Boosting the scores

Hi all

I’ve had a problem with credit a few years back and have recently started looking at my credit scores. Since doing so I’ve made a few subtle changes and my scores have increased.

I’ve got an Aqua card of £450 with a high Apr ( I pay it off in full every month)

Lloyd’s have just given me a platinum card of £1000. I don’t intend to use it that often, only for fuel ect..

Would have the two cards in use increase the rating or decrease it?

Thanks

Comments

• First off. IGNORE THE SCORES. I shout this because it is not something lenders see. They are numbers generated by the CRAs based on algorithms. What lenders do see is your history going back six years. Always make sure the details in the report are accurate.

I'm guessing you're in the stage of trying to undo the adverse you have from your past.

Lenders use their own algorithms based on your history as provided by one or more of the CRAs, details on your application form, and any history they may have of dealing with you.

You notice that every CRA's score is different? Lender credit scoring produces differing results as well.

Martin has published a good guide. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score

The good news, is you're on track to improve things. Most important for most lenders is a recent history of responsible credit management. That means having some credit and using it sensibly. You've been doing that with the Aqua card, and that's why Lloyds have approved you (I'm guessing you bank with them).

Having the two cards won't hurt as long as you don't go near your credit limit on either (I would suggest never more than half) and it is best to keep the total of what you spend of both collectively as no more than you can pay back in full every month to avoid interest payments... So fuel, the weekly shop and the like are absolutely fine. You're going to spend that money anyway whether you have a card or not. So having the cards can help as it allows you to build some good history without spending any extra money than you would've anyway. Both cards are relatively low limits so it's worth hanging onto both. That said, some companies won't like it and others will.

There are other things that can help - SIM only mobile contracts instead of PAYG is a good example.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,133
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    Keep both.

It's always handy to have more than one card. Your Aqua has been reporting longer than your Lloyds so will provide more history and also help with the average age of your accounts.

Don't take too much notice of the score - make sure your data is correct and everything is being accurately reported to the 3 main CRAs.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Brilliant. Thanks for your help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills