Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ricky101
    • By ricky101 15th Nov 17, 5:03 PM
    • 62Posts
    • 5Thanks
    ricky101
    Trusteer Rapport
    • 15th Nov 17, 5:03 PM
    Trusteer Rapport 15th Nov 17 at 5:03 PM
    Hi,

My bank in its Security section shows -
    "Ways to keep yourself safe.......
    Install Trusteer Rapport" followed by a link and explanation.

It does not state we have to use it.

Since recently upgrading to W10 found that TR simply does not work and are waiting for TR to come back with some suggestions to make it work.

However even if they get it working, as soon as Chrome or Firefox upgrade their browsers, you find TR does not work, sometime taking over a month before they fix it.

While I do like the principle of how TR works adding an extra layer of security, seems its a rather flawed product if they cannot update it properly.

Our concerns are what happens if some problem/fraud happens on our bank account and they say we did not use TR, can that cause us a problem ?

Believe some uk banks do insist you use TR, so wonder how their customers manage to run it all the time ?
Page 2
    • PlumbingTheDepths
    • By PlumbingTheDepths 20th Dec 17, 12:05 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    PlumbingTheDepths
    I've never installed it, due to all of the issues I've read about. However, as an earlier posted suggested, I have always wondered whether the bank might try to use that as an excuse to not cover any claim for loss.

I wonder if anybody has ever heard of a bank doing that.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 20th Dec 17, 2:46 AM
    • 2,278 Posts
    • 3,086 Thanks
    Robisere
    I have not used this spectacularly incompetent piece of garbage for over 5 years. Ever since I installed Kaspersky Total Security, I have used Kaspersky Safe Money to create a Protected Browser in Firefox, for all financial dealings. I can choose which websites I want to run in Safe Money, although the programme recoginises any such site when I access it and offers to run it.

There is a cut-down Kaspersky effort run by some banks, but it is a weedy effort beside the real thing and has caused problems.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 20th Dec 17, 9:30 AM
    • 4,882 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I actually contacted IBM Tech support for this piece of unreliable s/ware when I was having problems with it back in mid November.
    Nothing was forthcoming til yesterday, when I received a very complicated message about how to try to solve the issues - closely followed by a customer service survey!! You may imagine how I rated the "service" when it took over a month to respond
    It is still running in Firefox 57.0.2 as I type!
    • rpip
    • By rpip 7th Jan 18, 11:58 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    rpip
    I continue to have problems with Rapport (not currently working on this forum). Nationwide say they get many complementary comments and I am the only one to complain! I have got used to the usual (garbage) solution IBM tell me after up to 1 month, so I do this now without asking. After a few weeks, I swap browsers and repeat again. But this time Rapport has become more unreliable and their (grey) icon drop-down menu is now a B&W square which no longer allows the user to select “protect this site”!! I am pasting my complaint of yesterday and will keep you informed of their reply – so stop all banking activities for up to 1 month!
    “I have W10 Edge & Firefox v 57.0.4 (updated). I uninstalled Rapport, including my user settings, because bank sites were inconsistently indicated as protected. I ran Disc CleanUp, cleared history from both browsers and SuperAntiSpyware. Then restarted my PC .
    I downloaded your Windows installer and ran this. On my second attempt I started Rapport and enabled same in Firefox Addons (I also use Adblocker Plus). Via your console I selected to show the icon in the browser. This is grey except on the few occasions a site is “protected”. Rapport protection continues to show as “unprotected” - now a square dialog box with “!” not a blue rectangle as previously. The box no longer has a facility to select “protect this site”. If I press PrtSc on an unprotected site I am not given an option Block or Allow. This is continuously the case in Edge.
    I was having similar problems with Chrome before I replaced this with Firefox. Please advise:
    1. Rectification
    2. How to add individual sites to your White List.”
    Re item 2: They could have a similar manual facility as ABP to add to whitelist manually.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 7th Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    RG2015
    I have Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Opera and if Trusteer Rapport stops working on one I switch to a different browser for my banking.

A few weeks back, Rapport stopped working on Chrome so I moved to IE11. Yesterday I had a Windows update and following this IE11 wouldn’t even open. About the same time I got a pop up to re-install the Rapport extension on Chrome which I did. Now Chrome is the only browser I have that supports Rapport.

The support from the banks, IBM and Trusteer is appalling and varies from abject ignorance to condescending indifference. As long as I can get it to work for me I am fine and certainly wouldn’t waste any more of my time on this.
    Last edited by RG2015; 07-01-2018 at 2:55 PM.
    • MarkFromCornwall
    • By MarkFromCornwall 7th Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    MarkFromCornwall
    I continue to have problems with Rapport (not currently working on this forum). Nationwide say they get many complementary comments and I am the only one to complain!
    Originally posted by rpip
    Sorry, I don't have any constructive suggestions but you aren't alone. It rarely works. It slows the computer down a lot. The support is poor. I have been forced to accept that I just keep downloading the updates and, almost randomly, it sometimes works for a few weeks. As far as I can tell most operating system updates and browser updates stop it working and then it takes a few weeks for IBM to update it.
    It's not my fault that nothing works: the bank suggested I install Trusteer Rapport.
    • Jackthedog
    • By Jackthedog 7th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Jackthedog
    How is it with Apple O/S?
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 7th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    I used it on the Mac for a while. It was awful. It slowed all growing down to a level that was unusable, so I uninstalled it. Wouldn't touch it again.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
    • No_6
    • By No_6 7th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    No_6
    @ RG....

me thinks you have be done ?
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Jan 18, 8:35 AM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    RG2015
    @ RG....

me thinks you have be done ?
    Originally posted by No_6
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand your comment. Would you care to explain for a bear of very little brain?
    • fluffig
    • By fluffig 8th Jan 18, 9:05 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    fluffig
    Sorry, I don't have any constructive suggestions but you aren't alone. It rarely works. It slows the computer down a lot. The support is poor. I have been forced to accept that I just keep downloading the updates and, almost randomly, it sometimes works for a few weeks. As far as I can tell most operating system updates and browser updates stop it working and then it takes a few weeks for IBM to update it.
    Originally posted by MarkFromCornwall
    *sighs* Yes. ^^^ This. It sort of limps on here - occasionally working - in various browsers ...
    • lelboy999
    • By lelboy999 22nd Apr 18, 8:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lelboy999
    Rapport...
    Rapport is NOT a requirement by any bank - despite some implying that you have to use it.
    One thing that no one seems to have mentioned is that you give "Rapport" permission to check ALL of your visited websites if "they" feel there might be an issue (whatever that might mean!). I used it once, and it was the devil's own job to remove it! I suggest to ANY potential user, that you don't: just make sure that you follow a security regime - that we all should be familiar with , by now!
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 22nd Apr 18, 10:21 PM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    This software gets itself stuck in a loop in my experience where it constantly claims it's disabled (in Firefox, Chrome or whatever) despite the fact I can see the icon in an enabled state and enabled from its control panel. But despite all this, its insistent it is disabled in the current browser no matter how often it was removed and reinstalled.

So in the end I solved the problem - primarily by getting shot of the damn thing.
    • TriathNanEilean
    • By TriathNanEilean 24th Apr 18, 2:47 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    TriathNanEilean
    Reading this thread jogged my memory - have been having slowness with my browser for a month or so and couldn't identify what I'd installed that might be a cause. Until I thought just now that TR might be a candidate (had reinstalled it recently).

But having uninstalled it a few times in the past, this time it hasn't proved so easy. Got redirected to an IBM web page after the uninstall failed:

Rapport includes anti-removal protection to prevent malware from removing it from your computer. This is the reason for the complex uninstall process. In some rare scenarios the uninstaller is unable to shut down the anti-removal protection and as a result fails to remove Rapport.

What's Next?

We have a special utility that safely removes Rapport from your computer - for downloading the utility, please fill out the following form. You will automatically receive an email with the download link for the utility.
    *sigh*

[edit: at least that utility seems to have removed it]
    Last edited by TriathNanEilean; 24-04-2018 at 3:05 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

581Posts Today

5,960Users online

Martin's Twitter