Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    • 13,723Posts
    • 37,342Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 6th Nov 17 at 3:30 PM
    MoneySavingExpert insert:

We've received reports that some posts on here possibly advocate fraud.

Please remember MoneySavingExpert is about saving money legally. If you're at all unsure please don't post.

Back to the original post...

-----

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-02-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 2539
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 13th Oct 18, 7:10 PM
    • 17,816 Posts
    • 214,029 Thanks
    mhoc
    I am taking back any disparaging remarks I made about Hanley earlier in the week

We parked on Mr T and walked up to town - its all uphill, very steep and it was blowing a howling gale but I did notice for the first time how beautiful the Victorian buildings were - you just had to ignore the modern ones.

Best bit though was going to the shiny new Nationwide - we had not even realised that they had shut the old one and this was the first week of the shiny new one being open.
    It has open benches, chairs and tablets for customers usage, a nice seating area, a coffee machine and a very glossy new look. The chap said that all nationwides are getting a make- over over the next 4 years, wherever its possible. Not sure if that is exactly possible for the few branches I can think of - like trying to polish a t***

So that's the best tourist attraction in Hanley now - the new nationwide building society
    Last edited by mhoc; 13-10-2018 at 7:34 PM.
    Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.
    • Forgetful
    • By Forgetful 13th Oct 18, 7:33 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 9,759 Thanks
    Forgetful
    tweets ... have u managed to get any t mags?
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 13th Oct 18, 7:33 PM
    • 17,816 Posts
    • 214,029 Thanks
    mhoc
    The having deposited the cheque = with the princely sum of 38.92 in interest for a years saving, why do I bother ...
    We then went to Greggs to get our free bottles of Lucozade - OH now has the dire pumpkin latte as a reward on his app but refuses to redeem it - I don't think I would even give it to a homeless person, its so gross

Then we got the Harringtons dry cat food from Mr T which is half prices on shopimmums. This store sells all 4 of the flavours and its on offer for 4 each. I had one of those groupon offers a while back - get a 10 Mr T e voucher for 5 so I used that as part payment. So 16 in total - 6 money and 5 for the voucher total 11 and of that shopimmums will give me 8 cashback.
    So 8 kg of good quality cat food for a final total of 3

The only issue it that Harringtons have quite thin paper sacks which any of our cats could scratch their way through. It under the stairs for now but I think I need to seal them in a bags-for-life otherwise there will be under the stairs scoffing
    This stuff really smells strong so if the cats get wind of it there will be no stopping them!

The emmi is off the COS list today

Yes I have Mr T mags but I have no confidence of there being any baked crisps being in stock in any store in the entire country when he MOCs go live.

Next was the big Marks on the hill which still has masses of sale stuff - mainly trousers though and rails of fashion for larger ladies. I did find a nice white cardigan for 2.49 which even OH said was a good buy.
    And a digital skipping rope for 1.89 which will be an amusing Christmas gift for eldest child
    I used credit vouchers - I've got one expiring in November I need to whittle downwards.
    Also I took back a sheet I ordered for a credit note - very weird mottled material that looked like it would never iron flat.
    OH was quite happy with the long queue - he found the fizz and biscuit sampling lady in the food hall

Then we went to Wyevale to spend my 5 voucher they sent last night - there is very little in the under 10 range in that place. Mainly it was a choice between an African violet plant for 4.50 or some dubious over priced tasteless chocolates, some of which I recognized from Home Bargains.
    So I settled on a Crazy Cat lady mug for 6 so I only had 1 to pay.
    On the plus side the butchers counter were sampling some very delicious sausages every time we passed it

Then it was Ssainsburys for GJ items - activia yogurt and napolina sauce and blue diamond nuts for COS.

Finishing off with a late trip into town for a visit to Neros for hot chocolate and cake - the walnut and banana loaf is very nice and with the 00002 offer 2 for two slices is quite acceptable. OH blobs it with cream from his hot chocolate

Then it was Superdrug and home
    Last edited by mhoc; 13-10-2018 at 7:36 PM.
    Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.
    • tweets
    • By tweets 13th Oct 18, 7:37 PM
    • 30,282 Posts
    • 431,778 Thanks
    tweets
    tweets ... have u managed to get any t mags?
    Originally posted by Forgetful
    Yes they had loads in my store 2 pallet fulls thanks
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 13th Oct 18, 7:39 PM
    • 30,282 Posts
    • 431,778 Thanks
    tweets
    The having deposited the cheque = with the princely sum of 38.92 in interest for a years saving, why do I bother ...
    We then went to Greggs to get our free bottles of Lucozade - OH now has the dire pumpkin latte as a reward on his app but refuses to redeem it - I don't think I would even give it to a homeless person, its so gross

Then we got the Harringtons dry cat food from Mr T which is half prices on shopimmums. This store sells all 4 of the flavours and its on offer for 4 each. I had one of those groupon offers a while back - get a 10 Mr T e voucher for 5 so I used that as part payment. So 16 in total - 6 money and 5 for the voucher total 11 and of that shopimmums will give me 8 cashback.
    So 8 kg of good quality cat food for a final total of 3

The only issue it that Harringtons have quite thin paper sacks which any of our cats could scratch their way through. It under the stairs for now but I think I need to seal them in a bags-for-life otherwise there will be under the stairs scoffing
    This stuff really smells strong so if the cats get wind of it there will be no stopping them!

The emmi is off the COS list today

Yes I have Mr T mags but I have no confidence of there being any baked crisps being in stock in any store in the entire country when he MOCs go live.

Next was the big Marks on the hill which still has masses of sale stuff - mainly trousers though and rails of fashion for larger ladies. I did find a nice white cardigan for 2.49 which even OH said was a good buy.
    And a digital skipping rope for 1.89 which will be an amusing Christmas gift for eldest child
    I used credit vouchers - I've got one expiring in November I need to whittle downwards.
    Also I took back a sheet I ordered for a credit note - very weird mottled material that looked like it would never iron flat.
    OH was quite happy with the long queue - he found the fizz and biscuit sampling lady in the food hall

Then we went to Wyevale to spend my 5 voucher they sent last night - there is very little in the under 10 range in that place. Mainly it was a choice between an African violet plant for 4.50 or some dubious over priced tasteless chocolates, some of which I recognized from Home Bargains.
    So I settled on a Crazy Cat lady mug for 6 so I only had 1 to pay.
    On the plus side the butchers counter were sampling some very delicious sausages every time we passed it

Then it was Ssainsburys for GJ items - activia yogurt and napolina sauce and blue diamond nuts for COS.

Finishing off with a late trip into town for a visit to Neros for hot chocolate and cake - the walnut and banana loaf is very nice and with the 00002 offer 2 for two slices is quite acceptable. OH blobs it with cream from his hot chocolate

Then it was Superdrug and home
    Originally posted by mhoc

I looked in my store today and they had loads but like you say wait til moc's go live we will probably be
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • SweetnSavvy
    • By SweetnSavvy 13th Oct 18, 7:44 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 8,166 Thanks
    SweetnSavvy
    I just keep one copy of the W magazine and put the rest back once I've been through the till!
    Originally posted by Freewheeling
    I keep one copy of each mag in the bottom of my shopping bag and take these back into the store and rescan them again with the self scanners. This way they never run out of mags

SnS
    • Forgetful
    • By Forgetful 13th Oct 18, 8:02 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 9,759 Thanks
    Forgetful
    Yes they had loads in my store 2 pallet fulls thanks
    Originally posted by tweets
    good... I was gonna say can meet up and get u some from Didsbury... but i only managed 4 mags... dare not get any more in case i get told off..
    which is your local..?
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 13th Oct 18, 8:15 PM
    • 10,355 Posts
    • 118,011 Thanks
    emerald21
    good... I was gonna say can meet up and get u some from Didsbury... but i only managed 4 mags... dare not get any more in case i get told off..
    which is your local..?
    Can't you get a carrier bag and stick your head etc in the cardboard container and smuggle some in lol
    • tweets
    • By tweets 13th Oct 18, 8:16 PM
    • 30,282 Posts
    • 431,778 Thanks
    tweets
    programs to take screenshots
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 13th Oct 18, 8:18 PM
    • 30,282 Posts
    • 431,778 Thanks
    tweets
    which is your local..?

I got 25 in case I have to recycle some

Oldham Extra I got mine on way out had a spare bag put in bottom and put shopping over top to hide them
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • Forgetful
    • By Forgetful 13th Oct 18, 8:23 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 9,759 Thanks
    Forgetful
    Can't you get a carrier bag and stick your head etc in the cardboard container and smuggle some in lol
    Originally posted by emerald21
    Emerald... apparently I am too recognisable....

Example... went into PV once and the guy serving me asked if I go to the Slug and Lettuce... which I do... he recognised me from there.

After our burglary last year I went to get copies of kids birth cert,.. and out marriage cert. from registry office... went like end of May and kept on forgetting to go back to pick them up.... when I eventually remembered it was middle of Aug.. anyways went to the desk and was searching in my bag for the receipt... but the lady said... its ok I remember u coming in.....

need to get the Burka or somthing....
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 13th Oct 18, 8:41 PM
    • 4,481 Posts
    • 78,964 Thanks
    Chrisv
    Try me Free

https://www.branstonbeansoffer.co.uk/bean-challenge/
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it Donald Horban
    • Anon
    • By Anon 13th Oct 18, 8:45 PM
    • 13,365 Posts
    • 149,503 Thanks
    Anon
    OH has done it on his phone but we cant understand why its 2 free hot drinks.
    it says The Telegraph free hot drink expires 0ct 27th and then underneath it says send to a friend .

Not clicked that bit yet but if he clicks it and then sends it to my email address will it also appear on my nerooos app or will it just in an email?

I haven't done the above steps yet via my app - does getting sent a free drink, if it does send a free drink - will that stop me doing the above steps and then sending OH a drink?
    Send to a friend is a new feature in the app where you can send any of your vouchers to a friend. There is no value pressing that for the Tele promo as he needs to claim too so that you both get one free.

Two free if you are using the app for the first time as you can claim the welcome offer too, otherwise one.

HTH

Anon
    • Anon
    • By Anon 13th Oct 18, 8:50 PM
    • 13,365 Posts
    • 149,503 Thanks
    Anon
    I keep one copy of each mag in the bottom of my shopping bag and take these back into the store and rescan them again with the self scanners. This way they never run out of mags

SnS
    Originally posted by SweetnSavvy
    Much as I don't like waste, I am not sure I would want to be doing that instore as they have cameras everywhere, likewise putting them back on display - I appreciate you are not taking anything, but it would be a difficult one to explain away that you were scanning their magazines to hit the minimum spend to get a free coffee/newspaper/hit the minimum spend on a voucher ... more so than doing it normally.

Anon
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 13th Oct 18, 8:51 PM
    • 7,371 Posts
    • 60,667 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    Mhoc, I’m not keen on the pumpkin Gweggy either so for the free one I asked for no syrup, so it was just a latte with the cream n crumbs on top.
    I told the sa why and she was fine with it.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • Sunflower1227
    • By Sunflower1227 13th Oct 18, 9:09 PM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 22,229 Thanks
    Sunflower1227
    Thanks to save student site and O3 241 on cakes. I was bad and paid for extra cream

12.95. Down to 2.95, would have been 2.45 without cream extra

Originally posted by braveheart60uk

We did the same thing this afternoon, watching storm Callum through the caffe window
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
    • zippydooda
    • By zippydooda 13th Oct 18, 9:20 PM
    • 15,068 Posts
    • 239,421 Thanks
    zippydooda
    brill
    • aau1
    • By aau1 13th Oct 18, 9:40 PM
    • 18,942 Posts
    • 326,932 Thanks
    aau1
    Mrs aau1 has been getting that every day. She loves it!!
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 13th Oct 18, 9:49 PM
    • 20,246 Posts
    • 214,425 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Am I sad, I have been sitting here watching 4K videos on YouTube. Have to say, it really is very impressive, but not half as impressive as the Hypervsn "holographic" screen, has anyone else seen it on YouTube? It is impressive in 2D media, can't help but wonder what it would be like in real life. I have to say I want one!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Anon
    • By Anon 13th Oct 18, 9:55 PM
    • 13,365 Posts
    • 149,503 Thanks
    Anon
    I got The Tele for my free paper in W today - the till gave me a voucher for 7 days free access to Tele online .

Anon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,587Posts Today

7,906Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin