Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robbsafc
    • By robbsafc 19th Nov 17, 11:06 AM
    • 71Posts
    • 14Thanks
    robbsafc
    ese Free Solar PV Health Check?
    • 19th Nov 17, 11:06 AM
    ese Free Solar PV Health Check? 19th Nov 17 at 11:06 AM
    I received a letter from a company called "ese" (Company Number 09825685) . They are supposedly offering a free solar health check and service on my system. I presume my details are on some database somewhere as I had solar panels installed in 2011. Having googled there is not a lot of information around regarding this company. I checked Companies House and they appear to be a consultancy firm.
    Has anyone encountered this? I am skeptical as to me there must be a catch somewhere to make it worthwhile for the company.

Rob
Page 3
    • Andy_WSM
    • By Andy_WSM 4th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    • 2,121 Posts
    • 4,540 Thanks
    Andy_WSM
    I had a "reminder" today to say that I hadn't had my free safety check. Its gone in the shredder, same place the last one went ready to be turned into briquettes. All adds to my winter fuel stock

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 5th Jul 18, 3:38 PM
    • 7,240 Posts
    • 11,696 Thanks
    Martyn1981

I was unable to trace any obvious help, so I turned to a company I found about 3 miles from my home. It is a small company; the owner came out to see me, examined the inverter and confirmed my diagnosis and told me to leave it with him.

About a fortnight later he contacted me. He'd been in touch with the wholesalers of the inverter and they had agreed to supply a new one. My original was outdated by several years. I waited for the "sucker punch" - all was well. He arrived with a colleague and they removed the old one and replaced it with the new one. He did make an installation charge of 20. That was for the labour of two men for 30 minutes and checking the whole thing was working. On being asked if it needed an annual service, he told me it did not. I should just keep an eye on outputs and have the panels cleaned if they fell significantly.
    The system has worked well ever since.
    I was very fortunate!
    Originally posted by ballardio
    Wow, that's good service. I can only assume that the manufacturers pay a fee to the installer to carry out the work, as that seems like a lot of effort for 20.

I had a PO (power optimiser) go on my system, and Solaredge arranged for an installer to come and fit a new one, for which they got paid.

Thanks for the info.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Artemisia
    • By Artemisia 10th Jul 18, 4:46 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Artemisia
    Accreditation
    Received my second letter from these opportunistic phishers today.
    Adding to the debate I would point out that the company ESE is not a registered installer with the MCS org. (Installation database), who by all accounts receive phone calls from the public about this company on a regular basis - maybe 5/6 calls daily.
    Also it really is a case of caveat emptor (buyer beware) should you choose to follow through on unsolicited mail that does not bear ANY accreditation logos at all, save their own 20 year warranty. Wonder who backs that one ?
    Remember, there is no such thing as a free lunch...
    • Zumerzet
    • By Zumerzet 18th Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zumerzet
    Unfortunately my 81 year old dad had this done today and ese charged him 2000 for this "checkup"!

Are they supposed to demonstrate energy figures before and after "optimisation" to prove they actually did something?

I'm very upset for him - do you know if there is any way to get his money back?
    • ESE Services Limited
      Verified User verified user
    • By ESE Services Limited Verified User verified user 23rd Jul 18, 5:38 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ESE Services Limited
    ESE Services Limited - Statement
    Since inception ESE Services Limited has grown significantly as a business, Our client base continues to grow through the recommendations made by our clients to their friends and family resulting in ESE Services Limited becoming one of the UK!!!8217;s leading provider of maintenance to the private residential solar market.

We have reacted to regulatory and policy changes and our market analysis highlighted a need to provide maintenance services to the residential solar market- filling a void that has been created through the renewable energy policy changes, specifically the solar PV sector. Many solar companies were unable to continue to trade following the tariff changes and in many areas, there is no longer a local service provider available

Our offering is open and transparent. We do not endorse nor condone aggressive and pushy sales tactics. Our field sales technicians may make recommendations on a case by case basis and clients make an informed decision based on the benefits of each new technology- presented from the manufacturers specifications. As such we are a re-seller and installer of industry products specifically designed for the residential solar market.

Our customer service is paramount to us as is our professional integrity. To ensure the highest standards of service and clients have an outstanding customer experience, we have recently invested in a new digital platform that ensures customers receive all documentation to make an informed decision and how to cancel should a client change their mind

Solar systems are an asset to each property and to each property owner. Unlike other household items, renewable technologies are unique in that they generate revenue. Our services ensure this revenue is protected and enhanced where possible. The service we provide gives our clients piece of mind they are getting maximum value out of their investment and asset.

Many clients who have subscribed to our solar maintenance plan have received a replacement inverter at no extra cost saving each customer the expensive cost of replacement and minimising any lengthy time periods of lost generation with replacement parts installed typically within 7 days of the fault arising.

We have a dedicated team of experts operating nationwide to assist any residential solar owner no matter what their issue- be it a pesky pigeon or broken panel each of our clients both new and existing will receive the same friendly and personal customer service

We look forward to engaging with more customers as we build our customer base. If you are an installer or homeowner, please feel free to contact myself or any member of the team if you have any questions or queries no matter how small.

Yours sincerely,

Gary Fredson
    Group Managing Director
    Last edited by ESE Services Limited; 23-07-2018 at 5:53 PM. Reason: spelling error
    • ESE Services Limited
    • By ESE Services Limited Verified User verified user 23rd Jul 18, 5:44 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ESE Services Limited
    ESE Services Limited
    HI Zumerzet

In order to understand if this is an issue relating directly to ESE Services Limited, Can i please ask if you email me with more specific details on - gary@eseservices.co.uk.

We have been made aware of copycat companies impersonating our business and would like to help where we can.

Regards

Gary Fredson
    Group MD
    Last edited by ESE Services Limited; 23-07-2018 at 5:45 PM. Reason: spelling error
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 25th Jul 18, 1:55 PM
    • 4,979 Posts
    • 20,022 Thanks
    Merlin139
    I received a letter from a company called "ese" (Company Number 09825685) . They are supposedly offering a free solar health check and service on my system. I presume my details are on some database somewhere as I had solar panels installed in 2011. Having googled there is not a lot of information around regarding this company. I checked Companies House and they appear to be a consultancy firm.
    Has anyone encountered this? I am skeptical as to me there must be a catch somewhere to make it worthwhile for the company.

Rob
    Originally posted by robbsafc
    Since inception ESE Services Limited has grown significantly as a business, Our client base continues to grow through the recommendations made by our clients to their friends and family resulting in ESE Services Limited becoming one of the UK!!!8217;s leading provider of maintenance to the private residential solar market.

We have reacted to regulatory and policy changes and our market analysis highlighted a need to provide maintenance services to the residential solar market- filling a void that has been created through the renewable energy policy changes, specifically the solar PV sector. Many solar companies were unable to continue to trade following the tariff changes and in many areas, there is no longer a local service provider available

Our offering is open and transparent. We do not endorse nor condone aggressive and pushy sales tactics. Our field sales technicians may make recommendations on a case by case basis and clients make an informed decision based on the benefits of each new technology- presented from the manufacturers specifications. As such we are a re-seller and installer of industry products specifically designed for the residential solar market.

Our customer service is paramount to us as is our professional integrity. To ensure the highest standards of service and clients have an outstanding customer experience, we have recently invested in a new digital platform that ensures customers receive all documentation to make an informed decision and how to cancel should a client change their mind

Solar systems are an asset to each property and to each property owner. Unlike other household items, renewable technologies are unique in that they generate revenue. Our services ensure this revenue is protected and enhanced where possible. The service we provide gives our clients piece of mind they are getting maximum value out of their investment and asset.

Many clients who have subscribed to our solar maintenance plan have received a replacement inverter at no extra cost saving each customer the expensive cost of replacement and minimising any lengthy time periods of lost generation with replacement parts installed typically within 7 days of the fault arising.

We have a dedicated team of experts operating nationwide to assist any residential solar owner no matter what their issue- be it a pesky pigeon or broken panel each of our clients both new and existing will receive the same friendly and personal customer service

We look forward to engaging with more customers as we build our customer base. If you are an installer or homeowner, please feel free to contact myself or any member of the team if you have any questions or queries no matter how small.

Yours sincerely,

Gary Fredson
    Group Managing Director
    Originally posted by ESE Services Limited
    So when this thread was started 19/11/2017 Gary Mark Fredson was listed as a director of Company Number 09825685

Is that the same Gary Fredson listed as Group Managing Director?

Am I also correct in believing that Company Number 09825685 Ese Consultants Limited and Company Number 09468098 ESE Services Limited became part of ESE Group Holdings Limited Company number 11036817

I think I am as all the information is freely available to look at Companies House.

So which company is this thread about? Or is it just one company with many names?
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
    • ESE Services Limited
    • By ESE Services Limited Verified User verified user 30th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ESE Services Limited
    Ese

Yours sincerely,

Gary Fredson
    Group Managing Director
    Originally posted by ESE Services Limited
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of ESE Services Limited. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    • Kimhaz
    • By Kimhaz 1st Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kimhaz
    I!!!8217;ve received the letter today. I rang the number and had a munchkin tell me repeatedly to hold the line because my call was important. I looked at the letter again to see it was addressed to the householder at my address. They are clearly using the edited electoral register to send out the letters. I have privacy on my phone, why can!!!8217;t I have the same with junk mail?
    Last edited by Kimhaz; 01-08-2018 at 5:13 PM. Reason: Apostrophes are wrongly annotated
    • Andy_WSM
    • By Andy_WSM 1st Aug 18, 5:27 PM
    • 2,121 Posts
    • 4,540 Thanks
    Andy_WSM
    I!!!8217;ve received the letter today. I rang the number and had a munchkin tell me repeatedly to hold the line because my call was important. I looked at the letter again to see it was addressed to the householder at my address. They are clearly using the edited electoral register to send out the letters. I have privacy on my phone, why can!!!8217;t I have the same with junk mail?
    Originally posted by Kimhaz

I would guess they are using Google Earth or similar to extrapolate addresses with Solar Panels as I am opted out of the edited register to avoid junk mail and still these chancers wrote to "the householder" at my address. The letters are nothing more than marketting but imply you haven't done something or have forgotten to do something important. I'm not a fan of these types of tactics, but I do appreciate the free paper they keep sending me to shred and turn into briquettes.

• jcontest
    • By jcontest 1st Aug 18, 10:19 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    jcontest
    There is a register of all homes that have solar panels, it is public (as long as we applied to receive the FIT).

I am not sure I have ever had what your getting, but I often get "We are buying installed solar systems in your area" type of letters.

Put it in the recycle bin and wait a few months before you get another one. Depending on your panel locations window cleaners can reach up with the telescopic stuff now to wash them off, but if you look at the testing done on these things you will find that really dirty panels take perhaps a 3-4% hit at max. My panels made me 1800 last year and I am not sure I want to pay a cleaner to knock them around just for an extra 70 if I am lucky.

I am possibly going to have mine tested around year 18 (as they are guaranteed to be > 80% @ 20) but I wont be doing it from a leafelet company.

4kw Inverters cost ~500 and I would personally be upset if someone tried to charge me more than 1,500 for a replacement. Overall this whole thing is a bad deal for most people and you should ignore it (just like most blind mailing junk).

I've received the letter today. I rang the number and had a munchkin tell me repeatedly to hold the line because my call was important. I looked at the letter again to see it was addressed to the householder at my address. They are clearly using the edited electoral register to send out the letters. I have privacy on my phone, why can't I have the same with junk mail?
    Originally posted by Kimhaz

"To the Householder"/"To the Occupier" spam mail is allowed as it is generic. The MPA cant stop these, and you having solar panels is consider public data not private, not to mention your home doesn't seem to get the same sort of DPA protection you get.

Even if these vile direct marketing people heard from you they wouldn't stop sending you things. That is one of the joys of a "Household/Occupier" name against an address.
    No MPS, no DPA, and the list can be sold and purchased freely on the open market.
    Last edited by jcontest; 01-08-2018 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Fixed other users Ipad " ' " Fails :P....
    • 65cosmos
    • By 65cosmos 2nd Aug 18, 4:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    65cosmos
    Make no mistake i had them round and it was a sales pitch for a service contract they wanted me to buy it is little more than cold calling to get there foot in the door no service was carried out except pushed buttons on the inverter and read the display also read a few peoples replys on this subject and it seems to me that all the people who have have signed up for this service have had inverters fail and have to be replaced not such a good service after all if they can be believed?
    • carollynch7
    • By carollynch7 6th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    carollynch7
    Scam
    "Engineer" embarked on a hard sell to the tune of 5000 to improve a system that is fine. They prey upon elderly people. An absolute disgrace. Managed to get the money paid refunded,but nothing can restore the self esteem of an old man who is so ashamed and embarrassed. This needs to be made illegal and stopped.
    • dixeybelle
    • By dixeybelle 7th Aug 18, 4:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dixeybelle
    Got the letter today. Checked with our insurer & we do have a valid 10yr insurance (6 yrs to go) & they are still in business so it is obviously a scam. Luckily we're not gullable enough to panic & keep good records. Letters now in the bin
    • ESE Services Limited
    • By ESE Services Limited Verified User verified user 10th Aug 18, 12:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ESE Services Limited
    ESE Services Limited
    Hi,

In relation to your post and to be clear, This is not a scam as you referred to.

ESE Consultants Limited send mail to solar PV consumers on the basis that your system may be 5 years old and in most cases this is the standard warranty on the system with the exception of the panels it is also estimated that 70% of the original installers from the peak of 2012 -2013 have ceased trading leaving a lot of consumers with no one to turn to for repairs. Consumers who follow up on the letter are validated by ESE Consultants Limited. Once established that your existing company is no longer trading or your system is out of warranty you can if you choose to do so take up one of the many different maintenance offers from ESE Services Limited through a referral from ESE Consultants Limited.
    ESE Services Limited pride itself on the service it provides and many of our customers remain extremely happy with the service we provide and to date have have replaced (at no additional cost) well in excess of 200 inverters this year alone. Claiming ESE Services Limited are a Scam is unfounded and defamatory and it would of been identified should you of called through in response to the letter through the stringent checks made that your warranty is still in place and we would of established that fortunately in your instance your installers are still in business.
    Regards
    Gary Fredson
    Group MD
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of ESE Services Limited. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    • gadgetoffradley
    • By gadgetoffradley 13th Aug 18, 6:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gadgetoffradley
    ESE Consultants fishing letter
    They are obviously still trawling as I had a letter today from Ese Consultants Ltd of Liverpool. Unsolicited marketing for something or other no doubt...off to shredder. My panels are still generating...very well in recent months ...it should be a bumper FIT payment quarter..
    • cokentizer
    • By cokentizer 16th Aug 18, 3:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cokentizer
    Just received a letter from ESE telling me "Dear Homeowner you haven't received your free health check and service and that the warrenty may be due to expire".... "Shock horror". So me being me I smelt a rat trying to sell me something. The forum on here confirms my thoughts.... My solar installation was done just 2 1/2yrs ago by "Fenland solar Ltd" so thought I'd contact the them. Sadly for me and I suspect many others "Fenland Solar Ltd" went into liqudation in January, so not much recourse there. So my original assumption is probably correct and "ESE" want to fill me with dread should something breakdown and sell me a warranty.... I've not had any issues with my installation or parts and hopefully won't do for many years to come. So for now ESE I'll take my chance and pass by on your kind offer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

2,513Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin