Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MissMarble
    • By MissMarble 22nd Nov 17, 10:45 AM
    • 41Posts
    • 53Thanks
    MissMarble
    Best places to buy in Manchester for a first-timer (that isn't Didsbury)
    • 22nd Nov 17, 10:45 AM
    Best places to buy in Manchester for a first-timer (that isn't Didsbury) 22nd Nov 17 at 10:45 AM
    Hi everyone,

My partner and I are looking to (hopefully) buy our first home at some point in the not too distant future in Manchester. I wondered if there are any Manchester-based forum dwellers who could shed some light on good places to check out for buying in as first timers?

We've looked at 5 properties so far - in Urmston, Preswich, Heaton Norris and in central Stockport. Out of those, the areas we liked the most were Urmston and Preswich as they had a nice community, things on our doorstep and good houses. Since last looking in Urmston, I've noticed house prices are rapidly increasing which is a little concerning for first time buyers!

Having lived in Rusholme for the past 6 years, we are ready to move away from this area. We are keen on having a house with a bit of character, in a good/up and coming location with amenities around us i.e. cafes and shops as well as being easily commutable (or as best can be) into Manchester city centre. Where we currently live, it's not in the nicest of areas and so I feel location is pulling on our heart strings - but we would like somewhere we can put our own stamp on things and hopefully make a bit of a profit too.

Our budget is around 220,000 - 250,000 (absolute max) and I know this can buy us a bit more in areas slightly out of the hot spot perimeters and very little within them! We'd be looking at 2 - 3 bedrooms or 2 beds with room for a loft conversion (for my boyfriend's office/man cave).

We are also looking at areas such as Monton - also Walkden (although I've heard conflicting views on this location), but if anyone has any specific areas where they feel would be worth exploring or even avoiding, I'd be keen to hear.

As an avid-viewer of Location, Location, Location I also feel I may need to pull in Phil & Kirsty for their help too!

But for now, thank you in advance!
Page 3
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 8th Dec 17, 9:43 AM
    • 33,575 Posts
    • 18,212 Thanks
    kingstreet
    the sewage works is behind the retail park that the McDonalds is on near the motorway but the small travels as far as Bedford road on a bad day in the summer. On a really really bad day (after lots of heat) it can be smelt s far as Monton though though so it's hard to avoid if its really really bad!
    Originally posted by Rambosmum
    Don't forget you have Davyhulme sewage works on one side of the canal and Peel Green sewage works on the other.

When I was a kid living on Peel Green Road, you got the stink from both if the wind was blowing the wrong way.

Still, after a while you just don't notice it.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • MissMarble
    • By MissMarble 14th Dec 17, 5:51 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    MissMarble
    Hi, i just wanted to share my experience!

I was born and raised in Urmston, and my partner and I rent here now-it has changed massively, the restaurants and bars are great & has an artisan market. As a teenager I referred to here as as Manchester's dullest suburb! I can personally attest to the very good local schools. However I would say that the train connection to the city centre is not reliable-my partner who uses it has flexi-time to account for the fact that it is constantly late and cancelled, especially in the winter months. The M60 here also goes to pot at Christmas and you have to queue for an hour to get off at Junction 9 or 10 because of the Trafford Centre. And in summer the whole place reeks of sewage. The only real pull for us to stay was our parents both living here.

We began our house hunt in August with a budget of 200k. One rightmove search will tell you that gets you a 1 bed here now! We decided we wanted to move area and scouted other places.

We quickly ruled out Salford. I have lived in less desirable areas before in Manchester and Leeds, so it wasn't that I'm mega fussy in that regard. There was a house very near Monton that we went to see and all the houses had union jacks hanging out the window and people sitting in the street drinking in the middle of the day. It's ok when you're younger but not when you're buying. We also thought about Chimney pot Park but there isn't much in the way of nice bars or restaurants near there to wander to on an evening, you'd have to go to town.

I booked a viewing in Prestwich and we knew that was it straight away. It was a Thursday evening and all the bars and restaurants were packed out, it had such a great vibe. We had so much choice for our money too. When viewing properties it was all young professionals and when speaking to neighbours they said it was a great community, lots to do etc. We are now waiting to exchange on our house- a 3 bed semi under 180k! Prices are rising rapidly there though, in line with Urmston but obviously still cheaper. We got such a good price as it requires work but the terraces that are nicely done go in 48 hours flat with multiple offers. No one property hung around for long (unless there was something seriously wrong with it).

So there you go! Come be my neighbour!
    Originally posted by phoebeannel

Hi phoebeannel!

Thank you so much for your reply and apologies for the delay in getting back to you - I've been meaning to write as your message did make me smile!
    I just wanted to say thank you for your message and it's great to hear your story. I really like Prestwich so I'm hoping in the new year/spring time there will be some properties out there which we can look at and hopefully buy!

When we escape Rusholme and pop down to Didsbury the one thing I love is seeing everyone out - whether it's shopping or having some food - and I think I picked up a similar vibe from Prestwich even though we were just driving around!

How did you find the whole process? I'm just so amazed at how quickly properties come and go. I doubt before putting an offer in we would even get time for a second viewing which is pretty scary. Any thoughts you have or even recommendations of an estate agent would be awesome to hear!

Thank you!
    • MissMarble
    • By MissMarble 14th Dec 17, 5:56 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    MissMarble
    Out of curiosity, I know Cheadle Hulme has been mentioned (thank you) but can anyone shed some light on Cheadle, Cheadle Hulme & Cheadle Heath and whether or not its basically the same area or if each has their own character? I keep seeing properties ping up from these areas and while I can see they are a bit spread out on the map, I'm not sure about how each of them actually are.

I think we did drive through Cheadle Village last Christmas and it reminded me so much of my hometown!
    • wantonnoodle
    • By wantonnoodle 15th Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    wantonnoodle
    I would recommend somewhere around Sale or Altrincham. They're both on the Metrolink, have direct bus links to the city centre on the 263, and Altrincham is also on the Piccadilly to Chester rail line, so they are well connected for commuting.

Altrincham town centre has a great vibe with loads of great restaurants, cafes and bars if you enjoy getting out and about.

We bought in West Timperley at the start of the year, having lived in the Broadheath and Sale areas in rentals for years and haven't regretted a thing. Granted, Broadheath is not the most desirable area of Altrincham, but it is still a pleasant area nonetheless (notwithstanding a few less salubrious streets of social housing, but if you avoid them you'll be fine), and there is a Waitrose close by. There are some newish houses on the Stamford Brook development coming on the market now, originally built about 5 years ago, though I think there is another phase under development a bit further out from the main road if you're interested in brand new build.
    • KTD10
    • By KTD10 15th Dec 17, 2:58 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    KTD10
    If you want to be walking distance to Dids Village there is this one...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63102481.html

It's so hard trying to pick an area! We are in the process of buying a house in Manchester and I think we went round and round in circles before we decided on an area we were both happy with!
    • Barter
    • By Barter 15th Dec 17, 4:07 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    Barter
    Altrincham
    Hale
    Sale
    Worsley
    Chorlton
    Wilmslow
    Alderley Edge
    Knutsford
    Cheadle Hulme
    Dunham Massay
    Timperley

NO TO SALFORD
    Originally posted by Help1234
    So what's wrong with Lymm?
    • ACG
    • By ACG 15th Dec 17, 5:28 PM
    • 17,043 Posts
    • 8,929 Thanks
    ACG
    My office is in Urmston, the area there just seems to be getting better and better, I have noticed a lot of changes over the last couple of years.

Didsbury is nice, but it is over rated. I used to spend a lot of time round there drinking and growing up, but it is not all it is cracked up to be.

I live on the border of Cheadle Hulme/Bramhall, both nice areas in the main. Although if you like German cars then I would probably stay away, they all seem to be getting nicked. Bramhall might be a little out of the budget, but Cheadle hulme should be fine.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • MissMarble
    • By MissMarble 18th Dec 17, 1:23 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    MissMarble
    Thanks AGC!

Can you shed some light on Cheadle Heath for me? I can see it's a bit further down from the village - but is it a nice area? I've seen a few properties around this area but I'm a bit worried as some of them are near the Cheadle Heath sewage works! We viewed a lovely property near to the village on Saturday which we loved but there has been an offer and we're just waiting for an updated MIP appointment!

Thanks again for your reply.
    • Smevchenko
    • By Smevchenko 18th Dec 17, 2:43 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Smevchenko

I live on the border of Cheadle Hulme/Bramhall, both nice areas in the main. Although if you like German cars then I would probably stay away, they all seem to be getting nicked. Bramhall might be a little out of the budget, but Cheadle hulme should be fine.
    Originally posted by ACG
    250,000 will not buy you very much in Cheadle Hulme........ there are certainly some available for that price, but not attractive houses and not in the best locations of Cheadle Hulme. The house i grew up in is in a desirable location, very near to excellent schools, 3-4 bed, but with fairly small rooms, and you would need 325k plus for that.

Cheadle Heath is easily affordable, but certainly not as desirable/ up and coming like Monton, Prestwich, Urmston etc. You are near to Cheadle, but Cheadle misses on some key points, no train station, 15-20 min walk from metrolink at Parrs Wood, high street is lacking some nice independent restaurants and bars etc. That being said, There are some nice houses on Stockport Road and the roads off there such as Elm Road South.
    Last edited by Smevchenko; 18-12-2017 at 2:45 PM.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 18th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 17,043 Posts
    • 8,929 Thanks
    ACG
    Here are 5 I found.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62881234.html
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51283287.html
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60836470.html
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70150319.html
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51923841.html

Smevchenko is right, you are not going to get the best houses in Cheadle Hulme for 250k, but there is always going to be a toss up between the property or the location. Personally I would rather have the cheapest house in the best area I can afford. I can do the house up and add value to the house. I cant do that to the area.

