Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SimpleLiving
    • By SimpleLiving 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    • 47Posts
    • 1,448Thanks
    SimpleLiving
    A Simpler Life 2018
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    A Simpler Life 2018 30th Nov 17 at 11:27 AM
    Every year at about this time, I get a yearning for a more simple way of life. A life that doesn't involve being bombarded with endless ads for x% off or buy a new sofa/kitchen/table/bed/car or your Christmas holiday will become a fate worse than death It really does get to me. I hate consumerism in general. It annoys me intensely that we waste so many resources making cheap non-essential rubbish that will end up in landfill a few months later. I think I must be some kind of grumpy, odd ball though as despite all the headlines about the economy and stagnant pay rises, the shops always seem to be rammed.
    Anyhow, I am planning to step back from it all in 2018:
    - no spending on unnecessary stuff. For example, I have enough clothes to last for years in one wardrobe and one chest of drawers. Books will come from the library. No fripperies!!
    - replace essential items where possible with good quality items preferably second hand, or british made or local where applicable
    - increase cooking from scratch. I buy too many things like biscuits etc that are far nicer and healthier homemade
    - make full use of garden and allotment for fruit, veg, preserves and wine.
    - forage for fruit, fungi, wood ....
    - spend more time outside, gardening, walking, enjoying nature to improve mental and physical well being
    - spend more time with my mum who is 76 and beginning to need me more
    - avoid pressure to conform!
    Anyone got any further ideas in how I could simplify life?
Page 68
    • dND
    • By dND 11th Aug 18, 9:43 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 6,673 Thanks
    dND
    Thank you Lessons learned and Mrs SD , I do have down days but I find reading my MSE e-mails each morning usually gives me the fillup I need to keep plodding on. The main problem is that it's so far out of my control (apart from dropping the price to silly level and then not being able to afford to get back to the UK anyway )

I've thought long and hard about what I pack already and while a lot of people might chuck out my boxes of books I know that I will be devastated in the future not having them

I do have a good feeling when I look round the rooms and go " you're not being transported, you're not being transported etc. etc" but I can't get rid of them just yet as I need the furniture to make the house not look empty. You know how big rooms are here Mrs SD, plus I do need somewhere for guests here to sit down I've already sussed out the BHF furniture stores for any extras I need once I'm in my next home!

I too am eating my way through my stores and it's stressful as well, as well as not making any more preserves But the plus side is that I can start again with a clean slate once it all happens

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Aug 18, 10:25 AM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 173,479 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Isn't it an odd feeling to be taking things out of store and not replacing them? and not making chutney after not making jam feels completely wrong. We echo in all the rooms now as the box mountains grow ever higher and the plus side is that I'm running very successfully on minimal wardrobe, minimal kitchen equipment and the only thing I'm really missing is my books. However I do have my trusty friend the kindle so it could be so much worse. Roll on the 29th!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 11th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    • 10,410 Posts
    • 65,580 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    dND When my husband got sick I had to sell our apartment in Spain. I spent six weeks painting all the balustrades, huge job......and making it all look beautiful. I instructed Estate Agents and came home.

It was a neighbour who actually sold it for me. She spotted someone loitering, ran out to them, showed them round. Whilst they were looking round she rang me said "what's your bottom line". I gave her some figures to work with and gave her carte blanche to do a deal.

Giving her autonomy to negotiate on my behalf and not have to keep ringing me or refer to the Estate Agent enabled her to haggle with confidence and get the deal. 30 minutes later she had sold it for me. I got a fair price, given the state of the market at the time, and of course no EA fees

I am an ex new homes sales negotiator myself so I can be hyper critical of estate agents in general but tbh I found most of the estate agents in Spain, whether Spanish or ex pats, were absolutely useless. Just too casual and no sense of urgency, and very unprofessional.

My neighbour on the other hand had just the right balance of friendliness and sales ability. She saw them looking and pounced.. She could answer all their questions about how the system worked, what it was like living in Spain and of course knew the area like the back of her hand. Bless her, she was brilliant.

I sold my apartment in three weeks after putting it in the market to a British couple, a year after the crash when nothing was selling.

At the same time a friend had a beautiful house in Spain and it was on the market for years. Again she was selling because of her husbands ill health. In the end she had to slash the price, reducing by something like 60 per cent. Her Spanish estate agents were worse than useless.

I priced my apartment very competitively, but with room to negotiate downwards. I gave it a bit of a revamp and made it look like a new build show flat.

What saved my bacon was the fluctuations in currency exchange rates. What I made on the exchange rates mitigated my loss on the sale price. In the end I broke even.

I was sorry to have to let it go but I knew that I would never live there without my husband.

I do hope you find a buyer soon.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 11-08-2018 at 1:13 PM.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 11th Aug 18, 1:20 PM
    • 10,410 Posts
    • 65,580 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Isn't it an odd feeling to be taking things out of store and not replacing them? and not making chutney after not making jam feels completely wrong. We echo in all the rooms now as the box mountains grow ever higher and the plus side is that I'm running very successfully on minimal wardrobe, minimal kitchen equipment and the only thing I'm really missing is my books. However I do have my trusty friend the kindle so it could be so much worse. Roll on the 29th!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker

I feel like I'm living in limbo.....can't start anything, can't even clean the house properly because there are boxes everywhere.

Never mind.....it won't be long now.

Yesterday was exactly 4 years since my husband died.....it is the first year that I haven't been in pieces. It's fate. New house, new life.

Time to lose the mantle of widowhood and embrace a new way of living as a singleton.

Yes I'm nervous and anxious but I tell myself it will all come right in the end. Just have to take a leap of faith.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 173,479 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Of course it will! you'll be fine and so will we it's just I am a creature of order and habit and my world like yours I suspect is very much upside down, inside out and all in boxes! I keep telling myself I am the one who was driving the move so I am the one who will make it all OK at the other end and I'm really looking forward to a new start and new life but I'm tired and so is He Who Knows and we'll be jolly glad when it's all over and we can get a decent nights sleep again, is that a thing with you LL? 2am finds us both awake and pondering!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 11th Aug 18, 5:07 PM
    • 10,410 Posts
    • 65,580 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Yes, I have started waking up early again. I was doing so well too. Never mind, as you say, all will be well.

I am reading a lovely little book...."Ikigai. The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life". Very uplifting. I feel a lot more relaxed today. I have a feeling I will sleep better tonight.

Not been able to do much packing today. Have a poorly left hand. Stabbed one fjnger with a screwdriver yesterday, and then today got a wasp sting on the finger next to it. So I have been taking it easy, reading and then tonight I will watch a nice film.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 11-08-2018 at 5:11 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,474Posts Today

7,312Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin