Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SimpleLiving
    • By SimpleLiving 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    • 47Posts
    • 1,446Thanks
    SimpleLiving
    A Simpler Life 2018
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    A Simpler Life 2018 30th Nov 17 at 11:27 AM
    Every year at about this time, I get a yearning for a more simple way of life. A life that doesn't involve being bombarded with endless ads for x% off or buy a new sofa/kitchen/table/bed/car or your Christmas holiday will become a fate worse than death It really does get to me. I hate consumerism in general. It annoys me intensely that we waste so many resources making cheap non-essential rubbish that will end up in landfill a few months later. I think I must be some kind of grumpy, odd ball though as despite all the headlines about the economy and stagnant pay rises, the shops always seem to be rammed.
    Anyhow, I am planning to step back from it all in 2018:
    - no spending on unnecessary stuff. For example, I have enough clothes to last for years in one wardrobe and one chest of drawers. Books will come from the library. No fripperies!!
    - replace essential items where possible with good quality items preferably second hand, or british made or local where applicable
    - increase cooking from scratch. I buy too many things like biscuits etc that are far nicer and healthier homemade
    - make full use of garden and allotment for fruit, veg, preserves and wine.
    - forage for fruit, fungi, wood ....
    - spend more time outside, gardening, walking, enjoying nature to improve mental and physical well being
    - spend more time with my mum who is 76 and beginning to need me more
    - avoid pressure to conform!
    Anyone got any further ideas in how I could simplify life?
Page 27
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 4th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    • 10,575 Posts
    • 115,823 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Can I ask, having never bought them before, where would I get cloth hankies from? I've has a cold for about 10 days and I'm ashamed of the paper waste I have produced. I have laundered umpteen times in that time so it makes sense to switch.
    Originally posted by fuddle
    Our last ones came fom JL; prior to that, I've had some lovely mens hankies (I don't bother with ladies ones, Mr LW and I share) from a street market in Maldegem - not very helpful to you, I know.
    Tip to the wise; don't have any truck with so-called 'cotton rich' hankies, only 100% cotton are nice to use.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    And that's the truth; we have some that are poly-cotton, and they are kept for when we both have colds and go through them faster than I can wash them.

Does anyone else have a problem with Lush in that the smell in their stores in overpowering? I have to hold my breath if we just go past their door - I'm certain I'd pass out if we actually went in.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 4th Jan 18, 7:37 PM
    • 11,900 Posts
    • 229,615 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Does anyone else have a problem with Lush in that the smell in their stores in overpowering? I have to hold my breath if we just go past their door - I'm certain I'd pass out if we actually went in.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Yeah, I do the breath-holding thing as I pass by, the reek coming out of the shop nearly floors me. I went into a Lush once and had to exit in double-time.

Mind you, I'm hypersensitive to odours and can feel a bit bleugh in the cleaning product/ laundry detergent aisles of supermarkets, too. Some folk think that must be a side-effect of CFS/ME but, having had that for over 30 years now, I really can't remember what my sense of smell was like beforehand.

I once had to respectfully ask a colleague to please not spritz her body spray on in our office (less than 6 feet away) as it made me gag. Not that it was an unpleasant odour, but just the effect of having a synthetic perfume aerolised and squirted into our shared breathing space.

If I'm out and about, it's different, I can walk on by and hold my breath for a few seconds but you can't do that in a call centre when you're talking to the customers........
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• maryb
    • By maryb 4th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    • 3,741 Posts
    • 46,045 Thanks
    maryb
    Yes I hated the smell in Lush. But thanks for the info RR, glad to know it will work out relatively frugal.

Interestingly, there's a chat about shampoo bars on the minimising plastics thread. Someone just mentioned that Lush use palm oil derivatives in their shampoo bars. Does anyone know anything about that? Some palm oil is sustainable after all. If not then I think that's a nudge to make shampoo bars. I've made soap before and it was OK but I'm happy to buy Imperial Leather when it's cheap. I know it's not organically virginally pure but it's good enough. Making shampoo bars would be a better return on time. Also I can add rosemary oil which is great for dandruff - I add a few drops of the essential oil to ordinary shampoo and it works really well
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 4th Jan 18, 10:38 PM
    • 6,347 Posts
    • 97,077 Thanks
    fuddle
    All I can add Mary is that a few years ago, well at least 8, Lush stopped using palm oil in some of their soaps. There was a big hoohaa about the soaps not being as foaming. I don't think I've used their stuff since but if there is a way of making the product without non ethical ways I'm sure Lush would have tapped into it all these years later.

VJs once educated us about palm oil and I now avoid the stuff too so I can understand your concern.

Mary will you tell us how the shampoo bar making goes if you do decide to make it. I would be very interested in trying it myself.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 4th Jan 18, 10:53 PM
    • 3,741 Posts
    • 46,045 Thanks
    maryb
    Will do Fuddle but I!!!8217;m hoping this shampoo bar lasts a good while first considering what it cost
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 4th Jan 18, 10:58 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 18,818 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I have always bought my bnwt pure cotton hankies in charity shops, or I inherited them from family members. I don’t iron them, just fold them and take a clean one from the pile each morning.

We want to start meal planning, but our attempts so far have failed due to changed shifts, unexpected overtime or just bleeuugh. On the positive side:dd1 wants to learn how to cook and will cook every Saturday. Simple meals with me supervising; she’s 9.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 549.29 = £ 483.30
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 5th Jan 18, 2:52 AM
    • 743 Posts
    • 8,541 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Yeah, I do the breath-holding thing as I pass by, the reek coming out of the shop nearly floors me. I went into a Lush once and had to exit in double-time.

Mind you, I'm hypersensitive to odours and can feel a bit bleugh in the cleaning product/ laundry detergent aisles of supermarkets, too. Some folk think that must be a side-effect of CFS/ME but, having had that for over 30 years now, I really can't remember what my sense of smell was like beforehand.

I once had to respectfully ask a colleague to please not spritz her body spray on in our office (less than 6 feet away) as it made me gag. Not that it was an unpleasant odour, but just the effect of having a synthetic perfume aerolised and squirted into our shared breathing space.

If I'm out and about, it's different, I can walk on by and hold my breath for a few seconds but you can't do that in a call centre when you're talking to the customers........
    When I was working in offices I always had a problem with XMas party time - the ladies always got togged up & made up at work. I always had to hold my breath in the “facilities” and avoid the lift as the perfume smells were gut wrenchingly overpowering! Fortunately only ever a maximum of 5 flights!
    The other place that makes me feel really ill is at the airport when you are trying to get to the gates - I absolutely detest running the gauntlet of perfume shops which seems NEVER ENDING!

Reminds me that I wore a dab of Chanel No5 perfume over XMas (a miniature inherited from my mum & at least 35 years old!) Still smelt wonderful as has been kept in its box in a drawer after each use. I had forgotten I had it - wonderful find during attempted decluttering.

Onwards & upwards

Mrs SD
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 5th Jan 18, 3:01 AM
    • 743 Posts
    • 8,541 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    I've just had an idea that might simplify feeding us in the future. I've been a collector of cookery books for years, all sorts of cuisines and I've gotten muddled in my approach to food along with a decided propensity to grab up YS bargains because they are 'good value' and then finding them out of date at the back of the fridge shelf a week later. Not good!!!
    What I'm considering doing is to spend the meat allowance each week on a joint for a roast on Sundays and then do the old fashioned thing of cold with bubble and squeak on Monday, re-heated in gravy/shepherds pie on Tuesday and scraps in a curry on Wednesday etc. many uses for cold cooked roasts and I have a whole shelf full of wartime books to garner ideas from that only use small amounts of meat. I think that would simplify not only meal planning but shopping too and cut down on wastage and over consumption. I'll work out a weeks worth of meals for a beef joint, a pork joint, a leg of lamb and a gammon joint and see how things work out, worth a go I think.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    What an excellent idea! Unfortunately the only time I buy a large enough joint to do this (2 person household) is when I buy an half price leg of lamb.

Mrs SD
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 5th Jan 18, 7:01 AM
    • 1,248 Posts
    • 4,405 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath

Same for me too. The washing powder aisle makes my nose run and aftershave makes me sneeze (as in constant sneezing one after another).

Perfume is horrible too as I can taste it as well as smell it when people are wearing it.

At the moment I am not happy (as are others if you look at reviews). I used to use Ecover washing liquid to clean clothes. They have now added 'scent' and it stinks so currently trying to find another non scented washing powder / liquid.
    Last edited by Spider In The Bath; 05-01-2018 at 8:09 AM. Reason: spelling - aisle as isle!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 5th Jan 18, 7:16 AM
    • 3,741 Posts
    • 46,045 Thanks
    maryb
    Have you thought of making laundry gloop? I haven!!!8217;t but lots of people swear by it
    • SimpleLiving
    • By SimpleLiving 5th Jan 18, 7:44 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    SimpleLiving
    Agree about perfumes etc.
    I detest air fresheners especially aerosols. Nasty chemicals, awful smells. I just open a window in the morning, can't beat the smell of fresh air especially in the springtime. I also hang a few sprigs of lavender around the place occasionally.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Jan 18, 8:26 AM
    • 11,811 Posts
    • 164,028 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We're a two person household too but I'll use the freezer and if the recipe is for four portions I'll freeze two of them and in the fullness of time have a whole weeks worth of meals in there and have a 'gratis' week of food money to invest in 'futures' for the larder.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 5th Jan 18, 8:38 AM
    • 5,176 Posts
    • 76,182 Thanks
    VJsmum
    My DD works for lush, you can imagine what our house smells like..

When I wash her apron, all the laundry in with it comes out smelling like lush. Though it does wear off quickly..

But I agree with air fresheners - I would much rather just have fresh air
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 5th Jan 18, 8:52 AM
    • 6,867 Posts
    • 43,523 Thanks
    Pooky
    Fuds I managed to pick up some 100% Cotton hankies in family bargains before Christmas, DDs had both requested some since moving out of Home and having colds they realised they really do prefer a hankie.

We!!!8217;ve gone back to basics on food. I suffered from a particularly nasty anxiety bout at the end of October that upset my IBS and gave me a hideous reflux issue. So I!!!8217;m avoiding gluten (I have a mild intolerance that has increased 10 fold) and dairy and we!!!8217;ve gone to a meat and potatoes with veg diet, no spice, no sauces, nothing that will set my IBS off. I can cope with pulses but rice is out, Can!!!8217;t afford gluten free pasta so will go without.

I!!!8217;m typically buying a chicken or a gammon and that stretches for the week - the menu might be a little boring but it!!!8217;s making my tummy and digestion better and food is food.

I!!!8217;m with you on the perfumes and highly scented stuff too, I have a highly sensitive nose to smells and am left gagging at the simplest of things - DD2 loved her body sprays but was made to go in the garden to spray as I couldn!!!8217;t cope with it in the house. Although I do love the smell of the clementine and cranberry zoflora which I have diluted down in a spray bottle for cleaning my work surfaces, one of the nicest, freshest cleaning product smells I!!!8217;ve found in years.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • dND
    • By dND 5th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    • 455 Posts
    • 6,513 Thanks
    dND
    WOW!! Thank you for this! I love the idea of the curd cheese so I'm really going to have to try that. Can I ask what recipe you use for the sourdough using the whey??? As really tempted by this.
    Originally posted by simplelivingislandlife
    The Soda Bread is based on a recipe by Delia and really simple - the best sort

450g flour (in my case usually a 50:50 mix of wholemeal and plain)
    1tsp (or a bit less) salt
    1tsp Bicarbonate of soda
    300ml of my 50:50 whey: water mix

I frequently crush a tablespoon of linseed and a tablespoon of sesame seeds and add to the mix.

1. Thoroughly combine the dry ingredients then mix in the liquid - you should get a soft dough.
    2. Lightly knead into a ball and flatten.
    3. Place on a baking sheet - I use the non-stick liners below - and deeply cut the surface. Traditionally it's into 4 but I cut into 8; cutting almost all the way through.
    4. Bake for about 30mins at 220C, covering with foil for the last few mins if it's getting too brown.
    5. Cool for at least 15 mins, wrapping in a teatowel for a slightly softer crust, before cutting.
    It's not a keeping loaf - maximum 2 days but mine rarely lasts the 2 days anyway which is why I only have it as a weekend treat

You need to work quickly before the bicarb gives out. I make mine in my mixer these days as RA is beginning to make it painful to do it by hand but you don't really need a mixer otherwise.

I usually make it with non-bread flour as that is what I have to hand but I would guess it might be better with proper bread flour.

I hope it works well for you.

• dND
    • By dND 5th Jan 18, 8:57 AM
    • 455 Posts
    • 6,513 Thanks
    dND
    Does anyone else remember being taught how to clean hankies in Domestic Science lessons?

I would imagine there are more than a couple of generations now that don't know how to properly clean them and just chuck them in a 30C wash.

• Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 5th Jan 18, 9:02 AM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 18,818 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Does anyone else remember being taught how to clean hankies in Domestic Science lessons?

I would imagine there are more than a couple of generations now that don't know how to properly clean them and just chuck them in a 30C wash.
    Originally posted by dND
    indeed. I wash them at 60C, and have always been taught to iron them, which I don’t, because I am the only one using them.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 549.29 = £ 483.30
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    • 11,811 Posts
    • 164,028 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    The ironing is to kill off any germs that linger, the idea being that the high temperature of the iron will despatch anything lingering in hems etc.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Katieowl
    • By Katieowl 5th Jan 18, 10:00 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 1,717 Thanks
    Katieowl

Can’t afford gluten free pasta so will go without
    Originally posted by Pooky

Have you tried courgetti? I vastly prefer it to all GF pasta and it's low carb!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 5th Jan 18, 10:26 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    maryB,a solid shampoo from Lush lasts me for about 75-90 washes and I have relatively long hair. Most of the shampoos I used before were more expensive when I broke down the price to how long they would last. Plus in my case as I wash my hair daily it saves on about 10-12 shampoo bottles a year.
    Originally posted by RicardaRacoon
    Wow, that is good. I tried Dr Bronner's on my hair and didn't like ithe feeling afterwards so I might buy a Lush shampoo next.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,428Users online

Martin's Twitter