Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    • 13,837Posts
    • 37,592Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 6th Nov 17 at 3:30 PM
    MoneySavingExpert insert:

We've received reports that some posts on here possibly advocate fraud.

Please remember MoneySavingExpert is about saving money legally. If you're at all unsure please don't post.

Back to the original post...

-----

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-02-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 1514
    • MKS
    • By MKS 13th Apr 18, 10:18 PM
    • 10,040 Posts
    • 153,172 Thanks
    MKS
    And for those that are new to the site that dont have a clue what is going on. The 'owner' of the winning horse chooses a charity, then I set up a just giving (or virgin giving etc) link to their chosen charity, and people just pay their 2's direct to that. Done it for about 4-5 years now. Think last year was rained off but not sure.
    Lurkers/occasional posters are also more than welcome to take part.
    Originally posted by davemorton
    Has been going on for a few years. Everyone welcome, sure Dave will set up No 2 betting when this one is full. Come on everyone, join in. It may not be for your cause but it will be for someone's. A charity benefits from us through a bit of fun. Good luck everyone. !!!128512;
    • Woolco
    • By Woolco 13th Apr 18, 10:19 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Woolco
    Hi everybody. I was wondering if I could ask a MASSIVE favour. I have become unemployed and hope this is only for temporary reasons. As I have time on my hands I am walking during the day to keep busy. I am trying to make my Jobseeker's Allowance go far and so have time to visit all the supermarkets really. Apart from J Sainsbury, they are all within 45 minutes walk. I have put Greenjinn, Checkoutsmart and Shopmium on my phone. Using these I am saving money but also mainly shopping at Tesco and using their brand match on goods cheaper elsewhere. I know the Asda one is 10% cheaper but it seems too complicated. Can you give me any more tips to get my 73 benefit stretching further?

Thankyou, gracias, merci, danke, grazie......
    • MKS
    • By MKS 13th Apr 18, 10:20 PM
    • 10,040 Posts
    • 153,172 Thanks
    MKS
    It's Grand National Day Tomorrow. We have done it in the past, so against my better judgement, as I am carp at organising things, we should try to raise some money for good causes. Usual rules apply. Pick a number, copy the list (highlight, then press Ctrl 'C'), then paste it into a new post (press Ctrl 'V') and I will do my best to keep up with the chaos. I will request someone as my trusty person who will keep a copy list to the horses/corresponding numbers to make sure I don't cheat. The winner gets to choose the cause and we all pay our 2 to that cause. I hope im not breaking any forum rules, as all charity links/donation links will be put onto the relevant forum section. As ever there's no obligation to take part at all, and if it all goes breastage up, blame Bubbs Oh, and if you pick a non runner/donkey/3 legged albatross, tough!
    2.Hillbern
    4. hippychicky
    8. Diluvsdiscounts
    10. cjj
    11. TM
    12. JTS
    13. TS
    15. Hornetgirl
    16. Sarahdol75
    17. juju17
    19. pacifica9
    22. Pandoraskids
    25. Locarr
    29. Chrisv
    30. Tweets
    31. BarleySugar
    33. MKS
    35.curl girl
    39.MrsJoJo
    What number are you taking, Dave?
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 13th Apr 18, 10:20 PM
    • 20,703 Posts
    • 268,446 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    [...]
    I hope im not breaking any forum rules, as all charity links/donation links will be put onto the relevant forum section.
    [...]
    I don't know that you are breaking any rules (I ought to know as we are all deemed to know and ignorance is no excuse). However, if you are breaking forum rules, you've been breaking them every year for many years seemingly without challenge.

Until anyone questions what's apparently been done for many years without any issue, thank you for starting this off again.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 13th Apr 18, 10:23 PM
    • 27,123 Posts
    • 325,253 Thanks
    davemorton
    Hi everybody. I was wondering if I could ask a MASSIVE favour. I have become unemployed and hope this is only for temporary reasons. As I have time on my hands I am walking during the day to keep busy. I am trying to make my Jobseeker's Allowance go far and so have time to visit all the supermarkets really. Apart from J Sainsbury, they are all within 45 minutes walk. I have put Greenjinn, Checkoutsmart and Shopmium on my phone. Using these I am saving money but also mainly shopping at Tesco and using their brand match on goods cheaper elsewhere. I know the Asda one is 10% cheaper but it seems too complicated. Can you give me any more tips to get my 73 benefit stretching further?

