Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Vision1
    • By Vision1 25th Nov 17, 12:30 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Vision1
    Driving without insurance
    • 25th Nov 17, 12:30 PM
    Driving without insurance 25th Nov 17 at 12:30 PM
    Hi guys I got caught driving without insurance as I sold my car yesterday and he said to keep it running untill tomorrow so I started my insurance next day at 9:00 but I started driving at 8 40 as I didn't think anything for the 20 minutes but as I got to the end of the street a cyclist went over the give way line as I was on the main road came straight in front my car? I don't know why maybe they wanted a insurance claim so now the police got called I explained the situation and they said at the time of incident you had no insurance as it started at 9 and it happened at 8 40.
    Now what they said you have been cautioned you have the right to remain silence .... They said I would be getting 6 points driving without insurance and 3 points. So what does you have been cautioned mean?
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 25th Nov 17, 12:32 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,575 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 25th Nov 17, 12:32 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 12:32 PM
    It means you have been advised of your rights

You need to take this to pepipoo for best advice.

This forum majors on private parking charges rather than proper police fines
    • Vision1
    • By Vision1 25th Nov 17, 12:50 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vision1
    • 25th Nov 17, 12:50 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 12:50 PM
    Advised of your rights? So does this mean I can still drive?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 25th Nov 17, 12:54 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,575 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 25th Nov 17, 12:54 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 12:54 PM
    Go to pepipoo for best advice

For general motoring advice post in the main motoring forum

(You only cannot drive if you have been banned or a condition that means you mustn't - have you?)
    Last edited by Quentin; 25-11-2017 at 12:58 PM.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 25th Nov 17, 12:56 PM
    • 11,482 Posts
    • 13,099 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 25th Nov 17, 12:56 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 12:56 PM
    Advised of your rights? So does this mean I can still drive?
    Originally posted by Vision1
    Yes.
    Until it goes to court, you have not been found guilty of any offence so can keep driving.
    However, as the incident occurred before your new insurance policy had started, the insurance company concerned may well decide to refuse to provide cover for you and they may cancel your policy.
    If this happens, getting a new policy may well be very hard or expensive.
    • Vision1
    • By Vision1 25th Nov 17, 1:12 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vision1
    • 25th Nov 17, 1:12 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 1:12 PM
    It was not a new policy it was a current policy as I had sold they car yesteday and switched it to the this car at 9 I called my insurance and they said I don't have to tell them anything as I have been cautioned and not convicted of driving without insurance.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 25th Nov 17, 1:17 PM
    • 36,780 Posts
    • 47,462 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 25th Nov 17, 1:17 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 1:17 PM
    Of course you havent been convicted ...yet.
    You havent been to court yet.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 25th Nov 17, 1:52 PM
    • 10,893 Posts
    • 10,399 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 25th Nov 17, 1:52 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 1:52 PM
    But if you do get points on your licence, you need to tell them, unfortunately as if you have another accident, you may not be fully insured if you don't.
    • newbie1980
    • By newbie1980 25th Nov 17, 2:01 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 23,440 Thanks
    newbie1980
    • 25th Nov 17, 2:01 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 2:01 PM
    i know you said you swapped it over but alot of insurances allow you to drive another car third party

so surely you would be insured third party to drive another car on the insurance you already had

so surely you were not driving without insurance
    • HeatonGuy
    • By HeatonGuy 25th Nov 17, 2:03 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    HeatonGuy
    Third party cover only applies to cars you do not own. That means that once you have bought the new car, it's not covered on "third party"
    • blackmath
    • By blackmath 25th Nov 17, 2:09 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    blackmath
    If your insurance company say you are covered then you have nothing to worry about (they decide whether you are covered by them or not, not the police). If you were told it would be fine by the insurance company on the phone, demand a letter explaining that you were indeed under cover by your insurance company as you had informed them of the vehicle change. For administrative reasons this only went on record the next day. If any incident or claim were to have occurred they would have had to pay out.

In court, present this letter and you will be fine.

Do this before any phone recordings are deleted.
    Last edited by blackmath; 25-11-2017 at 2:13 PM.
    • Vision1
    • By Vision1 25th Nov 17, 2:28 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vision1
    Image attached I am with bell so I am not old enough to get third party other cars is what the police said but I thought 21 and over included this.

I started it at that time as the buyer of the car I sold said his insurance opens at 9 so i thought I would start it then.

All this for 20 mins difference. Police did say even though it starts at 9 I was not insured at the time of 8 40. So it was not like I was avoiding getting car insurance as it started at 9.

Will I actually have to go court for this? Or like the police said take the 6 points and 300 fine. I have driven for 3 years never had any points or anything
    • Vision1
    • By Vision1 25th Nov 17, 2:32 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vision1
    It won't let me post pictures but it was just of image of my insurance starting at 9 yesterday
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 25th Nov 17, 2:35 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,575 Thanks
    Quentin
    You look to be getting a fpn rather than a court summons

Is the cyclist injured? Could be costly for you if that is the case!!
    • HeatonGuy
    • By HeatonGuy 25th Nov 17, 2:46 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    HeatonGuy
    Image attached I am with bell so I am not old enough to get third party other cars is what the police said but I thought 21 and over included this.
    Many policies don't include this any more. You need to carefully read your insurance certificate and terms, to ensure this doesn't happen again.

However, if you follow Blackmath's advice, and contact the insurance now to get confirmation of cover, this will stop the matter in its tracks.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 25th Nov 17, 2:53 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,575 Thanks
    Quentin

However, if you follow Blackmath's advice, and contact the insurance now to get confirmation of cover, this will stop the matter in its tracks.
    Originally posted by HeatonGuy
    Doesn't look likely:

It won't let me post pictures but it was just of image of my insurance starting at 9 yesterday
    • jlemaitre
    • By jlemaitre 25th Nov 17, 2:53 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    jlemaitre
    I'm very surprised the police said you'll get a 300 fine, A friend bought a new car and drove it just before the policy started and got fined 850 the points and a 6 month driving ban.

He also lost his job(driving).

What is the 3 points you're getting that you mentioned for?

Don't forget that whatever the fine is, You need to add court costs and a victim surcharge as well.

Also I suggest keeping several thousands of pounds spare incase of a case brought against you, For the incident with the cyclist.
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 25th Nov 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 3,117 Thanks
    Johnersh
    Undoubtedly uninsured and undoubtedly an offence.

Take advice when you receive either an offer of a fixed penalty or a court date. This forum is not the best place for that advice.

I fear there will be consequences to your onward insurance if you accept any penalty or are convicted. You are required to declare that as your present cover is based on the information available to them. A material fact may effect their willingness to continue offering cover (and, if not covered) you would then risk being uninsured again.
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 25th Nov 17, 3:03 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    I'm very surprised the police said you'll get a 300 fine, A friend bought a new car and drove it just before the policy started and got fined 850 the points and a 6 month driving ban.
    That's because the matter was heard in court and the six months ban indicates that he was disqualified under the "totting up" process (12 points in three years).

You should make absolutely sure that you are not covered by your insurers but from what you say it seems unlikely..

You should receive a Fixed Penalty Offer for the offence. This is 300 and six points. I assume you passed your first test more than two years ago. If not your licence will be revoked under the "new Drivers" regulations.

Take advice when you receive either an offer of a fixed penalty or a court date.
    There's not much advice to be given other than to ensure that no cover was in place and if not to make sure he complies with the conditions of the Fixed Penalty Offer. No Insurance is a "strict liability" offence - you either have it or you don't. The OP has little in the way of mitigation except that he had insurance in place to run from 9am. To put this forward he will have to go to court (where it is unlikely to make any significant difference). The court cannot impose less than six points and the financial penalty will undoubtedly be greater than 300.
    Last edited by TooManyPoints; 25-11-2017 at 3:10 PM.
    • jlemaitre
    • By jlemaitre 25th Nov 17, 3:10 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    jlemaitre
    No, No previous points. So the friend must have been silly to allow it to get that far then. Of course he may have requested it to go to court instead of accepting the offer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,837Posts Today

8,490Users online

Martin's Twitter