Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lesley6166a
    • By lesley6166a 14th Nov 17, 2:53 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 4Thanks
    lesley6166a
    Depression
    • 14th Nov 17, 2:53 PM
    Depression 14th Nov 17 at 2:53 PM
    Hi Wondering if anyone can help - I have had depression for 20+ years and am taking regular medication for it - but really suffering at the moment, Im making sure I have fresh air - but going through the build a den and hibernate stage! Im single 46 no kids and no partner (No sympathy needed) and struggle financially so unable to join a gym or health club - but go swimming once a week. Any tips please as I go through this stage (Cant get to doc till 30th) xx
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 14th Nov 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 14th Nov 17, 2:59 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 2:59 PM
    Are you always worse in winter, have you tried a Vit D supplement? Do you think the medication helps?

If you feel that you need help urgently then you can ask your GP for an emergency appt, or for them to call you if you cannot attend.
    • SuperPikachu
    • By SuperPikachu 14th Nov 17, 3:04 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    SuperPikachu
    • 14th Nov 17, 3:04 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 3:04 PM
    I'm struggling at the moment too with life lately. My girlfriends cousin committed suicide last month out of the blue and it has really affected us. I've probably been struggling with depression a good 15years or so by now.

I'm getting fed up of feeling rubbish at the moment so attempting a few things -
    Exercise each night
    Eating more fruit & veg
    Trying to be a bit more social

You don't need a gym to work out - Burpees/press ups/mountain climbers are all great on the floor
    • lesley6166a
    • By lesley6166a 14th Nov 17, 3:26 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    lesley6166a
    • 14th Nov 17, 3:26 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 3:26 PM
    I am worse this year as it has dawned on me ill never be a mum - which I have always wanted to be - spent my 30's trying to get up the career ladder only to lose it in 2010 and start again - so never met a man and at 46 its too late - I've tried dating website but being an ahem 'larger lady' ive not the confidence and not the money to be splashing around. I go home and apart from a demanded moggy don't see or speak to another person for 14 odd hours !
    • Saffythecat
    • By Saffythecat 14th Nov 17, 9:52 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Saffythecat
    • 14th Nov 17, 9:52 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 9:52 PM
    I really struggle at this time of year too, so sympathise. I!!!8217;m not sure this is helpful if you live alone and feel that not having company is an issue, but I find giving in to the urge to hibernate can sometimes really benefit me. I schedule in !!!8220;pyjama days!!!8221; or even !!!8220;pyjama weekends!!!8221; when I stock up on trashy magazines, take long baths, watch a load of comforting TV (I am enjoying the Christmas movie channels just now!) and eat treaty food. I live with my partner though, so don!!!8217;t have the situation of not seeing anyone. On the flip side to that, I find not seeing much daylight can be hard so making an effort to get out for a walk on the weekends can also be useful. So, I guess for me it!!!8217;s just being in tune with what it is I actually need.

I hope you find something that helps, depression is really tough.
    • 166million
    • By 166million 14th Nov 17, 11:32 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 5,060 Thanks
    166million
    • 14th Nov 17, 11:32 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 11:32 PM
    Definitely try and get as much daylight as possible. I havent been following any of this advice but I!!!8217;m sure it makes a difference
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
    • emilybc
    • By emilybc 15th Nov 17, 6:44 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    emilybc
    • 15th Nov 17, 6:44 AM
    • 15th Nov 17, 6:44 AM
    You could try some guided depression meditation too on YouTube. That can reduce the immediate feeling and put things into perspective a little bit. Good luck with it x x
    • Skyler34
    • By Skyler34 22nd Nov 17, 5:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Skyler34
    • 22nd Nov 17, 5:39 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 5:39 PM
    I would advise you to do more physical exercise at home
    Eat healthy
    Take natural sedatives like calmax
    And try to have enough sleep.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 23rd Nov 17, 8:37 AM
    • 16,013 Posts
    • 12,064 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 23rd Nov 17, 8:37 AM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 8:37 AM
    Try and find friends to go walking with. If you have someone else relying on you you are less likely to say !!!8220;I can!!!8217;t be bothered!!!8221;
    Last edited by hollydays; 23-11-2017 at 8:59 AM.
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 23rd Nov 17, 8:57 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    Litchielou
    Daylight bulbs can also help if you are suffering from SAD, place around your home.
    For external activities look if there are any free clubs on-line eg walking, WI etc.
    Take care x
    • Jeniffer08
    • By Jeniffer08 28th Nov 17, 2:37 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jeniffer08
    Thanks for sharing
    • Helen323433
    • By Helen323433 23rd Feb 18, 1:56 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Helen323433
    Similar products often cause addiction and while solving one problem, cause others. CalMax gently helps as it only contains natural ingredients that make your body use its own resources to fight depression. The product activates the production of energy and almost works from the first use. This product really helped me and after taking the whole course, I felt much better
    • pandora205
    • By pandora205 23rd Feb 18, 4:45 AM
    • 2,804 Posts
    • 2,648 Thanks
    pandora205
    Lots of GPs do exercise referrals to gyms so it might be worth checking if yours does.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
    • Katapolt
    • By Katapolt 23rd Feb 18, 9:26 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Katapolt
    100% try the exercise referral route. its a 12 week course, funded by the government and your trainer will go through things to help you feel better about yourself, and try to improve your confidence in the meantime. its also just nice sometimes knowing that every week youll see someone, like a little chat and a catch up.

also if you think you can, give mindfulness a go. i found Ruby Wax's Mindfulness for the Frazzled mind really good, shes relateable and funny, so it doesnt seem preachy. Honestly though, a lot of it comes down to acknowledging you feel pants, and being kind to yourself about it. tell yourself "i dont feel great, and thats ok, i dont have to~" and (personally i find) it takes a weight off straight away.
    FTB 2017
    Currently dealing with a Quarter Life Crisis
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 23rd Feb 18, 10:46 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    mollycat
    As post #7, lots of relaxation/calming orientated stuff findable on You Tube.

Are you familiar with Headspace and Moodjuice for strategies to help symptoms?

Google same.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 26th Feb 18, 3:10 AM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 7,355 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Hi

46 isnít too late.

I got divorced when I was 28 and didnít have a steady partner for a while. I lived in London at the time and there were a lot of singles groups. The one I joined arranged Xmas breaks which were brilliant. One year I got on really well with someone and he contacted me later for a date.

We got engaged after a short time, he was 48 and I was 44. We are still engaged and happily retired in Devon. This year we will celebrate our 22nd anniversary.
    • WalterShannon
    • By WalterShannon 27th Feb 18, 2:27 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WalterShannon
    I am not surprised that you have a depression...I would recommend more sport and finally, find the hobby that brings you happiness. It`s too late to make kids but it`s never late to find a lady...Good luck man!
    • ljonski
    • By ljonski 27th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 3,354 Thanks
    ljonski
    You need excercise to release endorphins in your body. Humans are made up of body mind and soul. excercise all 3 !
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then itís the state thatís become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
    • Nagme
    • By Nagme 12th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Nagme
    Another long term depression sufferer here. I'm worse through the winter months. I also have suspected chronic fatigue. And I'm terrible at sleeping.

I would say to target yourself with a walk every day. Whatever you feel you can manage, as depression can be exhausting. If music helps drown the negative thoughts out, listen to music whilst you walk. Music can really help me, it drowns the negative voices out ("oh a headache you say? Must be a brain tumour")

Accept that this is a "head below water" phase, which will pass.

Finally, could it be an option to raise your meds for a short time to get through this phase? Maybe a telephone consultation with the Dr to discuss? 30th is too far away, you need support now. I have found some meds become less effective over time, just a thought.

Fully empathise with your position and it's good you're exploring ways to help yourself.

X

Edited to add just seen this post started in November, I hope you are feeling okay, Lesley6166a
    Last edited by Nagme; 12-03-2018 at 1:36 PM.
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 12th Mar 18, 2:25 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    JEN22
    Me too. Been on medication for over 20 years . always raise the level in the winter months plus up my exercising

Its a constant battle but you have to keep working on yourself.
    x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,217Posts Today

8,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin