Anyone content with storage heaters?

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,589
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 8:31AM
    The idea is to ensure that the heater gets filled with cheap energy during the off peak times, so make sure that the input is set close to max.

You then want all that stored energy to be released slowly during the day so that there's still enough left for the evening, so make sure that the output damper is closed overnight and all of the day so you dont lose all the heat in one go.

It's really important that the damper is closed overnight otherwise the unit wont store enough heat for the next day. You need to make sure that the input is set high enough to store a days worth of heat.

The casing should be hot in the mornings and remain relatively hot nearly all day - if it doesn't then you've not stored enough heat, you've let it out too quickly or the heater isn't big enough (quite often the main problem)
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • I too am moving to a Bungalow with NSH but they're old and ugly I'd like to replace them can anyone recommend a make and model ? Read bad reviews about the fancy German ones so not what to choose please help !
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 24 February 2018 at 10:54PM
    Trivia wrote: »
    I too am moving to a Bungalow with NSH but they're old and ugly I'd like to replace them can anyone recommend a make and model ? Read bad reviews about the fancy German ones so not what to choose please help !

Dear oh dear - when will people learn.....

Any "fancy german ones" are a rip off.

All electric heaters are 100% efficient. So go ahead and buy fancy germans ones at £900-£2000 a pop (whatever the salesman manages to get out of you).

They will put out the same heat as a similar rated B&Q electric heater costing only £50.

---

All these heaters use day time electric. So they will cost nearly double to run than a night storage heater will.

A night storage heater is the cheapest way to heat an all electric property!

Also ignore any marketing claims about "clay core" "soapstone core" "custard core".

All the material inside does is determine how fast or slow heat is released.

The denser the material, the longer it takes to heat up and conversely the longer it will stay hot after the heater is turned off. A special core does not make it more efficient.

----

If you want the ultimate in convenience and probably add value to the property at the same time. Save any money you planned to spend on "fancy german heaters" and investigate the costs of installing gas central heating. If the cost is a bit more, put the money aside that you would have spend and save up.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,589
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Generally if it's got a clay core, oil filled, magic dust, liquid gold or other secret or exotic filling then it is generallynot a storage heater, it's just a very expensive radiator that runs on peak rate leccy and heats on demand. They do not charge up overnight on off peak energy.

They may look prettier and cost 10-20 times as much but they wont keep you any warmer and wont save you any money compared with a similarly rated £30 oil filled radiator from Argos despite what the glossy brochure or silver tongued salesman says.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • john1
    john1 Posts: 405
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have had NS heaters for around 50 years in three different properties and am completely satisfied.

We are now on Eon heatwise (E10) tariff

I use the Sector brand of automatic NS heaters which are almost identical to other uk brands but cost less.

You may need proper advise as to correct heater sizing and location.

Separate wiring will be needed to be installed around your home to ensure your heaters only get charged in the low cost electricity periods, controlled by the electric meter not a seperate time switch

Also make sure you position correctly ie NOT under window or on external wall but against internal wall.

NS heaters have no ongoing annual maintenance cost that saves around £400 per year over gas or oil alone

As others have said, close boost control on heater and leave closed

Set input to max to fully charge heater initially and warm up house fabric then adjust input control to 2/3 and leave alone for the season there should be no need to keep adjusting .

Basically switch on in autumn and forget until summer.

As your home internal walls warm up through the constant HS heat you will fine the external weather temperatures hardly affect the internal room temperature.

Currently just checked lounge temperature and is 22.4c time 2215hrs
  • Ok but what storage heater do I buy ? Make and model please and likely stockists ! Thanx
  • Re previous post I mean Night Storage Heaters
  • john1
    john1 Posts: 405
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sector Storage Heaters are stocked by WF Senate Electrical Wholesalers Branches throughout UK see http://wfsenate.co.uk/

A competent local electrician should be able to source and install for you.

Dimplex offer a individual room or whole house heating design service on the following link https://www.dimplex.co.uk/heat-design-team

Naturally they will offer design around the Dimplex range but if you stick to simple automatic night storage heaters design you can easily convert to other UK storage heaters
  • Thank you John1
    Went to Senate alas no branch near me (Devon)
    Will try link to Dimplex tho
  • Does anyone know of Night Storage Heater stockist in South Devon have tried googling but so far not a lot of joy !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure