Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 10th Nov 17, 11:44 AM
    • 102Posts
    • 365Thanks
    katiepants
    Molehill currently feeling like a mountain
    • 10th Nov 17, 11:44 AM
    Molehill currently feeling like a mountain 10th Nov 17 at 11:44 AM
    Hi All,

I've decided to start a diary on here after reading lots of other peoples inspiring stories. My debt is pretty small compared to others - just under 400 on my Nationwide CC, but I just can't seem to crack it. Basically for the last few years I have been living beyond my means - spending every last penny of my pay with nothing left each month to save (and often going well into my overdraft). Then last November I was unfortunate enough to fall Ill and had to take a weeks sick leave from work. I didn't receive any sick pay, so was then 300 out of pocket. Because I hadn't got a cushion to fall back on, this 300 debt has followed me for the past year and I can't seem to claw it back (in fact it has even grown a bit!).

My biggest struggle is probably my OH, he gets paid well and never seems to worry about money. He often pays for lots of things for me and can't seem to understand my money worries at all. Because of this I find it hard to say no to going out and weekends away etc.

W split the bills evenly, and they are all pretty reasonable. I am responsible for the food shopping, so it's the one area where I can exert a bit of control and make sure we're not overspending. I do have a very bad habit of thoughtless spending on snacks from local convenience stores. I've suddenly realised that I'll normally nip to the shops about 4 times a week and spend at least 6 or 7 pounds, sometimes up to 10 or 12!!! Now I see this It's no wonder I can't pay back the debt! The other main money pits are meals out and nights away. We like to stay busy and do lots of exciting things but I realise I'm living beyond my means and I need to start saying no before I get in very serious debt and screw up my credit rating which I've been told by Nationwide previously was excellent.

Also had a particularly bad October where all of my car expenses came out at once (Insurance, Tax, MOT and a new tyre to the tune of nearly 800!). For that reason once of the changes I've made is to set up a new savings account just for my car, saving 60 a month. I've also set up a second savings account for holidays ect. and once the CC is paid off I'm going to start saving into a higher interest account for long term saving.

Short term, I'm going to start keeping a spending diary to see where the pitfalls are. I've already had a conversation with family and friends re: xmas, and spending for that will be an absolute minumum. and I need to start planning ahead better for the expected expenditure each month.

Hopefully posting here regularly will keep me on track!
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
Page 2
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 30th Jan 18, 7:54 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    katiepants
    Did a big shop last night and spent 32. More than I was hoping but we did need some staples and they had an offer on Pepsi.

I don't think I'll be shopping at aldi again. What a horrible shopping experience. I still had to go to Morrison's for basic stuff that aldi didnt have, and personally didn't think the stress of shopping there was worth the few pence saved. What a weird place!

Today is payday, and I've just put 30 of petrol in my car. Hoping that I can keep petrol to 150 this month but will have to wait and see.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 30th Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 55,039 Posts
    • 219,830 Thanks
    beanielou
    Funny how we are all different.
    I think you save a lot at Aldi & dont have to go elsewhere to top up too much.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 30th Jan 18, 10:09 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    katiepants
    Maybe I need to give it another chance. I just hated having to go to more than 1 shop. What a pain!

Also our pay was late as they'd messed something up on the payroll system with the pensions. Stressful day!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 30th Jan 18, 10:15 PM
    • 55,039 Posts
    • 219,830 Thanks
    beanielou
    Stressful day indeed.
    Hopefully tomorrow will be better for you.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 31st Jan 18, 3:05 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    katiepants
    OK, finally got paid late last night, and I'm enjoying the fact that my account is showing 1037 in it. Tomorrow my bill money will go into my other account (330), and into my two savings pots for car and holidays (120) so I'll have just over 500 for food, petrol, and livery costs.

I'm determined to stay out of my overdraft this month!! Feeling good so far.

Also 10lbs down and halfway to my goal!! I like to think I'm removing pounds from my body and putting them in my purse...
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 1st Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    katiepants
    Definitely not a NSD today. Had to get screenwash for my car (drive to work this morning was a bit...interesting), and whilst I was at the petrol station I treated myself to a bottle of pop. I haven't bought anything like that at all since last year, so it was a one-off treat. I justified the calories by walking the 2 miles rather than driving, but I have no justification for the 1.30 it cost.

Also tonight is thursday and that means I have to go and pay my livery bill. It's normally just over 60 for the week, but I was away over the weekend so they looked after my horse for me, which will add 15 to the bill... plus I also need a bale of bedding...

On the upside, my account is still +509 (after transferring bill money, car and holiday savings and even 50 into my 3rd emergency savings fund!). If I can keep the livery costs under 300 for the month, then I'll be doing just about OK I think.
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 2nd Feb 18, 10:48 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    katiepants
    Feeling a bit rubbish today. Very tired, and my knees are painful for some reason when I walk. Also I don't know if my posture is to blame, but I've had neck ache since yesterday morning. Even a massage from my OH last night didn't really help. Just feeling a bit run down in general. Maybe I'm coming down with something , or maybe my body is trying to tell me to take it easy?

Anyway, I've decided today I need to just take it easy. I'm currently enjoying a hot chocolate, which is definitely comforting.

Plan for tonight (OH is out with work):

- walk to the stables to see my horse. It's 0.5 miles away, so it'll be a 1 mile walk on the flat. That might be good for my knees and the fresh air should help with the tiredness. I also need to give said horse a really good brush since he's really muddy and I want to ride in the morning.

- run a duster round our bedroom and the living room. I've not done this in over a week so desperately need to do this.

- tea is going to be homemade cottage pie from the freezer with some mixed veg.

- hot bath

- early night

Think that's all for now. Was hoping for a NSD, but alas I need petrol I really love my car but it is a thirsty beast!
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 2nd Feb 18, 3:51 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    katiepants
    Definitely going to have to stop off on my way home for some wine. After the day I've had, it's much needed!
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 3rd Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    katiepants
    So I bought the wine but didn't drink it in the end as I had a sore throat and worried that I was getting a cold (if so wine would have made me feel terrible).
    Instead I found some Christmas chocolate that I'd completely forgotten about. That was yummy!
    Also managed to dust the bedroom but ran out of energy after that. Had bath and tea and crawled to bed about 11pm.

Throat not as bad this morning. Didn't ride my horse as it's freezing rain. OH Is currently hoovering and I've just made a batch of Rocky road.
    Lunch will be a cuppa soup for me and sandwich for him then we will walk to town for a mooch round. Tea is pie and chips for him and chili for me. Then we are going to the pub where I may or may not have a pint of cider.

I got petrol this morning and winced at the price. A full tank is 7 more expensive than it was few weeks ago! At least I can get nectar points on it...

Also weighed myself and have list another lb. Must stop doing it all he time though, bad habit. Not going to go near the scales until next saturday now!
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 3rd Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 8,639 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Ouch at the petrol price. There was an app featured on MSE a while back that shows you the best price in your local area for petrol, would that be worth a look? I know that locally Sainsburys tends to be the most expensive and the cheapest vies between Asda and Morrisons usually by tenth's of a penny.
    The thing about Aldi is that you have to get used to it as there is no choice and rarely many branded items so it's a different set-up to the main supermarkets. When I first started to go there, I used only to buy a few things because what had previously been our staples just weren't there seemingly. However, I gradually built up and now I get 90% of my shopping there. There are still some things that we don't like, some things they don't stock and some (very few) brands that the family will not accept substitutions. But now I know that, I do my regular shop at Aldi and then typically once a fortnight/3 weeks I do an additional small shop in either Morrisons or Asda for those things.
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 3rd Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    katiepants
    Ouch at the petrol price. There was an app featured on MSE a while back that shows you the best price in your local area for petrol, would that be worth a look? I know that locally Sainsburys tends to be the most expensive and the cheapest vies between Asda and Morrisons usually by tenth's of a penny.
    The thing about Aldi is that you have to get used to it as there is no choice and rarely many branded items so it's a different set-up to the main supermarkets. When I first started to go there, I used only to buy a few things because what had previously been our staples just weren't there seemingly. However, I gradually built up and now I get 90% of my shopping there. There are still some things that we don't like, some things they don't stock and some (very few) brands that the family will not accept substitutions. But now I know that, I do my regular shop at Aldi and then typically once a fortnight/3 weeks I do an additional small shop in either Morrisons or Asda for those things.
    Originally posted by joeyjimbles
    Thanks will check out that petrol website!

I will give Aldi another chance. Their actual products have been very nice (particularly liked the grapes) it was just the experience of shopping there I wasn't keen on!
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 4th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 8,639 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    I know what you mean about the shopping experience - but actually once used to it I rather appreciate the no-frills in-and-out approach. I don't have to trail the aisles, the things are either there or not and it's quick. I've even got the packing the bags down to a fine art - I put my bags in the trolley and have one for meat/fish and tins, one for veg and dairy, one for bottles and cereal.
    I can match their speed too these days - but you have to be prepared and ready. After a few visits, you'll also find your preferred till assistants too.
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 5th Feb 18, 7:41 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    katiepants
    So I had a pretty good weekend. Got plenty of exercise yesterday since it was dry and sunny. Only spent 6 in the pub on Saturday night. Had to do a big shop yesterday, and it came to 40 but that included washing powder that was on offer plus a Valentine's card for my OH.

Today I'm on a training course in the city where I live, so that means no commute and free lunch. Win!

Right knee still very painful so am wearing knee support today. I think it's helping. Supposed to be going to my fitness class tonight but will see how I feel. Tea is going to be a mini pizza from the freezer.
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 6th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    katiepants
    Training course yesterday was really good, and free lunch a bonus! !My knee is really giving me some gyp though, so much so that I cancelled my fitness class last night. I was really disappointed and drowned by sorrows by eating a family pack of mini eggs... oh dear! Back on track today, although knee is still pretty sore. Managed a walk at lunch and my Mum is coming round for tea tonight which will be lovely. I've not seen her for ages.

I'm not so certain that I'll managed not to go into my overdraft this month. I've not really spent any excess, but petrol and horse expenses were a bit more than I'd expected. Oh well, hopefull March will be the month!
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 6th Feb 18, 6:26 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 8,639 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Is the knee an ongoing issue or a new thing? I think I'd be inclined to go and see either your GP or a chiropractor if things don't improve.
    Are you able to increase your income in any way - online surveys are deadly dull but Prolific Academic pay quite well (though they're slow at the moment), Populus and Panelbase are also worth a look as is Qmee, Citizen Me and OnePulse for easy pennies. Also if you have a use for Nectar points (Sainsburys, Debenhams, Argos) and have a nectar card you can do surveys on e-rewards in exchange for nectar points/rewards.
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 8th Feb 18, 4:28 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    katiepants
    Went to the pub with friends last night and discovered a new drink- blackcurrant and soda. Very cheap (1.25 a glass), and yummy too!

Not sure how the finances will pan out this weekend. Going to try really hard to keep my money in my purse. Chippy tomorrow night but I'm just going to have a fishcake with veg from home. Sat pm, going for a pizza, but have a voucher for 5 main so that's good. On top of that I reckon about 3.50 for a pint and that should be about it... I hope!

Knee was getting better but then I've woken up this morning and it's painful again. It's a new thing, but came on very gradually. Will give it until Monday and then consider going to the Dr.

I also have 2 job interviews next week - fingers crossed!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Feb 18, 4:41 PM
    • 55,039 Posts
    • 219,830 Thanks
    beanielou
    POsitive vibes for the interviews

***Keep plodding***
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 8th Feb 18, 5:40 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    katiepants
    POsitive vibes for the interviews
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks, gratefully received!
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 11th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    katiepants
    This weekend could have been worse, but it also could have been better!

Friday night the others had chippy. I just had a fishcake bought by my OH and veg from the freezer.
    Saturday we went for a longish walk and had lunch at a cafe (too cold for packed lunch). I'd brought by own drink so just bought poached eggs on toast.
    Last night I spent 5 on a pizza and 8 on two drinks. But I had a great time so I reckon it was worth it.

Today the weather was awful so we walked into town.we did take packed lunch and found an indoor bench to eat it on. Then had a mooch round a great local museum (6 entry).

My knee is better, so hoping to up the exercise this week and lose some more weight.
    First interview tomorrow. Eek!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 55,039 Posts
    • 219,830 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope interview goes well

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,620Posts Today

4,514Users online

Martin's Twitter