Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    • 13,433Posts
    • 36,745Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 6th Nov 17 at 3:30 PM
    MoneySavingExpert insert:

We've received reports that some posts on here possibly advocate fraud.

Please remember MoneySavingExpert is about saving money legally. If you're at all unsure please don't post.

Back to the original post...

-----

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-02-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 1243
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 12th Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 29,572 Thanks
    curl girl
    Morning all hope everyone is well.

Hugs to LEJC hope you are lurking XXX

Can I ask our resident eBay sellers for any tips please ?
    Not sold anything before and just wondered if there is anything to be aware of etc. Did I read they were stopping using PayPal ? How will people pay me ? Tia xx
    Originally posted by cjj
    1 max fee offer ends tonight if you have it on your account.
    My only tip is send items signed for to avoid anyone saying that they haven't received the item.
    Good luck.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
    • braveheart60uk
    • By braveheart60uk 12th Mar 18, 11:33 AM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 27,388 Thanks
    braveheart60uk
    To also build up you feedback, you can also do some small purchases.

This may help
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/selling-on-ebay

Paypal fee 3.4% + 20p

For calculating fees etc take selling price A
    EBay fees 10% B
    Postage C
    PayPal fees D
    E Cost

for example 10 total paid by buyer.

A less B ( 10 - 1 ) 9
    Less D 9 - (9 x .034 + 20p) (31p + 20p) = 51p = 9 -51p = 8.49
    Less C 8.49 - (postage) 8.49-2.00
    Less E 6.49 - (2.00) = 4.49
    PROFIT 4.49

This is just a theoretical sale, if you can make spreadsheet, it is easy to make a calculator, I can post a simplified way to do it tomorrow if I have any PMs requesting it.

ALSO remember cost of wrapping paper, sellotape, boxes etc

HTH
    • braveheart60uk
    • By braveheart60uk 12th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 27,388 Thanks
    braveheart60uk
    Oh, I left out listing fees too ROFLOL
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 12th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    • 7,117 Posts
    • 58,898 Thanks
    fuzzgun19

Not sold anything before and just wondered if there is anything to be aware of etc. Did I read they were stopping using PayPal ? How will people pay me ? Tia xx
    Originally posted by cjj
    I've not heard anything about ebay stopping paypal??

I try to put on at least one good photo, no blury ones. Detail condition of item like if theres scratches, bobbling or marks etc.
    Maybe give two postage options, cheapest way to send then another eg Royal Mail in case some people don't like couriers (depending on size of item).

I've sold a few items using the global shipping thing, not had any problems with that.

Anything over large letter I nearly always use Shutl, the addresses are already there to print, and it's slightly cheaper than paying on the Hermes site - only downside you pay by monthly invoice bill via paypal so you have to leave the money in there, otherwise I've had no problems with them.

If the item goes with Hermes you can check online to see if it's been delivered.

For fees, I just estimate 15% off the total (if they pay by Paypal). I haven't had anyone pay by cheque/postal order or bank transfer for years. I never pay insertion fees nowerdays either.
    Last edited by fuzzgun19; 12-03-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 12th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 14,908 Posts
    • 256,085 Thanks
    Snap-ant

eBay.

In your account button, go to Site Preferences, and then buyer requirements.
    Here you need to block anyone from bidding from outside UK, also bad feedback, no PayPal acct etc.

Always send signed for & upload the tracking number when you despatch item. State on item that you only send signed for for both your peace of minds.
    Charge reasonable postage i.e 2nd class small parcel up to 2 kgs (at the moment) is 3.90 signed for.

The item, use all 12 photos allowance, every angle, any flaws? be as honest & descriptive as possible. Include measurements.
    All helps
    On listing make sure you tick the box for no overseas too

Thank them for paying & advise when you are posting & how is the weather? communication goes a long way
    With item I usually pop in a 'enjoy' note on a luggage label.

Little things like good packaging

If you want to sell you have to pamper to your buyer. It earns you 5 stars & good feedback.

Good luck
    Our Family Motto ~
    If all else fails - read the instructions...

• HILLBERN
    • By HILLBERN 12th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 29,719 Thanks
    HILLBERN
    no posts for over an hour, where is everyone??
    Originally posted by lesliejack
    babysitting...
    • cjj
    • By cjj 12th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 6,371 Posts
    • 84,936 Thanks
    cjj
    Wow thanks Braveheart, curl girl, fuzzy and snap.

Very informative can I please ask what shutl is fuzzy ? I've never heard of it. Tia xx
    Cherish those you have in your life because you never know when they won't be there anymore.

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up & never give up.
    • Sarahdol75
    • By Sarahdol75 12th Mar 18, 12:06 PM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 90,181 Thanks
    Sarahdol75
    Afternoon everyone
    Walk 3000 miles in a year challenge 2018

835.4 miles 21.05.18
    • izzy65
    • By izzy65 12th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 42,916 Thanks
    izzy65

Originally posted by cjj
    Wow thanks Braveheart, curl girl, fuzzy and snap.

Very informative can I please ask what shutl is fuzzy ? I've never heard of it. Tia xx
    Originally posted by cjj
    Shutl is eBay's slightly cheaper delivery service but check it available in your area I would need to drive over a 100 miles to use it here
    The person who never makes a mistake never learns anything.
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 12th Mar 18, 12:25 PM
    • 7,117 Posts
    • 58,898 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    Shutl is eBay's slightly cheaper delivery service but check it available in your area I would need to drive over a 100 miles to use it here
    Originally posted by izzy65
    Yes its where you print the postage label within eBay, you can select different couriers or Royal Mail, I tend to use Hermes mainly as theres lots of drop off points around here.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • cjj
    • By cjj 12th Mar 18, 12:31 PM
    • 6,371 Posts
    • 84,936 Thanks
    cjj
    Thanks all, I've made notes xx
    Cherish those you have in your life because you never know when they won't be there anymore.

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up & never give up.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 12th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 26,235 Posts
    • 318,523 Thanks
    davemorton
    Flying against the wind...I would not waste my money on signed for. Most of the time it is not signed, s just post it normal but get proof of postage so if it gets lost, you can claim. If the item is worth a bit more, use a courier that needs signing for and has insurance to match your product.
    NEVER accept paypal on items that are being collected.
    And lastly, be prepared to be frustrated, annoyed and angry with your buyers.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 12th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 26,235 Posts
    • 318,523 Thanks
    davemorton
    1 litre irn bru bottle - 60p at Asda in store (hukd)
    Spotted in Glasgow Govan store
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
    • pandoraskids
    • By pandoraskids 12th Mar 18, 12:37 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 4,162 Thanks
    pandoraskids
    no posts for over an hour, where is everyone??
    Originally posted by lesliejack
    Working
    RIP Little Sister 30/11/17 x
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 12th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 17,107 Posts
    • 208,907 Thanks
    mhoc
    Still raining this morning.

Suggestions please. I am having a jacket crisis this morning - both my Craghopper and my everyday winter weight wet weather jacket feel too tight - I wear far too many layers underneath and I feel the cold too much now.

So I had a look on Mountain warehouse online for a padded down jacket or a ski jacket of some sort with a hood in a bright jazzy colour. There are a few own brand cheap versions which I am dubious about, think they would be too lightweight.
    And nothing in a size 16 or 18

Any suggestions - The one on the Aldi website only goes up to a size 14, possibly too late in the year now.
    I also looked at Amazon Mountain warehouse but they don't have much but mainly summer weight rain macs

I am not keen to go up to Chester or Stoke, too much choice and I get brain freeze ...
    Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.
    • izzy65
    • By izzy65 12th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 42,916 Thanks
    izzy65
    Yes its where you print the postage label within eBay, you can select different couriers or Royal Mail, I tend to use Hermes mainly as theres lots of drop off points around here.
    Originally posted by fuzzgun19
    Thanks fuzzgun, I must look at it again as thought it was only hermes and we have no drop offs here
    The person who never makes a mistake never learns anything.
    • gocat
    • By gocat 12th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 5,104 Posts
    • 59,619 Thanks
    gocat
    Any of you ebayers use shpock to sell you items.
    Was please the other day. Had put in a search alert for a fish price swing and one came up as 10 and not too far from me. Most had been about 20 ++ . So asked questions and then said would like to buy it. After I had confirmed I would buy, the seller messaged me saying she had forgot the slow speed on the swing doesnt work so well, and said I can pull out of the sale or have it for free. So of course I had it for free. got it home and nothing wrong with it

No news on DS baby yet after being induced Sat and Sun. Original plan was for a c section this Thursday and then it was changed to today Monday but admitted her Sat for observation, where they said they will try induction first. So C section planned for this afternoon sometime unless more urgent cases come in
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • 15,955 Posts
    • 193,031 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Still raining this morning.

Suggestions please. I am having a jacket crisis this morning - both my Craghopper and my everyday winter weight wet weather jacket feel too tight - I wear far too many layers underneath and I feel the cold too much now.

So I had a look on Mountain warehouse online for a padded down jacket or a ski jacket of some sort with a hood in a bright jazzy colour. There are a few own brand cheap versions which I am dubious about, think they would be too lightweight.
    And nothing in a size 16 or 18

Any suggestions - The one on the Aldi website only goes up to a size 14, possibly too late in the year now.
    I also looked at Amazon Mountain warehouse but they don't have much but mainly summer weight rain macs

I am not keen to go up to Chester or Stoke, too much choice and I get brain freeze ...
    Originally posted by mhoc
    Amercombie and Fitch - have some good deals on coats for ladies... there is a nice one for 24....
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 12th Mar 18, 1:11 PM
    • 17,107 Posts
    • 208,907 Thanks
    mhoc
    Amercombie and Fitch - have some good deals on coats for ladies... there is a nice one for 24....
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Yes I saw this somewhere this morning, good price but probably more style than function

Even in the hose these days I have scarfs, fleeces and woolly hats on - anyone that comes to the door things I am on my way out
    Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 15,955 Posts
    • 193,031 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Yes I saw this somewhere this morning, good price but probably more style than function

Even in the hose these days I have scarfs, fleeces and woolly hats on - anyone that comes to the door things I am on my way out
    Originally posted by mhoc
    Is that because the house is cold, or because you are cold? If it is you, and there is no known reason, you should pop to the doctors.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,592Posts Today

9,419Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin