Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    • 13,650Posts
    • 37,083Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 6th Nov 17 at 3:30 PM
    MoneySavingExpert insert:

We've received reports that some posts on here possibly advocate fraud.

Please remember MoneySavingExpert is about saving money legally. If you're at all unsure please don't post.

Back to the original post...

-----

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-02-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 2031
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 9th Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    • 15,145 Posts
    • 258,382 Thanks
    Snap-ant

Thanks..
    I'm home but left him there Heart rate 150 & blood pressure 59/90
    Hopefully he might get a stent or a pacemaker ???

But I'm not going to Parents with That Sister, fortunately Other Sister has taken my place
    Our Family Motto ~
    If all else fails - read the instructions...

• Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 9th Jul 18, 5:54 PM
    • 16,825 Posts
    • 282,172 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    In the 70's when I first met the now Mr Pip we hitch hiked from South Wales to Bristol, which involved walking over the Severn Bridge,

Well I needed a wee so had what my mam would call a @country one' in the bushes.. I managed to lower myself down onto a bunch of nettles
    Originally posted by pippo
    I've done exactly the same, at the Bristol end of the bridge
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 9th Jul 18, 6:34 PM
    • 17,684 Posts
    • 212,955 Thanks
    mhoc
    That's what I'm contemplating!

By the way how's the errant one doing?
    Originally posted by pippo
    Errant son seems to be doing really well, passing all of his assessments and coping with everything, especially the food - that was our main worry, that he would whittle away.
    He was used to long hours, early starts and late finishes and working outside so he has taken it all in his stride.
    We went down the other weekend for family weekend and then he came home for 3 days, mostly not doing very much at home but he seemed to enjoy it and then went off back down again.
    So already he is half way through phase 1 - he has done another expedition lasting a few nights and they had a couple of nights in Belgium visiting war memorials and then its a week adventure training in Wales after wich its only 4 weeks until the final passout!

He had a bit of a throat infection over the weekend but eventually he went to the medics, strangely its only on one side so he has gone off with a course of strong painkillers to take
    Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 9th Jul 18, 6:50 PM
    • 15,145 Posts
    • 258,382 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    Electric Shocking him
    Our Family Motto ~
    If all else fails - read the instructions...

• bubbs
    • By bubbs 9th Jul 18, 6:53 PM
    • 52,885 Posts
    • 628,027 Thanks
    bubbs

Thanks..

But I'm not going to Parents with That Sister, fortunately Other Sister has taken my place
    Originally posted by Snap-ant
    Snap, you have so much going on at the moment wishing fourp well and please do not run yourself into the ground take care x
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 350 for 2015, 2016 400 Actual345, 400 for 2017 Actual 500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :5 st 4 lb
    • Sarahdol75
    • By Sarahdol75 9th Jul 18, 7:31 PM
    • 6,881 Posts
    • 91,858 Thanks
    Sarahdol75

Thanks..

Wishing him well snap, please look after yourself aswell xxx
    Walk 3000 miles in a year challenge 2018

835.4 miles 21.05.18
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 9th Jul 18, 7:44 PM
    • 20,039 Posts
    • 213,020 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Electric Shocking him
    Trying to get his heart back into a normal rhythm. They have several ways to go through if this one does not work.

Fingers crossed it works xx
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • tweets
    • By tweets 9th Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    • 30,083 Posts
    • 430,304 Thanks
    tweets
    Snap (((X)))

We should have had rain today not seen it been hot.

Had to throw loads veg away at work and delivery today refused not good

Mum got some of her stuff in flat including pics so should be happy seeing her belongings in room

Got home from work to be told by chap across road front and back fencing being done in 3 weeks they been around measuring today will be off then So hopefully should be done during long holidays
    Lost 3st-12.5lb
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 9th Jul 18, 8:10 PM
    • 16,368 Posts
    • 195,788 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Errant son seems to be doing really well, passing all of his assessments and coping with everything, especially the food - that was our main worry, that he would whittle away.
    He was used to long hours, early starts and late finishes and working outside so he has taken it all in his stride.
    We went down the other weekend for family weekend and then he came home for 3 days, mostly not doing very much at home but he seemed to enjoy it and then went off back down again.
    So already he is half way through phase 1 - he has done another expedition lasting a few nights and they had a couple of nights in Belgium visiting war memorials and then its a week adventure training in Wales after wich its only 4 weeks until the final passout!

He had a bit of a throat infection over the weekend but eventually he went to the medics, strangely its only on one side so he has gone off with a course of strong painkillers to take
    Originally posted by mhoc
    It is good to hear he is doing so well x

You must be very proud of him xxx
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 9th Jul 18, 8:48 PM
    • 7,311 Posts
    • 60,192 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    What kind of birthday treat is this???

I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 9th Jul 18, 10:43 PM
    • 26,722 Posts
    • 321,919 Thanks
    davemorton
    blimey, been quiet tonighty.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 9th Jul 18, 10:50 PM
    • 37,779 Posts
    • 159,050 Thanks
    silvercar
    Originally posted by fuzzgun19
    Must be standard, I had that around my birthday.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 9th Jul 18, 10:53 PM
    • 20,404 Posts
    • 265,897 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    It's just frustrating when other people get things wrong. Especially given all my attempts to try to make sure they are checking things properly so that they give me correct information. I've had a new direct debit set up as one of my deals is ending. The person at the company told me they would be taking a specific amount today and that it would be the same amount every month afterwards. Being specific and exact, I therefore transferred the precise amount over on Friday. Only to find the company has taken five pence more than the amount the staff member gave me over the phone and sent my account into debit. Despite me specifically, precisely and expressly asking them to confirm and reconfirm the precise amount that would be taken and that it was indeed the very same amount every month. "Are you sure?" I asked them. Yes, they said, the first payment is the same as the rest. Except that, as probably half-predicted, it is not. I bet it will now turn out to be five pence more.

It may have made a huge difference as my account has gone into debit, due to me transferring the amount they claimed would be taken, despite me not fully believing them because, as predicted, a non-autistic person on nearly every occasion gets it wrong, even when you ask them to check it and make sure they are correct they still, it seems, are incapable of doing so (maybe it's just this one person on this occasion - but, even so, it's frustrating when I've directed their attention - or had hoped that I had directed their attention - to checking the detail and they still got it wrong). It looks like, only fortunately and no thanks to the inaccurate person I spoke to at the utility company, it will work out alright. I've just checked - glad I decided even to log into my bank account due to me never fully trusting them to be right - my lack of trust proving to be totally justified and well-placed sadly (and I entirely expected whatever they said to turn out to be incorrect despite me adopting my usual approach of "believe it when I see it" but relying on them to be correct that, really, I knew they would never manage to be) - and the M&S account it seems does not require me to remain in credit (just fortunate it happens to be this one) and doesn't seem to impact on the 5% saver (if I can believe the information that I see online and trust that that might be correct) as I only needed to use the switch service and maintain two active DDs. There is an overdraft of minimum 500, the first 100 of which is interest-free.

Indeed, I'm now wondering whether, as the current account gives no interest itself, I ought to maintain a balance of in debit by 100 and put the 100 in an interest-bearing account (fwiw, of the few percent I can get having already gone up to the limit allowed in my other accounts, beyond which no interest is paid). That's if I could rely on people at utility companies to ensure their company took not a penny more than the amount the staff member said - I wouldn't even say it was an error as it's beyond a mere mistake - it's something given to me despite me specifically asking on the matter, more than once, during my phone call with them and doing all I possibly could to try to get them to be correct but still failing to achieve that from them - really, it's inexcusable at that stage: I specifically asked and, yes, I did remember the exact amount they gave me and took that down fully correctly - the mistake, as ever, is never mine. I would not have transferred the amount plus 5 pence when they told me that it was the plain amount - I transferred exactly what they claimed it would be but even then not fully convinced that they would have got it right (and sure enough they got it wrong - as usual with almost everyone else as well). Are people generally really incapable of doing a job properly or getting it accurate and correct? It seems they are.

Of course, the answer is for me not to be so precise next time and to transfer a little bit more money over just in case, as sadly expected (my expectations so low, but justfied and entirely well-founded again), they are wrong. However: (1) I ought to be able to rely on people being correct especially when asked on the specific point more than once*; (2) I transferred the precise amount hoping it would just be paid out along with another payment (my transfer covering the full amount of both according to the figures I have been given) and not having to go back and transfer an excess back later. Clearly next time I will need that excess as, whatever I was told before or even if I were to ring them now and ask, it could not be relied upon to be correct as it will almost inevitably be wrong (unless I happened to have the low chance of being put through to a member of staff who is autistic, in which case it would almost inevitably be right - clearly I, being autistic, am wrong on this and everyone else is right - wrongness and inaccuracy is right and accurate in this seemingly 'upside-down' world) and, as I do every time I am unsure precisely what amount will be taken, I will now transfer a little more next time so it will cover for (maybe I ought to let my account go up to 100 in debit at all times though - any views folks?) and then have to take time to transfer an excess back after the bill has been paid (really I ought to charge them for my extra time needed to cater for their impreciseness). I would have been annoyed and would have been making a complaint about them causing my account to go into debit despite assuring me (which failed to provide any assurance) what amount would be taken only for that to turn out, half-expected, not to be the case - it's clearly their wrong so they should put it right - except that, having now checked and it seems it won't affect anything, won't have me losing interest or seeing me being charge overdraft fees and then fees on fees when they cause my account to run into debit, it's just merely a little frustrating that people just seemingly can't get much at all right.

The Daily Mail or Mirror might call this sort of stuff "shocking". It's not - it fails to shock due to being entirely expected.

*they properly got bored of me doing so, and me being so repetitive on the matter: but it was for this precise reason that I knew whatever they said first time would be wrong. I already these days know from experience previously that people generally are almost always wrong. So I asked them to double-check and, even after allegedly looking at the computer again, they were still wrong. (Just can't get the staff or get them to be right can I?)
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 09-07-2018 at 11:14 PM.
    M lists - page 18 (on 40 posts per page setting) - Avs M: post 704-707 inclusive; "Buy in M": post 707 onwards.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 9th Jul 18, 11:16 PM
    • 20,404 Posts
    • 265,897 Thanks
    Savvybuyer

A "treat" that gets you spending money on clothing (or etc.) you would not have bought at all at full price?

And it presses you to do so within the next month! Ignore.
    M lists - page 18 (on 40 posts per page setting) - Avs M: post 704-707 inclusive; "Buy in M": post 707 onwards.
    • tweets
    • By tweets 10th Jul 18, 6:21 AM
    • 30,083 Posts
    • 430,304 Thanks
    tweets
    Good Morning
    Lost 3st-12.5lb
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 10th Jul 18, 7:07 AM
    • 52,885 Posts
    • 628,027 Thanks
    bubbs
    Morning all
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 350 for 2015, 2016 400 Actual345, 400 for 2017 Actual 500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :5 st 4 lb
    • elainemn
    • By elainemn 10th Jul 18, 7:17 AM
    • 3,426 Posts
    • 50,954 Thanks
    elainemn
    Good morning. Has anyone got the kettle on. I am desperate for a nice cup of tea but have no milk apart from those horrid little sachets.
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 10th Jul 18, 7:18 AM
    • 3,264 Posts
    • 33,989 Thanks
    curl girl

I think a lot of stores are cutting back.
    I've had no vouchers from any of the supermarkets either.
    By the way Happy Birthday.

Morning peeps.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
    • hornetgirl
    • By hornetgirl 10th Jul 18, 7:19 AM
    • 5,602 Posts
    • 73,086 Thanks
    hornetgirl
    Morning all

Hope fourp is ok

Off to the swimming pool shortly. This will probably be the one time the water isn't on the chilly side

Stay cool everyone and make sure your pets do too.
    Unity is strength...Knowledge is power...Attitude is everything

MF 30 June 2010

Everything is fleeting, everything will change
    • mrsmac10
    • By mrsmac10 10th Jul 18, 7:25 AM
    • 4,058 Posts
    • 55,530 Thanks
    mrsmac10
    Good morning all

It would appear we have heavy(ish) rain forecast

Neighbour has said she will water plants when we are away She is an

Snap Hope fourp is better today

Baby sitting this morning, so will catch you laters
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,914Posts Today

6,740Users online

Martin's Twitter