Pure Planet reviews: add your feedback

Comments

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Interested in joining Blue Planet.
    Can't find any phone number for them at all.
    Do they charge extra for IGT gas connections?
    Is the rep still replying? Thanks.
  • PurePlanet
    PurePlanet Posts: 199 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 June 2018 at 9:11AM
    fred246 wrote: »
    Interested in joining Blue Planet.
    Can't find any phone number for them at all.
    Do they charge extra for IGT gas connections?
    Is the rep still replying? Thanks.

Hi Fred246
    Great to hear that you're interested in joining us! :j
    We don't have an inbound call centre. It helps us keep costs down - which is passed on to our members - and we know nobody likes to spend ages on hold.
    Members manage their accounts via our app, which can also be used to send a message to the members services team if you ever have account-specific questions.
    IGT gas connections are fine. No extra charge :D

Marc @Pure Planet
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of Pure Planet. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
  • Hi Pure Planet,

When are you supplying smart meters.
  • PurePlanet
    Hi Pure Planet,

When are you supplying smart meters.

Hi JasonRyan20

We're not supplying smart meters right now. The current meters (called SMETS1) aren't all that smart, as they only work with the supplier that installs them. We'll be issuing our members with the next generation (called SMETS2) - these are currently being trialled around the UK and we're looking to start testing them at the end of the year, before issuing them (for free) in 2019.
    What is emerging from the SMETS2 trials is that the initial testing and preparation for mass production is proving more complex and time-consuming that previously expected, and so availability of meters has been delayed.
    We don’t believe that Pure Planet members want to be issued with smart meters that are not yet ready to work as intended.

Hope that explains it! :)
    There's a bit more detail in this thread on our community (if MoneySavingExpert forum doesn't mind me linking out to it) which you may find useful too.

Marc @ Pure Planet
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of Pure Planet. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
  • Review.
    I'm not normally moved to review stuff but I think this is quite a good deal so here you are.
    I switched mid-November 2017 after a variety of green fixed tariffs with Ovo then Octopus. Took the view that Pure Planet's approach of essentially cost-price energy plus membership fee/standing charge would be cheaper than speculating on fixed rates.
    Context:
    1) we use a lot of energy - circa £1000 per year of gas and same again for electricity.
    2) I use the app on an iPhone, not tried android etc.

Cost: As a high volume user, this has been a very cheap deal and I find the 100% renewable electricity and 100% carbon offset gas an added draw. MSE's Cheapenergyclub has struggled to find any deals cheaper since we joined Pure Planet and the few that have were circa £50-75 pa cheaper from small providers, 1yr fixed rate and not green tariffs.
    Switch: Painless.
    App: works fine for me in iOS, not as nice as, for instance, Ovo's polished web interface when combined with their smart meter for anlysing energy use.
    Statements: emailed monthly, clear.
    Experience: Irritating to have to do monthly meter reads after some time with a smart meter but the app makes it easy. Switching the phone's torch on within the app to illuminate the meter is a nice touch. The standing charge or 'membership fee' was reduced from £10 to £8.50 a few months ago which was welcome.

I think this is an excellent provider especially for high volume users who are not fazed by the app-only approach.
  • PurePlanet
    Review.
    I'm not normally moved to review stuff but I think this is quite a good deal so here you are.
    I switched mid-November 2017 after a variety of green fixed tariffs with Ovo then Octopus. Took the view that Pure Planet's approach of essentially cost-price energy plus membership fee/standing charge would be cheaper than speculating on fixed rates.
    Context:
    1) we use a lot of energy - circa £1000 per year of gas and same again for electricity.
    2) I use the app on an iPhone, not tried android etc.

Cost: As a high volume user, this has been a very cheap deal and I find the 100% renewable electricity and 100% carbon offset gas an added draw. MSE's Cheapenergyclub has struggled to find any deals cheaper since we joined Pure Planet and the few that have were circa £50-75 pa cheaper from small providers, 1yr fixed rate and not green tariffs.
    Switch: Painless.
    App: works fine for me in iOS, not as nice as, for instance, Ovo's polished web interface when combined with their smart meter for anlysing energy use.
    Statements: emailed monthly, clear.
    Experience: Irritating to have to do monthly meter reads after some time with a smart meter but the app makes it easy. Switching the phone's torch on within the app to illuminate the meter is a nice touch. The standing charge or 'membership fee' was reduced from £10 to £8.50 a few months ago which was welcome.

I think this is an excellent provider especially for high volume users who are not fazed by the app-only approach.

Thank you for this great review Muddy Fun!
    Glad to hear that everything has been smooth, and that you're enjoying the low costs, the renewable energy, and the app experience.
    Really appreciate you taking the time to post this :j

Marc @ Pure Planet.
    Verified Company
  • stoopy
    stoopy Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have just switched via the cheap energy club so will update in a few weeks. But here is my referral code if anyone else thinking of joining.

Oh, I’m not allowed to post with links....
    Grocery Challenge Jul £380.75 Aug £637 Sep £539.82 Oct £53.43 / £475
    EF 3-6 challenge #104 £739.25/£10000
    MFW2018 #183 0/£2000
  • PurePlanet
    stoopy wrote: »
    I have just switched via the cheap energy club so will update in a few weeks. But here is my referral code if anyone else thinking of joining.

Oh, I’m not allowed to post with links....

Hi Stoopy

Social media is a good place to share your refer a friend code. People have got their friends/family to sign up via Facebook and Twitter.
    If you don't use those, emailing people you know works.

Have a great weekend! :)

Marc @ Pure Planet
    Verified Company
  • stoopy
    stoopy Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks, have added it to Facebook too.

I understand the principle of different direct debit in summer and winter, but does make it harder to budget, why not just average it out?
    Grocery Challenge Jul £380.75 Aug £637 Sep £539.82 Oct £53.43 / £475
    EF 3-6 challenge #104 £739.25/£10000
    MFW2018 #183 0/£2000
  • PurePlanet
    stoopy wrote: »
    Thanks, have added it to Facebook too.

I understand the principle of different direct debit in summer and winter, but does make it harder to budget, why not just average it out?

Hi
    We buy our energy for Members in advance, so this helps us to be more accurate, and keep prices down.
    We are in the future going to give Members the ability to change the amount they pay by DD, on a monthly basis - via the app - but this will be within parameters based on energy usage (basically to prevent someone who is a high user from lowering their DD so that they run into debt, or for a low user to build up a massive amount of credit).

Hope that helps

Marc @ Pure Planet
    Verified Company
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback