Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 7th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    • 81Posts
    • 265Thanks
    woodfired
    Light the fire...
    • 7th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    Light the fire... 7th Nov 17 at 7:50 PM
    Hi All

After lurking for a few years and having been inspired by lots of the amazing stories on this board I have decided that its time to join in and post my (our) journey.

I am a mum of two (DD is 8, DS is 3) and have been married to my lovely DH for 10 years.
    We moved into our current house 4 years ago. We paid 150k for it and spent around 85k re-modelling and extending. Its now valued at around 300k with a mortgage of 135 900 outstanding, current term is 22 years 5 months. TBH the mortgage is only this high as we released 100k of equity to purchase a business 7 years ago. Said business is still going strong but there are changes afoot which I will explain later.

Anyway the plan is to attempt to pay of the mortgage and business loan (83k) in 10 years so that we can both work part time in our little shop and enjoy a bit more freedom. I think this target is realistic but hope to shave even more off this timeframe with the help of you lovely people!

Thanks for reading
    Woodfired.x
Page 5
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 6th Oct 18, 1:32 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    woodfired
    Hello there fellow MFWs

A grey day here in Lancs but i'm in a good mood.

It's Saturday and I have a lot to be thankful for. Business is going well, I've employed new people who are really nice. DHs business has picked up so much he is currently at work
    Sis called round last night to ask me and DD (who's 9) to be godmothers to my nephew. First time I've heard of a child being a godparent but apparently there are no rules against it? They chose her because she absolutely dotes on her little cousin and he loves her. Sis sometimes asks for DD to go round as she gets lots done whilst DD entertains baby!

I've also lost 4.5 pounds this week and I am aiming to have half a stone gone by this weeks weigh-in. Had a healthy brekkie of HM hash browns containing potatoes, limp carrots and browning spring onion with boiled eggs, roasted (manky) mushrooms and some LO baked beans. MSE and healthy.
    In a similar vein, we walked 7 miles yesterday, up-hill and down-dale as the saying goes. We then had a lovely lunch at our local pub across the park, fab food and really reasonable in price.

This morning I have tidied and cleaned the house, done some washing and I will brave the food shop later. Shouldn't need too much as the freezer has plenty of meat etc, just needing fresh fruit and veg really.

Lunch will be a jacket potato with low fat tuna mayo and sweetcorn.

Better get on! x
    Nov 17: Mortgage Balance 135 900 Business Loan 83 000 Savings 10 500
    Aug 18: Mortgage balance 128 907 Business Loan 78 328 Savings 11 337
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 7th Oct 18, 3:10 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    How awful to have your employee steal from you glad you have found new staff. Well done on the weight loss
    Mortgage restart June 2018 119950
    zero personal cc
    6x166 for sofas ending November 2018
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • jodles16
    • By jodles16 9th Oct 18, 5:18 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    jodles16
    Have read your diary, so impressive. Awful about your emloyee, I cannot fathom how stealing x amount is worth loosing a job over, as well as all the other implications that come with it, shocking! I really hope these new ladies will be just what you need!

Jodles
    MFW2017 #29 1200.24/4524
    MFiT #66
    Overall aim 10,124.20/21,743 (156,000)
    2016- Jan-177,472, Apr-173,195.04, July- 171,417.47 Oct- 169,366
    2017- Jan- 167,347.80 Apr- July- Oct-

• woodfired
    • By woodfired 22nd Oct 18, 9:33 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    woodfired
    Hi MFD & Jodles, thanks for dropping by. Yes it was awful and I am still getting a few muttered comments from her family members as though I am in the wrong somehow. I have risen above it as I am trying to be the bigger person but I am assuming she has spun a tale about me being horrible and forcing her to leave .
    On the plus side, new ladies are lovely and are doing well. Thanks for asking.

I've been missing in action a bit lately. Plans seem to be trundling along nicely, still OPing a regular amount each month, although ad-hoc OPs have stopped for now as we wait to ensure new business is doing ok and looking secure. So far so good.

I have booked most of this week off for half term with the children. I have asked them to come up with ideas regarding what they would like to do. Their suggestions have mostly been bike rides, walks and swimming which sound perfect (and cheap!!). It's a lovely day today so taking DS for a haircut, quick stop at the wholesalers (self employed - never truly "off work") then we will get outside in the sunshine. Happy days.

Online shop is arriving this afternoon, going to make some sort of veggie bake today to empty the fridge of the random bits of veg languishing there from last week. My diet hasn't been great this weekend so must try to pull it back before weigh in on Thursday!

Right, better get organised! Have a lovely day everyone.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 26th Oct 18, 8:37 AM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 11,357 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Your half term plans sound lovely (and thrifty). You can't put a price on family time. My kids are grown up now but it's those things they remember , not the spendy ones

Hope you've had a lovely week.
    MFW 2018 #157 Target 15,000

21,220.89/15,000
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 30th Oct 18, 11:07 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    woodfired
    Hi Pinky, we had a lovely week thank you, hope you enjoyed a nice break too. Back to reality today though!

Half term has been and gone, very cheaply though. Most of the week we were at home and out and about in the village/at the farm (Mum & Dad's). It was mostly a lovely week weather wise so we played on the park, rode bikes, went for crunchy autumn walks with my sisters and had a picnic. Fab.
    This weekend we travelled down to my Aunt & Uncle's in Woking. They have just bought a huuuge house (6 main bedrooms plus servants quarters) that they are about to renovate. It was fascinating to look round as it has not been touched for 50 years or so. I had major house envy, although, I wouldn't like to be paying for the renovations, initial estimates are around 600k .

We spent Saturday at Legoland which was hideously overpriced (even with the half-price offer from the cereal boxes ) and bl**dy freezing!! The kids enjoyed it though, that's the main thing.

I took yesterday off work as children were on INSET so spent the day washing and getting organised for back to school. All with both fires roaring as it was really cold out. Defrosted some YS stewing steak and cooked slowly with loads of veg to make stew. I had added so much veg that there was no room for potatoes/dumplings. So I fished out half of the meat/veg mix and froze as a base for another stew in a few weeks then added more stock and loads of potatoes (my fave) and lots of lovely dumplings. It was delicious and perfect on such a cold day plus there is enough for tonight and another full stew with the frozen half.

This morning I have had OOD brown bread (toasted) with beans. I've brought with me a salad made from past-it's-best lettuce, last of the tomatoes, OOD beetroot, a bit of ham and two eggs that didn't make it into the egg mayo sarnies for the journey south on Friday. Healthy and nothing wasted.
    Right, I suppose I had better get on with some work...!
    In other news, the heating had to go on yesterday. Its programmed for just an hour either end of the day. Don't need it much in the evening as we light the woodburner and the ESSE as soon as we get in so the house soon gets warm but its so nice to come in to a warm house in the first place.
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 1st Nov 18, 1:52 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    woodfired
    Finished work for the week, happy days, and a shiny new month begins today.

Starting the month surprisingly solvent considering DH has been paid all of about 1100 since June! His new business owes him a small fortune. I'm planning on starting to pay him weekly from next week and add in extra back-pay too as he is really busy and I'm invoicing lots. Bless him, he is working very hard to keep up with his orders, he's a good 'un.

Just checked the mortgage/business loan balances (still annoyed that I can only see an overall balance on T5B and not any details on interest etc) and we owe a combined total of 203 284.60. Our regular payments & overpayments should bring this down to a shade over 200 300 by the end of the year. So my goal of being under 200k is not too far out after all. Must try to find this, perhaps from DH back-pay?

I'm very conscious now we are in November that I must get on with some Christmas shopping. I have a few ideas for the kids but nieces and nephews are a nightmare to buy for. I keep putting it off but I must make a start! I have also got my Nephews christening and first birthday on the same weekend mid-November so need some inspo for that too!! Arghhh. Im useless.

In other news:
    Went boxing again with sis-in-law last night. Not aching so much this week so must be getting better/fitter.
    Been lovely and cosy at home this week with CH on for a short time each day but mainly due to the woodburner and ESSE being lit every day. Very toasty and great for drying washing.
    Eaten cheaply all week. Stew was lovely in the colder weather and did about 3 days and my lunch just now . Sandwiches last night as all out and about (trick or treating/boxing). Lunches have all been home made.
    Planning a nice dinner tonight of HM low fat burgers on brioche with HM slimming world chips (love them) and salad. May have a glass of rose to accompany .
    Got a spare hour and half now to get the house lovely and tidy (and half cleaned) with the fires lit before collecting children. Better get on with it!x
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 7th Nov 18, 1:21 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    woodfired
    I tried to post an update on Monday but I lost my post - twice - so I gave up

Anyway, we had a lovely cheap weekend with lots of outdoor family time which was great. Lots of jobs done too including a serious clear out in the front garden which was long overdue but looks sooo much better now.

I have been looking into the best current account switch deals to earn some cashback on DHs unused account. We pay all DDs from my (cashback) account so DHs old account is unused. There aren't really any good deals around for cash, lots offer gifts or vouchers but often they're not something I would use, however, I found a deal on Nat*onwide which gave 5% interest on balances up to 2500 and had a recommend a friend to switch incentive of 100 each. So I have opened myself a new account with them (for the interest) then I will recommend DH so we both get the 100 and will have 5k of high interest savings potential.

The only issue is the T&Cs state that the switching account must have at least two active DDs so I have contacted United Util to swap the DD to DHs account and re-instated his HL S&S ISA monthly savings payment which goes out by DD to meet the criteria! A small job to earn 200.

It has been my one year anniversary of my diary this week which prompted me to look back. I found that we have paid 13500 off the capital in the past 18 months alone, which equates to a capital reduction of 750 per month. Considering our normal capital + interest payment is only 618 per month, this isn't bad!! I am especially chuffed as in that time we have refurbished the shop and invested heavily in a new business (which is still not paying it's own way ). All the money saving bits, such as faffing around opening new accounts etc, do add up to a huge saving over time. I must keep going, even if DH thinks i'm mad.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Nov 18, 9:58 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 11,357 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Happy diary anniversary WF

21,220.89/15,000
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 9th Nov 18, 7:57 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    woodfired
    Thank you PP!

I must confess to a very non-MSE day yesterday.
    We were celebrating the fact that our new venture is finally in the black and DHs first proper pay hit the bank this morning! How exciting! The company is paying him 40% more than he used to earn from his Dad (although that was a miserable wage -families!) so we should start to feel much better off. I managed to liberate a couple of thousand of our savings that we had ploughed in too, so the (personal) accounts look much better. Come December things should look really healthy according to my cash-flow projections (more lovely spreadsheets ) so we can really start to pay ourselves back hopefully.

Anyway, yesterday was a day to celebrate. I had my nails done (gel polish) then DH returned with a bunch of flowers for me . Finally, we went out to a local pub that has just won a michelin star. This was booked a few weeks ago but happily coincided with yesterday.

TBH, we both had 3 courses, with a side dish to share. We had a bottle of wine, water and DH had a beer. The bill was 100. I think that was really quite reasonable for a starred restaurant. I was expecting the damage to be much greater. And to top it off the food was exquisite, absolutely beautiful. We had a fab night and it was such a lovely treat.

Back to MSE reality this morning though! Meal plan done and shopping list planned. I've used up pretty much the entire contents of the fridge and hardly any waste at all this week . The last food shop I did was 11 days ago so we have lasted pretty well and have eaten quite a few bits from the freezer. I am planning to batch cook some meals for lunches to try to stop me grazing my way around the shop I am terrible, there's just so much temptation in front of me!

So this morning is a spot of housework, shopping then helping DH at work for a couple of hours. Dinner will be chicken fajitas and salad (wraps need using up) and possibly nachos too (ditto the tortilla chips!). Yum. Happy Friday folks!
    • smilingbright
    • By smilingbright 9th Nov 18, 12:31 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    smilingbright
    Congratulations Woodfired! That is great news about your DH's business and I think you are absolutely right to mark the occasion and celebrate. You actually managed to do so without spending too much. I have been in a similar situation recently of getting involved in a sideline business with a friend, which initially cost a bit and is now just breaking even but if it gets to the point where I can recoup what I put in (a couple of thousand) and make an actual profit, I will definitely be going out to celebrate!
    Mortgage November 2016- 202,000
    Mortgage November 2018- 161,500
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 9th Nov 18, 5:34 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    woodfired
    Congratulations Woodfired! That is great news about your DH's business and I think you are absolutely right to mark the occasion and celebrate. You actually managed to do so without spending too much. I have been in a similar situation recently of getting involved in a sideline business with a friend, which initially cost a bit and is now just breaking even but if it gets to the point where I can recoup what I put in (a couple of thousand) and make an actual profit, I will definitely be going out to celebrate!
    Originally posted by smilingbright
    Thank you smilingbright, it is such a good feeling when a gamble/investment finally starts to do well. We've had a few hairy moments along the way where we wondered what on earth we were thinking. I really hope your venture starts to make a profit soon, its a good sign when it starts to break even, at least you're going in the right direction! Thanks for stopping by.

I am so tired tonight. I did some housework then the food shop this morning then went straight to work with DH for 4 hours. I stacked 3000 parts on pallets ready for dispatch next week. It was back breaking but satisfying and way easier/faster with two of us than him working alone.
    We came home shattered and then had to unpack the food shop I hate that job!

I have had a hot shower and put my PJs on. Children are fed and our nachos are ready to go in the oven. DH has popped to the pub for an hour with his friends so I am enjoying a peaceful glass of wine, play on the spreadsheets and diary catch-up. Lovely.

I have attempted to register for Nat*onwide online banking but it won't let me. That is annoying! I am itching to get set up so I can put some cash in for the interest and then recommend DH for the reward!

Tomorrows plans include finishing the housework (I only managed downstairs) and some batch cooking hopefully. We will probably take the children a walk or bike ride too, weather permitting. Have a good weekend everyone. x
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 9th Nov 18, 5:39 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Enjoy a well-earned glass of wine! I may join you...
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 9th Nov 18, 6:01 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    woodfired
    Enjoy a well-earned glass of wine! I may join you...
    Originally posted by Hazelnutty
    I'll pour you one ...red/white or rose?!
    Hope you are feeling better now and that your family situation is resolved.x
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Nov 18, 10:01 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 11,357 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Great to hear all your family's hard work is coming to fruition WF. You truly earned that treat

21,220.89/15,000
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 13th Nov 18, 1:17 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    woodfired
    Great to hear all your family's hard work is coming to fruition WF. You truly earned that treat
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    Thanks PP, it does feel good to stop worrying about it all!

I am at work, supposedly submitting the order to our suppliers but have happened upon the MSE website .

We had a nice quiet weekend, Mum & Dad came for a roast dinner on Saturday night then we attended our local service of remembrance (in the pouring rain) on Sunday morning. We watched Harry Potter in front of the fire Sunday afternoon and that was pretty much it. The diary is filling up rapidly now though for the next few weekends so it may be the last quiet one for a while.

Food wise, I have been making the most of that roast. I did a large chicken Christmas dinner style, with pigs in blankets (frozen out of date sausages cut in half ), stuffing and several sides of veg with mashed and roast potatoes. We had chicken and stuffing sandwiches Sunday lunch then straight up leftovers for Sunday dinner. The kids had pigs in blankets and mash with a bit of veg last night whilst DH and I had a potato and veg hash (fried an onion then added chopped up leftover veg, mash, roasties and stuffing, fried til crispy) with poached eggs. I have finished the last of the hash for breakfast and there is just a tiny bit of veg left to go with dinner tonight. I make that 15 individual meals with a bit of veg left. Not bad at all.

I also batch cooked a Thai vegetable curry for lunches this week so I have brought that with me today to have with some rice. Cheap and healthy.

In money news I have applied for DHs account switch to Nationwide but still haven't managed to log into my online banking with them. I'm waiting for a card reader apparently. I thought card readers were outdated now but seemingly not. Aside from that not much happening. At least we are both on weekly pay-days now so it makes mid month less boring as I can money-shuffle each week . I need to get a life.

Anyway, I suppose I had better do some actual work.... WF.x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

384Posts Today

3,727Users online

Martin's Twitter