Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lizzy___b
    • By Lizzy___b 20th Nov 17, 7:36 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Lizzy___b
    Ex owes me £2700
    • 20th Nov 17, 7:36 PM
    Ex owes me £2700 20th Nov 17 at 7:36 PM
    Hi
    Just after a bit of advise really.
    My ex owes me £2700 and is refusing payment plan. He just says "see you in court" when he bought the house he was £2700 short so I lent it to him. Bank Transferred
    He is also refusing to let me get my belongings ( house in his name) although I do still have some keys. He's says he'll get me arrested if I enter his house without permission.

Anyway back to the money

I need to send a letter of intent and wondered if anyone had a template I could use.i have no idea what to put.
    To be fair any helpful info would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Page 3
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 23rd Nov 17, 3:31 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    She is not going to get arrested.
    Stop trolling the thread.
    Originally posted by avogadro

I'm not trolling. I'm highlighting inappropriate behaviour. Someone sending mail demanding money to work and family is committing harassment.

Feel free to ignore my posts if you don't like them.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 23rd Nov 17, 3:51 PM
    • 4,030 Posts
    • 7,260 Thanks
    avogadro
    Feel free to ignore my posts if you don't like them.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Given MSE's apparent inability (or disinclination) to deal with blatant AEs who've been previously banned from the site, that's about all we can do, I think.
    • Lizzy___b
    • By Lizzy___b 23rd Nov 17, 6:13 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Lizzy___b
    Well that escalated quickly haha

It needed to go to his work address cos that's where he'll be. It'll only be opened by him. The one sent to his house will never be collected. I'm hoping his mum might knock some sense into him ( I haven't actually sent the one to her yet. I chickened out)

I used the one posted on here as a template.
    • Lizzy___b
    • By Lizzy___b 23rd Nov 17, 6:26 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Lizzy___b

It needed to go to his work address cos that's where he'll be. It'll only be opened by him. The one sent to his house will never be collected. I'm hoping his mum might knock some sense into him ( I haven't actually sent the one to her yet. I chickened out)

• Comms69
    • By Comms69 23rd Nov 17, 6:38 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    I get what youíre saying, but itís best to send to his home.

The problem with sending recorded is that if he doesnít sign for it, you canít prove it served.

At work it wonít be served as thereís no guarantee it got to him.

The best way is 1st class to home address. The courts accept this.

In regards sending to family, donít. Itís really risky if he does decide to make a complaint.
    • Mr Pither
    • By Mr Pither 25th Nov 17, 3:48 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Mr Pither

Originally posted by Lizzy___b
    You could accidentally sent it to the wrong person I suppose... these things happen

She might be interested to know what her darling little boy has done to this poor woman.

I'd also be posting on social media to warn others.
    • Lizzy___b
    • By Lizzy___b 4th Jan 18, 8:47 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Lizzy___b
    Well, he ignored the letter of intent so court papers were submitted yesterday. It turned out that my belongings were worth around £1650 and I actually lent him £2900. I have to say I was really suprised how little detail you have to put on the court forms. I only had 1000 characters. Fingers crossed he ignores this as well!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 4th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 10,633 Posts
    • 13,896 Thanks
    hazyjo
    You could accidentally sent it to the wrong person I suppose... these things happen

She might be interested to know what her darling little boy has done to this poor woman.
    Originally posted by Mr Pither
    From my experience, mothers defend their 'darling little boys' to the hilt When my ex husband cheated on me, his mum seemed more bothered that he'd had to iron his own shirts when we went on honeymoon (I worked full time, as did he)!
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 4th Jan 18, 9:50 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    Well, he ignored the letter of intent so court papers were submitted yesterday. It turned out that my belongings were worth around £1650 and I actually lent him £2900. I have to say I was really suprised how little detail you have to put on the court forms. I only had 1000 characters. Fingers crossed he ignores this as well!
    Is that new or second hand?
    • Lizzy___b
    • By Lizzy___b 5th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Lizzy___b
    New. That's what it would cost me to replace
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 5th Jan 18, 8:40 PM
    • 12,648 Posts
    • 26,388 Thanks
    robpw2
    There are a couple of items of furniture but I have a van so could cope with removal. To be fair all the furniture is mine but I'm leaving him with all of it except a few bits that my Nan gave me. I have informed the police but they are not interested.

I do have text from him admitting he owes the money so thought may be that's enough. It will have to go to smal claims. It's been 3 months now and he won't play nice. I've been trying to call CAB today but there was no one available all day so thought I'd try here.

Thanks
    The thing is the text doesnt detail terms or conditions ... You can only claim back if you can prove it was a loan and that there was an understanding that it had to be paid back

IE. i give you 2700 - you will pay it back by 3rd month etc

Otherwise its unlikely that they will determine that you intended to create legal relations and that your only asking for the money back now because you have been dumped

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 5th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 12,648 Posts
    • 26,388 Thanks
    robpw2
    But the op said she had only been living there for four weeks? Not a great deal of time to be paying mortgages and bills as she advised she did...
    Originally posted by Ragtimeplayer
    or to pay back £2700 either -

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    • Lizzy___b
    • By Lizzy___b 5th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Lizzy___b
    I have emails from him admitting he owes the money and that he would give my belongings back. Would that help?
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 5th Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    • 12,648 Posts
    • 26,388 Thanks
    robpw2
    I have emails from him admitting he owes the money and that he would give my belongings back. Would that help?
    ok belongings aside because he does need to return those to you

In terms of the money even if he says he does owe it if there are no agreements in terms of timescales etc there isn't a contract.

• Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Jan 18, 10:39 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    New. That's what it would cost me to replace
    You cant claim new for old.

You can only claim the value at the time.

It would not cost £2700 to replace like for like, which is what you're entitled to
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 8th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 7,648 Posts
    • 8,536 Thanks
    pelirocco
    You cant claim new for old.

You can only claim the value at the time.

It would not cost £2700 to replace like for like, which is what you're entitled to

You can submit what you like on a online money claim ,its up to the defendant to challenge it .OP keep an eye on the timescales if he doesnt defend in time ,push the button for judgement and follow through with warrant of control .If he does defend take it to abitration
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Jan 18, 11:37 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    You can submit what you like on a online money claim ,its up to the defendant to challenge it .OP keep an eye on the timescales if he doesnt defend in time ,push the button for judgement and follow through with warrant of control .If he does defend take it to abitration
    Originally posted by pelirocco

Ok you wont successfully claim new for old, assuming the defence submits even the most basic argument.

I shortened it to save the OP time making an incorrect claim.
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 8th Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    • 7,648 Posts
    • 8,536 Thanks
    pelirocco
    Ok you wont successfully claim new for old, assuming the defence submits even the most basic argument.

I shortened it to save the OP time making an incorrect claim.
    It doesnt matter , if he submits a defence it can go to abitration , the court may ask for proof to back up the amounts ,but thats easily found
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    It doesnt matter , if he submits a defence it can go to abitration , the court may ask for proof to back up the amounts ,but thats easily found
    Originally posted by pelirocco

No.

It can go for mediation, which may or may not succeed.

It can only go to arbitration if both parties agree.

Like I said the amounts might be 'found' but the OP will not succeed in claiming new for old. I'm not sure why you're arguing this point - it's a very basic legal principle.
    • zackyv6661
    • By zackyv6661 8th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    zackyv6661
    I sent him the letter of intent by registered post to his house, his work, his mother's house and his email address. I also sent a screen shot of my bank account clearly transferring the money to him. I got an email asking for proof it was given as a loan. I just replied saying put it in writing. He's reply was "tough"

Lovely man!

I still can't get through to CAB. Think I'm gonna have to take a day off and pay them a visit instead.
    This sounds very similar to what happened with my ex in Summer 2016. We had moved into a rented home, where I purchased almost all of the furniture, and also some extras for us including an £800 TV, Playstation and a new sofa (£1,700). My ex was a violent, horrid person however and I left after he had shown his true colours. As I had to get out of the house quickly (the next day when he left for work), I could only take what I could pack into bags and had to leave the furniture etc that I had paid for. He argued with me until he was blue in the face to tell me that I was getting none of the furniture which I had paid for. I had planned to take this further, but because of the type of person he was, I decided to cut my losses and leave it - material possessions can be replaced. Dealing with him for longer than I needed to was just not worth it to me.

I think weigh up your options whether it is really worth fighting him for the furniture and money, or if it is going to cause you more stress/aggravation maybe consider calling it a day.
    Credit Card: £5350 (£5210 remaining)
    Overdraft: £1498.68
    Loan 1: £5000 (£2252.26 remaining)
    Loan 2: £1656.90 - PAID!!
    Very: £703.97 (£553.97 remaining)
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge: £291.51/£2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

2,190Users online

Martin's Twitter