Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 27th Nov 17, 10:30 AM
    • 265Posts
    • 109Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Lloyds and Halifax customers left without 'balance low' text alerts as...
    • 27th Nov 17, 10:30 AM
    MSE News: Lloyds and Halifax customers left without 'balance low' text alerts as... 27th Nov 17 at 10:30 AM
    Lloyds, Halifax and Bank of Scotland stopped sending customers text alerts warning them their balance was low in the wake of a huge shake-up of its overdraft charges because of "technical difficulties", MoneySavingExpert.com can reveal...
    Read the full story:
    'Lloyds and Halifax customers left without 'balance low' text alerts as overdraft changes kick in'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 3rd Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    This happened to me! Knew I wasn't the only one. They did refund the charges when I complained.
    • Gambler
    • By Gambler 27th Dec 17, 11:05 AM
    • 3,172 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    Gambler
    • 27th Dec 17, 11:05 AM
    • 27th Dec 17, 11:05 AM
    I've not received any text alerts including my weekly mini-statement since 02-Nov. Logged in online but can't see where to even access the alerts details?
    • datlex
    • By datlex 27th Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 1,588 Thanks
    datlex
    • 27th Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 27th Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    Strange I am still getting alerts
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 27th Dec 17, 12:47 PM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    Uxb
    • 27th Dec 17, 12:47 PM
    • 27th Dec 17, 12:47 PM
    I've not received any text alerts including my weekly mini-statement since 02-Nov. Logged in online but can't see where to even access the alerts details?
    Originally posted by Gambler
    That's because the mini statements have stopped forever and as the replacement "service" is not working they have presumably removed the facility to modify it.
    I'm quite sure I got an email or possibly a secure document online about the changes in October...
    • polygoose
    • By polygoose 6th Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    polygoose
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    Not affecting business accounts (yet!)
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    I am still getting mini-statements on my Lloyds business account, but my personal account stopped after the final one on 30th October.
    I have complained to Lloyds via the feedback box because my balance dropped below £2000 on the personal account, which means they will charge me a monthly fee for the value added account. (I am a long standing Gold Account customer so I get exempted if the balance stays above 2000). If I get charged, I'll see if they will refund it. I'll be surprised if they do!
    • Gambler
    • By Gambler 6th Jan 18, 11:15 PM
    • 3,172 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    Gambler
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:15 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:15 PM
    Thanks for the replies. So I guess a simple mini statement via text is too much to ask? HSBC here I come.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 6th Jan 18, 11:27 PM
    • 59,239 Posts
    • 52,614 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:27 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:27 PM
    With internet access who needs texts?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Gambler
    • By Gambler 6th Jan 18, 11:31 PM
    • 3,172 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    Gambler
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:31 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:31 PM
    I receive a weekly text from First Direct, have done for many years. Received the same from Halifax until recently.
    • SugarViolet
    • By SugarViolet 15th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SugarViolet
    Lloyds - low balance alerts
    As a self-employed person I have, over the past couple of years, become reliant upon the alerts to know when to move money into my current account as I have no regular income as such. On checking my account before Christmas I was horrified to see that I was over £3000 overdrawn which is in excess of the overdraft limit on that account. There were considerable associated charges. I had an argument with Lloyds about this as they took the stance that my account is my responsibility, not theirs. They did eventually reimburse the charges and pay a small amount of compensation which was really not worth the grief. I was assured by both of the people I spoke to that the texts would restart the following week and had a text confirming this on 28/12. The next text I received was telling me that I had gone overdrawn and incurred charges again. I understand that the old alerts are not coming back. Removing this valuable service in these days of 'responsible banking' is money-grabbing and unprincipled. I am fortunate in that it will be easy for me to change providers but appreciate that will not be the case for everyone.
    • eri bab
    • By eri bab 15th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    eri bab
    Yes, the same problem happened here, I have a Lloyds Bank account. All text alerts were obviously removed, as I received nothing - and the first I knew about the 'new' interest being changed on an authorised overdraft, was when I logged in at the end of the month to discover the rather large amount of money that had been charged for being overdrawn. There has been absolutely *no* texts about my balance getting low. I complained on twitter and they offered no redress on recouping that back. Atrocious. I'm now considering moving away after nigh on 25 years with the bank.
    • No_6
    • By No_6 15th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    No_6
    So most don't look after their spending's, incomings, out goings.
    Simple spread sheet and enter data is all you need.

