Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    • 13,483Posts
    • 36,792Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 6th Nov 17 at 3:30 PM
    MoneySavingExpert insert:

We've received reports that some posts on here possibly advocate fraud.

Please remember MoneySavingExpert is about saving money legally. If you're at all unsure please don't post.

Back to the original post...

-----

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-02-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 958
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 5th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    • 16,718 Posts
    • 281,727 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    I'm waiting for British Gas to come and replace my gas meter because it died. Apparently I'm joining the smart meter revolution. I was only saying to MG the other day that we needed to start keeping an eye on what we were using, now it looks like I'll be able to watch and count exactly what he uses
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 5th Feb 18, 4:48 PM
    • 16,095 Posts
    • 193,866 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Snap, give fourup a hug from us

AJ, I always think people who brag do so because they lack confidence and self esteem.... there is a reason your friend acted the way she did and when she did... Lots of maybes spring to mind. x

Sorry you were placed in this predicament when just trying to help people in need, you are an . What a totally insensitive friend.

I've had a rubbish few days, really low, but nothing I'm not use to, just have to see it through until things improve.
    Suppose I'm a bit upset new Compassionate Based Therapy is two thirds through and doesn't seem to be helping. It's meant to make me feel kinder to myself - not easy.

Had company round to quote for new softs/barge boards/guttering. Same as did Mum's new roof and all her softs etc. Owner James would not give me a quote Said my house was really complicated and would take at least 3 men 5 days or longer and would be really expensive.
    Asked for a quote anyway, just to get an idea, but he's not sent it.
    Suggested it would be better to get a firm that did windows and softs together, as I also need windows.

How can it be too complicated when he does huge roofs and extensions and conversions ?
    Originally posted by Saversue
    OMG SS... do you live in a castle. 15 days of labour is They could re-roof the house, do the gutters/boards, and replace the windows within that period of time.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 5th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 16,095 Posts
    • 193,866 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    For those lucky enough to be students with a NUS Extra card, you get $0% Off total bill Monday & Tuesday

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/pizza-express#deal34480

So 40% off before 50 Droid

Or pick up a student off the street, discount applies to groups up to 10.
    Originally posted by braveheart60uk
    I have a student that I can loan out to anyone and I mean anyone who wants him!

• Picasso7
    • By Picasso7 5th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 36,841 Thanks
    Picasso7
    I thought you were swearing and the thread was editing you
    Originally posted by braveheart60uk
    Much more interesting that what was actually happening . As I said, it happened when I edited a post on the iphone. I think I shall just remember not to edit rather than turn off smart punctuation as Apple will fix it before too long.
    Last edited by Picasso7; 05-02-2018 at 5:05 PM.
    • Saversue
    • By Saversue 5th Feb 18, 4:58 PM
    • 1,710 Posts
    • 23,691 Thanks
    Saversue
    OMG SS... do you live in a castle. 15 days of labour is They could re-roof the house, do the gutters/boards, and replace the windows within that period of time.[/QUOTE]

I wish - no. Was new-build when I moved in 23 years ago
    That's what I don't understand, this bloke and his men completely replaced Mum's roof etc a few months ago, maybe more than 3 of them, but was about 7 working days.
    • Saversue
    • By Saversue 5th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    • 1,710 Posts
    • 23,691 Thanks
    Saversue
    I'm waiting for British Gas to come and replace my gas meter because it died. Apparently I'm joining the smart meter revolution. I was only saying to MG the other day that we needed to start keeping an eye on what we were using, now it looks like I'll be able to watch and count exactly what he uses
    Originally posted by Dizzy Ditzy
    I found it awful to begin with, it's scary when you turn on the heating and see how much it costs per hour Strange thing with the gas, is the reading isn't instant like the electric, it's about half and hour behind.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 5th Feb 18, 5:15 PM
    • 19,475 Posts
    • 209,638 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    OMG SS... do you live in a castle. 15 days of labour is They could re-roof the house, do the gutters/boards, and replace the windows within that period of time.
    That's what I don't understand, this bloke and his men completely replaced Mum's roof etc a few months ago, maybe more than 3 of them, but was about 7 working days.[/QUOTE]

Have any of your neighbours had it replaced? Might he worth asking who they used?
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • mrsmac10
    • By mrsmac10 5th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    • 3,923 Posts
    • 54,327 Thanks
    mrsmac10
    Oh Mrs, bet he's missing you, those sales mean nowt if there is nothing to sell, nothing dispatched or no invoices.

You'll get there.
    Originally posted by pippo
    Thanks I got my fit note for 28 days and it will be no problem when I need another one

TBH I am in constant pain and it is easier when I am off so don't feel too guilty I was brought up work regardless and I have always done that so going for a fit note is stressful
    Retired
    • Saversue
    • By Saversue 5th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 1,710 Posts
    • 23,691 Thanks
    Saversue
    That's what I don't understand, this bloke and his men completely replaced Mum's roof etc a few months ago, maybe more than 3 of them, but was about 7 working days.
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    Have any of your neighbours had it replaced? Might he worth asking who they used?[/QUOTE]

Good Idea, most have been replaced or covered over.
    Recently have just been getting them covered with upvc trim and old wood is underneath.
    Can't see the point in that, as still rotten wood there, even though looks new.
    Will have to get more estimates, but just wanted to sort it out as easily and quickly as possible, besides now getting worried it will be far more expensive than I envisaged.
    • Saversue
    • By Saversue 5th Feb 18, 5:40 PM
    • 1,710 Posts
    • 23,691 Thanks
    Saversue
    Thanks I got my fit note for 28 days and it will be no problem when I need another one

TBH I am in constant pain and it is easier when I am off so don't feel too guilty I was brought up work regardless and I have always done that so going for a fit note is stressful
    Originally posted by mrsmac10
    I know where you are coming from, very stressful.
    In the end I was been given them and saying I didn't want them, wanted to work. But because I was off, couldn't go back without a fit note and they wouldn't give me one
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 5th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 26,401 Posts
    • 319,836 Thanks
    davemorton
    Afternoon peeps.

Yay! My beer from Adnams has just turned up.
    Originally posted by scamps1966
    YEY!!! At last!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 5th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 16,718 Posts
    • 281,727 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    I found it awful to begin with, it's scary when you turn on the heating and see how much it costs per hour Strange thing with the gas, is the reading isn't instant like the electric, it's about half and hour behind.
    Turns out that I'm not getting them today as the engineer didn't have it down as a smart meter job even though BG did so I've just got off the phone to them again to make a complaint. It's incredibly annoying that I get told one thing and a different thing happens

The whole reason for me agreeing to the smart meters was the ability to top up online - living in a rented house my LL had prepay meters put in and I don't have a choice

I'm quite intrigued to see what's what on the little read-y thing
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 5th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 27,774 Posts
    • 383,049 Thanks
    Tinyshoes

Recently have just been getting them covered with upvc trim and old wood is underneath.
    Will have to get more estimates, but just wanted to sort it out as easily and quickly as possible, besides now getting worried it will be far more expensive than I envisaged.
    You say that they replaced the whole of your mums roof. Maybe this job is not big enough for them in that the manpower it would take they could get more money same hours on a bigger job?

We had similar years ago for our rather large front porch. Anyway I remember a large well known firm quoting an absolutely ridiculous price more than double other quotes we got I was told at the time by someone it was just because they didn't want the work. We chose a smaller local firm in the end from the few we got. The other quotes were all a similar figure.

It did make me panic whether we could afford it as they were first to reply! I expect the guy doesn't want to waste his time quoting.
    Birds flying high, You know how I feel, Sun in the sky, You know how I feel,
    Reeds driftin' on by, You know how I feel

It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life, For me, And I'm feeling good...
    • pacifica9
    • By pacifica9 5th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 38,167 Thanks
    pacifica9
    Evening peeps.
    Hoping everyone is warm, happy and well. Hugs to those not so.
    Happy Birthday Fourp.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it. ~ Ferris Bueller
    • tweets
    • By tweets 5th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    • 29,413 Posts
    • 425,747 Thanks
    tweets
    Good Afternoon
    Lost 3st-9lb
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 5th Feb 18, 6:49 PM
    • 52,046 Posts
    • 622,247 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening all
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 350 for 2015, 2016 400 Actual345, 400 for 2017 Actual 500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :5 st 3 lb
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 5th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 37,303 Posts
    • 157,155 Thanks
    silvercar
    Go to T's to use my 10p off litre petrol and the petrol station is closed for refurbishment.

Tank nearly empty and the nearest T's with petrol is out of my way.
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 5th Feb 18, 7:21 PM
    • 34,866 Posts
    • 483,639 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Voucher codes

5 off 30 at Superdrug.

Might be handy for perfume if you have a birthday coming up
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 5th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    • 16,095 Posts
    • 193,866 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    That's what I don't understand, this bloke and his men completely replaced Mum's roof etc a few months ago, maybe more than 3 of them, but was about 7 working days.[/QUOTE]

Have any of your neighbours had it replaced? Might he worth asking who they used?
    Will have to get more estimates, but just wanted to sort it out as easily and quickly as possible, besides now getting worried it will be far more expensive than I envisaged.[/QUOTE]

I think TS is right, there is no way it should cost that amount. Unless you have a period house, or some very good reason not to us PVC... I would go with the cover up. Get a few quotes.
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 5th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    • 34,866 Posts
    • 483,639 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Go to T's to use my 10p off litre petrol and the petrol station is closed for refurbishment.

Tank nearly empty and the nearest T's with petrol is out of my way.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    How annoying

Guess what Im making?

Lunch for tomorrow with whoopsied bread

To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

25Posts Today

3,901Users online

Martin's Twitter