Originally posted by Woolco
    If you have that time on your hands, wombling at adsa would probably help a lot. People have been known not to need to spend any/much money on grocery's all month.

What number are you taking, Dave?
    Originally posted by MKS
    I will take whats left, saves people from saying I am cheating
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 13th Apr 18, 10:28 PM
    • 3,630 Posts
    • 37,069 Thanks
    curl girl
    The instructions said choose a horse ... so I just started at the top and chose the first available as posted in a rush .

Anon
    Originally posted by Anon
    You don't have to justify yourself.
    We know what you're like....
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
    • spud01
    • By spud01 13th Apr 18, 10:35 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 2,810 Thanks
    spud01
    Can I have no21 please
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 13th Apr 18, 10:35 PM
    • 36,919 Posts
    • 500,223 Thanks
    TrulyMadly

Good evening paw sniffers

Do you understand the APG deals we post?

DD made Thai green curry for tea and we opened a bottle of prosecco We had a lovely hour or so with her

Are we all having a nice evening?
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 13th Apr 18, 10:39 PM
    • 3,630 Posts
    • 37,069 Thanks
    curl girl

DD made Thai green curry for tea and we opened a bottle of prosecco We had a lovely hour or so with her

Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    Lovely TM.
    Is she settled in?
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
    • Picasso7
    • By Picasso7 13th Apr 18, 10:39 PM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 37,969 Thanks
    Picasso7
    Thank you for doing this. It's a great idea. I've been out tonight so going to bed now. Night all. (I've put myself in and also Spud01 as requested above.)

It's Grand National Day Tomorrow. We have done it in the past, so against my better judgement, as I am carp at organising things, we should try to raise some money for good causes. Usual rules apply. Pick a number, copy the list (highlight, then press Ctrl 'C'), then paste it into a new post (press Ctrl 'V') and I will do my best to keep up with the chaos. I will request someone as my trusty person who will keep a copy list to the horses/corresponding numbers to make sure I don't cheat. The winner gets to choose the cause and we all pay our 2 to that cause. I hope im not breaking any forum rules, as all charity links/donation links will be put onto the relevant forum section. As ever there's no obligation to take part at all, and if it all goes breastage up, blame Bubbs Oh, and if you pick a non runner/donkey/3 legged albatross, tough!

1. Anon
    2.Hillbern
    3. Picasso
    4. hippychicky
    8. Diluvsdiscounts
    10. cjj
    11. TM
    12. JTS
    13. TS
    14. SnS
    15. Hornetgirl
    16. Sarahdol75
    17. juju17
    19. pacifica9
    21. Spud01
    22. Pandoraskids
    25. Locarr
    27. AJ (tweets spending your money again )
    28. Lfab
    29. Chrisv
    30. Tweets
    31. BarleySugar
    33. MKS
    35.curl girl
    39.MrsJoJo
    Last edited by Picasso7; 13-04-2018 at 10:41 PM.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 13th Apr 18, 10:45 PM
    • 5,445 Posts
    • 65,179 Thanks
    Serendipitious

That's lovely, and nice to be waited upon for a change
    All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.

• Woolco
    • By Woolco 13th Apr 18, 10:51 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Woolco

Hi Pawsniffer, yes I understand how it works. It is very complicated. I sent the group a message here a long time ago about Bannisters loaded potato skins being 1.29 at Asda but they were showing up as 50p at Tesco on mysupermarket because Tesco had stopped them.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 13th Apr 18, 10:56 PM
    • 27,123 Posts
    • 325,253 Thanks
    davemorton
    Hi Pawsniffer, yes I understand how it works. It is very complicated. I sent the group a message here a long time ago about Bannisters loaded potato skins being 1.29 at Asda but they were showing up as 50p at Tesco on mysupermarket because Tesco had stopped them.
    What was your username a long time ago Woolco?
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 13th Apr 18, 10:56 PM
    • 36,919 Posts
    • 500,223 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Lovely TM.
    Is she settled in?
    Originally posted by curl girl
    That's lovely, and nice to be waited upon for a change
    Originally posted by Serendipitious
    She's taken to it like a duck to water. She has no TV or internet yet so is reading and enjoying it. We helped put up some lights tonight and plumbed in the washer....so it wasnt quite a free tea

Everything is silver grey and dusty pink and looks classy....that won't last long
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • Woolco
    • By Woolco 13th Apr 18, 11:01 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Woolco
    If you have that time on your hands, wombling at adsa would probably help a lot. People have been known not to need to spend any/much money on grocery's all month.

I will take whats left, saves people from saying I am cheating
    Hi. Thanks for this. My Asda is inside a shopping centre and I don't seem to see these receipts but will make a point of looking.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 13th Apr 18, 11:01 PM
    • 27,123 Posts
    • 325,253 Thanks
    davemorton
    She's taken to it like a duck to water. She has no TV or internet yet so is reading and enjoying it. We helped put up some lights tonight and plumbed in the washer....so it wasnt quite a free tea

Everything is silver grey and dusty pink and looks classy....that won't last long
    No internet, who she think she is, Anon??
    • Woolco
    • By Woolco 13th Apr 18, 11:09 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Woolco
    Hi Dave, no I have rejoined after originally joining in 2008. I couldn't remember my password and the system is sending the reset link to my BT (Talk21) email account. But this has been closed for at least a year as they were going to charge me 5 per month just for email. So Woolco is what I picked as a new user. This is where I had my 1st job.
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 13th Apr 18, 11:10 PM
    • 36,919 Posts
    • 500,223 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Think I've just seen hornetgirl in the Graham Norton audience
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 13th Apr 18, 11:12 PM
    • 36,919 Posts
    • 500,223 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Hi Dave, no I have rejoined after originally joining in 2008. I couldn't remember my password and the system is sending the reset link to my BT (Talk21) email account. But this has been closed for at least a year as they were going to charge me 5 per month just for email. So Woolco is what I picked as a new user. This is where I had my 1st job.
    I had a Saturday job in Woollies. I started off in Fancy goods, moved onto pick and mix and ended up on the deli. I couldn't work the scales so just put whatever I thought in a bag
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 13th Apr 18, 11:17 PM
    • 20,703 Posts
    • 268,446 Thanks
    Savvybuyer

I think A is the best and is the easiest one of all and I think is the one that most of us find gives the best returns. The fact it offers 10% cheaper increases the value of the vouchers from what they would be if it were merely a match and you can get vouchers even where A is cheaper (which it often is) but is not 10% cheaper. T offers discounts the same price to shoppers at the till on comparable branded items as the competitor that has the cheapest overall price for the total of the branded items bought where at least ten different items were bought. This will result in people paying more for a branded item than a cheaper competitor where another competitor comes out cheapest overall on branded items and is more expensive on that branded item than the cheapest competitor for it. As you can see, it's fairly complicated. However the point for us is that as people have the Brand Guarantee applied at the till, there is no discarded voucher or receipt to be found. Otherwise you could try to collect CC or Nectar points but they are not immediately redeemable. In addition, if you are trying to use Nectar points to pay at S, you will, in my view, need to find more points to be able to buy anything worthwhile due to what I perceive to be S's generally higher prices. Therefore you will need to pay more to get the same number of items or get less for the money.

At A you can simply collect receipts from outside the store (car parks, trolleys etc. but not bins as the contents of bins legally belong to the bin owner), with internet access enter the long receipt numbers into the website, create an account and claim/print vouchers that are offered. Take the vouchers with their original receipt and you can buy goods immediately from A.

I wouldn't use receipts that are timed within minutes of each other on the same date against one shop. Be discreet (as everyone except me easily manages to do whilst I always end up drawing attention to myself) and use no more than three vouchers against one shop. If you use four or five, don't do it too often.

You can even get vouchers back from shops where you buy at least eight different grocery items that are in stock on A's website, especially if you do target shops. However, you can just pay for the odd one or two items as and when needed with each one voucher you get (however much is covered by the voucher amount). You could probably survive that way alone, depending on how many vouchers you manage to get and if you buy lower value essentials items such as the S/price range, even though they can work out more expensive than doing target shop glitches.

If you find any items on wombled receipts that are on COS/Shopmum, you can submit those.

Sorry to hear of your situation, although the vouchers could be worthwhile to anyone who is unemployed. Best of luck.

I think T's scheme generally is not worthwhile unless you have coupons and a cheaper competitor price to match - but then need to buy nine more, in my view unnecessary items - you can't just buy the one item that you have a coupon for and get the match. It has the benefit of being easily understood by people generally, who probably think it is giving them something worthwhile. Somehow, simply entering a receipt number into a website is seen as too complicated. In fact it's easy, straightforward and can give near immediate vouchers for use off shops - and there's no doubt about where you need to go to spend them.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 13-04-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

366Posts Today

2,868Users online

Martin's Twitter