Just add data, you will be in control.

Couple of minutes a night and you know ALL.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 17th Jan 18, 2:05 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    BooJewels
    I've had different, but associated, problems with Halifax, since the fee structure changes. I log in every few days to my on-line account and balance that against the spreadsheet I run for the account. I even edited that to allow a column for the daily fees, which then totalled into my usual columns, to keep lots of small amounts more manageable on-screen.

So whilst a bit more work for me (and a bit more expensive), it should work efficiently enough, in principle. But the problem I have experienced several times now is that I struggle getting my own spreadsheet to balance, I'm regularly off somewhere. It is my practice to take a screengrab of the transaction list, then tick these off on-screen as I put them on the spreadsheet.

The problem transpires to be that the list of transactions presented on-screen when logged in to the bank account isn't complete. If there are 25 items listed and I refresh the page or click 'load more transactions', I might get a different 25 transactions. Where in reality, there might be 27 or 28 transactions in the period of time covered. At the suggestion of their on-line banking help people - who struggled to even grasp the problem I described - I have updated my browsers to the latest versions (which made no difference) and this seems to happen regularly in Chrome and Firefox, but not in i.e. But I would prefer to work in my own browser of choice with my screen grab add-ons etc. It makes it hard to balance these additional charges and your spending when the information presented isn't reliable and keeps changing.

They then added a feature to allow you to download or view a pdf of your statements and this is certainly more accurate in terms of the transactions presented (if you download the current month this shows all transactions up to date), but the feature isn't always there, some days the link to do this just vanishes.

So clearly, at the moment, their on-line banking isn't yet working reliably with the new fee structure. Yet all of their letters etc. have said to monitor your on-line account to ensure that you have sufficient funds to cover their charges. I've wasted a lot of time in trying to get my account to balance, returning to check figures and trying to explain to them how it isn't working. Of course, they reckon I have something strange going on on my computer or as one chap repeatedly stated "if you're using a hacked browser" because I said I preferred Firefox because I like it's in-built developer tools.
    • realaledrinker
    • By realaledrinker 5th Feb 18, 1:32 PM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    realaledrinker
    I suddenly today received a text message (never had one before) saying I didn't have enough in my account to cover the days payments, which is complete rubbish. My £750 to get my cashback came in overnight to cover the standing order for the same amount going back out today. The balance quoted in the text even included the £750 so no idea what's going on. No doubt things will right themselves later. Typical Halifax.
    Ethical moneysaver
    • Wheres My Cashback
    • By Wheres My Cashback 6th Feb 18, 2:42 PM
    • 3,012 Posts
    • 37,418 Thanks
    Wheres My Cashback
    Any responsible person shouldn't need text alerts to advise them. They should know what they're spending and whether they have the ability pay for that expenditure !
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 6th Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    Uxb
    Sadly you (and me) are living in as in a few decades ago.
    A time when we did not have internet access, banks were only open 9:30am to 3:30pm during weekdays only.
    A time when yes as I do now we kept a running balance in our heads/on bits of paper as to what we had spent, what DD's were going out and what cheques we had written.

Then we reconciled our approx calcs each month when the monthly statement came though the post.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 6th Feb 18, 2:59 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    BooJewels
    Any responsible person shouldn't need text alerts to advise them. They should know what they're spending and whether they have the ability pay for that expenditure !
    Originally posted by Wheres My Cashback
    So you've never had a DD go out on the wrong day, or your salary go in late, or a cheque you've paid in bounce, or some other fault beyond your control (in all fairness, some are my husband using his debit card without telling me, or using the wrong one), that means your account isn't as you think that it should be at a particular point in time. If not, then you've been very lucky.

(I personally don't use the text alerts and keep a very tight rein on my account, but have experienced all of the above making a mess of my balance at some point, despite my best efforts.)
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 6th Feb 18, 3:04 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    BooJewels
    Then we reconciled our approx calcs each month when the monthly statement came though the post.
    Originally posted by Uxb
    I'm just undertaking a massive clean up of filed paperwork and scanning a lot to free up some storage space and found a load of old exercise books where I recorded my incoming and outgoings and ticked them in red when they appeared on the statement.

I'd totally forgotten that I even did that before computers. I shall keep them for posterity.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,731Posts Today

7,834Users online

Martin's Twitter