Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 10th Nov 17, 11:44 AM
    • 85Posts
    • 330Thanks
    katiepants
    Molehill currently feeling like a mountain
    • 10th Nov 17, 11:44 AM
    Molehill currently feeling like a mountain 10th Nov 17 at 11:44 AM
    Hi All,

I've decided to start a diary on here after reading lots of other peoples inspiring stories. My debt is pretty small compared to others - just under 400 on my Nationwide CC, but I just can't seem to crack it. Basically for the last few years I have been living beyond my means - spending every last penny of my pay with nothing left each month to save (and often going well into my overdraft). Then last November I was unfortunate enough to fall Ill and had to take a weeks sick leave from work. I didn't receive any sick pay, so was then 300 out of pocket. Because I hadn't got a cushion to fall back on, this 300 debt has followed me for the past year and I can't seem to claw it back (in fact it has even grown a bit!).

My biggest struggle is probably my OH, he gets paid well and never seems to worry about money. He often pays for lots of things for me and can't seem to understand my money worries at all. Because of this I find it hard to say no to going out and weekends away etc.

W split the bills evenly, and they are all pretty reasonable. I am responsible for the food shopping, so it's the one area where I can exert a bit of control and make sure we're not overspending. I do have a very bad habit of thoughtless spending on snacks from local convenience stores. I've suddenly realised that I'll normally nip to the shops about 4 times a week and spend at least 6 or 7 pounds, sometimes up to 10 or 12!!! Now I see this It's no wonder I can't pay back the debt! The other main money pits are meals out and nights away. We like to stay busy and do lots of exciting things but I realise I'm living beyond my means and I need to start saying no before I get in very serious debt and screw up my credit rating which I've been told by Nationwide previously was excellent.

Also had a particularly bad October where all of my car expenses came out at once (Insurance, Tax, MOT and a new tyre to the tune of nearly 800!). For that reason once of the changes I've made is to set up a new savings account just for my car, saving 60 a month. I've also set up a second savings account for holidays ect. and once the CC is paid off I'm going to start saving into a higher interest account for long term saving.

Short term, I'm going to start keeping a spending diary to see where the pitfalls are. I've already had a conversation with family and friends re: xmas, and spending for that will be an absolute minumum. and I need to start planning ahead better for the expected expenditure each month.

Hopefully posting here regularly will keep me on track!
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
Page 3
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 13th Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    katiepants
    OK, so we are about halfway through Feb, and I have 107 left in my account. I still have 2 more livery bills, and at least a tank of petrol left to get. Plus some food shopping, and drinks at a wedding this weekend... I'm trying so hard but I'm just not quite going to manage without dipping into my overdraft. Still, I reckon I can keep it within 100 which would be amazing!

The assessment day yesterday went well, and I'm hoping I'll be invited back for interview. I have another interview first thing tomorrow, so fingers crossed they go well. I'm quite nervous because I really would like it. I'm foregoing a meetup with friends in order to prepare for it and get an early night.

I'm on a mission this week diet-wise. Hoping for a 3lb loss this week, so need to make sure I get my exercise in.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,286 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope interview goes well.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 15th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    katiepants
    Not too sure how interview went yesterday. It wasn't terrible, but I've had better interviews. Also the test beforehand was pretty hard! My gut feeling is that I won't get it, but will have to wait and see. They've said they'll let me know on Friday.

In the meantime, I'm just chugging along. Today I need to pay my livery bill, and I'm also getting my hair cut which will be an added expense. Still in the + figures in my account at the moment but I think next week it'll get pushed over the edge. My OH does owe me money for food shopping though, so will get him to transfer that for me by the end of the week. Must get a joint account set up for that!

Last interview tomorrow morning. I think I have a good chance, but I just need to not screw up!
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 16th Feb 18, 9:34 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    katiepants
    Didn't get the job... So everything hangs on this mornings interview. Trying not to stress too much but I do feel a bit sick!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Feb 18, 2:56 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,286 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope interview today goes ok.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 17th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    katiepants
    Hope interview today goes ok.
    Originally posted by beanielou

Thank you! I thought the one yesterday went really well so if I don't get it there's literally nothing else I could have done. I won't find out until Monday though...

Did the weekly shop this morning (28) and also paid my vets bill from Jan.
    That took me into my overdraft, but then OH paid me for the shopping so I'm back in the black (for now...)
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,286 Thanks
    beanielou
    You are lucky to have such a fab OH

***Keep plodding***
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 19th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    katiepants
    I'm on cloud 9 today, because I got a phone call this morning offering me the job. They were!so eager to have me they also upped the salary without me even asking. I'm so, so pleased.!I've bought a mini bottle of prosecco for me and my OH to share tonight to celebrate. Yippee!

I had to get petrol first thing, but the prices had dropped again so it was a bit less for a full tank.!That'll mean I'm back in the minus figures, but I only have Thursdays livery bill, a food shop, and a meal out on sat pm to pay for.!

With regards to the food shop, I got a voucher last time I went for 4000 extra points if I spend over 40.!I normally spend around 30, but thought I'd try and stock up on some store cubbard stuff that we use all the time to take advantage of the offer.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 19th Feb 18, 7:07 PM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 8,576 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Congratulations.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Feb 18, 7:27 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,286 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news for you

***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,286 Thanks
    beanielou
    So when you start?

***Keep plodding***
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 6th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    katiepants
    Oops, seemed to fall off the face of the earth again for a bit there. Things are going OK. I've had my start date and contract through for new !job, and handed in my notice for the current job. Debt-busting is not going as well as I'd hoped though. I seemed to have had a lot of unplanned expenses recently, and I've been so busy I've done a rubbish job of meal planning and therefore spent too much on food.

I have a weekend at home this weekend, so need to clean the house, meal plan around what we already have in, and try not to buy too much food. I also need to go shopping for a full new work wardrobe. I currently just wear jeans and jumpers, but new job has a stricter dress code and I only have one set of smart clothes (which I use for interviews). I'll start with Primark and see where that leads, but could really do without the expense right now!

Really need to sort out a joint account for me and OH so don't have to constantly have to ask him for shopping money.

I'm back on the wagon diet wise, and am nearly back to where I was a couple of weeks ago. Just 8lbs more til my goal weight.

It's the 6th March, and I have about 150 'spare' cash left. I'm under no illusions that it won't last a second. This is a very expensive month
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Mar 18, 4:23 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,286 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on contract for new job

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin