Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SimpleLiving
    • By SimpleLiving 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    • 47Posts
    • 1,452Thanks
    SimpleLiving
    A Simpler Life 2018
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    A Simpler Life 2018 30th Nov 17 at 11:27 AM
    Every year at about this time, I get a yearning for a more simple way of life. A life that doesn't involve being bombarded with endless ads for x% off or buy a new sofa/kitchen/table/bed/car or your Christmas holiday will become a fate worse than death It really does get to me. I hate consumerism in general. It annoys me intensely that we waste so many resources making cheap non-essential rubbish that will end up in landfill a few months later. I think I must be some kind of grumpy, odd ball though as despite all the headlines about the economy and stagnant pay rises, the shops always seem to be rammed.
    Anyhow, I am planning to step back from it all in 2018:
    - no spending on unnecessary stuff. For example, I have enough clothes to last for years in one wardrobe and one chest of drawers. Books will come from the library. No fripperies!!
    - replace essential items where possible with good quality items preferably second hand, or british made or local where applicable
    - increase cooking from scratch. I buy too many things like biscuits etc that are far nicer and healthier homemade
    - make full use of garden and allotment for fruit, veg, preserves and wine.
    - forage for fruit, fungi, wood ....
    - spend more time outside, gardening, walking, enjoying nature to improve mental and physical well being
    - spend more time with my mum who is 76 and beginning to need me more
    - avoid pressure to conform!
    Anyone got any further ideas in how I could simplify life?
Page 65
    • dND
    • By dND 28th Apr 18, 9:00 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 6,797 Thanks
    dND
    I did look into that, but I didn't like it, just realised I'm very emotionally attached to objects. I've kinda found a method that so far is working for me.

Today I've gone through all the envelopes I've kept from letters received and cut off all the stamps for charity, now the envelopes are in the recycling. It's only a small thing as I've been out all day, but it's just dong something with stuff that I've kept for years
    Originally posted by kacie
    You sound so like me Kacie.
    I did what you are doing, letting go of the absolute rubbish while recycling the good bits. I then used a bit of Kondo, but like you said, I found I was really emotionally attached to my things and that made making decisions about what to let go, very difficult.

I now use what I call my'shaving' method. I relinquish a bit at a time and move things out to a 'to go' pile as and when I decide it can go. It's easier for me as I can change my mind but having reduced the first bits I now find it easier and easier to decide what I really want or need.

In many ways, identifying that I had a problem and working through that was the hardest bit. Emmaus (a charity chain in France) has now received 2 large car loads of items and one large trailer load has been on a trip to the tip - and that's not counting what I've been able to burn here (I have a small farm, so lots of space for a big bonfire )

Onwards and upwards, you'll get there

• dND
    • By dND 28th Apr 18, 9:07 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 6,797 Thanks
    dND
    dND, it took us 8 years to sell but now the papers are signed (2 hours in the notaire’s office ) I am sending selling vibes your way - you will sell up, you will find a buyer, this will happen in 2018 MrsSD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    Thank you.

8 years makes my 3 look very small . Where in the UK are you heading and do you know about the FB group for people wanting to return to the UK - lots of helpful people there and lots of information?

I hope your wrist has recovered from initialling all those sheets of paper

• lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 28th Apr 18, 9:45 AM
    • 10,495 Posts
    • 66,441 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning everyone.

I've been awol and just been having a catch up.

Emiai. I just wanted to say want a fantastic post. I loved it.

I can relate to your Matalan Moment. I was once in one of the ASDA Walmart hyper stores. It was heaving. That's when I had my Road to Damascus Moment. All I could see was a sea of miserable faces, over stressed people grabbing, pushing and shoving. Someone rammed me with their trolly and really hurt me (no apology). There were angry parents yelling at their crying children, the noise was deafening, it was like a war zone. I started to panic a bit, shaking and sweating and felt dizzy. Like you I turned tail and fled.

We also have one of those malls, I hate it. I rarely go and never at weekends. Both the superstore and the mall seem to encapsulate all that is wrong with overconsumption and capitalism run amok. Black Friday and the greed it seems to unleash makes me despair.

Anyway glad you had your happy ending and found your happy medium.

We don't have to become extreme minimalists or live like Buddhist monks (unless of course we want to) but it's such a joy to be able to walk away from the all the madness and find our own particular sweet spot.

I am getting there. I am very happy where I am right now. I am almost 4 years into widowhood. It's been a hard journey but after having another big clear out I do feel much happier, freer and more positive about my future as a singleton.

I have started a part time college course.....just for fun ...and I have put my house on the market. I think it was the purge and the clear out that has made this possible. It gave me a fresh perspective and a real energy boost.

