Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    • 13,846Posts
    • 37,617Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 6th Nov 17 at 3:30 PM
    MoneySavingExpert insert:

We've received reports that some posts on here possibly advocate fraud.

Please remember MoneySavingExpert is about saving money legally. If you're at all unsure please don't post.

Back to the original post...

-----

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-02-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 1516
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 14th Apr 18, 2:01 AM
    • 20,703 Posts
    • 268,446 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Of course, I distracted myself into a tangent of rambling and forgot to say what I meant to say.

Now this website has somehow transferred me to another website (albeit apparently 'owned' by MSE itself) and I've lost what I was posting. I won't be able to rewrite what I was saying but maybe this will make me succinct - whilst a 50p A price vs 50p competitor that comes out best overall is just 5p off (or 5p back) where it really comes into its own is with the glitches we get.

I was then on about the fact it's not always about targetted shops, but if you need vouchers in the first place to be able to buy items - those would be APG vouchers and you would then be having to use them at A and could just pay A's prices as A, whilst not always cheap, isn't a generally expensive supermarket across the range. Although competitors can go to better prices - for example half price is often better than A's rollbacks at 1, whilst A might give a low amount off (especially if the offer price of the competitor is lower, 10% is then lower) if a target shop is done at the time of the competitor offer plus a slight delay, you may need real cash to buy from the competitor - so might be better sometimes to buy at A's rollback price when on rollback there and just buy the one or two items with a womble. It's effectively free money to spend at A, which would need real cash to buy from the competitor.

I don't always buy at A though - on some or even many occasions particularly with essential items, one place or another - and it is a different place on each so still need to shop around and buy each at the best place - is cheaper than A on some non-comparable item, different pack size etc. no equivalent at A, and I'll buy the item at the place that has the lowest price. I can't buy at A and compare to Aldi for example. And S may be cheaper on Basics Chicken Pies as A doesn't have S/price. Buying a more expensive item at A would still be worse off, even if with a womble, as whether womble or real cash it is all the same as if the value was real cash. So you'd be best using the womble to buy more cheaper items at A, on which A was best, and then paying less cash at elsewhere rather than necessarily buying a more expensive product of same type at A with the womble and then not being able to buy the cheaper items that you would have bought at A and still needing cash to buy them from somewhere (as you still need those items).

I normally buy my Chicken Pies (if I buy them at all) from T - I don't know why as they seem to have very little chicken and have to be prised away from their foil once cooked which generally ruins them - I have been having to buy 4 Minced Beef & Onion from M as cheapest pies recently - but recently bought one pack of Chicken Pies from S - and, at same price as T, was much better - more chicken it seemed to me and came out of the foil easily. I was buying from T to get CC points, but only bought from S of course as I had an exact 2.50 in Nectars to spend (I know you can double up but I never need to buy any of the non-grocery items ever anyway so just prefer to spend the 2.50 or 5 and do so on the few items on which S actually is 'good' value). In fact it was my third S that happened to have the pies, after trying two stores that had no stock of "sale items". It wasn't really costing me to travel to different stores as I was walking and getting my exercise by walking around my local area. I finally bought something when at my final store and given the final option of what items I was able to buy that day. It was the only one that had the pies - I wondered whether to spend the 2.50 on a shop at all or to leave with nothing and then be able to buy the 50p Rapeseed Oil later that my first store was OOS but might come back into stock and have no Nectar points to spend if I did a shop now. I think I made the right choice though - of apparently also buying a large bag of sweets on the day their offer seems to have ended - as I went back to my store with the Rapeseed Oil SEL on sale, whilst stocks last, that I was told was something that might come back into the store later - and I don't think I will ever catch up with it later as now no trace at all in the store. No Rapeseed Oil there (of the right one) and SEL has completely gone as well now.

I may buy two more packs of pies at S when I have freezer space back later, now I have another exact 2.50. Of course 50p on something else preferably without buying anything that is more expensive at S than elsewhere. Or I will buy Mince Beef & Onion in future from M as I generally like M more than S that are usually v.expensive on quite a lot of things in my view and just don't really like S or T that much. Think I won't buy Eday Chicken pies at T anymore as they are not as good as the Basics ones currently are at S. Unless this "negative feedback" on the internet maybe gets seen by T and they change their pies in response - you never know!

I mentioned nothing about chicken pies, or rapeseed oil, in my OP that I lost. I don't know why I ramble. (Or, rather, keep editing my post to add further thoughts, that then make me ramble.)
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 14-04-2018 at 2:23 AM.
    • scamps1966
    • By scamps1966 14th Apr 18, 3:53 AM
    • 5,495 Posts
    • 96,353 Thanks
    scamps1966
    It's Grand National Day Tomorrow. We have done it in the past, so against my better judgement, as I am carp at organising things, we should try to raise some money for good causes. Usual rules apply. Pick a number, copy the list (highlight, then press Ctrl 'C'), then paste it into a new post (press Ctrl 'V') and I will do my best to keep up with the chaos. I will request someone as my trusty person who will keep a copy list to the horses/corresponding numbers to make sure I don't cheat. The winner gets to choose the cause and we all pay our 2 to that cause. I hope im not breaking any forum rules, as all charity links/donation links will be put onto the relevant forum section. As ever there's no obligation to take part at all, and if it all goes breastage up, blame Bubbs Oh, and if you pick a non runner/donkey/3 legged albatross, tough!
    1. Anon
    2.Hillbern
    4. hippychicky
    5.Michaels
    8. Diluvsdiscounts
    10. cjj
    11. TM
    12. JTS
    13. TS
    14. SnS
    15. Hornetgirl
    16. Sarahdol75
    17. juju17
    19. pacifica9
    22. Pandoraskids
    25. Locarr
    27. AJ (tweets spending your money again )
    28. Lfab
    29. Chrisv
    30. Tweets
    31. BarleySugar
    33. MKS
    35.curl girl
    37.Scamps .
    39.MrsJoJo
    40 its a secret 66
    Originally posted by davemorton
    Morning peeps.
    • 3Dogs
    • By 3Dogs 14th Apr 18, 3:54 AM
    • 13,446 Posts
    • 145,930 Thanks
    3Dogs
    It's Grand National Day Tomorrow. We have done it in the past, so against my better judgement, as I am carp at organising things, we should try to raise some money for good causes. Usual rules apply. Pick a number, copy the list (highlight, then press Ctrl 'C'), then paste it into a new post (press Ctrl 'V') and I will do my best to keep up with the chaos. I will request someone as my trusty person who will keep a copy list to the horses/corresponding numbers to make sure I don't cheat. The winner gets to choose the cause and we all pay our 2 to that cause. I hope im not breaking any forum rules, as all charity links/donation links will be put onto the relevant forum section. As ever there's no obligation to take part at all, and if it all goes breastage up, blame Bubbs Oh, and if you pick a non runner/donkey/3 legged albatross, tough!
    1. Anon
    2.Hillbern
    4. hippychicky
    5.Michaels
    7. 3Dogs
    8. Diluvsdiscounts
    10. cjj
    11. TM
    12. JTS
    13. TS
    14. SnS
    15. Hornetgirl
    16. Sarahdol75
    17. juju17
    19. pacifica9
    22. Pandoraskids
    25. Locarr
    28. Lfab
    29. Chrisv
    30. Tweets
    31. BarleySugar
    33. MKS
    35.curl girl
    37. scamps
    39.MrsJoJo
    40 its a secret 66

Added you in as did at same time it seems scamps
    Mr 3Dogs 3-7-12 3Dogs'Mam 31-3-13
    • Woolco
    • By Woolco 14th Apr 18, 4:05 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    Woolco
    Of course, I distracted myself into a tangent of rambling and forgot to say what I meant to say.

Now this website has somehow transferred me to another website (albeit apparently 'owned' by MSE itself) and I've lost what I was posting. I won't be able to rewrite what I was saying but maybe this will make me succinct - whilst a 50p A price vs 50p competitor that comes out best overall is just 5p off (or 5p back) where it really comes into its own is with the glitches we get.

I was then on about the fact it's not always about targetted shops, but if you need vouchers in the first place to be able to buy items - those would be APG vouchers and you would then be having to use them at A and could just pay A's prices as A, whilst not always cheap, isn't a generally expensive supermarket across the range. Although competitors can go to better prices - for example half price is often better than A's rollbacks at 1, whilst A might give a low amount off (especially if the offer price of the competitor is lower, 10% is then lower) if a target shop is done at the time of the competitor offer plus a slight delay, you may need real cash to buy from the competitor - so might be better sometimes to buy at A's rollback price when on rollback there and just buy the one or two items with a womble. It's effectively free money to spend at A, which would need real cash to buy from the competitor.

I don't always buy at A though - on some or even many occasions particularly with essential items, one place or another - and it is a different place on each so still need to shop around and buy each at the best place - is cheaper than A on some non-comparable item, different pack size etc. no equivalent at A, and I'll buy the item at the place that has the lowest price. I can't buy at A and compare to Aldi for example. And S may be cheaper on Basics Chicken Pies as A doesn't have S/price. Buying a more expensive item at A would still be worse off, even if with a womble, as whether womble or real cash it is all the same as if the value was real cash. So you'd be best using the womble to buy more cheaper items at A, on which A was best, and then paying less cash at elsewhere rather than necessarily buying a more expensive product of same type at A with the womble and then not being able to buy the cheaper items that you would have bought at A and still needing cash to buy them from somewhere (as you still need those items).

I normally buy my Chicken Pies (if I buy them at all) from T - I don't know why as they seem to have very little chicken and have to be prised away from their foil once cooked which generally ruins them - I have been having to buy 4 Minced Beef & Onion from M as cheapest pies recently - but recently bought one pack of Chicken Pies from S - and, at same price as T, was much better - more chicken it seemed to me and came out of the foil easily. I was buying from T to get CC points, but only bought from S of course as I had an exact 2.50 in Nectars to spend (I know you can double up but I never need to buy any of the non-grocery items ever anyway so just prefer to spend the 2.50 or 5 and do so on the few items on which S actually is 'good' value). In fact it was my third S that happened to have the pies, after trying two stores that had no stock of "sale items". It wasn't really costing me to travel to different stores as I was walking and getting my exercise by walking around my local area. I finally bought something when at my final store and given the final option of what items I was able to buy that day. It was the only one that had the pies - I wondered whether to spend the 2.50 on a shop at all or to leave with nothing and then be able to buy the 50p Rapeseed Oil later that my first store was OOS but might come back into stock and have no Nectar points to spend if I did a shop now. I think I made the right choice though - of apparently also buying a large bag of sweets on the day their offer seems to have ended - as I went back to my store with the Rapeseed Oil SEL on sale, whilst stocks last, that I was told was something that might come back into the store later - and I don't think I will ever catch up with it later as now no trace at all in the store. No Rapeseed Oil there (of the right one) and SEL has completely gone as well now.

I may buy two more packs of pies at S when I have freezer space back later, now I have another exact 2.50. Of course 50p on something else preferably without buying anything that is more expensive at S than elsewhere. Or I will buy Mince Beef & Onion in future from M as I generally like M more than S that are usually v.expensive on quite a lot of things in my view and just don't really like S or T that much. Think I won't buy Eday Chicken pies at T anymore as they are not as good as the Basics ones currently are at S. Unless this "negative feedback" on the internet maybe gets seen by T and they change their pies in response - you never know!

I mentioned nothing about chicken pies, or rapeseed oil, in my OP that I lost. I don't know why I ramble. (Or, rather, keep editing my post to add further thoughts, that then make me ramble.)
    Originally posted by Savvybuyer
    Hi. Well thanks again for this. I don't see it as rambling. I love this information. Will take everything onboard and see what I am doing but if I am honest, the asda price guarantee is probably not how I can stretch my money too much. When I go down there, I will try the womble but as I say I don't see till receipts as most of the trolleys are in the shopping centre. They have wheels that lock when you try to go outside to taxi rank. So Savvybuyer thanks again.
    • pandoraskids
    • By pandoraskids 14th Apr 18, 6:23 AM
    • 798 Posts
    • 35,424 Thanks
    pandoraskids
    Hi. Well thanks again for this. I don't see it as rambling. I love this information. Will take everything onboard and see what I am doing but if I am honest, the asda price guarantee is probably not how I can stretch my money too much. When I go down there, I will try the womble but as I say I don't see till receipts as most of the trolleys are in the shopping centre. They have wheels that lock when you try to go outside to taxi rank. So Savvybuyer thanks again.
    Originally posted by Woolco
    Check the reduced counter - you can get some real bargains, especially if you go later in the day
    Pandora's Little Sister 30/11/17 x
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 14th Apr 18, 6:32 AM
    • 7,077 Posts
    • 41,791 Thanks
    determined new ms
    1. Anon
    2.Hillbern
    4. hippychicky
    5.Michaels
    7. 3Dogs
    8. Diluvsdiscounts
    10. cjj
    11. TM
    12. JTS
    13. TS
    14. SnS
    15. Hornetgirl
    16. Sarahdol75
    17. juju17
    19. pacifica9
    22. Pandoraskids
    24. determined new ms
    25. Locarr
    28. Lfab
    29. Chrisv
    30. Tweets
    31. BarleySugar
    33. MKS
    35.curl girl
    37. scamps
    39.MrsJoJo
    40 its a secret 66
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • elainemn
    • By elainemn 14th Apr 18, 6:43 AM
    • 3,619 Posts
    • 52,801 Thanks
    elainemn
    1. Anon
    2.Hillbern
    4. hippychicky
    5.Michaels
    7. 3Dogs
    8. Diluvsdiscounts
    10. cjj
    11. TM
    12. JTS
    13. TS
    14. SnS
    15. Hornetgirl
    16. Sarahdol75
    17. juju17
    18. Classy_Chick06
    19. pacifica9
    20. elainemn
    22. Pandoraskids
    24. determined new ms
    25. Locarr
    28. Lfab
    29. Chrisv
    30. Tweets
    31. BarleySugar
    33. MKS
    35.curl girl
    37. scamps
    39.MrsJoJo
    40 its a secret 66
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    Good morning. Can I have number 20 please.
    Last edited by elainemn; 14-04-2018 at 6:56 AM.
    • Classy_Chick06
    • By Classy_Chick06 14th Apr 18, 6:48 AM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 63,360 Thanks
    Classy_Chick06
    1. Anon
    2.Hillbern
    4. hippychicky
    5.Michaels
    7. 3Dogs
    8. Diluvsdiscounts
    10. cjj
    11. TM
    12. JTS
    13. TS
    14. SnS
    15. Hornetgirl
    16. Sarahdol75
    17. juju17
    18.Classy_Chick06
    19. pacifica9
    22. Pandoraskids
    24. determined new ms
    25. Locarr
    28. Lfab
    29. Chrisv
    30. Tweets
    31. BarleySugar
    33. MKS
    35.curl girl
    37. scamps
    39.MrsJoJo
    40 its a secret 66
    Originally posted by determined new ms

Morning guys, No 18 please.x
    It`s nice to be important, but its more important to be nice.
    The world is full of people throwing stones at us. Its what you do with them that counts. Build a wall or build a bridge.
    • elainemn
    • By elainemn 14th Apr 18, 6:51 AM
    • 3,619 Posts
    • 52,801 Thanks
    elainemn
    I had a Saturday job in Woollies. I started off in Fancy goods, moved onto pick and mix and ended up on the deli. I couldn't work the scales so just put whatever I thought in a bag
    Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    My Saturday job was in Boots. I loved it.

TM - last night at my A, there was another satsuma mountain but this time the nets. Must have been 8 tubs reduced to 5p. We were all being encouraged to take AMAP and there was still 4 full tubs when we had all filled our trollies.
    Last edited by elainemn; 14-04-2018 at 7:00 AM.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 14th Apr 18, 6:55 AM
    • 5,445 Posts
    • 65,179 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Good morning all

All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.

• elainemn
    • By elainemn 14th Apr 18, 7:01 AM
    • 3,619 Posts
    • 52,801 Thanks
    elainemn
    Morning guys, No 18 please.x
    Originally posted by Classy_Chick06
    Can you add my number 20 to your list please - think our posts crossed. thanks
    • hornetgirl
    • By hornetgirl 14th Apr 18, 7:06 AM
    • 5,689 Posts
    • 73,944 Thanks
    hornetgirl
    Think I've just seen hornetgirl in the Graham Norton audience

Morning all
    Off on our train/cat adventure now
    Unity is strength...Knowledge is power...Attitude is everything

MF 30 June 2010

Everything is fleeting, everything will change
    • elliemoo
    • By elliemoo 14th Apr 18, 7:14 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 47,468 Thanks
    elliemoo
    Originally Posted by determined new ms View Post
    1. Anon
    2.Hillbern
    4. hippychicky
    5.Michaels
    7. 3Dogs
    8. Diluvsdiscounts
    9. elliemoo
    10. cjj
    11. TM
    12. JTS
    13. TS
    14. SnS
    15. Hornetgirl
    16. Sarahdol75
    17. juju17
    18.Classy_Chick06
    19. pacifica9
    20. elainemn
    22. Pandoraskids
    24. determined new ms
    25. Locarr
    28. Lfab
    29. Chrisv
    30. Tweets
    31. BarleySugar
    33. MKS
    35.curl girl
    37. scamps
    39.MrsJoJo
    40 its a secret 66
    • elliemoo
    • By elliemoo 14th Apr 18, 7:15 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 47,468 Thanks
    elliemoo
    Good morning all, happy Saturday.

Footie match last night so free morning
    • rhosynbach
    • By rhosynbach 14th Apr 18, 7:19 AM
    • 7,591 Posts
    • 117,595 Thanks
    rhosynbach
    Originally Posted by determined new ms View Post
    1. Anon
    2.Hillbern
    4. hippychicky
    5.Michaels
    7. 3Dogs
    8. Diluvsdiscounts
    9. elliemoo
    10. cjj
    11. TM
    12. JTS
    13. TS
    14. SnS
    15. Hornetgirl
    16. Sarahdol75
    17. juju17
    18.Classy_Chick06
    19. pacifica9
    20. elainemn
    22. Pandoraskids
    24. determined new ms
    25. Locarr
    28. Lfab
    29. Chrisv
    30. Tweets
    31. BarleySugar
    32. Rhosynbach
    33. MKS
    35.curl girl
    37. scamps
    39.MrsJoJo
    40 its a secret 66

Hope I have done this right xx
    • lesliejack
    • By lesliejack 14th Apr 18, 7:54 AM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 11,598 Thanks
    lesliejack
    I'll cuddle up under Scamps............. number 38 please. x
    essex girl in exile
    • nanx4
    • By nanx4 14th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 2,841 Thanks
    nanx4
    Morning

Could i have no 21 please
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 14th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    • 10,532 Posts
    • 119,454 Thanks
    emerald21
    Good Morning all

Could I have number 3 please if someone could kindly do it as of course I don't know how

I won it one year too
    • hampydoodums
    • By hampydoodums 14th Apr 18, 8:17 AM
    • 3,344 Posts
    • 48,444 Thanks
    hampydoodums
    Thank you for this hampy but I'm still having no luck
    When you say relaunch the app do you mean just log out and log in again or should I delete and reinstall?
    Morning luvlies

Glad you got it sorted now. Yes the hot drink code is very handy too

Also on COS there are 5 Mash Direct products on BOGOF but only from Morrison's.

Sometimes you see them in the reduced to clear fridge - our store has them with the "Free from" section so its not easy to find them.

Months back I found a pile of MOCs for mash Direct in our bigger Morrisons - only 25p but with very long use by dates and I still have 4 left . Errant son likes the vegetable bakes, very big thick burger shaped things that go well to bulk out meals like sausages and chops.
    Originally posted by mhoc
    I bought 4 packs of the cauli cheese last night which were reduced to 7p each and separated them into 2 transactions, 2 in each shop, and put them through the tills in the middle of the shops amongst loads of other whoopsied items, each shop came to about 6.

When I uploaded the receipts I claimed for 2 each time as I had bought 2 in each shop, expecting to get 1.80 back for each transaction. As the offer is buy 2 get 1.80 back I should have only claimed 1, not 2, they paid out 3.60 on each shop

2 of our cats went out in the garden after supper for a bit of a meander - I think they were just relieved that it wasn't raining, snowing, hailing ...and they were enjoying the light night.
    Then we noticed by the shed the fox had arrived. He sat for ages sniffing and tasting the air and waiting for the cats to move on. The cats and the fox were aware of each other but neither were bothered. Then as the cats were not going in the fox just ambled off back into the field ...
    Originally posted by mhoc
    We've been feeding our fox right through the winter and into this long cold and wet spring. She sits on our patio each night waiting for her bowl of scraps. She's become more timid and when we go to open the door she runs off then comes back again, she's even frightened of Stanley Boy! When DH and I go whoopsie shopping and see something in the fridges which she may like and that we probably wouldn't eat and it's been sitting there for a while as nobody else has picked it up, we get it for her. As one of us takes it we say 'oh Amelia will like that', as in Amelia Fox Last night she had half a gala pork pie but left the pastry
    Nanny to 2 Cherubs
    • tweets
    • By tweets 14th Apr 18, 8:26 AM
    • 30,858 Posts
    • 436,679 Thanks
    tweets
    Good Morning
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,869Posts Today

7,645Users online

Martin's Twitter