If you can afford 250k, I am not sure I would be moving to Cheadle Heath personally, that being said I do not know the area that well. I just remember going to view a house there 5 years ago and it reminded me of Shameless. A bloke sat on the pavement with cans of Stella, kids stood on street corner watching everywhere I go...I only have 5 fingers on each hand so obviously stood out like a sore thumb.

Just to add, I grew up in Burnage, so I am not a snob or anything like that. I just think if I am spending 200k plus on something, I want it to be in as nice an area as possible.

On a side note, I used to live in Heaton Mersey (not a million miles from Didsbury) and my car and home insurance are massively lower in Cheadle Hulme than they were in Heaton Mersey.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Smevchenko
    • By Smevchenko 18th Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Smevchenko
    House number 2:

Great location, 2 pubs within 30 metres, great schools within 5 mins walking, Cheadle Hulme village only 10-15 min walk....... but 255,000! I couldn't part with that much money for something that looks like that! Horrible.

Love the area, but so expensive now. 4 bed round the corner on Vicarage Ave would now be 425k plus i reckon. Madness
    • MissMarble
    • By MissMarble 18th Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    MissMarble
    We had a look at a house down Bulkeley Road the other day and it was such a lovely house - but by the time we get an updated mortgage in principle I know it will be gone! There's a Victorian terrace on Kingsland Road which looks quite nice (a bit smaller but definitely potential and cheaper) but it is closer towards the sewage works which I'm not sure about and more of a distance from the actual village. Compromises - ahhh!

I'll keep my eyes peeled in the new year as I'm sure there will be lots more properties! I think it's just good for us to view as many as we can and to figure out how much things are worth and the locations we most like! Although I'm definitely becoming addicted to checking out RightMove literally every hour.

This forum is such a great place
    • Help1234
    • By Help1234 18th Dec 17, 4:10 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Help1234
    So what's wrong with Lymm?
    Originally posted by Barter
    Ah you are right I forgot about Lymm - it is very beautiful. But maybe a little on the small side?
    I still think Altrincham or one of the Cheshire villages on either the Crewe - Manchester Pic train line (Sandbach, Holmes Chapel, Goostrey, Chelford, Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, Handforth, Cheadle Hulme...) or Stoke on Trent - Manchester Pic train line (Prestbury, Adlington, Poynton, Bramhall, Cheadle Hulme...) are the best bet.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 18th Dec 17, 4:14 PM
    • 17,043 Posts
    • 8,929 Thanks
    ACG
    Kingsland road is near where I went to view some houses that reminded me of shameless. I think it is the newer houses round the back of where you are looking.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    • MissMarble
    • By MissMarble 12th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    MissMarble
    Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd give a bit of an update. We are looking at a house in Heaton Chapel which we like - however it's at the top end of our budget and needs a bit of work doing (i.e. new kitchen/knocked down wall and potential cellar conversion later down the road). We know location is a huge priority for us and we do want to be in a good place, as I know we could change things but not the location! Has anyone got any feedback on Heaton Chapel?

As you may be able to tell we are feeling confused and wonder if we should just wait until spring - but wonder if we'll get priced out of a location/type of house we're looking for and it's probably be worth a shot exploring further now even if its just for the experience! The house is on at a guide price, so I think there's some flexibility - but I do need to investigate a bit more!

Thank you again for all your help
    • Help1234
    • By Help1234 12th Jan 18, 10:27 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Help1234
    What makes you want to move to Heaton Chapel? Just proximity to Manchester? Have you visited Altrincham or Sale?
    • MissMarble
    • By MissMarble 12th Jan 18, 11:31 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    MissMarble
    We haven't looked in Altrincham or Sale yet as nothing has particularly grabbed our attention there - still would be open to it... but we were quite impressed by HC's proximity to the city and nearby areas with bus/train
    • spirit
    • By spirit 13th Jan 18, 5:52 AM
    • 2,717 Posts
    • 6,213 Thanks
    spirit
    I live on the Heaton Chapel side of Heaton Norris. Tbh, any of the Heatons are nice . Lots of eateries around. Things to do. 11 mins on the train into Manchester. We have a very active Facebook group called the 4 Heatons hub. I've found all the trades I've needed for doing stuff on this house from there. Good too for finding out what's going on. In fact there is a walk organised this morning round there, so if you see a whole load of people wandering around, say hello..

Loads of stuff going on for all ages. I'm originally a southerner and moved here 8 months ago. People up here really are friendly as is the belief about northerners lol.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • dobymicks
    • By dobymicks 13th Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    dobymicks
    I would stick to south Manchester, Altrincham, Timperley.

or Wilmslow, Handforth, Heald green

Stay clear of Stockport, Cheadle Heath.
    • Beetroot24
    • By Beetroot24 13th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Beetroot24
    I live in Urmston and I love it, but if I were to move, I'd probably head towards Ashton on Mersey. When the weather is better, I walk there with my kids through the Mersey Valley because it has great parks, some lovely pubs, and it's a change of scenery. It takes about 20 minutes from the Nelson pub to AoM village. It feels like you're in the countryside, not in the suburbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,247Posts Today

6,613Users online

Martin's Twitter