Happy simplifying everyone.
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 29th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Hello everyone

Went swimming this morning and renewed my subscription so there is really no excuse now to not go once a week or so. When I came home and hung my swimm suit I found that it is starting to get very thin around the edges... Well, I had it for about six or seven years and used it quite often, so it is ok, but I still hate to have to shop around for a new one now... I actually hoped it would last for a while so that I could lose some more weight and have less trouble finding one... Well, I did ordered one now and hope it will fit...
    On another clothes-related note I was thinking long and hard about keeping something just because it was handmade and I worked on it for ages... I knitted myself a summer top last year and it was a mess right from the start. I intended to wear it with a skirt but made it too long, so it looked strange and I wore it with trousers instead. Also, it wasn't as tight around the hips as it should have been and there was also an issue with the neckline. Plus I never really liked the yarn, not when working on it and not when wearing.... So yesterday I wore it for the first time this spring. I have lost almost a stone since January and apparently mostly around my hip :-) So it is now waaays to wide. I thought about ways to make it wearable for a few weeks more, but then decided that I don't really want to put any more work into it and so it will have to go...
    I'm pretty proud about my decision to donate something that has taken me so long to knit...

dND good luck with selling the house!

Kacie welcome! It is funny really that when you tidy and declutter things have a tendency to get worst at the beginning... I decluttered my office lately, spent an evening going through everythign and then another one just tidying after myself.... DOn't let the mess put you down!

lessonlearned great that simplifying your life gave you enough time and capacity for your course! I agree with you, we all have to find the right way of minimalism and simplicity and what works for someone might not work for someone else.

I'll spend the afternoon reading and planning my upcoming holiday. It is still seven weeks till then, but I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed with all the possiblities... We're going to Wales with the campervan, so there is so much to see and do and we somehow have to narrow it down to "places we want to see" and "places we could go to when there is time/we're near there anyway" So if anyone has tips for things to do and see in Wales; pass them on!
    My sister has created a map online and we are currently at the "dumping stage" where we just add everything we might want to see and then we'll have to sit down for an afternoon and sort it and find campgrounds near the things we want to see.

Have a lovely Sunday everyone!
    Resolution for 2018"Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • kacie
    • By kacie 30th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 2,717 Thanks
    kacie
    Not so much getting rid today, but I have been cooking to make lunches simpler this week. In between the cooking I've planted lettuce seeds and have done a little decluttering, my desk is almost usable again
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 3rd May 18, 12:02 AM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 11,932 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi from France

Life is getting simpler here in France Eleven runs to the Tip, six or more trips to the Bottle Bank, loads of furniture sold, quite a large number of household wares sold, as well as toys & games Still a large amount of stuff to be sorted & more furniture to be sold + a huge amount of general stuff to be sold. Paperwork has been signed & have a tentative departure date.

To a Simpler 2018
    MrsSD
    • dND
    • By dND 3rd May 18, 7:33 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 6,797 Thanks
    dND
    Hi from France

Life is getting simpler here in France Eleven runs to the Tip, six or more trips to the Bottle Bank, loads of furniture sold, quite a large number of household wares sold, as well as toys & games Still a large amount of stuff to be sorted & more furniture to be sold + a huge amount of general stuff to be sold. Paperwork has been signed & have a tentative departure date.

To a Simpler 2018
    MrsSD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    Fabulous news Mrs SD. I've just filed my French tax form - life will be so much simpler when I don't have to do that as well as the UK one and the agricultural PAC!!!

• RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 4th May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Evening everyone

Mrs S, glad to hear things start to look better! Hope it goes on like this!

kacie, time spent preparing food to make cooking during the week easier (and maybe also make sure that you don't reach for a take out on busy days) make life so much easier, it is just as useful as decluttering.

I decluttered some sentimental stuff earlier this week. I currently have a small box of cards and photographs upstairs and two big boxes in the basement, one with toys and baby clothes and one with school stuff, diaries and old notebooks that I don't want to bin. I had a look through the box upstairs and binned some stuff but also enjoyed rereading some lovely cards .
    Plan for the weekend is having a look at the other two boxes and try to reduce the paper stuff. I'm not sure why I'm keeping all my appointment diaries back to 2001. I might keep one or two (one turned into a friendship book where my friends left me notes) but the rest will have to go.

I had a long nap when I came home and felt like new when I got up. Will still try to have an early night and go up early tomorrow. Plan is to go swimming and then to the shops in the morning plus some cleaning. In the afternoon, my sister, granny and I will go to the gardencentre and buy a car boot full of balcony plants. On the way there we'll have ice cream in a caf! by the lake and afterwards dinner at my parents. We always make an outing out of things like that. Sunday will be another swim, cleaning the camper van and some more home and admin stuff and hopefully heaps of knitting.

Have a lovely long weekend everyone! I'll be back to work on Monday but we have a holiday on Thursday and I take Friday off, so my sister and I will go away with the camper van for a few days.
    Resolution for 2018"Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 7th May 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 11,932 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    everyone

Looks like everyone is going great guns on their own paths to a Simpler Life

Every success however large or small seems like a lightening of the load. I find myself smiling more & being slower to get annoyed at trivial things

Here in France, things are going slowly but DH is chivying my DSis & me along (boot up the ‘arris really ) Still have way too much stuff to get rid of but we are persevering DSis has just binned a large black bag of ruined bedding from her room

We will keep plugging away & when we return to London I will have a renewed vigour as I will be able to make my own decisions about what goes out & what stays it is very wearying running everything past DSis - but as she knows she is in charge there should be no regrets & I must admit that with a lot of things she has been a brutal declutterer
    That seems to be the problem on those hoarding programmes - the hoarder gets bullied & is rarely happy or comfortable

Anyway off to do some more decluttering

To a Simpler 2018

MrsSD
    • kacie
    • By kacie 8th May 18, 8:26 AM
    • 814 Posts
    • 2,717 Thanks
    kacie
    The top of my desk is now clear, I've still got the shelves underneath to do but at least I can use it when needed now.

I'm trying to get into the habit of making the bed each morning,it just looks neater even if the rest of the room is a mess!

Did a bit more planting over the weekend too, my lettuces are starting up come up, beetroot seedlings have been transplanted, re done the courgette seeds as nothing was coming up from the ones I did previously.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 10th May 18, 6:34 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 11,932 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone

Have spent the last three days rereading this thread & have come to the conclusion that my Simpler Life journey will restart when we are back home & I am in charge

We are still trying to declutter here in France but without the hordes of people turning up it is very slow going Unfortunately it means that a mahoosive amount of stuff will be going to the Tip as we are now on the final leg of the French declutter Hoping to be fully settled at home within the next two weeks

I wish everyone plain sailing on their journeys to a Simpler Life

MrsSD
    • tryingtobethrifty
    • By tryingtobethrifty 11th May 18, 10:25 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    tryingtobethrifty
    Hello! Do you mind if I join? I thought last night that today I would get back to Kon Marie-ing the house. I did it last year but you really need to keep on top of it, so thought I'll just pop on to the Old Style thread as haven't been in ages and started reading this thread. Well, that was 1am last night and I have now finished reading it all, poor kids have been deserted most of the day. I must say this is the nicest and friendliest thread I have ever read with lots of handy information too.

I sorted my kitchen out today, gave away some cups, plates, jug and teapot. There are 5 of us so I only keep out a certain number of plates etc and cutlery. Then hide right in the back of the cupboard more for when we have guests. I find if we limit how many plates etc we have out we wash up more often and keep a tidier kitchen.

Tonight I'm just pottering about on the computer as my kids have been building a den all week and they're away to sleep overnight in it (with dad).
    "A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others" Barnyard the children's film.

"A wise man hears one word, but understands two" Cars 2
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th May 18, 10:01 AM
    • 16,264 Posts
    • 138,818 Thanks
    JackieO
    I am slowly decluttering my kitchen cupboards I am hoping to move in around two years time and I seem to have accumulated far too much junk in the cupboards.Mainly unused china and crockery Its daft as there is only me and the occasional visitor My house is pretty small with no dining room so why I have kept all this junk I don't know Both DDs have no use for it so its going to the CS as they may get someone who needs it. I did the glasses cuboard over the top of the cooker and its great now as a lot of glasses were got rid of Now its time for the crockery to go
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19. July added equals £204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals £227.75
    1st Sept £34.66:15th Sept £34.44 totals £262.19
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 13th May 18, 6:15 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Evening everyone

I've been away for a few days with my sister in the camper van. It was quite simple living. The place we went has a tourist card that offers free travels on all the public transport plus free entry into most of the museums and the zoo for quite a resonable price. The first day we went on a sight seeing bus tour and visited a castle, the second day we went to the zoo and the third we went for a hike. In between there was a lot of walking, sitting in the sun, eating ice cream and some shopping. In the evening we sat outside our van, reading or knitting, enjoying the view. Aw, it was bliss! I feel miles away from work!
    I'm proud to say that we didn't went shopping just for shoppings sake, we only went to about 5 shops and all I bought, besides some special cider, was a tea stainer (one of these big ones to put into the teapot) and a little basket to hold tomatos or fruit that I don't want to be sitting in the fruit bowl with the other fruit.
    I guess the biggest motivation to not buy more was my recently decluttered flat. I saw some lovely cups and nearly bought one, but then reminded myself that I'm only allowed 10 teacups and one had to go to make room for a new one... Well, in theory I have two cups I'm not too fond of, so I could have parted with one of them, but funny enough I had forgotten about them... So now new cup for me...

kacie, I decided to make my bed in the morning about two or three years ago and it was a matter of two or three weeks where I had to make an effort each morning, but then it became part of my routine and I don't think twice about it.

