Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • plunet
    • By plunet 30th Nov 17, 5:02 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 23Thanks
    plunet
    y-cam homemonitor ending free cloud recording
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:02 PM
    y-cam homemonitor ending free cloud recording 30th Nov 17 at 5:02 PM
    I've got some Y-Cam Homemonitor CCTV cameras, and when purchased these came with "Lifetime 7 day cloud recording", but it seems that Y-Cam have had a change of heart and T&Cs and are withdrawing the 7 day free cloud recording for devices that have been active for more than one year.

This is obvious a significant change in their service proposition and their T&Cs and what they advertised their products to come with.

I guess others might be picking up on this. Do others have any suggestions on whether we should fight this?
Page 5
    • iDragon
    • By iDragon 11th Dec 17, 7:05 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    iDragon
    Got my refund after return, top service from amazon, not so much y-cam.
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 12th Dec 17, 1:04 AM
    • 811 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    Interesting thread - I bought an identical camera to the one in the pictures for around 35 quid a few years ago. So the Y-Cam label and the cloud service adds 65 or so to the purchase price. That's enough to buy 100GB of Google Drive storage for nearly 4 years and I would guess that 7 days recording takes up far less than that (I've never actually used ours for recording).
    • iDragon
    • By iDragon 12th Dec 17, 7:10 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    iDragon
    yeah, sounds about right. Knew that paying a good premium for the included services, but would rather have a one off fee than recurring, so didn't have to even think about it. Sounds but sounds like someone didn't get their plan right.
    • plunet
    • By plunet 12th Dec 17, 11:31 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    plunet
    Which? have put up a news story, but it's more like they have taken a bit of consumer feedback and published a press release from Y-Cam. Nothing useful on the consumer legality of the situation. Useless.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/12/y-cam-now-charging-for-previously-free-cloud-storage/
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 24th Dec 17, 9:59 AM
    • 3,629 Posts
    • 1,886 Thanks
    ballyblack
    Got my refund after return, top service from amazon, not so much y-cam.
    Originally posted by iDragon

Got my refund from Amazon 2/3 weeks ago

However I tried to get a refund on the other camera purchased at the same time from Amazon

Amazon is giving me the run around and saying they will look into it.. ....!

Has their refund policy changed?

PS. There are very little Y-cams on Amazon now, have they pulled them?

any advice ??

Last edited by ballyblack; 24-12-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    • plunet
    • By plunet 26th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    plunet
    I have had the return of the three cameras I purchased from Amazon approved last week... I took my time to ask for the refund as I was still mulling up my options on what to do, but the returns were approved very swiftly without any further questions being asked.

Two of my cameras were puchased in 2015, only one was more recent - 2017. Even the 2017 camera, despite being used for less than 12 months, has had the free 7-day cloud service removed.
    • susururu
    • By susururu 28th Dec 17, 2:08 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    susururu
    How did you get Amazon to provide a refund? I purchased up to seven cameras in 2013 and 2014. I called today and spoke to upper level support and they said the cameras were too old and I need to pursue recourse with manufacturer.
    • susururu
    • By susururu 28th Dec 17, 2:45 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    susururu
    Do you have any words of wisdom when dealing with Amazon. I called today and they pushed back because the seven (7) cameras were purchased in 2013 and 2014. Even if they were to take back, they implied that credit would be pennies on the dollar. I am frustrated since others appear to have prevailed.
    Last edited by susururu; 28-12-2017 at 3:07 AM.
    • Timmy
    • By Timmy 29th Dec 17, 11:40 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Timmy
    Do you have any words of wisdom when dealing with Amazon. I called today and they pushed back because the seven (7) cameras were purchased in 2013 and 2014. Even if they were to take back, they implied that credit would be pennies on the dollar. I am frustrated since others appear to have prevailed.
    Originally posted by susururu
    I purchased mine in 2014 and Amazon gave me a full refund with no trouble at all. I pointed out in my initial email that the title of Amazons own description clearly pointed out no ongoing fees yet I'm now being asked to pay. I said their description was inaccurate, I purchased based on their description and as such I would like to return for a full refund. They immediately sent pre-paid return details and money (full amount) was refunded within 24 hours.

Personally I prefer to use email rather than phone or live chat. I realise it can take a little longer but it seems you get a different person responding each time if you don't get the answer you want first time round. Sooner or later someone will play ball, although in this case it was sorted first time. Best of luck!
    • Timmy
    • By Timmy 29th Dec 17, 11:56 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Timmy
    Which? have put up a news story, but it's more like they have taken a bit of consumer feedback and published a press release from Y-Cam. Nothing useful on the consumer legality of the situation. Useless.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/12/y-cam-now-charging-for-previously-free-cloud-storage/
    Originally posted by plunet
    They initially said they felt it was in breach of some law or other but very quickly pulled the story and re-posted without that being mentioned. I have contacted them for clarification as others did also and after pushing them, they said that when you agree to the T&C's setting up your online acount, you are agreeing that they may charge at some point in the future.

What I would still like to know, if anyone with a legal mind is reading, is can a company offer a product such as this with the promise of free lifetime cloud storage and then tell you once you've set it up, that the only way to activate and use the item is by agreeing to waive your right to the promise of free for life cloud storage. That is what Y-Cam have done as the camera can only be used in conjunction with their online acount. Without agreeing to those new terms when setting up the account, the camera was useless to anyone as it's designed in such a way that it can't be used in any other set up other than through Y-Cams own cloud.
    Last edited by Timmy; 29-12-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    • susururu
    • By susururu 29th Dec 17, 10:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    susururu
    Thank You Timmy... I will try again via email
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 30th Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    • 7,354 Posts
    • 3,849 Thanks
    buglawton
    If 7 days of free storage is unsustainable for Y-cam, does this mean that the free storage offer for the Arlo cameras is also likely to end? Another thing that is conspicuously missing from all cam manufacturers offerings is emailing some stills of motion events, wouldn't that involve no storage? I seem to recall an Android cam app that sends free pics in emails on motion detection.
    • memsaab
    • By memsaab 4th Jan 18, 3:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    memsaab
    Do the decent thing and update the firmware y-cam!
    These are ip cameras and like all of them if Y-cam really wanted to they could just issue new firmware allowing you to use the cameras to send recordings to Dropbox, via FTP to some other 3rd party service and even email.

Having followed and read the threads here and other forums I am surprised no Y-cam users have demand them to update their firmware to allow the above. Don't be fobbed off they can easily do this.

But I suspect they want to try and get as many unfortunate users to cough up begrudgingly than to do the decent thing and offer their customers alternative solutions.

I work for another UK IP camera maker so I know for a fact this can be done. So come on Y-cam either refund your customers or update your firmware to allow your long standing and loyal customers to keep using the cameras they have paid for after all.

MS
    • FrugalMav
    • By FrugalMav 5th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    FrugalMav
    This is the crap response i got from Y cam after requesting a full refund as the cameras are no longer fit for purpose as they can no longer provide the free 7 day cloud storage. Think its time to contact my credit card company.

(Purchased late 2016)

Thank you for providing your Y-cam order details. Based on the length of time the cameras have been used by you, and serviceability, the refund that I am able to provide is 50% against the amount originally paid. On the original order you paid 181.99, so the refund once everything has been received will be 91.00.

Please let me know if you accept this, and I will arrange to sent you a freepost label, and once received a refund can be processed.
    • Timmy
    • By Timmy 8th Jan 18, 5:12 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Timmy
    These are ip cameras and like all of them if Y-cam really wanted to they could just issue new firmware allowing you to use the cameras to send recordings to Dropbox, via FTP to some other 3rd party service and even email.

Having followed and read the threads here and other forums I am surprised no Y-cam users have demand them to update their firmware to allow the above. Don't be fobbed off they can easily do this.

But I suspect they want to try and get as many unfortunate users to cough up begrudgingly than to do the decent thing and offer their customers alternative solutions.

I work for another UK IP camera maker so I know for a fact this can be done. So come on Y-cam either refund your customers or update your firmware to allow your long standing and loyal customers to keep using the cameras they have paid for after all.

MS
    Originally posted by memsaab
    People have requested just that on their facebook page and Y-cam have responded saying it isn't possible. We of course know that's a load of nonsense, they are simply choosing not to do so. The cameras really weren't that great in the first place anyway, it was the free storage that made them an attractive purchase. I would have thought even if they did offer a firmware update freeing the camera from the Y-Cam cloud, most would soon end up buying a better camera for the job as they can be had for a fraction of the cost of the Y-cams.

Personally I don't see that as an acceptable compromise anyway. Either continue with the promised free storage for existing customers or fully refund those that choose to leave.
    • FrugalMav
    • By FrugalMav 9th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    FrugalMav
    People have requested just that on their facebook page and Y-cam have responded saying it isn't possible. We of course know that's a load of nonsense, they are simply choosing not to do so. The cameras really weren't that great in the first place anyway, it was the free storage that made them an attractive purchase. I would have thought even if they did offer a firmware update freeing the camera from the Y-Cam cloud, most would soon end up buying a better camera for the job as they can be had for a fraction of the cost of the Y-cams.

Personally I don't see that as an acceptable compromise anyway. Either continue with the promised free storage for existing customers or fully refund those that choose to leave.
    Originally posted by Timmy
    They are not making it easy to get a full refund... Are they calling my bluff that they have chatted to Trading standards? Need to check this with Trading standards or get in contact with my credit card company but this is like trying to get blood out of a stone, but im not giving in.

"Thank you for getting back to me.

We have had a meeting with Trading Standards, and based on the price point, reasonable usage and serviceability 3 years can be expected on average. As you have stated you wish to receive a refund, as there has been use of the camera, and service then the refund is adjusted accordingly.

The refund offer is 50% against the original price paid which is 91.00"
    • Timmy
    • By Timmy 9th Jan 18, 6:22 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Timmy
    Well even if they have had a meeting with Trading Standards as they claim, there's no telling whether or not they've put the full story across. Since the announcement I've seen them post outright lies in defence to peoples comments so I wouldn't take their word on anything!
    • awatkins
    • By awatkins 15th Jan 18, 7:36 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    awatkins
    Refunded Fully by amazon
    Hi all, I purchased 6 of these cameras in 2015, in fact almost 1,000 worth over a period of months. Having tried to contact Y-Cam three times and having NO RESPONSE whatsoever, I then raised a complaint with amazon. I provided amazon with all the relevant information, including the product shots with the 'LIFETIME' promise on, as well as various other bits of information already included on this thread. I also made the point that amazon were the main distributor for Y-Cam in the UK (other than Y-Cam themselves) and therefore they had a responsibility.
    It's taken a few weeks, but after numerous emails to their Executive Customer Relations team and they had consulted with their legal department, I have to say amazon have been BRILLIANT.
    Having removed and returned all the cameras to amazon, I've now received a full refund, albeit in giftcard credit.
    Fantastic service from amazon, who I assume have agreed with us consumers that the change in terms by Y-Cam in is breach of the original purchase contract.
    Very poor on Y-Cam and will never buy or recommend them again.
    • FrugalMav
    • By FrugalMav 16th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    FrugalMav
    WHY DID I NOT BUY THROUGH AMAZON!!!!!

Has anyone had any luck getting a full refund through Y-CAM directly?
    They said they will only give me 50% refund as i have had them since mid 2016. Debating which is better to contact trading standards or my credit card company to take this forward?
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 20th Jan 18, 1:28 PM
    • 2,577 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    britishboy
    Has any of you found a decent alternative IP camera with free cloud storage, even if its for a few days?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

2,190Users online

Martin's Twitter