Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SimpleLiving
    • By SimpleLiving 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    • 47Posts
    • 1,442Thanks
    SimpleLiving
    A Simpler Life 2018
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    A Simpler Life 2018 30th Nov 17 at 11:27 AM
    Every year at about this time, I get a yearning for a more simple way of life. A life that doesn't involve being bombarded with endless ads for x% off or buy a new sofa/kitchen/table/bed/car or your Christmas holiday will become a fate worse than death It really does get to me. I hate consumerism in general. It annoys me intensely that we waste so many resources making cheap non-essential rubbish that will end up in landfill a few months later. I think I must be some kind of grumpy, odd ball though as despite all the headlines about the economy and stagnant pay rises, the shops always seem to be rammed.
    Anyhow, I am planning to step back from it all in 2018:
    - no spending on unnecessary stuff. For example, I have enough clothes to last for years in one wardrobe and one chest of drawers. Books will come from the library. No fripperies!!
    - replace essential items where possible with good quality items preferably second hand, or british made or local where applicable
    - increase cooking from scratch. I buy too many things like biscuits etc that are far nicer and healthier homemade
    - make full use of garden and allotment for fruit, veg, preserves and wine.
    - forage for fruit, fungi, wood ....
    - spend more time outside, gardening, walking, enjoying nature to improve mental and physical well being
    - spend more time with my mum who is 76 and beginning to need me more
    - avoid pressure to conform!
    Anyone got any further ideas in how I could simplify life?
Page 60
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 4th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    ploppy57
    With reference to the soap discussion from previous posts. Has anybody used Wild Olive products? I have used their bath tea bags and bath Fizzers but thinking of trying their soaps. They are not that cheap ...about £4.99 for 100g but do appear to be quite natural.
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... Building up slowly.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £22 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • DFWDee
    • By DFWDee 4th Mar 18, 8:17 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    DFWDee
    "Simple pleasures don!!!8217;t cost much - good quality freshly ground coffee made in a proper coffee machine (an investment that soon pays for itself) after a walk in the fields with our border collie are pleasant routines. As is sharing food and laughs with friends. Designer stuff, celebrity magazines, reality TV shows, people posting inane comments on Twitface - you can shove them where the sun doesn!!!8217;t shine."

Hello - I have been a lurker of these boards for a while but when I read this quote, I knew I had to subscribe to this thread - it was though I had written it myself! I hope I am not too late to join! We have always lived a pretty simple life but I am looking forward to finding new inspiration and ideas.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 4th Mar 18, 8:18 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Hello, please can I join in

I've just finished reading the thread (phew!) and have taken in some of the lovely ideas and recipes.

I'm what is termed a "millennial" and the same age as bluegreen143. I'm the product of a mum who taught me to be independent and have the career I want, as she did. I'm incredibly grateful for that, but it came at the expense of not learning how to cook from scratch (because she didn't know) or the basics of sewing, knitting etc (something my mum does do very well). I am getting there with cooking

My mum was part of a family who had little money as a child (late 50's). It affected her and her siblings in different ways - one has the heating up high permanently, one insists on keeping up with the Jones and my mum, well, she hoards food stuffs as if war is looming. As a result, she loves to buy me food presents weekly (I moved out nearly a decade ago), I appreciate her and her intent, but does lead to waste. If I say I don't want anything, she will just get what she thinks I would need/like.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread, I really want to live a simple life. I love things to be tidy and fairly minimalistic, i'm also really starting to wake up to the effects of plastic in our environment. I feel I'm making strides iro of the above but I have an upcoming "problem". I'm approaching a big birthday and I don't actually want anything.

What do I do and what do I say when people ask me what I would like? Several family members have already said they refuse to get vouchers etc for a major birthday, but I don't want something I won't appreciate and will end up giving away. Do any of you lovely people have any ideas or inspiration?
    Originally posted by Jonesy88
    What about an " Adopot a "....panda, monkey, etc etc? Or something that is actually consumable and won't be cluttering your life forever? On my 60th my OH organised a lovely afternoon tea for 20 friends and family....I still have the memories and photos.
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 4th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 5,064 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    With reference to the soap discussion from previous posts. Has anybody used Wild Olive products? I have used their bath tea bags and bath Fizzers but thinking of trying their soaps. They are not that cheap ...about £4.99 for 100g but do appear to be quite natural.
    Originally posted by ploppy57
    Funny enough I've been looking a soaps/shampoo bars to see about trying them. Just been looking at the Wild Olive website and they're not too far from me. I might have to pop into their store. Their soaps seem cheaper than some other places I've looked at. Might be worth giving them a go
    My debt-free diary
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 4th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Funny enough I've been looking a soaps/shampoo bars to see about trying them. Just been looking at the Wild Olive website and they're not too far from me. I might have to pop into their store. Their soaps seem cheaper than some other places I've looked at. Might be worth giving them a go
    Originally posted by Lilith1980
    If the soap is as good as the tea bags and bath Fizzers, they will be lovely. Let us know what you think of them. I may order some.....or try and talk OH into a night away in Buxton to look at their shop....lol
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 4th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 7,219 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger

I've just finished reading the thread (phew!) and have taken in some of the lovely ideas and recipes.

I'm what is termed a "millennial" and the same age as bluegreen143. I'm the product of a mum who taught me to be independent and have the career I want, as she did. I'm incredibly grateful for that, but it came at the expense of not learning how to cook from scratch (because she didn't know) or the basics of sewing, knitting etc (something my mum does do very well). I am getting there with cooking

My mum was part of a family who had little money as a child (late 50's). It affected her and her siblings in different ways - one has the heating up high permanently, one insists on keeping up with the Jones and my mum, well, she hoards food stuffs as if war is looming. As a result, she loves to buy me food presents weekly (I moved out nearly a decade ago), I appreciate her and her intent, but does lead to waste. If I say I don't want anything, she will just get what she thinks I would need/like.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread, I really want to live a simple life. I love things to be tidy and fairly minimalistic, i'm also really starting to wake up to the effects of plastic in our environment. I feel I'm making strides iro of the above but I have an upcoming "problem". I'm approaching a big birthday and I don't actually want anything.

What do I do and what do I say when people ask me what I would like? Several family members have already said they refuse to get vouchers etc for a major birthday, but I don't want something I won't appreciate and will end up giving away. Do any of you lovely people have any ideas or inspiration?
    Jonesy88, welcome to the thread. What a wonderful mum you have
    The suggestions for a big birthday have all been great - as an ‘older’ person I really loved the idea of a posh afternoon tea!

Can I throw one into the pot
    How about an evening or weekend course? E.g. cooking, sewing or knitting or maybe some other type of activity like pottery or something arty or something educational? Something that you have always wanted to do but couldn’t justify the expense to yourself.

In years gone by I treated myself to an hour a week for six weeks on a cake decorating course - I used to bake a lot & one of my colleagues had asked me to make her wedding cake
    The cake part was easily sorted but the decorating was a bit out of my league. I had a great time, learnt quite a bit & really enjoyed meeting new people who had varying reasons for being on the course. The cake, three tiers with a different flavour for each tier & the single tier sponge cake appeared to be a great success. I was mentioned in the speeches & loads of people thanked me. I went on to make a second wedding cake & several themed children’s cakes.
    I still remember quite a bit of what I learned but have passed on the baton & the tools to a great niece who has a small part-time business making cakes. I have to admit that her cakes really do look professionally made

Anyway, I wish you luck in making your choice & then persuading family & friends of the immense joy you will get from whatever you have requested.

To a Simpler Life

MrsSD
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 4th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 9,923 Thanks
    Wizzbang

I don't know about presents for a big birthday as in my family the gifts don't change with the number, perhaps others will have some inspiration. But as a lot of my family seem to be reticent to give vouchers, or vouchers alone - I took a tip from a friend. He asks for all the consumables he will need during the year, that way he can spend his own money on the things he wants (he loves computer games and likes to buy them as they come out). So, he asks for pants, socks, deodorants, toiletries etc. That way everything he asks for is affordable, but he can ask for slightly fancier socks let's say than he might buy himself. He just stores them up for the year. I tried it this Christmas just gone and it worked quite well.

I've heard of older people asking for books of stamps, toilet roll and all sorts! Now I don't know whether my family would give that, but if it's what you want/ need - might be worth asking. Could be an excuse to ask for some slightly more upmarket food items, just to try them out?
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £34,570.30
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £2,413.50
    • DFWDee
    • By DFWDee 4th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    DFWDee
    hello again - just realised I didn't quote you properly - a newbie - please bear with me, I'm a bit of a technophobe!
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 4th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 5,064 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    or try and talk OH into a night away in Buxton to look at their shop....lol
    Originally posted by ploppy57
    That's a great idea!
    My debt-free diary
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 5th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 3,836 Posts
    • 35,597 Thanks
    dolly84
    hello again - just realised I didn't quote you properly - a newbie - please bear with me, I'm a bit of a technophobe!
    Originally posted by DFWDee
    Welcome to the thread.

Thick blanket of fog here today for the second day running, plan for today is work, bread making, dog walking and school run.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • alice-mary
    • By alice-mary 5th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    alice-mary
    Jonesy 88, when I left my last job, I asked for a donation to one of my favourite charities. It wasn't difficult for my colleagues to do on-line, (no going searching the shops for something suitable and no faffing with wrapping anything), it meant that I didn't get more STUFF and best of all, the charity got a nice donation! Everybody was a winner IMHO.

Alice
    xx
    Debts in March 2007:
    Loan £24,180 Argos Card £2000 C Card £2000 O/draft £2000 Mortgage £113,000

Debts in Apr 2017:Loan £0 Sister £0
    Argos Card £0 C Card £1100 O/draft £1900 Mortgage £113,000 Getting there......
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 11,832 Posts
    • 228,300 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Jonesy 88, when I left my last job, I asked for a donation to one of my favourite charities. It wasn't difficult for my colleagues to do on-line, (no going searching the shops for something suitable and no faffing with wrapping anything), it meant that I didn't get more STUFF and best of all, the charity got a nice donation! Everybody was a winner IMHO.

Alice
    xx
    Originally posted by alice-mary
    What a brilliant and generous idea!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Jonesy88
    • By Jonesy88 5th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 3,686 Thanks
    Jonesy88
    Thank you so much for all the ideas!

Definitely food for thought. My friend who turned 30 earlier in the year organised a "gentlemans' afternoon tea" with pies etc - it went down very well!

I did think about experience days, but in honesty I feel i'd enjoy a walk in the sunshine more than some of the more common experiences vouchers. That said, I can certainly hunt around and find out a bit more about what you can get. I'm sure there is something for everyone. I will also look into the "adopt a ..." gifts.

Courses! Oh my what amazing idea! i'd love to do a sewing course with my mum (even though she can sew) - it would be a nice mother/daughter thing, and I would be able to keep whatever we made as a memory. I will definitely look into that further.

Charity - there's a lady at work trying to raise money for her sponsored London Marathon run. It would be a lovely touch to just donate the work birthday collection straight into that pot. Ofcourse I am presuming they like me well enough to do a collection
    Last edited by Jonesy88; 05-03-2018 at 8:11 PM.
    DF by Xmas 2018: #83 £1,500/£15,000 10%
    SPC 7: #135 | VSP 2018: #23 £1.60 | MFW 7.78% | NSDs 0/15
    • Grumpysally
    • By Grumpysally 5th Mar 18, 10:08 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    Grumpysally

Charity - there's a lady at work trying to raise money for her sponsored London Marathon run. It would be a lovely touch to just donate the work birthday collection straight into that pot. Ofcourse I am presuming they like me well enough to do a collection
    The trouble with work birthday presents, is that they tend to be a 'surprise' so you don't get any say in it. I was very surprised and touched when my colleagues presented me with a monetary gift for a big birthday. I've never had the heart to tell them that when I got home the dishwasher had broken and so I used the cash to get it repaired.
    (I told them all I'd bought a tablet, that I'd actually treated myself to a few months previously). The gift did also include a vase, which I donated to the local charity shop. If anyone had ever asked about it, I'd prepared a story about the dog knocking it over, and being really upset about it.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,538 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I think the whole zero waste movement is very interessting, but unfortunatelly most people will not be able to do it to the same extend as for example Bea Johnson or Lauren Singer (she is Trash is for Tossers on youtube if you want to check her out)
    Originally posted by RicardaRacoon
    Funny name!
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th Mar 18, 4:33 AM
    • 615 Posts
    • 7,219 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger

Definitely food for thought. My friend who turned 30 earlier in the year organised a "gentlemans' afternoon tea" with pies etc - it went down very well!