MrsS I bet you're looking forward to coming home into your own life!

Welcome, tryingtobethrifty. It is a wonderful and supportive tread, isn't it? We all have the same goal, but different approaches, motivations and ideas.

Jackie, I don't know why, but the kitchen seems to be the place where things accumulate the quickest... I moved in 2013 and decluttered loads (mostly things I bought when I moved out because my Mum had them and then found I don't need them and haven't used since moving out...). A year later I got a new kitchen and had to pack everything up and did another round of decluttering and started wondering why I have 3 bottle openers and whether they had been there a year earlier... - and if so, why did I kept all of them???

I just cooked myself a healthy lunch for tomorrow (spuds with a quark dip and some veg) and will now go for a walk and then sit down and write a shopping list for tomorrow. Will have to live very healthy to make up for all the ice cream, crisps and bacon sarnies (yes, this is the "part-time-vegetarian" speaking... Feeling slighly guilty...)

Have a lovely evening and a good start into the week everyone!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 18th May 18, 12:26 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 11,932 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    The Simpler Life is in sight but it may have to be in prison - now that DH & DB are driving DSis’ stuff back to my house & there is no buffer between DSis & I - I might just commit murder She does talk for England & France - whatever happened to sitting in amicable silence

Anyway that aside, today we will be cleaning & tidying & decluttering the last bits before departure next Wednesday

I am sooo looking forward to sleeping in my own bed & resuming my own decluttering with a vengeance but also will have to declutter mountains of DSis’ stuff. The thing I am dreading most is seeing my home completely chocker with boxes & crates & furniture after all the hard work I put in before coming to France - I could cry

But hey ho - on the bright side DH & I will not be subsidising DSis anymore The house in France was way too big for one person & ill health meant DSis couldn’t go out to work

Good luck to everyone on their quest for a Simpler Life

From a cold & overcast France

MrsSD
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 18th May 18, 3:50 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 19,320 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Hi MrsSD, If your sis has been alone for some time, there may be a simple need for her to talk to people about the things that went on in her life until she feels they are 'up to date'. You may have to be a bit upfront about it if it bothers you; I usually explain the rules of communication again, that it is an exchange and we take turns With a broad smile I usually get away with it, and it really helps. Talking too much will chase people away, only the people who really care about you will stay, but not always gladly.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 773.48 = £ 659.50
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 22nd May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 11,932 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Thanks for that Siebrie The unfortunate thing about the chatting is that prior to coming to France I was phoning DSis two/three times a week an hour at a time & for 10 years Last year we had four visits & have been here this time for 5.5 weeks 24/7

On a brighter note, I am so looking forward to sleeping on my Tempur mattress and being in charge again - not having to run everything past DSis Every time I make a decision on my own (even binning ood food) I am informed I have done it wrong - it is wearying beyond belief I just have to bite my tongue until it bleeds (a lot easier now the antibiotics are kicking in & I can move my jaws properly ) count to 1,000 & wander off for a walk

But I must remember it is more difficult for her after all she has lived here for 22.3 years ! & the last 8 years on her own, as her DS has his own place & is an infrequent visitor

Sorry for whingeing but I do feel better for having written it down & not burdening my long suffering DH who is now beginning to look a little frayed around the edges

Next time I post will be from home

MrsSD
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 22nd May 18, 5:26 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 19,320 Thanks
    Siebrie
    But I must remember it is more difficult for her

Maybe you need to inform her that it is also difficult for you? Have a sit-down session to go through houserules, evaluate every x months (making it a regular event takes the emotions more or less out).
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 773.48 = £ 659.50
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Molillie
    • By Molillie 24th May 18, 10:24 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    Molillie
    This thread reappeared! (clearly I haven't kept up) will enjoy reading all your comments.

I'm also starting to post on the No Clutter to be Seen thread, to make me get on with things, as I've been off task this year.

Now I'm trying to decide just how many fleece blankets and towels the dog needs. I've been using sports towels on her, the microfibre sort, and also my own retired normal ones. I'll not buy any more of the microfibre because of the water pollution issues, but they show no signs of wearing out anytime soon, and I think some could probably be donated for other dogs.
    • Molillie
    • By Molillie 24th May 18, 10:31 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    Molillie
    Jackie O, I'm with you on the crockery and glassware, I did the mugs, and they are easier to keep under control now I know no more can come in, and if I'm given a new one, an old one must be donated. I'm also on the track towards moving in a couple of years, so would like to get the house to a really good state before that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,084Posts Today

7,941Users online

Martin's Twitter