Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Clipster
    • By Clipster 30th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Council house purchase - continued service charges.
    • #1
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    Council house purchase - continued service charges. 30th Nov 17 at 2:36 PM
    After buying my council house in 2014 I have received a yearly bill for 'Neighbourhood services'. This year I decided to question what exactly I was paying for. It seems the charges are for Caretaking, Grounds Maintenance and Management. My property (a semi detached) does not benefit in any way from this charge and it would seem I am subsidising the council flats the other side of a busy road from me which the council argues is part of my estate. Do you think there is any point trying to argue my point or do I have to just pay up and shut up? Does anybody know of any legal precedent I could use to get out of this charge? I am way out of my depth on this, I asked for a breakdown of the charges relating to my property and received a general letter with nothing specific on it. I am now stuck, because I questioned the invoice they have also decided to charge me for 18 months instead of 12 to add insult to injury!! Any input on this will be gratefully received, thanks for your time.
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 30th Nov 17, 2:41 PM
    • 7,662 Posts
    • 7,800 Thanks
    • #2
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:41 PM
    • #2
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:41 PM
    It's probably in your titles so you probably have to pay. Didn't your solicitors mention this at the time you bought?
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 30th Nov 17, 2:51 PM
    • 6,382 Posts
    • 5,892 Thanks
    • #3
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:51 PM
    • #3
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:51 PM
    read your purchase paperwork - it will be explained in there
    • harrys dad
    • By harrys dad 30th Nov 17, 3:49 PM
    • 1,892 Posts
    • 2,169 Thanks
    harrys dad
    • #4
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:49 PM
    • #4
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:49 PM
    Presumably before you bought these services were included in your rent. Now you are an owner you are expected to pay, although I agree with the poster who said this should have been spelled out to you during the purchase process, not least by your solicitor.

    Hopefully you still have some of your discount left and can pay it out of that.
    • Clipster
    • By Clipster 30th Nov 17, 4:30 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #5
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:30 PM
    • #5
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:30 PM
    Thanks for the quick replies. Yes the payment was mentioned in the title deeds and was probably mentioned by the solicitor that I used. I guess my argument is that I do not use or benefit from any of the services they claim to provide. When I purchased the house in 2014 the charges were 88, this year they are 120 so was hoping to get out of this charge. Again, thanks for your wisdom and I guess I'll pay the revised invoice when it arrives.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,110Posts Today

8,041Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin