Building Supplies Online - 'Attempted Delivery' a Joke!

Comments

• Ectophile wrote: »
    ... or if it was a credit card, contact the credit card provider and ask for a Section 75 refund under the Consumer Credit Act.
    rnickster wrote: »
    We ordered £240 worth of plasterboard from building-supplies-online.co.uk (on debit card sadly)

It's a debit card.
  • Not that it's any comfort but it could well be a misunderstanding on the lack of delivery. I've had several missed deliveries in the past because it turned out the driver was going to the wrong address. It helps to give a contact number of whoever is able to take the delivery.

Nevertheless, they seem to be playing silly bug*ers. I'd suggest calling CAB for advice. 03454 04 05 06 they're open 9am to 5pm weekdays.
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I had 2 missed calls in the morning ... I spoke to the driver who said that they 'attempted delivery' but no one was home and the neighbours 'refused delivery'.

Obviously (hindsight being a wonderful thing) you need to accept some responsibility for not supplying a contact number where the recipient could be promptly contacted.

Notwithstanding that my first step would be to check with the neighbours, did the driver really attempt delivery to you or was the driver at completely the wrong address?

Once you are confident the driver went to the wrong address then just initiate a chargeback with your bank; your evidence being your girlfriend's and neighbour's confirmation that no delivery was attempted.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • Valid points about the contact number but 2 counter points.

1. Their website says drivers can not make outbound calls, I wasn't expecting a call from the driver.
    2. Lets say the website didn't say that for arguments sake, I would expect a call from the driver AFTER an attempt at delivery. No-one knocked on the door, no-one rang the door bell. No delivery attempt was made. Only then would I expect a call.

We've emailed them back with our position and again await their response, fully expecting it to be the same. If this is the case we will look at chargeback and our other options whatever they might be.
  • rnickster wrote: »
    We have google location history that proved my girlfriend was at home all day.
    You mean proof that your girlfriend's 'phone was at home all day, of course. Even if that "proof" was accepted, she might not have heard the doorbell or been otherwise occupied when the delivery was attempted. Delivery drivers have location history as well, so it's also unlikely that he went to the wrong address.
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You mean proof that your girlfriend's 'phone was at home all day, of course. Even if that "proof" was accepted, she might not have heard the doorbell or been otherwise occupied when the delivery was attempted.

Agreed, any number of reasons why girlfriend may have missed the delivery which is why confirmation by neighbours would rule out any such doubt.
    Delivery drivers have location history as well, so it's also unlikely that he went to the wrong address.

Can't agree with that at all; the majority of drivers are hard-working, considerate and competent but also lots out there that are lazy and incompetent. We probably get one "no-one was in" every other month despite there always being someone at the property and CCTV proving no such delivery was ever attempted!
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    An interesting website. You cannot use the live chat unless you give your name, email and telephone number. You can eventually find an address but there is no geographic phone number. I thought that every UK based company had to have those on their website.
  • harrys_dad wrote: »
    An interesting website. You cannot use the live chat unless you give your name, email and telephone number. You can eventually find an address but there is no geographic phone number. I thought that every UK based company had to have those on their website.

That's quite normal for a lot of sites.

Plus there is a telephone number listed on their site - 01295 701777
  • rnickster wrote: »
    Valid points about the contact number but 2 counter points.
    1. Their website says drivers can not make outbound calls, I wasn't expecting a call from the driver.

So what. Who doesn't have a mobile phone these days? Even if the driver used their own phone, the cost of a call to the contact number on the order form could be a lot less hassle than having to deal with an undelivered parcel.
    We've emailed them back with our position and again await their response, fully expecting it to be the same. If this is the case we will look at chargeback and our other options whatever they might be.

Call the CAB like I suggested in my earlier post. The consumer rights act 2015 does have stuff regarding goods not being delivered and I think they would be better placed to discuss the nuances of the law and what you can confidently expect the company to do. not least, if they are in the wrong, the CAB can put pressure on them in other ways.

I've dealt with them in the past on a case where I was threatened with court action by an unscrupulous builder and they were *extremely* helpful and got the issue resolved in my favour.

Notwithstanding that, there's also a good section on this site about what to do, including making a court claim online.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/delivery-rights
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 November 2017 at 2:02PM
    Can't agree with that at all; the majority of drivers are hard-working, considerate and competent but also lots out there that are lazy and incompetent. We probably get one "no-one was in" every other month despite there always being someone at the property and CCTV proving no such delivery was ever attempted!
    My point was that Google Location History is just as much evidence for the driver as it would be for the recipient. Drivers do have SatNav fitted to their vehicles and many delivery services do indeed use such location history to show that delivery was attempted at the correct address. Remember, this was a delivery of building materials, so not simply a courier in their own car.
    confirmation by neighbours would rule out any such doubt.
    How would it rule out any doubt? Neighbours might not have heard the doorbell either. They might not have been in.
    Would you accept a bulk delivery of plasterboard on behalf of your neighbour?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure