Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 7th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    • 206Posts
    • 758Thanks
    woodfired
    Light the fire...
    • 7th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    Light the fire... 7th Nov 17 at 6:50 PM
    Hi All

After lurking for a few years and having been inspired by lots of the amazing stories on this board I have decided that its time to join in and post my (our) journey.

I am a mum of two (DD is 8, DS is 3) and have been married to my lovely DH for 10 years.
    We moved into our current house 4 years ago. We paid 150k for it and spent around 85k re-modelling and extending. Its now valued at around 300k with a mortgage of 135 900 outstanding, current term is 22 years 5 months. TBH the mortgage is only this high as we released 100k of equity to purchase a business 7 years ago. Said business is still going strong but there are changes afoot which I will explain later.

Anyway the plan is to attempt to pay of the mortgage and business loan (83k) in 10 years so that we can both work part time in our little shop and enjoy a bit more freedom. I think this target is realistic but hope to shave even more off this timeframe with the help of you lovely people!

Thanks for reading
    Woodfired.x
Page 9
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 9th Jun 19, 11:09 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    woodfired
    Ok, lots to do today. I have completed the warehouse order for the shop and hung out some dark washing already. I'm going to make the most of this dry day (first in a while) and try to finish the rest of my washing, so final dark load in now and then I have a lights wash to do after that. I also have some dry laundry to sort and fold/iron, will leave that till I've added today's efforts to it then do all in one go.

I need to tidy up downstairs and I have the ingredients for a chicken and bacon pie currently defrosting on the side so need to make a start on that for dinner. Will have with Ald1's jersey royals and green beans.

I could also do with an hour in the garden as the wind and rain has wreaked havoc on some plants. My lovely climbing rose that is about to flower has been blown over and needs tying up and lots of other stuff is looking fairly flat. Need to try to remedy as much as I can. On the plus side the strawberries look huge and I'm looking forward to our first harvest in a few weeks. The other berries all have great crops on too, can't wait for them all to be ready. The veg is coming on nicely although only two of my runner beans germinated which is disappointing. I need to plant out my courgettes and sweet peas at some point in the near future.

Lots to do, I'd better make a start!
    Nov 17: Mortgage Balance 135 900
    Jun 19: Mortgage balance 114 500
    Paid off 21 400 in 18 Months
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 9th Jun 19, 3:38 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    woodfired
    Quite a productive day so far, two loads of washing almost dry on the line and another washing as we speak.

I weeded the sweet pea area then planted out my baby plants I'd grown from seed. I love sweet peas. I've shuffled my pots round and brought out the ones from the 'nursery' area that have grown on nicely and are starting to flower. Hopefully the rabbit won't find them too tasty and devour them. I also found a little time for a swing in the hammock seat on the veranda of the summer house, it is Sunday after all.

In the house, I've tidied and cleaned downstairs, made prawn brioche rolls for lunch and I am about to tackle the pie for dinner. I have lit the Esse to cook dinner and heat the water for kiddies bath later. I'll sort the washing out whilst they have a play in the bath (they're old enough to leave alone but within earshot). I was planning on making a jam sponge for pudding tonight but then found a jam roly-poly whilst digging in the freezer so we can declutter that instead.

Finally I have ordered an online Tesc0 shop to arrive tomorrow. This is to make use of some money off vouchers they have sent, 12 off an 80 shop is the first one. I've done a meal plan
    and shopped accordingly but ordered extra meat for the freezer to take me up to the 80 mark - I find I spend much less online than I do in store and was struggling to reach 80.
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 9th Jun 19, 7:57 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 4,357 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Hi wood fired,
    I've very much enjoyed Reading your diary. You've done fantastically!!

Well done! Very inspirational - especially the recipes!
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 10th Jun 19, 3:41 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    woodfired
    Hi zcrat, you're very kind, thank you. I do find keeping a diary helps me stay on track and I use it as a point of reference quite often too, eg. when checking how much we owed at certain points. Thanks for your lovely comments.
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 10th Jun 19, 3:56 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    woodfired
    Monday. Done. Phew.

A busy day today, work this morning 'til 12. I was busy there as the main order came in and needed unpacking. Then came home and pegged out my washing (was supposed to rain but been lovely all day) then nipped out for a run. Didn't get very far as I realised I wouldn't be able to complete my run and be back in time for TESC0 man so had to turn round and take a shorter version (turned out well as I seem to have got very unfit in the last few weeks!! ) The delivery arrived at 2.30 so I then had 50 minutes to make a cottage pie and unpack all shopping before collecting children from school. I managed to make the meat sauce (bulked out with lots of veg and a handful of porridge oats) and it was yummy with my secret ingredient of a spoon of marmite. Yum.

Nephew came at 3.30 for tutoring for his final Science exam and I am now waiting for the potatoes to boil for the topping. As I said, PHEW!!

Will serve the pie with veg on the side and there should be loads for tomorrow's dinner when I've been at work all day which is a bonus.

Tomorrow the new van is going in to the garage for an MOT and check over, hopefully nothing major is found. Will drop off tonight and leave the keys in the morning.

Just need to top the pie with mash, bring the washing in and run the hoover round the lounge and all will be tidy and ready for DH getting home. Aaaaand relax!
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 12th Jun 19, 6:06 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    woodfired
    Today I finished work early to attend the funeral of a very well-liked elderly local lady. It was a lovely send off for her.

Afterwards, I took a delivery in our new van which was MOT'd, taxed and insured yesterday and is all good to go. Delivery was easy and I enjoyed driving the van!

It was after 4 when I got home so I started dinner straightaway and lit both fires as the weather is still horrible.
    I made toad-in-the-hole for the first time and it was lovely. I roasted some old parsnips with carrots and onions to use them up and had with mash and gravy. The whole family enjoyed it on this cold damp day.

In money news, there is none. No news that is .
    Been sticking to my meal plan which has worked well so far, lots of meat in the freezer for next week's plan too. We are keeping spends low in general, although, we have organised a charity pub walk for this weekend to raise money for a little girl with cancer who needs treatment in America. We are charging 10 a head to take part, 1 will pay for the bus to take us to the start and the rest goes to the charity. Hopefully there will be over 30 people so a decent contribution and a nice day out. This will cost us a bit but it's for a good cause.
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 14th Jun 19, 10:31 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    woodfired
    I've been playing with my OP spreadsheet again. The numbers don't quite add up to my actual mortgage balance for reasons I cannot figure out but they're not too far off (actually tried another members spreadsheet they had posted and that was the same ) and it does give me a rough idea of how much I need to find. Sub account 2 (on the high variable rate) was at 12227 in Feb and is now around 4800 by my reckoning. With another 3000 OP and the regular 300 monthly OP sent to this account we are on track to have it cleared by the time sub account 1's fix ends in Oct. This would mean the mortgage would be at around 108k by Oct. This would be fantastic if we can pull it off! 3k in 5 months is ambitious but not completely ridiculous. Still aiming high.

In other news, DD was trying it on this morning, she fancied a day off school as it's times table and spellings test day but I persuaded her to go in eventually.
    DH is on a corporate golf day, gets him out of the house for the day and it's all paid for so no spends needed aside from sharing a taxi home later.

I am home trying to motivate myself to do some washing and cleaning. House is a bit untidy but I am distracted by diaries on here!! I really need to have a look through the fridge as I am conscious of leftovers in there that need re-purposing and eating up. Need to empty the fridge out and see what I can create from the odds and ends. This will be dinner tonight.

Tomorrow is our charity walk so I am also going to prep dinner for then ready to throw in the oven when we get home (trying to avoid the temptation of a takeaway).
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 14th Jun 19, 7:22 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    woodfired
    Finished up quite a good day today, although DD came home at lunch time poorly and promptly made a full recovery. :rolls eyes:

I had made myself a list of 'big' jobs to be completed in June and I managed to tick two off the list today, clearing out and re-organising my wardrobe and then doing the same for the under-the-kitchen-sink cupboard. I still need to clear the garden of junk and take to the tip, clear out under the stairs and sort out the summer house (full of junk). 2/5 completed in one day though, not a bad start.

I have also done a couple of loads of laundry, one has dried on the line, the next has been pegged out late tonight for a head-start on tomorrow's drying (a few bits we might need tomorrow are drying on the Esse). Just a white wash to do and the baskets are empty.

Tidied and cleaned the kitchen and the rest of downstairs. Had a look through the fridge contents; ate some leftover sausages, mash and roasted veg for lunch. Leftover burgers for dinner for me and sausages/mash for children, DH still out (3 course dinner was provided at the golf do). Still got some mash and veg to use up, may do bubble and squeak with poached eggs for brekkie? Would keep us full on our walk too which would be a bonus.

Now I am sat with a chilled glass of Prosecco enjoying my tidy house and a bit of peace and quiet before DH gets home. Happy Friday folks.xx
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 17th Jun 19, 3:33 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    woodfired
    Half day at work today. Home at 12.

Tidied and hoovered, ordered some wood for DH, sent a parcel, collected some change for the shop, updated spending spreadsheet, lit the fire ready for the children coming home (cool and wet again here), chased up bank business manager about loan fix (again!!!) .
    DSis messaged to say Dream House has been reduced in price (she's an Estate Agent) so chased up accountants for latest set of accounts (again!!!) Should be with us this week. Mortgage advisor has b*ggered off on holiday, back next Mon but hasn't been much help so far. I'm hoping he'll pull his finger out next week and give us an idea if the whole thing is feasible or not. Sigh. Now I'm worried that somebody else will swoop in and buy it before we can get ourselves organised (looked fairly overpriced before, more appealing now).

On the bright side I have left over beef and potatoes from last night's roast dinner. Fresh batch of (huge) yorkshire puds have just gone into the oven, just need to cook some peas and dinner will be ready.
    DS seems a bit under the weather and is very tired. A good hot dinner and an early night will do him the world of good.
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 23rd Jun 19, 5:47 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    woodfired
    Another weekend over and done, where do they go?!!

Reading back through my last few posts i've realised that I've managed to complete all of my 'big' June jobs. We have cleared the garden of old/broken furniture/toys/trampolines and lots of other random junk. Delivered it to the tip this afternoon so fully de-cluttered. I have also de-cluttered under the stairs. It seems the main problem was a huge amount of hats/gloves/scarves/waterproofs that won't really be needed for another few months so I've moved them to the attic room and there is now much more space under the stairs and once it was re-organised and some extra hooks for coats put up it looks great. Finally, I sorted out the summer house, not too big a job, simply a tidy up, moved some bits to the proper shed, washed the cushions and throws then a sweep of the floor. Done.

In amongst all of that we found time to host 15 friends for an afternoon of games in the garden followed by an evening around the firepit which was lovely. Hope everyone else had a fab weekend.xx
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 27th Jun 19, 3:39 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 4,313 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    Hi Woodfired, how are you getting on with your Esse in summer? We had a good look at them with our new kitchen in mind but couldn't justify it as our boiler works fine as it is (will probably die just as everything is installed!)

Mortgage Apr 18 417,894 BTL Mar 18 162,857
    Mortgage now --- 401,208 BTL now -- 161,891
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 28th Jun 19, 10:38 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    woodfired
    Hi FloppyDisk,

The Esse is generally good in summer. We have a boiler that is linked to the Esse via a large water tank and to be honest it was a lot of work to install and very expensive (the tank alone was over 1000), however, at this time of year we tend to light the Esse once a day or so for an hour and it heats the water for showers etc and perhaps cooks dinner. Although, I must admit I don't do loads of day to day cooking on it in the summer as it can make the kitchen too warm. I have a separate electric hob and oven for times like this.
    If we were to move I would have another but without the back boiler as its lovely for the cosy factor and makes a great roast etc but the cost of the installation of the pipework/tank/pumps etc required to run the system is pretty high. We also find it won't run the heating very well as the output isn't high enough. It's great for the underfloor heating in the kitchen diner (on a separate zone) but the rads don't get hot enough on the Esse alone, it's more of a supplement to the boiler.

Hope that helps!

WF.x
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 28th Jun 19, 10:45 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    woodfired
    OK, so I have news. We have agreed a price with the vendors of Dream House, subject to ours going on the market and under offer etc. We have released some funds from the shop in preparation (we put 100k of our equity from our house into it when we bought it) and they should hit our account today. Our MA is reasonably confident that we have a mortgage in place (he is sending a decision in principle this morning apparently) and I have booked the photographer for our house for Monday afternoon! Yikes!!

It seems that we may well be moving (subject to somebody wanting to buy ours etc etc!!)
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 30th Jun 19, 1:05 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    woodfired
    Gosh I am so tired today! We hosted a family fun day at the local crown green bowling club yesterday. Our business provided a buffet for 100 people free of charge (and made by myself and DH) we also provided all of the alcohol at cost price (before VAT) and all of the profits are going to a fund for cancer treatment in America for a local little girl. We raised over 800 which was amazing but it was hard work. I have just sat down after collecting all of the leftover drink and returning it to the shop and cleaning up the last of the platters from the buffet. We had loads of food left and so gave it all away, all my big serving dishes are scattered around the village with various people eating up salads etc. Really hope I get them all back as they include some expensive Nigella Lawson bowls!
    I was shattered last night but I did not sleep well as my mind wouldn't stop whirring as often happens after a really busy day.
    I would love to take it easy today but the estate agents are coming to photograph the house tomorrow to get it on the market so I really need to get on with cleaning up!
    In money news, the old loan on the shop was cleared and the new one drawn down on Friday . The additional funds I transferred to a personal account yesterday morning but they haven't yet turned up! So we have approximately 31k floating around in the clouds somewhere which is rather alarming! I really hope they appear tomorrow when the banks re-open.
    This morning I sent 151.60 to the mortgage to round the figure down to a tidy 114 500. The interest this month was only 170.12. It seems to be dropping quite quickly now, not all that long ago it was over 200. Its a shame we are heading towards more than doubling the mortgage debt by moving house!!
    • Runders
    • By Runders 2nd Jul 19, 6:39 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 793 Thanks
    Runders
    Hi Woodfired,

No wonder you were shattered that sounds like a busy yet fantastic day, and for such a great cause!

Congratulations on having your offer accepted on the dream home That must be so exciting!

This morning I sent 151.60 to the mortgage to round the figure down to a tidy 114 500. The interest this month was only 170.12. It seems to be dropping quite quickly now, not all that long ago it was over 200. Its a shame we are heading towards more than doubling the mortgage debt by moving house!!
    Originally posted by woodfired
    I feel you with the above. My plan was originally to stay where I am, pay the mortgage down so I could switch to a job I would love but paid me a lot less and be happy. Somewhere along the lines I've knee jerked, decided to double my mortgage by moving and now have to keep working for a certain figure. At least you are doing it for your dream home so that's amazing!!

Wishing you lots of luck with it all.
    MFW Start: Sep 2014 - 110,844, July 2019 New Home 190,995
    Current: 82,999.69 190,972.18
    2019MFW #109 OP Goal 727.82/1000
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 7th Jul 19, 2:06 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    woodfired
    Hi Runders!

It is indeed a scary thought, increasing the mortgage so drastically and I have spent many a sleepless night agonising over our decision! We will be losing a huge field of a garden at this house to replace with a similar sized plot with the house plonked in the middle. Family and friends adore our current garden as we spend many happy summers days playing cricket and the like, their horror at our moving makes me doubt myself! However, our house went live on rightmove late on Wednesday afternoon and I was panicking about the lack of interest by Saturday, my panic made me realise that I really DO want to move, we have so many plans for that house and I would be really upset to miss out on it. A call to the agents revealed that we do, infact, have 2 viewing booked in for Wednesday, they just hadn't got round to telling me yet!

One viewer is a first time buyer with a mortgage in place, the others are currently in rented, waiting for the right house so fingers crossed they like it!

In other news, we have taken our caravan for a test run after repairs on the heating/hot water system were finally completed this week. We only ventured half an hour away but it was very quiet and picturesque and we all had a lovely time. Even better, the site fees were 44 for 2 nights (very cheap) and the only spends were lunch at a cafe on Saturday (sadly this was 23 for a very poor lunch but never mind). The caravan was perfect and we are now looking forward to our summer holiday in Norfolk in a few weeks time. Oh, and the repair came in at 452, much less than we were expecting as it has been a tricky job. Good news all round.

Finally, I have been rounding up our savings from various accounts to pop into Premium Bonds for a few months until we are ready to move (touch wood). Including the money released from the business, we now have 38 500 in premium bonds, plus another 4000 ish in other savings accounts. I'm aiming to get the PBs up to 40k asap! Love a challenge like this, it's addictive!!xx
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 7th Jul 19, 8:34 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 4,357 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Fantastic news about your house!! Hope the viewings go well.

Well done on your charity efforts too
    • Runders
    • By Runders 8th Jul 19, 11:34 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 793 Thanks
    Runders
    Hi Runders!

It is indeed a scary thought, increasing the mortgage so drastically and I have spent many a sleepless night agonising over our decision! We will be losing a huge field of a garden at this house to replace with a similar sized plot with the house plonked in the middle. Family and friends adore our current garden as we spend many happy summers days playing cricket and the like, their horror at our moving makes me doubt myself! However, our house went live on rightmove late on Wednesday afternoon and I was panicking about the lack of interest by Saturday, my panic made me realise that I really DO want to move, we have so many plans for that house and I would be really upset to miss out on it. A call to the agents revealed that we do, infact, have 2 viewing booked in for Wednesday, they just hadn't got round to telling me yet!
    I have this currently. I am waiting for the exchange to happen today and I am so nervous that it isn't going to happen. I think this tells me all I need to know really. Fingers crossed for your viewings!!

In other news, we have taken our caravan for a test run after repairs on the heating/hot water system were finally completed this week. We only ventured half an hour away but it was very quiet and picturesque and we all had a lovely time. Even better, the site fees were 44 for 2 nights (very cheap) and the only spends were lunch at a cafe on Saturday (sadly this was 23 for a very poor lunch but never mind). The caravan was perfect and we are now looking forward to our summer holiday in Norfolk in a few weeks time.
    Glad the caravan test drive went well! I am actually about to move out of Norfolk - the fact everyone comes on holiday here sometimes makes me think I am mad to leave. But it is a beautiful county and I am sure you will have a fantastic holiday. If you want any tips on places to visit just give me a shout.
    MFW Start: Sep 2014 - 110,844, July 2019 New Home 190,995
    Current: 82,999.69 190,972.18
    2019MFW #109 OP Goal 727.82/1000
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 14th Jul 19, 11:47 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    woodfired
    Thanks Runders, hope things are quickly sorted out for you with your purchase, it sounds a nightmare!

So, not a lot to report really. We have had 3 viewings on the house, some lovely feedback but no further action yet. I'm very impatient though and keep checking the page views on Zoopla and wondering why there are no further viewings booked. Must get a grip.

Elsewhere, I am scrabbling for pennies to send to the PB account, it's very novel to have most of our money in one place rather than spread over lots of accounts and I feel richer because of this which is ridiculous!! I am aiming to have 40k in premium bonds in the next month (currently made it to 39k). We still have a couple of reg savers open, totalling 3500 and then a bit in high interest current accounts but I keep shifting bits over to the PBs to try to make my target! Its addictive - like overpaying.

Speaking of overpaying, the mortgage is still sat at 114 500, once I've reached my PB target I will revert to OPing. We are still on track to clear sub account 2 by October 31st.

I have added a bit of cash to my Monz0 account which is earmarked for our holiday and not counted in my savings total. There is now just under 500 in there and I am hoping we won't need much more than that.
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 14th Jul 19, 2:01 PM
    • 9,803 Posts
    • 19,496 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Just caught up on your diary. Very inspiring. Hope you get your dream property. I did wonder what the attraction of premium bonds is? What benefit do they give you?
    Target DFD Mar 21 Nov 20 38840 @ 13/7/19 27,512 @0%
    Target MFD July 2031 March 28 owe 145551 @13/7/19 145,282 @1.7%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,095Posts Today

7,689Users online

Martin's Twitter