Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Alastair83
    • By Alastair83 30th Nov 17, 11:28 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    • #1
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:28 AM
    Confused 30th Nov 17 at 11:28 AM
    Hi all

    I was wondering if you could help me, I live in Scotland so know the tax rate us slightly different but below is my question

    Currently I get 40,000 per year gross wage with fully expensed company car, this will move to 45,000 which leads me to believe ill be a higher tax payer

    so my questions are

    with me moving to a higher tax rate does this mean my BIK for company car will double to 40%

    I'm looking to start taking out childcare vouchers per month which will be tax free but if I take out the max allowed this will bring my taxable rate down wont it as it will make my gross wage under the 3,583 per month ? does this mean my BIK would stay at 20%

    last question, is it worth jumping to 45,000 or would I be better only going to 43,000 and remaining at 20% for company car

    hope that makes sense
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 30th Nov 17, 1:21 PM
    • 5,051 Posts
    • 3,287 Thanks
    • #2
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:21 PM
    • #2
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:21 PM
    Your tax rate will depend on your total taxable income. Without knowing the benefit value of the company car it!!!8217;s hard to comment. Also if paying into a pension that will effect it.

    Google salary calculator and use that website to work it out. There!!!8217;s an option to compare two salaries.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 30th Nov 17, 8:13 PM
    • 2,557 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • #3
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:13 PM
    • #3
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:13 PM
    You have misunderstood how tax works.

    There is no tax rate for company cars, you pay whatever tax applies to your personal circumstances.

    So in a very simple scenario if you were on 40000 and had a car benefit of 3001 you would be a 40% payer. But you would only pay 40% tax on 1.

    From your original post you already appear to be a higher rate payer as the standard limit in Scotland is 43000 so you must have a very low car benefit, you have overstated your salary (it is taxable salary which counts) or are paying some 40% tax.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 1st Dec 17, 12:58 AM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • #4
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:58 AM
    • #4
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:58 AM
    I'm confused by why you have posted this question in the Benefits forum and not the Tax forum -

    I'm also puzzled by why you would decline a salary increase. If you are so exercised at paying 40% tax, why not increase pension contribution to bring your taxable income back to the 20% rate?

    This Company Car Tax calculator may help you:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,276Posts Today

8,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin