Another sanity check

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    In your shoes I might retire soon and make up for missing income in 17/18 by using some of the TFLS from the money purchase scheme. Then in 18/19 onwards I'd drawdown enough from that scheme to use up my Personal Allowance vs income tax, and boost that to £25k using more of the TFLS.
    At 60 I'd start my DB pension. Then I'd boost my income to the desired £25k using more drawdown and TFLS. Finally at 67 I'd have an adequate annual income from DB + State Retirement Pension and a useful back-up of cash left in my money purchase pension.

I suppose that if I were an unconfident investor I might invest most of the capital within the money purchase scheme into a "ladder" of gilts.

The alternative is one you've suggested: work part time or even just find an undemanding job wth a different employer. There's no sense in risking your health by sticking to the wrong job when you have such a fine level of capital/pension rights under your belt.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • That's really helpful and reassuring. Often difficult to know how to assess ones situation. Worry about inflation too, but at least have a little indexation (capped) built into DB pension. Need to think about part time, different job, or one more year!

Great to have your input.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    you have about 25O k spare- why would you need to think about OMY (one more year, a recognised syndrome:)
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • It would be £225k ( depending on how I take it), but very much appreciate your point about one more year. Definitely one I will mull over.

Thanks
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I wiild have imagined you done that one more year and have not 300 k but lets say 330 k. Why 330 would be enough and 300 not so ?
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • Yes, a good point.

Kidmugsy, can I ask you how I would go about looking into a ladder of gilts - not sure I can do that in the schemes I'm am in. Where would I be best moving funds to?

Thanks
  • You have several options depending on whether you plan on going before 60 or before. If you use the DC pot to bridge the gap between now and 60 that reduces it by £75k - £100k at £25k per annum depending on returns. If you then take your DB pension at 60 there will be a £6.5k shortfall for 6 years which presumably again will come from the DC pot until your state pension kicks in. I would say you can afford to go now or within the next year. I don't think I would go for an annuity but if it gives you peace of mind then you should do it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thanks, that's helpful.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    DO IT! Life's not a rehearsal.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Moving from a salaried, full-time job to a series of part-time, temporary, hourly-paid jobs was, for me, a breath of fresh air. Very little stress, not too much expected of you, you choose where and when to work. I found it an ideal way to transition into retirement, earning a little money for extras such as holidays. Maybe you could pop into a local temping agency and ask what they could do for you, before jumping?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure