Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SimpleLiving
    • By SimpleLiving 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    • 47Posts
    • 1,448Thanks
    SimpleLiving
    A Simpler Life 2018
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    A Simpler Life 2018 30th Nov 17 at 11:27 AM
    Every year at about this time, I get a yearning for a more simple way of life. A life that doesn't involve being bombarded with endless ads for x% off or buy a new sofa/kitchen/table/bed/car or your Christmas holiday will become a fate worse than death It really does get to me. I hate consumerism in general. It annoys me intensely that we waste so many resources making cheap non-essential rubbish that will end up in landfill a few months later. I think I must be some kind of grumpy, odd ball though as despite all the headlines about the economy and stagnant pay rises, the shops always seem to be rammed.
    Anyhow, I am planning to step back from it all in 2018:
    - no spending on unnecessary stuff. For example, I have enough clothes to last for years in one wardrobe and one chest of drawers. Books will come from the library. No fripperies!!
    - replace essential items where possible with good quality items preferably second hand, or british made or local where applicable
    - increase cooking from scratch. I buy too many things like biscuits etc that are far nicer and healthier homemade
    - make full use of garden and allotment for fruit, veg, preserves and wine.
    - forage for fruit, fungi, wood ....
    - spend more time outside, gardening, walking, enjoying nature to improve mental and physical well being
    - spend more time with my mum who is 76 and beginning to need me more
    - avoid pressure to conform!
    Anyone got any further ideas in how I could simplify life?
Page 63
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 8th Apr 18, 3:22 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 10,278 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Re silicone - I had a silicone cake mould - tried it once & it was way too floppy nearly ended with cake on the floor so eventually donated to cs maybe the next person will have better luck

White_musk - ‘used & appreciated’ I hav quite a few of those

MrsSD
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 8th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    White_musk
    Re silicone - I had a silicone cake mould - tried it once & it was way too floppy nearly ended with cake on the floor so eventually donated to cs maybe the next person will have better luck

White_musk - ‘used & appreciated’ I hav quite a few of those

MrsSD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    My tray is very small, this is it here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Cup-Silicone-Muffin-Pan-Tray-Mould-Home-Bakeware-Non-Stick-Bake-Baking/292254416596?hash=item440bb87ed4:m:mrcAV4XaYN8n4ZT kJFhDL0A I do wonder reading all the posts if I was just lucky in only buying a small one as the larger ones do seem to be a bit of a struggle to move when full.

Used and appreciated, yes I have quite a bit of that around the house and they are very special for all kinds of reasons. I did have to part with some and that was difficult but when faced with keeping them and live in clutter or part with them and be neat and tidy the choice was made for me, even so, somethings did go with a very heavy heart.

I had a box that was full of things belonging to my two furry paws, I went through it today putting the things away and managed to throw out a couple of bits and recycled the box. Yay!
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
    • emiai
    • By emiai 9th Apr 18, 10:16 AM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 25,168 Thanks
    emiai
    This thread is my guilty pleasure. I often catch up but also restart and read back over all the old posts on here - and I have read through them all.

This inspired me to take a fresh look at how we live our lives in January, and I have to say I am feeling like a whole different person. At the start of the year I was wanting a much simpler life.. and I have been taken on a journey far beyond what I imagined.

I now have a truly healthy relationship with my finances, and have returned back to paid work, after doing many years of part time voluntary work whilst the children were small. We recognise as a couple that were 'lite minimalists' as we don't tend to buy things or keep things that dont have a use or purpose, but I use the term 'lite' as my husband has kept old consoles he can not seem to part with.. where as I have been able to photograph and say goodbye to many of my sentimentals.

I continue to declutter and simplify our lives and routines freeing up much more time for us as a family. I use a gratitude stone for fun and it made me laugh and smile a lot, and I also keep a scribble/happiness journal, using up those bits of stationary that I kept tucked away.

Whats mostly important.. which I wanted to note is how much joy I actually get from charity shops now.

I had some kind of meltdown in Matalan whilst looking for some boys track suit bottoms for my son. It wasn't a panic attack, but whatever happened was scary as hell and it was a real wake up call. I was pushed about by other shoppers in a really rude way, as they were grappling at items.. and I sort of froze on the spot just looking around in shock. Everyone was miserable, the lady who pushed me was shouting at her kids, the children were crying, hot and sweaty, no one was happy.. everything in the racks felt ugly and overpriced.. so I simply walked out, calmly and took big deep breaths outside. It was consumption in its most awful form, and I really didn't like it. No one wanted to be there, no one wanted to spending money and it most certainly wasn't adding joy to their lives. It felt miserable..

... which leads to.. when I donated some bags of toys this week, I found a lovely pair of jeans for £2 which someone else had donated - and they have made me so happy, if that was you!! Thank you!! I don't always buy when I drop off donations, so it has made me very happy to have a treat for myself. Its the only item of clothing I have bought in 2018 so far.

This was a bit long winded... so the other changes I have made in my life I will list instead..

I threw away all old cosmetics and was realistic about the fact I hate painting my nails, so I have given that up for now, so I am now officially make up free.

I used the coathanger trick to declutter my wardrobe and donated some lovely items that I always kept for best.. which are now too big for me.

I donated my spare coats, I did not need three.

I recognised I dont have the passion to always cook from scratch, and that is ok!

Lists are my friend, and I love crossing off tasks.. even if its just housework!

Love and luck to you all x
    Last edited by emiai; 09-04-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    GC 2018 NSDs = 90/172 and counting
    Oldstyle moneysaving addict
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Apr 18, 11:55 AM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 12,739 Thanks
    Wednesday2000

Lists are my friend, and I love crossing off tasks.. even if its just housework!
    Originally posted by emiai
    I love lists too. It makes me feel accomplished to work my way through a list and see it visually. I usually write one out and stick it on my fridge and cross it off with a pink or red felt tip. I have crossed off three things this morning already.
    2018: Simplify your life
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 9th Apr 18, 12:11 PM
    • 10,732 Posts
    • 118,035 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Sounds like you've got it sussed.

LW I really wanted them to work, partly because they are so light, but they were not meant for me. Your existing trays obviously have done sterling work for you
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    Most of my existing trays really and truly belong to Mr LW, he already had them when I moved in with him in 2002; but it's me that actually uses them these days. We have an ancient and venerable jam cauldron; it is very large and heavy, and has a lid - it originally belonged to Mr LW's grandmother!! It gets used still, as we make our own jam and marmalade.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 9th Apr 18, 12:34 PM
    • 8,191 Posts
    • 28,616 Thanks
    Primrose
    I have a massive cast iron enamelled jam and marmalade making pan, given to me by grandmother as an engagement present over 50 years ago when she gave up making her own preserves, .i wouldn,t part with it and had it re-enamelled but it now sadly resides in the loft as it covers all four gas hobs on my hob and is too heavy for me to lift!

All our marmalade making these days is made in a big copper based pan from Asda that is more user friendly, or in a big Pyrex bowl in the microwave.
    • frankiedarv
    • By frankiedarv 9th Apr 18, 3:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    frankiedarv
    I love lists too, I get so much done when i write a list. As for dishes a while back I realised that roasting tins last no time at all, yet my old pyrex dishes last for an eternity, so now i have no roasting tins and just use my pyrex, my mum also had some old white casserole dishes i think probably they were the forerunner to pyrex and they are still going strong and they are over 40 years old (definately got our moneys worth on those).

Lots of love
    Francesxx
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 9th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 4,681 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Ooh yes....lists are great. I wrote one the other day and at the end of it I wrote..."Also refer to other list in folder"....2 lists on the go at same time...scary!
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £43,599. 24% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... £1500.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £300 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 9th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    White_musk
    I like lists too. My husband used to tease me mercilessly as I would often write a shopping list and leave it on the table. Now I only need small amounts, I keep a running list on my phone which means I have my list. Chores are usually on the fridge.

I had a look through my cupboards but I really didn't find much to part with except the flan dish and a measuring jug. Still, it's a little bit of extra room. I do have a lot of toiletries though, I think I might go through my stash and see what I can get rid off. I don't want to throw anything that is just wasteful so I don't know if much will go.

I'm starting to feel at a bit of a loss. I really don't think there is much more I can realistically get rid off, however storage is still a bit of a problem. I think I need to just look at my life in segments and see how I can simplify things - without being a nun (laugh).

I forgot to switch the wall lights off when I went to bed last night, I'm not simplifying my electricity bill.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 9th Apr 18, 10:31 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    White_musk
    Does living a simpler life include one in one out? (smile). My vacuum decided to give up the ghost earlier so have had to order a new one. At the moment I definitely am one up as the old vacuum is outside to go to the tip but come tomorrow I will be back to square one when the new one arrives.

I remember my mums vacuum, it lasted forever. I can only remember her having two different ones. Things don't last now do they? I did think about getting a carpet sweeper but I have a dog that moults and I don't think a sweeper would get all of the hair up. My grandmother had a very old bissell and an equally old moulting dog. I also remember even into her 70's she would get down on hands and knees with a dustpan and brush daily. I don't think we are made like that generation either. If my memory is reliable, she only got a proper vacuum in her 80's and that was because she moved into a retirement village and my uncle hid her dustpan and brush.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Apr 18, 11:19 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 10,278 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    One in one out definitely makes life simpler - did you also get rid of the accessories & the manual?

Door to door salesman (along the lines of ‘Big Issue’ vendors) knocked on door tonight - I wasn’t going to buy anything but remembered my double oven glove was beyond repair & I kept burning myself so new glove bought & old one binned immediately Granted this is not the cheapest way to buy but I would not have added it to my shopping list & would have carried on burning myself plus he is a nice, polite young man trying to make good use of his ‘second chance’ which makes me feel as if I am helping in some small way

MrsSD
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 10th Apr 18, 5:44 AM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 5,277 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    I was pushed about by other shoppers in a really rude way, as they were grappling at items.. and I sort of froze on the spot just looking around in shock. Everyone was miserable, the lady who pushed me was shouting at her kids, the children were crying, hot and sweaty, no one was happy.. everything in the racks felt ugly and overpriced.. so I simply walked out, calmly and took big deep breaths outside. It was consumption in its most awful form, and I really didn't like it. No one wanted to be there, no one wanted to spending money and it most certainly wasn't adding joy to their lives. It felt miserable..
    Originally posted by emiai
    I can really relate to this. I've had moments where I've stopped and observed what's going on around me and thought "what is all this about?". I've watched those clips online of people rushing into the shops on Black Friday, fighting with each other, screaming. What on earth? We've been reduced to behaving like animals for the sake of the newest TV or hoover!

I love getting second hand bargains. Also, the other day I gave some clothes to a local CS and felt so good about it. The lady was so grateful and thanked me for "thinking of them". It benefits the charity and other people - win win
    My debt-free diary
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 10th Apr 18, 3:28 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    White_musk
    One in one out definitely makes life simpler - did you also get rid of the accessories & the manual?

Door to door salesman (along the lines of ‘Big Issue’ vendors) knocked on door tonight - I wasn’t going to buy anything but remembered my double oven glove was beyond repair & I kept burning myself so new glove bought & old one binned immediately Granted this is not the cheapest way to buy but I would not have added it to my shopping list & would have carried on burning myself plus he is a nice, polite young man trying to make good use of his ‘second chance’ which makes me feel as if I am helping in some small way

MrsSD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    I did. It's so nice to be able to need something and know exactly where it is and easy to get to. The new vacuum arrived today so the new guarantee and instruction manual have replaced the recycled ones. New vac is fab, very happy bunny.

In my quest for a simpler life I have, ehm, stalled. I just don't know what to do. I have some boxes I could go through and see if I can relocate I think that might be what I do. I might then also re-run through my drawers too. I think I have well and truly caught the (de) clutter-bug.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Apr 18, 3:55 PM
    • 10,732 Posts
    • 118,035 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Ooh yes....lists are great. I wrote one the other day and at the end of it I wrote..."Also refer to other list in folder"....2 lists on the go at same time...scary!
    Originally posted by ploppy57
    Before now, I have found myself making a list of my lists. Now that is scary.

Storage solution MSE style: I always keep old candle stubs, and when I have enough of one colour and sufficient energy to do it, I melt them down to make new candles. Currently I have the wax stored in scruffy old poly bags, some of which are falling apart - one actually disintegrated completely, leaving wax strewn all over the place.

For the last fortnight, I have had two dogs staying with me, who are fed on N@tral 1nstinct food, which comes in 1 kg plastic tubs, quite sturdy white ones, with lids; a bit like margarine tubs, really. One would normally chuck these tubs in the recycling, but I have decided to re-use them for my candle-wax. Tidier (they will stack neatly) and less mess as they won't fall apart easily. And they've cost me nowt!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Molillie
    • By Molillie 10th Apr 18, 9:57 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    Molillie
    I still like candles, and because friends know that I do, often receive them as presents, but instead of keeping the scraps to make new candles, I now melt them and soak cardboard or old scraps of cotton wool in them and pass them on to my friends who have logburners or real fires, they make fantastic firelighters. I stand the candle jars in water in the slow cooker on low to melt the wax.
    At the moment, my big project is to use all my yarn stash in blankets, which are so easy to make, and means I don't get lost looking at patterns for other stuff for hours. Board games have mainly gone to members of the family with children, and to a local methodist church, who use them at various clubs, and were delighted to get them. They just weren't being used by me any more, as I live alone now. It all still seems an effort, but each time a category is cleaned up or removed, I feel happy that it's done. Less stress is the way to go.
    • frugalish
    • By frugalish 10th Apr 18, 10:48 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    frugalish
    Re lists - my DH was keeping himself awake at night thinking about all the things he needed to do, so I suggested he make a list. Oh dear... He found the Wunderlist app, and I now have lists coming out of my ears ( of course he installed it on my phone too, so we can share the joy...) I'm getting things assigned for me to do each week... I wish I could drop his phone down the loo or something, but we can't afford to replace it!
    "What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?" - George Eliot

Grocery Challenge April 18 £183.42 / £250 = £66.58
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 11th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    White_musk
    Now this house is full unpacked from my move and all is put away, I've been thrilled with how little time it takes to keep it clean and tidy. I don't have OCD but I can't bare the thought of my home being dirty. I can scoot around with an expanding feather duster bought to clean blinds I had installed here, then the vacuum in less than half an hour, it's wonderful.

I've also looked at my diet. I have to be careful what I eat so cook from scratch every day. I have started to adapt some recipes so I can simplify them. Today I have a lamb steak in the slow cooker and I will do some veg in the steamer. This cuts down on washing up, time and the possibility to create a new charcoal dish I'm a good cook and have always loved cooking but ill health means I can't do many of the things I used to, so simplifying my life also helps me cope with disability much better. This is working out really well now I live alone.
    • frankiedarv
    • By frankiedarv 12th Apr 18, 8:37 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    frankiedarv
    I love my slow cooker too, in fact i have 2 of them one i use for main meals and the other i use for puddings, they are wonderful. :-)
    • wort
    • By wort 12th Apr 18, 3:57 PM
    • 788 Posts
    • 10,317 Thanks
    wort
    White musk in regard to toiletries, I have used bath stuff in my hand wash pump, instead of buying hand wash as I don't take baths even shower gel the amount t I had been given as gifts would have took years to get through. If I have those small bottles out of gift sets I pour them into a bigger bottle , I've got my toiletries sorted like this . Also I got rid of some by sending to a lady who was taking them to the women's refuge, maybe you could donate to similar, homeless charities usually want toiletries.
    Make up I kept the basics ,1 of each foundation, mascara,eyebrow pencil, and blusher.
    Everything else went . I'm trying not to buy anything now until I need it, so I'm not storing excess.
    There's always offers on so I don't need to stock up on anything.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 19th Apr 18, 4:34 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 10,278 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Bonjour tout le monde

Our lovely thread seems to have reappeared

I will try to post this & see if it works

MrsSD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

453Posts Today

7,202Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin