Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    • 13,480Posts
    • 36,790Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 6th Nov 17 at 3:30 PM
    MoneySavingExpert insert:

We've received reports that some posts on here possibly advocate fraud.

Please remember MoneySavingExpert is about saving money legally. If you're at all unsure please don't post.

Back to the original post...

-----

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-02-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 693
    • elainemn
    • By elainemn 5th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 49,486 Thanks
    elainemn
    Funnily enough I nearly called in as earlier Id seen loads of smoked salmon. No room in the inn......I mean freezer
    Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    Masses & masses of smoked salmon - 2 types - maple & extra smoked. Went to 1 pack.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 5th Jan 18, 4:56 PM
    • 5,445 Posts
    • 65,178 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Car insurance. Last year 291 less 26 cashback = 265. This year renewal quote is 297 but search engines are coming back with 525 cheapest. Current provider won't even provide a quote. What is going on?
    Originally posted by michaels
    This time it worked out much cheaper for me to auto-renew than to go elsewhere, despite the 10% price hike they inflicted, which sent me searching. Prices elsewhere were well over 150 more, figures I haven't seen in a long long time.

But I don't know why yours won't quote, sorry, hope you find something reasonable soon.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.

• michaels
    • By michaels 5th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    • 20,803 Posts
    • 96,359 Thanks
    michaels
    Have you:
    played with the excess?
    Manipulated your job title.
    Taken off the junk, such as legal cover, courtesy car, recovery etc
    Fully comp can sometimes be cheaper than 3rd party.
    Added a driver with better excess.
    Maybe miscalculated your annual mileage estimate.

I always check through the cashback sites, note the best 4 or 5 for each, then go and try to do it without going through their link that they get commission on.
    Also note the possible CB.

Go back to your renewal company with the best of the quotes and let them try to beat the quote (they have never managed it for me, always a new company each year).
    Originally posted by braveheart60uk
    Snap

I am wondering if it is because I put not quite me details into the search engines so as not to muck up any future quidco.tcb if I go direct and they are doing some sort of generic id check against the CRAs?

It is our second car, we only do less than 2k miles a year in it, it is worth less than 1500, we have 10 years ncd, one non-fault accident each in the last 5 years and live in a safe area and we are being quoted 30p mile for insurance
    Last edited by michaels; 05-01-2018 at 5:05 PM.
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 5th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 19,458 Posts
    • 209,540 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Car insurance. Last year 291 less 26 cashback = 265. This year renewal quote is 297 but search engines are coming back with 525 cheapest. Current provider won't even provide a quote. What is going on?
    Strange. Have you checked with the insurance companies that are not on the comparison websites?

We were trying to replace some floodlights today, forecast was good, we had to give up once we had finished one, the wind was gusting horrifically Gotta go back and try again sometime now.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • braveheart60uk
    • By braveheart60uk 5th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 2,246 Posts
    • 27,943 Thanks
    braveheart60uk
    Snap

I am wondering if it is because I put not quite me details into the search engines so as not to muck up any future quidco.tcb if I go direct and they are doing some sort of generic id check against the CRAs?
    I always put my correct details in and the quotes do vary from going through the comparison sites and going direct and sometimes when I go through cashback it has varied too. I normally take about 3 to 4 hours before I make a decision, also do it about a month before and save the results (they normally keep the quote "live" for 30 to 45 days)
    I actually sign in to the comparison sites, so my quotes from the year before just need a tweak.
    • braveheart60uk
    • By braveheart60uk 5th Jan 18, 5:15 PM
    • 2,246 Posts
    • 27,943 Thanks
    braveheart60uk
    Car Insurance
    I forgot that some companies give discount if you have home insurance with them and vice-versa.
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 5th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    • 10,078 Posts
    • 116,107 Thanks
    emerald21
    Works with any card
    Originally posted by Wheres My Cashback

Yes well mine didnt . Do you just place the phone on the pay thing and hope it goes beep or do you need to put the card in first please . I did both.
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 5th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    • 7,141 Posts
    • 59,068 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    ATMs AP
    I was looking here

http://www.nearestcashpoint.co.uk

Some of them state they have Mobile phone services.

I wonder if this means they have contactless.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • Wheres My Cashback
    • By Wheres My Cashback 5th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    • 2,991 Posts
    • 37,344 Thanks
    Wheres My Cashback
    Yes well mine didn!!!8217;t . Do you just place the phone on the pay thing and hope it goes beep or do you need to put the card in first please . I did both.
    Originally posted by emerald21
    Machine obviously not working then or you had your phone locked or put it in the wrong place...Card not required
    Last edited by Wheres My Cashback; 05-01-2018 at 5:37 PM.
    • pippo
    • By pippo 5th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 3,256 Posts
    • 34,386 Thanks
    pippo
    OMG that's my job for next week!
    • Wheres My Cashback
    • By Wheres My Cashback 5th Jan 18, 5:26 PM
    • 2,991 Posts
    • 37,344 Thanks
    Wheres My Cashback
    I was looking here

http://www.nearestcashpoint.co.uk

Some of them state they have Mobile phone services.

I wonder if this means they have contactless.
    Originally posted by fuzzgun19
    No, it means you can top up your mobile etc
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 5th Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    • 20,257 Posts
    • 264,696 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    And another fail

1x McVitie's Victoria Carton (600g) 4.00 N/A
    1x ASDA Smart Price Chocolate Chip Cookies (250g) 0.40 0.55
    0.17x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Banana (order by number of bananas or select kg) (per kg) 0.13 N/A
    1x Maoam Giant Strawberry Stripes (1pk) 0.10 0.10
    1x Haribo Starmix (1pk) 0.10 0.10
    1x Swizzels Refreshers Original Lemon Flavour (18g) 0.10 N/A
    0.06x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Carrot (order by number of carrots or select kg) (per kg) 0.04 0.03
    1x McVitie's Moments 12 Varieties (400g) 4.00 N/A
    1x Barratt Flumps (12g) 0.10 N/A
    Comparison total (compared products only) 0.64 0.78
    cheaper +0.14
    For your information:
    Asda Price Guarantee comparisons are based on prices correct as of date of delivery (online shoppers) or date of purchase (in store customers).
    Originally posted by mrs lds
    What was the M comp. on this shop? TIA.
    M lists - page 18 (on 40 posts per page setting) - Avs M: post 705-708 inclusive; Tvs M and "Buy in M": post 708 onwards.

3Dogs' lists - page 6, posts 210-214.
    • Bikertov
    • By Bikertov 5th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 9,928 Thanks
    Bikertov
    Anyone know of a cheap data sim for my mifi unit please. I was with the old T Mobile and I had 6 months internet for 20 . I dont think they do it anymore though Thanks
    Originally posted by emerald21
    How much data do you need ?

If you only need a little data, go for the Three free SIM, with 200MB free every month:

https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

I picked up the Three MiFi unit from Currys last week, and cancelled the contract so no charge Just using the free SIM in the link for now to try it out.
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 5th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    • 15,023 Posts
    • 257,220 Thanks
    Snap-ant

No more Renova Christmas loo rolls but their tissues are 37p

Squashies box 1.50

Our Family Motto ~
    If all else fails - read the instructions...

• Bikertov
    • By Bikertov 5th Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 9,928 Thanks
    Bikertov
    Afternoon Elite

I have just been trying to educate myself on maternity pay and salary sacrifice schemes (childcare vouchers specifically) and it's left me feeling very frustrated. Why do they have to make these things so complicated?!
    Originally posted by abailey54
    So you will give up and just not bother claiming ! I am very cynical these days.
    Originally posted by tbw
    Believe me, as an employer they are a PITA too, such an overhead to deal with.
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 5th Jan 18, 5:40 PM
    • 15,023 Posts
    • 257,220 Thanks
    Snap-ant

The Christmas Yankee Candles in Ts scan at 4 - I gave the one lonely box I found in the Pop section to a friend who 'loves' candles

Our Family Motto ~

• michaels
    • By michaels 5th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    • 20,803 Posts
    • 96,359 Thanks
    michaels
    Mystery solved, real details and price falls to 235 inc cashback Phew!
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 5th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 15,023 Posts
    • 257,220 Thanks
    Snap-ant

Going to a real auction tomorrow to bid for this

Our Family Motto ~

• michaels
    • By michaels 5th Jan 18, 5:43 PM
    • 20,803 Posts
    • 96,359 Thanks
    michaels
    How much data do you need ?

If you only need a little data, go for the Three free SIM, with 200MB free every month:

https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

I picked up the Three MiFi unit from Currys last week, and cancelled the contract so no charge Just using the free SIM in the link for now to try it out.
    Originally posted by Bikertov

Hmm - I wonder if they did a credit search - I normally restrict credit searches to 4 evenly spread over the year and look for at least 100 value in whatever offer I am taking up (stoozing credit card, bank account switch etc). Something to bear in mind?
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 5th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    • 15,023 Posts
    • 257,220 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    Did anyone go to B&M today for the 10p Christmas Sale?

I DO NOT NEED CHRISTMAS STUFF
    Our Family Motto ~

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,995Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin