Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tjp70
    • By tjp70 19th Nov 17, 5:05 PM
    • 411Posts
    • 2,156Thanks
    tjp70
    Let's Get Motivated
    • 19th Nov 17, 5:05 PM
    Let's Get Motivated 19th Nov 17 at 5:05 PM
    It’s time for me to find some motivation and I thought that, maybe, we could all help spur each other on. So I have started this thread in the hope that we can provide support to each other and motivate ourselves to get stuff done.

Each day/week, I have good intentions of getting some jobs done and usually I write long lists. Sometimes, however, I get disheartened by how much I have to do and I also feel despondent that I have crossed off so little. I end up feeling like a failure. But this is all going to change. I am not writing any more unachievable lists and I shall now start to celebrate the successes instead of the failures. I am hoping that by being more organised and accountable on this forum, will also save me time and money.

So here are today’s successes:
    • Bled the radiators after the heating engineers visit last week.
    • Made Christmas charity shoebox for work collection tomorrow.
    • Cooked gammon joint before it goes out of date.
    Tomorrow’s urgent jobs:
    • Post 18th birthday card to friend’s daughter and think of suitable present.
    • Dust something!

It would be lovely if some of you could join me so that I’m not totally talking to myself (although that does happen quite a lot anyway).
    Mortgage 10/11/17: £120,995.00
Page 5
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Nov 18, 7:06 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 14,406 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Not a bad day but didn’t complete my list

The phone call to the bank took longer than expected but everything finally sorted
    Paid postage & posted DSis’s letters & package to HER friend
    Successful visit to sm - exchanged the wrong card without an envelope for the correct card with an envelope even got £1 back with which (as it was already accounted for as spent) I bought a scratch card - no joy Picked up magazines & kitchen roll for me + 2 jars of drinking chocolate for the Mission
    Sent the email but didn’t make the phone call - which will be bumped to Saturday
    Stripped DSis’s bed, washed bedding & a few items of clothing, everything tumble dried, bed remade, bit of rubbish picked up & folded clothes laid on bed will not be poking around
    Not on the list but done today - personal correspondence, competition entries done & some knitting.

Everything else is being bumped to tomorrow, so Saturday’s list
    Make phone call
    wash my bedding
    make soup
    sort freezer contents & update contents list
    Menu plan once freezers sorted
    Clean & sort fridge again
    Vacuum the whole house

Let’s hope I do better tomorrow

MrsSD
    • petersmith11
    • By petersmith11 10th Nov 18, 6:32 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    petersmith11
    I am a gaming writer so what I do is post daily something that will help the gaming community.

• tjp70
    • By tjp70 10th Nov 18, 10:24 AM
    • 411 Posts
    • 2,156 Thanks
    tjp70
    Morning all.

I've done the food shopping and the laundry this morning. I have an interview on Monday so I am now going to go and find the location. I always worry that I won't be able to find the place and be late for the interview. A drive by takes away some of my nerves!!

Ironing to do later whilst watching the Grand Prix qualifying. Hopefully I can talk DH into hoovering the stairs!! I hate that job.
    • Graciefields
    • By Graciefields 10th Nov 18, 2:39 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Graciefields
    Hi, have recently retired and am getting very lazy, you ladies have keen competition for Procrastinator of the year.
    So I will start small and do a few things today.

Clean the kitchen
    Put clothes away
    Make soup and veggie shepherd’s pie
    Walk the dog
    Brush the dog.

Hope you all have a good day.
    Barclay Card £4358
    HSBC CC £2864
    Total CC Debt £7755
    $7530
    November 2018 GC £25Pw/£100Pm
    Nov Grocery Challenge £83.56/£100
    • K80 Black
    • By K80 Black 10th Nov 18, 5:36 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    K80 Black
    Today me and the OH sorted out the mountain of recycling that had been forming in my kitchen. Tomorrow I simply must finish the job, wash up absolutely everything and get the kitchen in order again!
    • Graciefields
    • By Graciefields 11th Nov 18, 8:21 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Graciefields
    Well, that wasn't very productive but I did say that I was in competition for procrastinator of the year.
    I managed to tick two things off my list. Walk the dog and clean the kitchen.

So today I will re add my list minus cleaning the kitchen.
    I am playing golf this morning so my Mum and Dad are looking after the dog. I'm praying they will walk him so that I can cross that off my list when I get home.

Put clothes away
    Make soup and veggie shepherd’s pie
    Walk the dog
    Brush the dog.

Have a good day all.
    Barclay Card £4358
    HSBC CC £2864
    Total CC Debt £7755
    $7530
    • Highland Fling
    • By Highland Fling 11th Nov 18, 9:20 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    Highland Fling
    Good morning everyone
    I was just browsing through forums and discovered this thread. I wondered if I could join you all.
    I love making lists but I am becoming less successful at achieving my goals.
    I used to purposefully work my way through my list for the day but now I am so tired when I come home from work I am afraid weekends are the only time I really focus on my "to do" list.
    So my list for today is:
    empty waste bins and reline them.
    complete ironing I started yesterday.
    put things away in the hut that I have bought for the garden next year.
    seeing that I am out in the hut anyway I will weedkill the outside york stone langscaping (or at least part of it as it is rather a large area)
    I will also collect materials for and attempt to lag the outside garden tap in preparation for the severe winter we have been promised.
    I hope everyone has a fruitful day.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 11th Nov 18, 11:20 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 14,406 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Saturday’s list
    Make phone call - NOT DONE
    wash my bedding - DONE + Rotated mattress
    make soup - DONE
    sort freezer contents & update contents list - NOT DONE
    Menu plan once freezers sorted - NOT DONE
    Clean & sort fridge again - NOT DONE
    Vacuum the whole house - NOT DONE

Sunday I had no list , still didn’t do the NOT DONE tasks from Saturday but did do the following :-
    Scrubbed & polished kitchen sinks & drainer
    Read all my magazines & recycled them
    Did 2 loads of clothes washing, drying, folding & putting away
    Sorted all paperwork except one item
    Re-brined my home grown olives - have to wait 2 months for a taste test

Monday’s list

Take two bags of food & clothing donations to Whitechapel Mission
    Post birthday cards & competition entries
    Clean fridge
    Sort & list freezer contents
    Write menu plan
    Turn two sets of sofa cushions
    Vacuum whole house

Not doing too well but will try to get back on track

MrsSD
    • tjp70
    • By tjp70 12th Nov 18, 7:03 AM
    • 411 Posts
    • 2,156 Thanks
    tjp70
    Today's list:

Sort laundry and empty airing cupboard
    Change bed linen
    Ironing
    Reply to Facebook message re postage
    Interview

I'm pretty sure there's more to go on the list but that's all I can remember for now.
    • Graciefields
    • By Graciefields 12th Nov 18, 8:11 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Graciefields
    Good morning all

Didn't achieve too much yesterday but managed to tick a couple of things off my list.
    Managed to make the soup and brush the dog. My parents took him for a walk whilst I played golf.
    Today my poor boy is going to the vets for the snip. Whilst he’s there I plan to:

Clean out my now empty freezer
    Tidy dining room ( not used as dining room more as a dump everything room as I live alone with my dog)
    Make the shepherds pie
    Put my clothes away
    Clean the living room
    Take old £10 note to bank
    Try and get expired cheque re issued

Have a huge list but only posting a few as no point trying to overwhelm myself.

Have a great day everyone.
    Barclay Card £4358
    HSBC CC £2864
    Total CC Debt £7755
    $7530
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 12th Nov 18, 8:45 AM
    • 4,041 Posts
    • 54,494 Thanks
    monnagran
    And another week dawns!

Plans for today involve........

Signing a form and sending it off to the solicitor dealing with my imminent house move. Surely there can't be many more forms to sign.

Showing my bedroom a duster and vacuuming the floor.

Vacuuming the living room wooden floor in expectation of my new super dooper Viledo mop being delivered tomorrow. My steam cleaner blows all the electrics so back to person-power.

Making a batch of biscuits for those times when only a biscuit will fill the gap.

That will do for today.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 12th Nov 18, 10:57 AM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 14,406 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Have woken up feeling rather ‘grotty’ so may not get anything much done today but will try

MrsSD
    • Graciefields
    • By Graciefields 12th Nov 18, 5:47 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Graciefields
    Managed to get two things off the list done today but not much more due to poor dog being traumatised from being neutered. Poor boy.

So I sorted the expired cheque out which tried my patience but then again it was my own fault for letting it expire. I also cleaned the living room.

Will try and get some of the other stuff done tomorrow but depends on how poor doggie is doing.
    Barclay Card £4358
    HSBC CC £2864
    Total CC Debt £7755
    $7530
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 12th Nov 18, 8:43 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 14,406 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Monday’s list

Take two bags of food & clothing donations to Whitechapel Mission - DONE
    Post birthday cards & competition entries - DONE
    Clean fridge - DONE
    Write menu plan
    Turn two sets of sofa cushions - DONE
    Vacuum whole house

EXTRAS - Started cleaning new (to me) TV unit; visited M&S - managed to buy boots for DSis but not for me. Tried on bras - found the style I liked, worked out my size eventually but guess what, not a single bra in the style in the correct size So took down the details & will get DH to order online ; knitting; polished the silver plated note pad hinged cover (now in CS bag)

Tomorrow I am out for lunch with two former work colleagues who became friends - one male & one female. So Tuesday’s list is the things I haven’t done + one

Write menu plan
    Vacuum whole house
    Continue cleaning TV unit

MrsSD
    • tjp70
    • By tjp70 13th Nov 18, 6:56 AM
    • 411 Posts
    • 2,156 Thanks
    tjp70
    Morning.

I managed all but one item on my list. I didn't get chance to change my bed linen.

So jobs for today are:

Change bed linen
    Clean lounge
    Clean conservatory
    Do some ironing
    Parcel up eBay sale ready for posting tomorrow
    Go for a walk even if it's raining
    • JingsMyBucket
    • By JingsMyBucket 13th Nov 18, 7:29 AM
    • 324 Posts
    • 3,444 Thanks
    JingsMyBucket
    Do you mind if I join your little group please? Like Highland_Fling, I’ve been accomplishing less of my lists the last few years. I’m also self employed so it’s also quite possible for me to while away the hours with little to show for it sometimes. l’ll be back with a list in a bit.
    DEC 18 GC: €74.94/€350.00 // 4/12 NSD
    NOV 18 GC: €436.44/€300.00 // 13/12 NSD
    OCT 18 GC: €293.20/€300.00 // 13/12 NSD
    • JingsMyBucket
    • By JingsMyBucket 13th Nov 18, 10:55 AM
    • 324 Posts
    • 3,444 Thanks
    JingsMyBucket
    Okay, here's my list for today, in no particular order:

- put away at least one pile of clothes
    - do a load of laundry
    - finish a spreadsheet project for Client #1
    - create and assign tasks in Client #2's project
    - upload assets for Client #2
    - take a walk
    - do physio exercises
    - have afte work drinks with a friend
    - attend a webinar
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Nov 18, 3:03 PM
    • 4,041 Posts
    • 54,494 Thanks
    monnagran
    Did not manage to attack my bedroom yesterday so did that first thing this morning.

Today I have been clearing out a kitchen cupboard, innards already to be packed into a box.

My new, Vileda mop has arrived but I am putting off the pleasure of mopping floors with it until tomorrow. I can hardly bear the excitement.

The rest of the day will be knitting Christmas stockings. I promised a friend some for a Church Christmas Fair at the beginning of December so it's all systems go until then.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Nov 18, 8:01 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 14,406 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Lunch with male & female friend extended into evening with just my female friend - only got home half an hour ago So nothing done at all today EXCEPT posted birthday cards & letters, paid cheque into bank

Wednesday’s list

Write menu plan
    Vacuum whole house
    Continue cleaning TV unit

MrsSD
    Last edited by Mrs Salad Dodger; 14-11-2018 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Left out jobs
    • JingsMyBucket
    • By JingsMyBucket 13th Nov 18, 11:03 PM
    • 324 Posts
    • 3,444 Thanks
    JingsMyBucket
    I think I did pretty well today considering I mentally spaced out for a couple of hours and took a nap.

- put away at least one pile of clothes - DONE

- do a load of laundry - DONE

- finish a spreadsheet project for Client #1 - HALF DONE. I finished one section of it and will attack more of it tomorrow.

- create and assign tasks in Client #2's project

- upload assets for Client #2 - DONE

- take a walk

- do physio exercises - I just did them right now and holy crap, what a difference it makes. I know, I know. She would tell me all the time but each time I do them I'm reminded of how well they work, and they only take about 5 min.

- have after work drinks with a friend - Nope. I cancelled because my stomach was acting up, hence my taking a nap.

- attend a webinar - DONE

BONUS STUFF:

- transfer funds in order to pay lawyer

- reset my side table clock so I can stop using my phone for an alarm. This means I won't immediately look at phone when I get up and dilly dally about in the morning.

- packed my bag/purse for tomorrow so I don't get stressed in the morning when I'm trying to leave early for a doctor's appointment

- tracked my whole day of eating in MyFitnessPal. This was great to do again because I saw I actually *was* reaching some of my goals just intuitively.

I'm going to handwrite and brain dump my list for tomorrow before heading to bed.
    Last edited by JingsMyBucket; 13-11-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

846Posts Today

5,900Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today?s twitter poll: Do you believe BBC news reporting is biased on Brexit? In last week's poll, about left right? https://t.co/0I5nWrlfk1

• Oh the irony. Though to be fair to number 10, this probably sums up Brexit better than anything else I've seen... https://t.co/jfx47FUUYa

• That's almost exactly my journalistic philosophy. I never consider it a story if after checking it out I believe i? https://t.co/PxvHs456FC

• Follow Martin