Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robbsafc
    • By robbsafc 19th Nov 17, 11:06 AM
    • 71Posts
    • 14Thanks
    robbsafc
    ese Free Solar PV Health Check?
    • 19th Nov 17, 11:06 AM
    ese Free Solar PV Health Check? 19th Nov 17 at 11:06 AM
    I received a letter from a company called "ese" (Company Number 09825685) . They are supposedly offering a free solar health check and service on my system. I presume my details are on some database somewhere as I had solar panels installed in 2011. Having googled there is not a lot of information around regarding this company. I checked Companies House and they appear to be a consultancy firm.
    Has anyone encountered this? I am skeptical as to me there must be a catch somewhere to make it worthwhile for the company.

Rob
Page 2
    • Phil Cautious
    • By Phil Cautious 21st Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Phil Cautious
    ESE letter offering free solar health check received. Checked with my installer and it was his second call of the day regarding this company. His advise, "Bin it". Checked the registered address on the letter and did a "Google drive by"...It's an accountant! Phoned the accountant today and asked to speak to an ESE representative. "No, they're not here, we're their accountants." Asked for ESE's address. "No, I can't give you that." I informed her that their address was not on the internet and I wanted to complain about their misleading "spam" letters.
    Incidentally, there are other, recently installed, solar systems belonging to a Housing Association nearby and they've had these letters as well. Does that sound like the actions of a bona fide company.
    • brownhandbag
    • By brownhandbag 21st Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 1,794 Posts
    • 29,247 Thanks
    brownhandbag
    just to add we have had a letter this week and are using it to light the fire with, thanks to previous posters x
    total wins 2013 5500 2014 7500 2015 23,900 2016 10,650 2017 13,040 2018 2256.70
    ITV Winners Club Member #131
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 21st Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 4,752 Posts
    • 19,293 Thanks
    Merlin139
    ESE letter offering free solar health check received. Checked with my installer and it was his second call of the day regarding this company. His advise, "Bin it". Checked the registered address on the letter and did a "Google drive by"...It's an accountant! Phoned the accountant today and asked to speak to an ESE representative. "No, they're not here, we're their accountants." Asked for ESE's address. "No, I can't give you that." I informed her that their address was not on the internet and I wanted to complain about their misleading "spam" letters.
    Incidentally, there are other, recently installed, solar systems belonging to a Housing Association nearby and they've had these letters as well. Does that sound like the actions of a bona fide company.
    Originally posted by Phil Cautious
    Try this number taken from the website. 0151 448 2860

http://eseservices.co.uk/
    • misslaurajaynejones
    • By misslaurajaynejones 22nd Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    misslaurajaynejones
    hi i have had my service from these guys i am with them for my maintenance cover i cant fault them one bit very professional never pushed anything on me.
    i had a fault with my inverter they came straight out and replaced my no extra cost
    really cant fault them highly recommend them to any one .
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 22nd Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 4,752 Posts
    • 19,293 Thanks
    Merlin139
    hi i have had my service from these guys i am with them for my maintenance cover i cant fault them one bit very professional never pushed anything on me.
    i had a fault with my inverter they came straight out and replaced my no extra cost
    really cant fault them highly recommend them to any one .
    Originally posted by misslaurajaynejones
    Pretty much a repeat of post 10!

Guess you have come back on to repeat what you said the first time!

Did they install your panels?

Did your installer go bust and you decided you needed to spend 19.99 a month for piece of mind?

So what is maintenance cover?

Explain how this company can service you Solar Panels?

So what did this service involve?

Go on do you work for these people?
    • stellac
    • By stellac 27th Mar 18, 5:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    stellac
    Query?
    Thanks for the info in your post but just wanted to check something as my installer is no longer doing installations... not sure of the ins and outs but the company is still operating, but they ceased that part of the business. I only found that out when I tried to obtain an user manual for the inverter and instructions on how to monitor it via my desktop.
    When I asked who do I contact in the vent of a problem arising, they told me I could just contact anyone in my area... ....is this correct?
    My query is did you mean that MCS appoints another company to take over the warranty, or should the original installer have done that.
    As part of the 'deal', I asked for an extended warranty on the panels and inverter to 20 years.
    In reality would another company have to honour such an agreement, as I see that the insurance warranty is only for 10 years.... Didn't notice that before now???
    If you can advise, that would be great.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 27th Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    Hengus
    Hi - welcome to the forum. If you have an insurance-backed Warranty, then the insurer carries the risk. You need to take a close look at the terms of your policy to see what is and what isn!!!8217;t included. In principle, you should be able to contact any MCS installer to carry out any repair work. You then claim the cost of the repairs back from the insurer.

The problem with all insurance backed warranties is that insurers will use every possible ploy to get out of paying. In your situation, if any part of my PV solar system failed then I would get three quotes for the necessary repairs and then speak to the insurer before agreeing to any work being carried out.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 28th Mar 18, 4:46 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    Hengus
    For those who are getting calls about their PV Solar, this is worth a read:

http://www.yougen.co.uk/blog-entry/3038/Solar+PV+Inverter'3A+Should+you+replace+it'3F/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Household%20%20Busi ness%20Newsletter%20March%202018&utm_content=House hold%20%20Business%20Newsletter%20March%202018+CID _0a5cd0fc10590e145868371049afb5d0&utm_source=Envir osend&utm_term=Solar%20PV%20Inverter%20Should%20yo u%20replace%20it
    • Kimhaz
    • By Kimhaz 5th Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kimhaz
    My letter is only addressed to the homeowner so it can only be a phishing exercise.
    • Greenmatt
    • By Greenmatt 12th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Greenmatt
    I just joined this forum to say thank you to the posters on this thread! I am glad you are here and sharing experiences.

We got such a letter today addressed to 'Homeowner'. I see from looking on the net that there are scams around involving the sale of unnecessary equipment.

There may be some data protection issue going on here as this company evidently obtained a list of addresses from someone.
    • RJPWilliams
    • By RJPWilliams 20th Apr 18, 8:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RJPWilliams
    Data Protection Issue
    I agree with Greenmat, is this not a data protection issue? We had PVs installed by Solar Sense, highly reputable, always winning awards. I contacted them last year about the inverter as it is now 8 years since the installation and there had been concerns in the press about inverters failing after a few years. They assured me that the type of inverter that they had installed at the time were performing well and that they thought it unlikely that it would fail. And then a letter from ESE...
    The data about who has solar PVs is easy to access as we are micro-generators and therefore registered as such. The new Data Protection legislation is very strict about who has access to data but the Data Protection Commissioners were not coping with the amount of data transgressions under the old act, it seems very unlikely that they are coping with this new act. Trading Standards? (not sure it's their bag). Anyone got the time and money to take out a private prosecution?
    • Ron-ski
    • By Ron-ski 10th May 18, 7:26 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Ron-ski
    I got a letter from hem today, I knew it was scam as my system has a 20 year warranty and my installer also mentioned in a couple of their recent newsletters that it was doing the rounds.

It seems they've improved the letter adding the company address and registered number, so I guess @misslaurajaynejones must work for them and is feeding back the criticisms.

Something else I noticed, I knew the look of the letter felt familiar, it closely resembles the look and feel of the SSE website and their literature - I may just have to inform them.

Edit: Just sent a copy to SSE.
    Edit 2 Found this whilst reading something totattly unrelated to this thread.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5711817/Homeowners-bombarded-junk-mail-Royal-Mail-sent-pamphlets-exploiting-data-protect-laws.html
    Last edited by Ron-ski; 10-05-2018 at 8:02 PM.
    • Suze288
    • By Suze288 12th May 18, 3:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Suze288
    We received one of these this week. A company that sends out letterheads, stating the company name as 'ESE Consultant's Ltd' is never going to convince me that they are bona fide.
    • Nanny85
    • By Nanny85 16th May 18, 2:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nanny85
    ESE Consultants
    I have just received a letter from ESE Consultants telling me that my warranty may be due to expire, that I haven't received my free health check and service. Being a suspicious old biddy and having kept all the paperwork regarding my solar panels which do not mention ESE Consultants anywhere I decided to investigate further before telephoning the free number. Looking at the address at the bottom of the letter I see that it is from ESE Consultant's Ltd. Being of that generation when we were taught when to use an apostrophe this made me even more suspicious so I looked the company up on the Companies House website. Over the past year or so they have had 5 resignations of directors. This does not fill me with trust for the sompany so I have decided to put my letter in the shredder. Hope this helps anyone else who is wondering what to do!
    • Baihaki
    • By Baihaki 21st May 18, 10:26 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Baihaki
    I received a similar letter to those described above a few days ago. Firstly I checked with Companies House, they seem to switch directors more often than most people change their socks. Secondly I checked all the past and present directors names on LinkedIn, none appeared, so I wonder what their technical qualifications are, if any.
    Thirdly, I am a chartered electrical engineer and my panels were fitted by a local company under my personal supervision, so I don!!!8217;t need them.
    Last edited by Baihaki; Today at 10:29 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,480Posts Today

8,459Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin