Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 17th Nov 17, 1:56 PM
    • 128Posts
    • 34Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    Add your feedback on energy supplier People's Energy
    • 17th Nov 17, 1:56 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier People's Energy 17th Nov 17 at 1:56 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

People's Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 7
    • olympusmegavolt
    • By olympusmegavolt 11th Oct 19, 4:43 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    olympusmegavolt
    First Class company
    Totally agree, an excellent supplier to deal with.
    I too have left because their 'zero exit fee' tariff was no longer competitive and I did not want to get locked into an 'exit fee' deal.
    What was highly commendable was that my final credit was refunded promptly and without having to ask.
    Would definitely use them again.
    Last edited by olympusmegavolt; 14-10-2019 at 11:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    • webbit
    • By webbit 12th Oct 19, 8:59 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    webbit
    direct debit
    what i dont like about energy companies is the control they have over your bank account, i hada horrendous time with ireasa and econmy energy, who doubled my DD despite being well in credit, and the only way to stop the increase was to cancel DD, people energy have actually listened they wanted an increase but I said I could not afford it and it was not implemented, they seem to have the customer care in mind, although can I suggest when there is an issue the customer representative takes the issue on until conclusion instead of sending of to someone else
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 12th Oct 19, 4:41 PM
    • 18,142 Posts
    • 40,500 Thanks
    Masomnia
    I switched to People's Energy from the abominable IRESA because I liked their stated aims and ethos and, although they weren't the cheapest supplier they were pretty competitive. I spend quite a bit on gas and electric. My thoughts so far are that they were initially very helpful when dealing with the abominable IRESA and their attempts to stop people from switching. I was impressed with all the people I dealt with at People's Energy who were very helpful and seemed enthusiastic about what they were doing. Their call centres seem to be in the UK which is also helpful as sometimes dealing with a language barrier on top of trying to sort out account issues can be difficult.

However, after six months I am having some issues. I've never had a reminder to submit meter readings or any kind of statement telling me my bill is available. When I realised this recently I logged in online to look at my bills there instead but I get a message there saying told I can't access any bills 'until my first bill cycle' - I have been with them months so there should be bills there. I have submitted meter readings when I've remembered but there doesn't seem to be any history of them. The woman I spoke to also seemed to think that I am not being supplied energy by them when I definitely am. A ticket has now been raised but I was given no idea when this might all be resolved and the customer services rep I spoke to this time seemed a lot less helpful.

So, all in all, a bit disappointing and I am thinking of leaving now because I can do without the hassle.
    Originally posted by CelticStar
    I'm having similar issues switching to them. I have two meters so submitted readings, and when I got my final bill from Eon one reading was customer submitted, and the other an estimate. The estimated one was way off and would have cost me a lot more. 6 months later there's still an ongoing dispute because PE won't accept the readings suggested by Eon despite me submitting them so they know how much I've used. Don't know whose fault it is now, but it seems to stem from them not accepting my reading in the first place.

When I go on the website there's no first bill but they're happy enough to take my DD!

They weren't quite the cheapest but I went with them because I like that it's 100% renewable. The 75% of profits thing is a bit of a gimmick imho. They made a loss of a few million quid last year so I won't be holding my breath for my share.
    ďI could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.Ē - P.G. Wodehouse
    • polysia
    • By polysia 12th Oct 19, 5:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    polysia
    what i dont like about energy companies is the control they have over your bank account, ...
    Originally posted by webbit
    Those who elect to pay their bills, whatever they are for, via direct debit are fully protected by the terms of the direct debit guarantee.

But if direct debit is not for you, then there are plenty of suppliers with tariffs that don't require you to pay that way.

But as far as energy suppliers go, you will probably pay more if you don't agree to pay by direct debit, and you probably won't get any cashback either.

But I am not going to attempt to seek to disagree with an MSE member who seems to have be a member of this site from almost the day it started. I 've only just joined, so probably have years of experience to gain yet.

But we have been paying our energy bills by direct debit for the last decade at least, and we were one of the latecomers to this type of payment scheme as far as paying for energy is concerned, and have never had any issues that could not quickly and easily be resolved. We had used direct debit as a payment method for other things years before that. e.g. our mortgage is paid by direct debit.
    Not had any issues there either that could not be quickly and easily resolved.

You should always be advised in advance of how much is to be collected, and when.
    Last edited by polysia; 12-10-2019 at 5:13 PM.
    • fhannah
    • By fhannah 14th Oct 19, 12:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    fhannah
    Great service, good communication and fair price
    Iíve been with this supplier for a year or so. Iím very happy with the service. I submit monthly readings and the communication and online account facilities are great. I had some questions which have always been answered quickly by email. No complaints. They have a newsletter to update re: profit sharing and still on track for 2020, though I donít know any more about this as a benefit, so wouldnít switch just based on this.
    Overall 4.5/5 from me!
    • mikejparks
    • By mikejparks 3rd Dec 19, 11:08 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mikejparks
    Poor comms...
    PE don't respond to either email, contact us submission, direct message to CEO or Facebook.
    Cheap but won't keep me on-board with their poor attitude.
    • slef2003
    • By slef2003 3rd Dec 19, 7:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    slef2003
    I have been with people's energy since September 2018. Meter readings are submitted on a monthly basis on my account with the bill being raised very shortly after. I am on the one-year fixed tariff and am very happy with the service to date.

I had an issue with the monthly bills, as I have severe arthritis in both knees and the electricity meter was located behind by fridge freezer in a small kitchen. It was an absolute pig to pull out the fridge freezer and snap a picture of the meter each time. I contacted people's energy and explained my situation and they responded by arranging for my meter to be moved to a more convenient position. I now am able to take a meter reading without moving the fridge freezer; they did not have to do this but this made me feel valued as a customer.

The biggest reason for me moving people's energy was there maximum differential in wages of 10 to 1. This does lead me to believe that they are ethical and I would much rather a company charged slightly more than the bottom rate, but provided a good service and more importantly, longevity. (I see that my previous electricity company eversmart have now gone by the wayside which does not surprise me at all)

I have no intention of moving companies at the present time as I am happy with the service provided to date. I do have to mention that the customer support staff I spoke to on the telephone could not have been more helpful with regard to my issue about reading the meter regularly. It really does make a change to talk to staff who appear genuinely keen to sort out an issue. The ones I spoke to were a credit to the company.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 4th Dec 19, 1:49 AM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 4,896 Thanks
    badmemory
    I had always been with a Big 6 supplier but finally got brave enough (I think it was Feb) to move away. So glad I did. I really like that, in response to their email, I can put my monthly reading in, wait an hour, then see my full bill. So much better than having to wait days & remember - see my username!
    Originally posted by badmemory

Really shouldn't quote yourself! But several months on & still have no issues at all. I have never actually needed to contact them directly as everything has gone as it should so why bother. Still like that my bill is there within the hour. I've never actually checked the minutes/seconds but it has got to be way better than the several days with a big 6 supplier, which was frankly a pain in the neck. I was never sure whether to close my spreadsheet down or leave it open so that I remembered.

Yes folks I am that anal. Life is easier now. Read meters, enter meter readings on website. Go to "fuel" spreadsheet. Enter readings & make sure the calculations are OK. Take a break, make a brew, check the website & the only issue ever is the calorific value of the gas. To be honest with the pennies difference this makes on even my bill (I do like it warm) it is a total waste of space. Maybe on an industrial site it may have a point but for domestic use it is just another thing which MOST people do a yerwhat over. I've had some massive swings in mine from 38.3 to 39.7 & it rarely makes more than a couple of p difference.
    • irishesman
    • By irishesman 22nd Dec 19, 9:09 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    irishesman
    Iíve made the switch from Orbit as they were wacking up my monthly dd.
    A question for you all. How long after signing up did you get account login details? All Iíve had so far in an email about confirming my dad is setup
    • martyp
    • By martyp 22nd Dec 19, 10:12 AM
    • 867 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    martyp
    A question for you all. How long after signing up did you get account login details? All Iíve had so far in an email about confirming my dad is setup
    Originally posted by irishesman
    I just checked my email timeline from when I joined them over a year ago and it was as follows:

28th November - direct debit setup notification
    4th December - welcome email
    20th December - email requesting 1st meter readings containing a link to set up my online account as the preferred method of doing so.
    I couldn't say for certain for your case though as they may be more busy or more efficient now being a fairly new company and making changes in their processes. It could be easier to give them a call or they have online chat now although I believe only work regular office hours.
    Hope that might help a bit. It'll also be dependent of course on how smooth the switch process is.
    • oisleep
    • By oisleep 5th Jan 20, 4:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    oisleep
    Misleading prices
    I've just registered to switch to them, but when I received the confirmation mail, the prices in the mail and related monthly direct debit were completely different to the amounts quoted in the MSE comparison page

It works out at around £150 more per year than I was lead to believe from the MSE (and U-switch) comparisons

Have mailed them to request the switch is cancelled - very misleading/poor
    • btr30
    • By btr30 6th Jan 20, 11:59 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    btr30
    I've just registered to switch to them, but when I received the confirmation mail, the prices in the mail and related monthly direct debit were completely different to the amounts quoted in the MSE comparison page

It works out at around £150 more per year than I was lead to believe from the MSE (and U-switch) comparisons

Have mailed them to request the switch is cancelled - very misleading/poor
    Originally posted by oisleep

Did you select the correct tariff?
    If you select the double advance DD, this has cheaper rates, which is what the comparison sites will have based your saving on. The other tariffs have different rates which would therefore increase monthly DDs.
    I am currently moving from Orbit to People's Energy and all going smoothly
    • JustWilliam2
    • By JustWilliam2 9th Jan 20, 9:44 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JustWilliam2
    1 Star Company
    I was with People's Energy for about 6 months, but gave up as they appeared to be incapable of running an efficient service. This is confirmed if you read the CEO's Mission Statement where he explains his 'laid-back' approach to life.
    • spyderfly
    • By spyderfly 13th Jan 20, 7:47 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    spyderfly
    No problems
    Just wanted to add a post to say that having been with Peoples Energy for 1 full year, I have had no problems and would be happy to recommend them.
    • ozaz
    • By ozaz 13th Jan 20, 9:12 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    ozaz
    I was with People's Energy for about 6 months, but gave up as they appeared to be incapable of running an efficient service. This is confirmed if you read the CEO's Mission Statement where he explains his 'laid-back' approach to life.
    Originally posted by JustWilliam2
    What do you mean by incapable of running an efficient service?
    Everything has been efficient for me.
    • reefer37
    • By reefer37 14th Jan 20, 3:08 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    reefer37
    in the process of joining so will see how it goes. so far so good.

joining on the 2 month up front tariff as very competitively priced.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 15th Jan 20, 1:18 AM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 4,896 Thanks
    badmemory
    Well last posted on this early Dec. My fix finishes mid Feb. Already gone for my new fix which is cheaper than the last. It is the 2 month up front, however because I did that last year I don't need to do it again. So a win! I suspect that the 2 month up front is what keeps them only adding new customers slowly, it stops them being overloaded.
    • Blackdog
    • By Blackdog 18th Jan 20, 12:06 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Blackdog
    Trying to decide between this company and Gulf, both are small companies but as we know Gulf are part of the big US company. Have People's Energy started rolling out smart meters yet?
    • barwuf
    • By barwuf 22nd Jan 20, 7:10 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    barwuf
    I'm just coming up to the end of my 12-month contract with PE. The switch was smooth, the bills are simple and clear, and my initial fear of a language problem (they're based in Scotland you know) proved unfounded. They haven't bombarded me with condescending energy-saving claptrap. Go for it!
    • Highland76
    • By Highland76 22nd Jan 20, 8:51 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Highland76
    Trying to decide between this company and Gulf, both are small companies but as we know Gulf are part of the big US company. Have People's Energy started rolling out smart meters yet?
    Originally posted by Blackdog
    Their lack of interest in smart meters (SMETS2) was one of the main reasons I left them last year and TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if the situation was still the same. Since joining E.ON, I've managed to get SMETS2 meters fitted, with the icing on the cake being lower energy prices versus People's Energy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,304Posts Today

6,786Users online

Martin's Twitter