Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 17th Nov 17, 1:56 PM
    • 97Posts
    • 29Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    Add your feedback on energy supplier People's Energy
    • 17th Nov 17, 1:56 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier People's Energy 17th Nov 17 at 1:56 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

People's Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 4
    • Apache1
    • By Apache1 4th Jan 19, 1:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Apache1
    Tariff increase?
    Is there any interest from People's Energy in replying to their customers?
    • blueincubus
    • By blueincubus 4th Jan 19, 4:41 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    blueincubus
    I got an email from them today - they are indeed increasing their prices as of 3rd Feb - by 12.8% in my area.
    • ozaz
    • By ozaz 4th Jan 19, 5:30 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    ozaz
    Also received email.

But still one of the cheapest renewable energy suppliers - now cost is about level with Bulb, Pure Planet, and So Energy for me (according to MSE Cheap Energy Club)
    • martyp
    • By martyp 4th Jan 19, 5:39 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    martyp
    Has PE recently increased their prices to new customers and when will that increase apply to existing customer?
    Originally posted by Apache1

I called them about this yesterday (also started another thread related to this). MSE Energy Club only lists the new Q1 2019 tariff for me but when I called and spoke to them they told me that tariff is only for new customers and that there weren't any price increases for the August and December 2018 tariffs that they knew of. Although it sounds like people are today receiving e-mails...

My consideration is that People's Energy would be £607 for me with my current tariff, the Q1 2019 one would be £660 (beaten by a few other tariffs out there. There's the promise of 75% profits back in 2020 after being with them for a year although I could pay £550 with Utility Point on a 1 year fix...
    • HUMBUG
    • By HUMBUG 4th Jan 19, 11:35 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    HUMBUG
    Great question. That's great news to hear you saved £381 with us and we're delighted to have you be part of the People's Energy family.

We are delighted to confirm we will not be increasing our prices in the next month or so . In our first year of business we reduced our prices twice and have only increased them once since then due to the unsustainable wholesale price increase in the market. Our team will always put our members over profit so where we can we'll help people save money rather than pay more.
    Originally posted by PeoplesEnergy
    Hmmm. Not exactly very ethical to have representatives of PeoplesEnergy implying that there will be no price increase in the next month or so . Strictly , there will be no price increases for a month or so but now you are increasing prices by over 12% (ie. 2 months after joining you).

Seems to me this is another little energy company 'con job' .

Time to move suppliers again for me and my parents (sigh!)
    • HUMBUG
    • By HUMBUG 5th Jan 19, 3:04 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    HUMBUG
    Emails have been sent to my father and myself showing the new tariff increases and the new projected annual costs .
    The only problem is they have included my father's 'new projected costs' in MY email and sent MY 'new projected costs' in my father's email . They have mixed up our accounts .

Further, I've checked the online statements for both my father and myself and they have NOT included direct debit payments for the months Dec 18 and Jan 19 . The carried forward balances are all incorrect

(God forbid we have another NPOWER type useless energy company).

So far, this company looks like they have systems/processes that are not yet automated with accounts/emails obviously being driven by manual steps. Doesn't actually provide me with any confidence so I think I will move asap.

New customers beware that this might be another company that is not fit to have a license to be an energy supplier.
    • martyp
    • By martyp 5th Jan 19, 4:57 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    martyp
    I reckon they've probably taken on a fair number of disgruntled Outfox customers in the last month as the next cheapest option, for 100% renewable at least. Not to mention also the appeal of the 75% of profits being returned. It's going to be a bit of a gamble I think as the profit returns are 2020 after being there for at least a year and so much of an unknown so you never know if that proposed benefit is worth waiting for against any potential price increases until that point...
    I think they're having the same struggles as the other small suppliers I've been with the last couple of years. Same kind of set up, a small UK based operation in one location (e.g. Iresa in Nottingham, Outfox in Leicester etc.) and the costs are kept lower at the potentially reduced level of customer service and technical correctness. I did only have to wait about a minute or so to get through on the phone and e-mails so far have been responded to generally after a day or so.
    It is a bit of a shame they're not as responsive on this forum as they used to be. I have only been a customer for a couple of weeks although the initial account setup and everything seems to ok so far...
    • Apache1
    • By Apache1 9th Jan 19, 4:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Apache1
    Just had an incorrect email advising me of a price increase taking effect 3 Feb. I contacted CS who advised that different areas are having the price rise at different times and my area is not due yet. I had already switched out. Unfortunately, I cannot see PE surviving much longer.
    • lynchnigel
    • By lynchnigel 13th Jan 19, 11:49 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lynchnigel
    Vat
    I wondered why peoples Energy show their rates to domestic customers in their portal EX VAT when every one (domestic) has to pay VAT and you can't make a fair comparison?
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 13th Jan 19, 11:56 AM
    • 849 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    wavelets
    I wondered why peoples Energy show their rates to domestic customers in their portal EX VAT when every one (domestic) has to pay VAT and you can't make a fair comparison?
    Originally posted by lynchnigel
    Not sure what you mean

I found their tariff details on their website here
    https://peoplesenergy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Tariff-Pricing.pdf
    Prices are shown inclusive of VAT

If you are a customer and looking at your online account, then presumably (I don't know for sure as I am not a customer) they show you the cost exclusive of VAT as that is how your bill/ststement will be produced ... with VAT shown seperately, as per HMRC requirements.
    Last edited by wavelets; 13-01-2019 at 12:00 PM.
    • gribbon
    • By gribbon 14th Jan 19, 11:48 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    gribbon
    Signed up on 3/12 - received initial emails, direct debit set up and first reading sent straight away.

Sent email on 24/12 with questions; follow up sent 11/01 - still no reply to either.

In the meantime I contacted my old supplier (igloo) who responded the same day; and said that peoplesenergy still haven’t sent them my readings (6 weeks on).

Really disappointed with customer service here. Seemingly a lack of response on here as well. Will be moving on once the switch completes.
    • shannonr01
    • By shannonr01 15th Jan 19, 9:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    shannonr01
    Not happy at all
    Have just called to ask why out of the blue my bill has DOUBLED (email just told me I was using more energy so charge was increasing & DD was changing - no other details or explanation) and was told that I had run up a £300 debt and the extra was to pay this off. What an incredibly stupid way to deal with customers - no mention in my emails of the debt, or that the price change was temporary (I assume), or why after 4 years of paying different providers about £75/month all of a sudden this lot need £110 (according to them my actual usage). The lady I talked to was obviously pretty mortified and I think they're getting flack for this as I speak, she was as helpful and courteous as she could be, but someone in this organisation needs to think very hard about their position. I'm totally in favour of ethical companies but this experience will put people off - so that's doubly appalling.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,211Posts Today

8,887Users online

Martin's Twitter