Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SimpleLiving
    • By SimpleLiving 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    • 47Posts
    • 1,446Thanks
    SimpleLiving
    A Simpler Life 2018
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    A Simpler Life 2018 30th Nov 17 at 11:27 AM
    Every year at about this time, I get a yearning for a more simple way of life. A life that doesn't involve being bombarded with endless ads for x% off or buy a new sofa/kitchen/table/bed/car or your Christmas holiday will become a fate worse than death It really does get to me. I hate consumerism in general. It annoys me intensely that we waste so many resources making cheap non-essential rubbish that will end up in landfill a few months later. I think I must be some kind of grumpy, odd ball though as despite all the headlines about the economy and stagnant pay rises, the shops always seem to be rammed.
    Anyhow, I am planning to step back from it all in 2018:
    - no spending on unnecessary stuff. For example, I have enough clothes to last for years in one wardrobe and one chest of drawers. Books will come from the library. No fripperies!!
    - replace essential items where possible with good quality items preferably second hand, or british made or local where applicable
    - increase cooking from scratch. I buy too many things like biscuits etc that are far nicer and healthier homemade
    - make full use of garden and allotment for fruit, veg, preserves and wine.
    - forage for fruit, fungi, wood ....
    - spend more time outside, gardening, walking, enjoying nature to improve mental and physical well being
    - spend more time with my mum who is 76 and beginning to need me more
    - avoid pressure to conform!
    Anyone got any further ideas in how I could simplify life?
Page 34
    • Katieowl
    • By Katieowl 13th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 1,717 Thanks
    Katieowl
    [*]Resisted the sales and bought no clothes or possible presents ... previously unheard of ....
    Originally posted by SmlSave
    I've done this this year too!!!! I actually went in TKMaxx with mum Thurs, and she said she'd thought it was the first time I'd ever been in there with her and not bought anything! I only really looked at the kitchen stuff.

Before Xmas I was tidying up "Narnia" which is what I call my "walk in wardrobe" you can only really walk in if you are a hobbit, luckily I am, but it runs the whole length of my bedroom built into the slope of the roof, with a door at one end, I've managed to get a clothes rail and various shelves and tiny sets of drawers in there, but it has been rather used as storage for anything that needs to be kept warm and dry, like all my sewing things too. I found a suitcase with quite a few items in before Xmas that I had bought (bargains) to give as gifts previously, and not used for some reason, all brand new with labels, so I took them to the market with me before Xmas and I did manage to sell most of them for at least what I paid for them if not a little more! So I am determined not to build up another stash!

I did audit one of the freezers yesterday, it was too cold to do the other one! We need to eat through some of this meat!!! I might try for a no spend Feb, apart from milk and veg.
    • 50smale
    • By 50smale 13th Jan 18, 10:39 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    50smale
    Back to basics
    Lovely post, surrounded with everything i think i need, and quite honestly apart from family i could do with losing it all, surrounded with designer wear and the latest tech and false freinds, late 50s and only now, find out I am not happy.
    Need to customize my life to include the things i need not the things i want or need to impress.
    Want to get back to basics and a simpler life with my family and the three freinds that i know will be there whatever.
    First kicked facebook and twitter, dont need negative people to feed from, gave away my smart phone and bought an nokia 2010 remember them,so i can call and text, and not have to look at peoples posts of there lunch to make them feel like a better person.
    Filled my kitchen with ingredients so as i can cook better meals.
    from scratch.

Need to get a simple life for a happy life.
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 13th Jan 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 14,761 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    ploppy57,My journey to A Simpler Life is mostly about decluttering at the moment. I am finding it very hard - it is making me think about why I keep things and what is stopping me getting rid of this ‘stuff’. So here is to a Simpler Life
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    I was exactly the same. It's taken me a long time to get rid of things, they were all hidden in boxes under the stairs and in cupboards, but I'm finally at the end of this journey and I'm now very minimal, it really is freeing to BE minimal, rather than just looking it. I still have 21 pairs of shoes, trainers, sandals, boots, flip flops (which I want to cut to 10) it used to be nearer 100. I think the way I did it was in sweeps. I got rid of what I could over time, then after a while, I did another swoop and found I could let go of more. I've got to a stage where I really don't want stuff. I honestly will have gotten rid of nearly 70% of my stuff when I've finished, hopefully this weekend. Check out Marie Kondo's method - it really kickstarted me letting go in an organized way. Good luck.
    Last edited by Save Dosh; 13-01-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    June Grocery Challenge - Food £27.75/80, Alcohol £7.48/£20
    Bulk Fund Left/Food £66.76 Bulk Fund/Alcohol
    -£19.48
    Save 12k in 2018 #80 = £2,000/£5,000
    Yoga 30 Day Challenge 0/30
    Lose 12lbs - 8/12 - Goal 9st
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 13th Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    • 6,350 Posts
    • 97,097 Thanks
    fuddle
    I keep Facebook but I wish I could rid of it. It's a useful tool for community issues but I do need to clear some friends, and family actually, off there. My fed has become a place where people sell to me and that's my fault for supporting too many crafter's, bloggers and friends with a side line of selling Scentsy etc.

I'll be cleaning friends, like and notifications later. Thank you for drawing it into the realms of something I need to do to be simpler.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 13th Jan 18, 6:11 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    ani*fan
    I'm simplifying my time. I now work 4 days per week, and I arrange one thing only for the weekend. I have more time to relax, be creative, read and daydream.

It feels very strange after a lifetime of being busy.
    If you know you have enough, you're rich.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Jan 18, 6:57 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 8,562 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    RosesandRainbows,
    What a beautiful name & sentiment
    Saying no is not selfish, it is self preservation! The more you say no to certain things the more likely it is you can say yes to the things that matter & are important to you

My plan is not so structured - it consists of one action - DECLUTTER

MrsSD
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Jan 18, 7:34 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 8,562 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    I was exactly the same. It's taken me a long time to get rid of things, they were all hidden in boxes under the stairs and in cupboards, but I'm finally at the end of this journey and I'm now very minimal, it really is freeing to BE minimal, rather than just looking it. I still have 21 pairs of shoes, trainers, sandals, boots, flip flops (which I want to cut to 10) it used to be nearer 100. I think the way I did it was in sweeps. I got rid of what I could over time, then after a while, I did another swoop and found I could let go of more. I've got to a stage where I really don't want stuff. I honestly will have gotten rid of nearly 70% of my stuff when I've finished, hopefully this weekend. Check out Marie Kondo's method - it really kickstarted me letting go in an organized way. Good luck.
    Originally posted by Save Dosh
    Save Dosh,
    Thank you so much for this

I am trying to keep certain things going on a daily basis like completely sorting any post, making sure the washing up gets done before bed time.
    My problem is the rest of the stuff and there is SO MUCH STUFF I definitely have the box mountain, the stuffed cupboards & drawers etc etc etc. I have had a look at the Kondo method but the ‘like for like’ stuff is scattered around in too many places. My current method is to pick a corner or a cupboard, drawer or shelf sort it completely and then try & keep it clean and tidy. I have one corner in my living room that only has the ‘viewing’ equipment. It is so easy to keep clean & such a pleasure to look at. I am currently working on another corner & at some stage in the far future all the corners will add up to a clutter free room. It is just sooo slow but then again slow & steady wins the race.

Thank you for the encouragement & I will keep at it.

MrsSD
    • Aril
    • By Aril 13th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 16,724 Thanks
    Aril
    Hello.
    Interesting comments about Facebook. I rejoined last year after several months off it completely so I could keep in touch with my son when he was away. This time round though I have far fewer "friends" and have only rejoined a couple of groups which are of personal interest to me. You can "unfollow" people so you don't have their posts automatically coming up in your feed, but they remain on your page if you choose and they won't be aware of your decision. It's made the whole process a lot simpler!
    Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Not Buying It 2016
    • Aruba
    • By Aruba 13th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Aruba
    Hi I am new to MSE but I am loving this thread and this approach and shall be following with interest. Looking forward to chatting
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 13th Jan 18, 10:08 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 14,761 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    Save Dosh,
    Thank you so much for this

My current method is to pick a corner or a cupboard, drawer or shelf sort it completely and then try & keep it clean and tidy. MrsSD
    She suggests categories, rather than areas or rooms, it really works, you end up with everything the same together very quickly. For example books, get them all together from every room and disgard as many as you can. If you can, box the ones you don't want and put the rest in a home, next bric a brac etc., I tried to pack everything up, before I moved on. Her audio-book is on YouTube, its 'The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying Up' and I must say it nearly sent me to sleep in many parts, but I did get the message, which is what counts. Good luck. xx
    June Grocery Challenge - Food £27.75/80, Alcohol £7.48/£20
    Bulk Fund Left/Food £66.76 Bulk Fund/Alcohol
    -£19.48
    Save 12k in 2018 #80 = £2,000/£5,000
    Yoga 30 Day Challenge 0/30
    Lose 12lbs - 8/12 - Goal 9st
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 14th Jan 18, 1:40 AM
    • 743 Posts
    • 8,562 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    She suggests categories, rather than areas or rooms, it really works, you end up with everything the same together very quickly. For example books, get them all together from every room and disgard as many as you can. If you can, box the ones you don't want and put the rest in a home, next bric a brac etc., I tried to pack everything up, before I moved on. Her audio-book is on YouTube, its 'The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying Up' and I must say it nearly sent me to sleep in many parts, but I did get the message, which is what counts. Good luck. xx
    Thanks again Save Dosh. My problem is that I have lots (probably 30 or so) of boxes & I do not know the contents. At the moment my DH & I can move around all the rooms except one so cannot envisage emptying all the boxes.

Help!?!

MrsSD
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 14th Jan 18, 6:54 AM
    • 7,781 Posts
    • 11,372 Thanks
    jackieblack
    I'm simplifying my time. I now work 4 days per week, and I arrange one thing only for the weekend. I have more time to relax, be creative, read and daydream.

Originally posted by ani*fan
    Oh, that sounds blissful
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 14th Jan 18, 7:15 AM
    • 7,781 Posts
    • 11,372 Thanks
    jackieblack
    My problem is that I have lots (probably 30 or so) of boxes & I do not know the contents.
    This is my problem too, except it's more like 80 boxes in 3 different places in the house (2 bedrooms and garage)

The problem is that I know that in order to sort everything I need to empty each box and will end up with more boxes and stuff everywhere until I'm finished

I'm putting off starting either of the bedrooms until after my daughter's wedding in April because I know I haven't got time to get finished before that if I start it now. (At least while everything is still boxed up I can shuffle the boxes around and clear a room for my daughter and her chief bridesmaid to stay the night before.)

So I plan to start in the garage during February half term, however this depends upon my ex-husband removing the rest of his stuff first. I have said that I need it gone by the end of January (which will be 3 years since he left) but I'm not holding my breath

Part of simplifying my life includes sorting out and/or removing everything belonging to or caused by other people that holds up, hinders or blocks things that I want to do!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • dND
    • By dND 14th Jan 18, 8:35 AM
    • 455 Posts
    • 6,513 Thanks
    dND
    Same here I called it 'skimming'! The first passes primarily took out the junk and rubbish which were lost in the piles. since then, a lot of time has been spent walking things around the house to collect like with like.

I found it too easy to put a few paper clips away in one draw. In another room I found a few paperclips and put them away in another draw... etc. etc. etc. Once I started to collect everything together I realised I had more than enough paperclips to supply an office

Finding a place or room for everything was important too. I also changed my thoughts about being efficient; I would always put things to one side so that each trip would be worthwhile and of course nothing got done and I would end up going through the same things again and again.

Now I deal with things one at a time and either collate them together in a box of like items or if I have designated a place for it, I put it there.

I've frightened myself with how much duplication I have

I've also finally realised that my 3 children have grown up and left and aren't coming back for their stationery sets etc from school days (and that I already have a couple of sets myself), so I can send them on to a charity shop

It's been a slow process, a year plus so far, but I am finally able to see spots of work surface and have spaces in cupboards

• dietdemon
    • By dietdemon 14th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    dietdemon
    Any tips? This is my dream.

Originally posted by ani*fan

How did you manage this? Sounds like my dream?

This thread is great it is really getting me to think about what is important.

I currently work full time with 3 hour commute each day. I need to be able to free up time and lower my outgoing so I can work fewer hours.

Although I try be organised it is sometimes difficult because of lack of free time. I try to plan on my commute!

Have already picked up some great tips on here but grateful for more. Anyone in similar situation? I have also recently moved so DH and I also renovating house.

I am going to start by making sure I get rid off all clutter, starting with kitchen. I will get rid of all unnecessary gadgets!

Have a great Sunday all. I love this thread.
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 14th Jan 18, 9:16 AM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 5,642 Thanks
    bexster1975
    Hi diet demon

I know it was ani*fan you were asking, but I thought I'd throw in my tuppence-worth. I have quit my job and am going to travel for a bit. When a return I have a paid job two days a week which will cover all bills and a small amount of spends. In the remaining time I plan to work for myself. How it's done? For me anyway it was paying off the mortgage in about half the original time, buying what I needed for the best price, not wasting ( much!) money, putting pay rises into savings/mortgage OPs. I think I am lucky that I enjoy mainly simple pleasures and have enjoyed learning to do all sorts of things like cooking, sewing, up cycling furniture etc. I'm just starting a blog actually about what I've done and how - and the next chapter.

Three hour commute sounds hellish. My best advice to start with is to sit down with your OH and decide what you actually both want.

I wish you luck, this thread and the forum overall, will be a great source of support and knowledge.

Bexster
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 14th Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 32,044 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Thanks again Save Dosh. My problem is that I have lots (probably 30 or so) of boxes & I do not know the contents. At the moment my DH & I can move around all the rooms except one so cannot envisage emptying all the boxes.

Help!?!

MrsSD
    This is my problem too, except it's more like 80 boxes in 3 different places in the house (2 bedrooms and garage)

The problem is that I know that in order to sort everything I need to empty each box and will end up with more boxes and stuff everywhere until I'm finished
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    I know and understand the accepted wisdom of Kondoing, but many of us on the KonMari thread have found that we have needed to adapt to suit our own circumstances. Lack of decent spells of time, or in my case ill health and fatigue mean that it is not practical to gather all categories together from various locations and just blitz through them, but little and often will work too, particularly if you have to take things to the CS by bus or on foot. Yes it will take longer, but you will get there in the end, don't be discouraged

If you haven't already come along and join us the 2 threads complement each other well.
    • Katieowl
    • By Katieowl 14th Jan 18, 9:30 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 1,717 Thanks
    Katieowl
    DD lent me that Kondo woman's book I hated it! I have lots of 'stuff' but I loves most of it I am not a minimalist and seeing my house without the knicknacks and books would make me very anxious indeed. I know she says you can keep what you love, but some of us, share our houses with the tools of our trade, and OTHER people and the tools of THEIR trades too, so we just attempt to keep it in order!

As it stands at the moment, most of the time if I see something I like, these days I am able to say yeah that's cute, but I don't need it and I have no where to put it.....if I got rid of all my stuffs I'd be saying ooooh that's cute, I have JUST the spot for that!!! Self awareness is a wonderful thing LOL
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I think I said on here about the YouTube woman I was watching More Melody. She was saying to put items that you use close together, like with like. I was thinking it was very obvious advice, but looking around my house I realised I hadn't been doing that for everything!

I now have my essential oils in a box right next to the oil diffuser with my last scented candle.

I put all my tea together with the pot on a shelf. I put all the spare bottles of vitamins in a box and all the medicines/medications in a box on another shelf. It's made it much easier.

I didn't have to get any new storage boxes as I just used what I had already.

I really like the way we rearranged the living room yesterday. I thought I would have to buy a new TV unit, but now I don't think we will need to.

It's great when your house feels refreshed and more comfortable, but you haven't needed to buy anything new!
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 14th Jan 18, 9:55 AM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 32,044 Thanks
    maddiemay
    DD lent me that Kondo woman's book I hated it! I have lots of 'stuff' but I loves most of it I am not a minimalist and seeing my house without the knicknacks and books would make me very anxious indeed. I know she says you can keep what you love, but some of us, share our houses with the tools of our trade, and OTHER people and the tools of THEIR trades too, so we just attempt to keep it in order!

As it stands at the moment, most of the time if I see something I like, these days I am able to say yeah that's cute, but I don't need it and I have no where to put it.....if I got rid of all my stuffs I'd be saying ooooh that's cute, I have JUST the spot for that!!! Self awareness is a wonderful thing LOL
    Originally posted by Katieowl
    Katie - I am as far removed from a minimalist as you can get, but I now have too much stuff that I no longer need or want and I am sure that I benefit from it's removal, and like you I don't need to bring much into the house, I look, appreciate and walk away, it is a good feeling.

I also have at the front of my mind, having spent 6 months with OH, his DB and SIL, travelling 150 miles to clear late in-laws properties, yes it really did take that long and was not pleasant, I do not want my step children to have to wade through loads of what they would consider tat when OH and I pop off - we are no longer spring chickens

Enjoy what pleases you and continue to be grateful for your tools of the trade and as time passes let things go if they are no longer necessary to your life. MC, like a lot of things in life, is not for everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,152Posts Today

8,320Users online

Martin's Twitter