Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • InvoluntaryAdult
    • By InvoluntaryAdult 28th Nov 17, 12:42 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Council Tax Conundrum
    • #1
    • 28th Nov 17, 12:42 PM
    Council Tax Conundrum 28th Nov 17 at 12:42 PM
    Hi there,
    So I find myself being in an interesting position. I am a full time student and property owner. I have 2 spare rooms and have a couple of lodgers living with me. (I was living there for 8 months before the lodgers moved in).
    The local council have given me a full council tax exemption, and when the lodger first approached me I was under the impression they were both full time students as well. It turns out that one is only a part time student and the other is unemployed, but an aspiring artist.

    Where does that leave me with council tax? Does my exemption still stand? Are the two lodgers obliged to start making contributions.

    I feel my situation is quite unique which is possibly why I haven't found any advice on the internet.

    Many Thanks
Page 2
    • aneary
    • By aneary 29th Nov 17, 2:19 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    If they are lodgers can't you just say that as they are not CT exempt you will need to charge them the cost of the CT.

    If they do not wish to pay the extra amount then they can leave and you can either get a fellow student or someone willing to pay the CT.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

320Posts Today

3,790Users online

Martin's Twitter