I did think about experience days, but in honesty I feel i'd enjoy a walk in the sunshine more than some of the more common experiences vouchers. That said, I can certainly hunt around and find out a bit more about what you can get. I'm sure there is something for everyone. I will also look into the "adopt a ..." gifts.

Courses! Oh my what amazing idea! i'd love to do a sewing course with my mum (even though she can sew) - it would be a nice mother/daughter thing, and I would be able to keep whatever we made as a memory. I will definitely look into that further.

Hi everyone, we seem to have slowed down on this thread so thought I would do a quick post to keep us going
    How are you doing Jonesy88? How are the investigations going?

The quest for a Simpler Life is ongoing, still trying to declutter & still baking. My DH is currently making daily trips to the Tip (on his motorcycle) & I am trying to be a bit more brutal with my decluttering Have just emptied all 8 drawers in my wall unit & it is currently covering my living room floor . Gradually sorting into piles for cs, keep in drawers or relocate. But need to clean the drawers first before I start putting stuff back.

See you soon

MrsSD
    • elmer
    • By elmer 15th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 1,421 Thanks
    elmer
    I think in one way I have just done a massive u turn in my quest for a simpler life, however Im sure its the best move for me. I have rehomed a puppy, so life is not simple at the minute, but hopefully as we adjust to each other, he will help with my move away from being part of a couple and transmogrifying into a mad dog woman!!!
    However after a reasonable amount of decluttering, his stuff is now filling up all the spaces, still i am definite its a step in the right direction for me

elmer
    • SmlSave
    • By SmlSave 15th Mar 18, 9:04 PM
    • 4,699 Posts
    • 16,521 Thanks
    SmlSave
    Evening, I thought the thread may have disappeared but here you are

I have good news that hubby has become involved in the tidying of the house and trying to declutter our belongings. His tidying does mean that often items are not in their homes but I'm biting my tongue...apart from the food containers! They simply must be paired with their lids before being put in the cupboard or avalanches happen. They are mostly plastic containers that I intend to use till they break and then get glass/tin.

His sudden interest stems from recently being diagnosed with a dust allergy which has ruined my washing routine (previously everything at 30, only washing when dirty, rarely using the dryer) and we watched The Minimalists together which we both found inspiring.

I'm over the moon that the house is tidier than ever and that hubby is helping out more. We have so much stuff that I can imagine it will take us years to reduce it all!
    Boy Smllet born 23/06/2011 and Girl Smllet born 01/03/2014

5 year challenge to pay off £20,000
    £350 per month challenge
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 16th Mar 18, 1:20 AM
    • 615 Posts
    • 7,219 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Elmer, not an u-turn

Simplifying means different things to different people - for me it is decluttering - leading to everything in its place, redecorating & fully cleaning. Then I can bake to my hearts content, go off on mini breaks with my DH, visit friends & family in the knowledge that we will come back to a home we love

For you it is having a trustworthy companion who will get you out of the house & will give you love & joy. Does your puppy have a name?

SmlSave, isn’t it marvellous when DHs come on board My DH is currently in charge of trips to the Tip, tidying his office & all the prepping & decorating! My tasks are keeping him fed, baking him treats, decluttering the rest of the house, cleaning & letting him play on his motorbike

If you have lots of decluttering it might be worth joining the ‘2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen’ thread. There are lots of useful tips & if you decide to post you can choose your ‘numbers’ - e.g. 2018 items, 365 items or maybe even 52 It is surprising how encouraging it is to list what goes out One option is to start small - clear a table & then keep it clear - sometimes easier said than done or make sure you deal with your post immediately - sit down with a cup of tea & deal with the post - pay the bills, reply to invitations, file info, recycle/shred envelopes etc. (For me it is an easily achievable win )
    Good luck SmlSave

MrsSD
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 16th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    • 939 Posts
    • 22,815 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Great news on the puppy, Elmer I agree, not a U-turn. It may lead to more Stuff but I bet it will be great for your mental and emotional well-being.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,555Posts Today

6,600Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin