Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 7th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    • 242Posts
    • 1,012Thanks
    woodfired
    Light the fire...
    • 7th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    Light the fire... 7th Nov 17 at 7:50 PM
    Hi All

After lurking for a few years and having been inspired by lots of the amazing stories on this board I have decided that its time to join in and post my (our) journey.

I am a mum of two (DD is 8, DS is 3) and have been married to my lovely DH for 10 years.
    We moved into our current house 4 years ago. We paid 150k for it and spent around 85k re-modelling and extending. Its now valued at around 300k with a mortgage of 135 900 outstanding, current term is 22 years 5 months. TBH the mortgage is only this high as we released 100k of equity to purchase a business 7 years ago. Said business is still going strong but there are changes afoot which I will explain later.

Anyway the plan is to attempt to pay of the mortgage and business loan (83k) in 10 years so that we can both work part time in our little shop and enjoy a bit more freedom. I think this target is realistic but hope to shave even more off this timeframe with the help of you lovely people!

Thanks for reading
    Woodfired.x
Page 16
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 10th Jan 20, 4:43 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    woodfired
    Afternoon all.

The end of the first week back is finally here. Its been a busy one for us and I haven't been sleeping too well so its felt fairly tough.

We have relaxed today with a nice walk around the valley and lunch in a local pub which was a lovely treat.

Yesterday I finally banked my TSB refund cheque and NS&I paid my winnings into the bank today. However, I did treat myself to some new cushions and a clock to replace the broken one in the lounge in Dunelm so a small spend there. I don't do it often though.

Staff situation is sorted at work, new staff have started this week and seem nice. Lets hope it continues.

Finally, meal plan is going ok, last night was chicken chasseur, using up some chicken and old mushrooms/carrots from the bottom of the fridge. Leftovers for dinner tonight so no cooking required. Tomorrow will be something with mince, chilli or spag bol perhaps?

Tomorrow's plans include a really good tidy and clean of the house, you can tell we have been busy & tired and the place is ready for a good sort out. I'd like to make a start sorting through DD's bedroom too, I had a go at the office last week and would like to work from the top down. We have no moving date yet but have been told the buyers are working towards the 24th (!!!), fingers crossed it all goes smoothly from now on.

Happy Friday. WF.x
    Nov 17: Mortgage Balance 135 900
    Nov 19: Mortgage balance 107995
    Paid off 27 905 in 2 Years
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 10th Jan 20, 7:24 PM
    • 8,267 Posts
    • 35,667 Thanks
    lucielle
    Glad you've got the staff sorted out. Fingers crossed for the moving date.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 12th Jan 20, 6:45 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    woodfired
    Thanks Lucielle, feeling much better about the staff situation now.

I have done a rough freezer inventory this morning and noted down some potential recipes to use up the contents. Need to focus on using stuff up.

Yesterday I spent some time on the county council website organising 3 waste disposal permits for our van so I can have a good clear out and take any unwanted items (that aren't fit for CS) straight to the tip. They should be here later this week.

Dinner last night was spag bol, decluttering the freezer of one pack of mince. Enough meat sauce leftover to make a good sized lasagne that should do a couple of meals (tonight and tuesday).

Will need some fruit etc this week but plenty of meat and frozen veg to see us through. Keeping track of the pennies is going ok.x
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 12th Jan 20, 6:54 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    woodfired
    Also today I have attacked the top floor of the house. I've sorted through all the old paperwork (business paperwork), thrown out what I can and placed the stuff I need to keep in plastic underbed storage boxes. The paperwork can stay in these once we move as it will keep it dust free, tidy and easy to locate if needed. The fact they're clear means you can see whats inside.

I've got some stuff in the car to go to Mum's/the caravan tomorrow. I've several bags waiting to go to the tip and the rest of the stuff is sorted through and packed in boxes & bags for life. The big dresser in the office has been emptied ready to move.

I then moved to DD's room next door and have made a start sorting through her toys and having a general tidy & clean up. Still more to do in there but the job of moving already feels much more manageable as those were the worst rooms and the ones I was most worried about packing up.

Finally I hoovered round and sorted through some washing in our room so all looks tidy and clean ready for the week ahead.
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 14th Jan 20, 1:41 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    woodfired
    Afternoon.

It's grim up north!! The weather is filthy.

So it's not a bad thing that I'm in work all day. I've been quite productive this morning, interspersed with some not-so-productive spells of studying forensically rightmove pics of new house and creating pinterest boards for decor/colour schemes does anyone else do this?!!

I'm beginning, whisper it, to start to believe that we might actually pull this off and get to live in that house we've been stalking for the last 12 months. We haven't had any further alarming emails from buyers solicitors and they're talking dates now so maybe, just maybe, it will actually happen. I'm so distrustful of this selling process, we have had so many buyers pull out of houses we were selling that I won't believe it until it is all signed but, fingers crossed, for now its looking ok.

Elsewhere, I am collecting boxes and starting to fill them. Meal planning is going ok, need to get some lamb out of the freezer to put in the slow cooker tomorrow to make a hotpot.
    I'm trying to keep the house more organised through the week. Being out at 7.20am often with both children in tow is hard work but having everything, and I mean everything, laid out and ready to go makes life so much easier. This morning I even found time to lay the fire ready to just put a match to it when we walk in tonight. So welcome after a long day.

The real challenge is tonight, after a long day at work I struggle to find the energy to prep everything for tomorrow, I must keep going!
    • South coast
    • By South coast 14th Jan 20, 9:26 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    South coast
    Hi woodfired. You're not alone, it's been filthy in the south as well. Best of luck with getting the move finalised, keeping everything crossed for you....
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 15th Jan 20, 10:04 AM
    • 649 Posts
    • 4,319 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    This morning I even found time to lay the fire ready to just put a match to it when we walk in tonight.
    Originally posted by woodfired
    This is staggeringly well organised!

Mortgage Apr 18 417,894 BTL Mar 18 162,857
    Mortgage now --- 399,709 BTL now -- 161,802
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 16th Jan 20, 7:10 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    woodfired
    Hi South coast, thanks for popping in and thank you, we need all the good luck we can get at the minute.

Ha Floppy! It only happened once... most likely never to be repeated!
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 16th Jan 20, 7:16 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    woodfired
    This year is just dreadful and this week is a pretty bad example.

Funeral yesterday for victim of suicide, only a young lad with 2 children. Heartbreaking and such a waste. I wish he could have seen how many people's lives he touched. The church was packed.

Today we learned that our buyer is teetering on the edge of pulling out of the sale over the leased garden. She is very, very jumpy and is not sure at all whether to proceed.
    I have spent the day hovering over the phone and email but have heard nothing more. Hopefully no news is good news but I'm not too hopeful. I feel so guilty about our vendors who I know are all packed and ready to go, it falling through now would be a nightmare.

Finally, DH's van broke down tonight, gearbox failed and he was stuck in 1st gear. I had to go and collect him and van is abandoned in a car park. It will be recovered tomorrow.

Our luck has to change at some point surely?
    Last edited by woodfired; 16-01-2020 at 7:19 PM.
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 16th Jan 20, 9:32 PM
    • 8,267 Posts
    • 35,667 Thanks
    lucielle
    I have everything crossed for you.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 16th Jan 20, 10:03 PM
    • 10,207 Posts
    • 21,288 Thanks
    savingholmes
    HI Woodfired - I hope things turn back around in your favour. So sad about the funeral too and your relative with cancer.

Have you ever tried to buy out the leasehold? It's often possible. I must admit I don't even look at properties that aren't freehold.
    During 2020: Target 1) 25,121 to be repaid in 2020 (0%) Now down to 24,703 Target 2) repay 1450 off (OP 102.51) mortgage now 144872 @1.7% Target 3) Set up SIPPs Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - now done 4/52
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 17th Jan 20, 2:49 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    woodfired
    Thanks folks for the best wishes. I went to see the land agents today, they had spoken to our buyer yesterday and she was seemingly quite rude with them. There is no option to buy, it is owned by a large estate and the landowner has stressed that they must not dispose of any land. The land agents did stress that the gardens are for the enjoyment of the homeowners and will not be removed from the houses 'in our lifetime'. Hopefully this will put buyers mind at rest but who knows. Her solicitors are out of office til the midle of next week so we will be none the wiser til then. Meanwhile, it is affecting my ability to sleep somewhat.

Elsewhere, I have been playing with OP calculators for a 'just in case we don't move' scenario.
    If we pay all of our savings off the mortgage we could be mortgage free in under 3 years, perhaps as little as 2. That would be amazing. But not as amazing as living in the dream house sadly.

In food news I've had some minted lamb steaks in the freezer for a while because we haven't enjoyed eating them. Yesterday I chopped them and slow cooked with onions, carrots and mint jelly in some stock. They were a bit chewy when grilled but the slow cooker transformed them. I split the mixture between 3 foil trays and topped two with sliced potatoes before I ran out. So I improvised and used some frozen hash browns that I defrosted then broke up to create a topping. Baked til crispy it was an absolute hit! We ate two hotpots last night and the other is in the freezer.

Happy Friday, hope you all have a good weekend.x
    • Bennettxoxo
    • By Bennettxoxo 17th Jan 20, 3:59 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Bennettxoxo
    Fingers crossed for you Bennett! How stressful is moving house? It completely takes over your life I find! Hope everything works out for you!
    Originally posted by woodfired
    Wow woodfired, so much has happened since I last had a read of your diary.

I have everything crossed for your house move.

We finally got our mortgage sorted and completed on the 4 December (only 8 months after we viewed the house ).

Started up my own little diary today and will hopefully get a bit better at keeping up with reading everyone elses diaries now.
    Make 2020 in 2020 #29 77.24/2020
    MFW 2020 #71 0/1215
    Mortgage start: 121,500 Dec 19
    Emergency Fund: 3000/3000

• savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 17th Jan 20, 11:02 PM
    • 10,207 Posts
    • 21,288 Thanks
    savingholmes
    The lamb sounds like it worked out really well.

Frustrating re the sale - hope you get better news soon.
    During 2020: Target 1) 25,121 to be repaid in 2020 (0%) Now down to 24,703 Target 2) repay 1450 off (OP 102.51) mortgage now 144872 @1.7% Target 3) Set up SIPPs Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - now done 4/52
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 18th Jan 20, 6:34 AM
    • 242 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    woodfired
    Wow woodfired, so much has happened since I last had a read of your diary.

I have everything crossed for your house move.

We finally got our mortgage sorted and completed on the 4 December (only 8 months after we viewed the house ).

Started up my own little diary today and will hopefully get a bit better at keeping up with reading everyone elses diaries now.
    Originally posted by Bennettxoxo
    Ahh bless you, thank you.

So pleased for you completing on your house - how exciting! I hope you are settling in well and enjoyed your first Christmas in your new home.

I shall pop over and have a read of your diary.x
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 18th Jan 20, 6:35 AM
    • 242 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    woodfired
    The lamb sounds like it worked out really well.

Frustrating re the sale - hope you get better news soon.
    Originally posted by savingholmes
    Thanks SH for your support. I find writing this diary very therapeutic and I'm cheered up no end by everyone's good wishes. Thank you. x
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 18th Jan 20, 6:15 PM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 7,553 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    oh no!!
    I don't know how people can do that.... I hope she doesn't pull out x
    Mortgage restart June 2018 119950
    Re mortgage August 19 110470, HSBC 3000cc, Hfx 6500, NW 5150 M&S 1100,
    CC 16150 Mortgage 107900
    plus car 6000 , it's coming down
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 19th Jan 20, 4:41 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    woodfired
    Thanks MFD, me too. I've had a bit of a sleepless weekend and have been downstairs with a coffee by 6 each morning. On the plus side, its meant I've been quite productive!

Yesterday I cleaned upstairs, did 4 loads of washing (even got the bedding out on the line for a few hours), changed the beds and made a curry for tea. Then had a nice lunch out with Mum and Sisters using the vouchers I got them for Christmas. It was a lovely treat and we had a fab afternoon.

Today I have done the shop wholesaler order, done some work in the garden and had a sort out of the fridge. I've used a load of veg up out of the veg drawers in a huge vegetable bake. I roasted a bag of carrots, bag of parsnips and two big onions. I boiled some chopped potatoes, finely chopped broccoli stalks and leeks then added the broccoli florets, some peas and sliced savoy cabbage. Then I made a big pan of white sauce and stirred all the veg through it, topped with cheese and breadcrumbs (OOD bread chopped in DH's smoothie maker! ). It was really nice and a change from the usual soup to use up the veg. It was especially good for lunch after we had been out in the garden, it's been a beautiful day but FREEZING!
    I even had a bit of white sauce left so have stirred in some cheese and popped in the fridge. Nothing wasted and the kids can have that one night with pasta and some veg for a quick tea.

This afternoon we all wrapped up and borrowed my Sister's dog to go on a lovely walk around the hills and back through the woods. Millions of squirrels spotted and a couple of deer which is always a treat and a surprise given the noisy, non-stop wittering from DS!

Just home now to sit by the fire with a hot drink. Dinner is curry from yesterday so no cooking tonight and I've already sorted the packed lunches so only uniforms to organise. Looking forward to a night in front of the TV watching Call the Midwife. Love that program.
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 19th Jan 20, 4:58 PM
    • 8,267 Posts
    • 35,667 Thanks
    lucielle
    I love Call the Midwife as well! Took my dogs for a walk and they behaved disgracefully! They were definitely on the naughty step.
    L
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 19th Jan 20, 10:14 PM
    • 10,207 Posts
    • 21,288 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Dogs can really cheer you up though can't they. Have a good snuggle.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,174Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter