Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 5th Nov 17, 6:01 PM
    • 249Posts
    • 456Thanks
    MeenaM
    Dear Diary
    • 5th Nov 17, 6:01 PM
    Dear Diary 5th Nov 17 at 6:01 PM
    Day 1 ....and we're off! so here is my list of income outgoings and debts, I have not included my husband's as for the moment I am concentrating on getting rid of my own debt ,

so I have filled this in and copied here

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information
    Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 2
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details
    Monthly income after tax................ 1300
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 222
    Other income............................ 137
    Total monthly income.................... 1659

Monthly Expense Details
    Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 0
    Electricity............................. 0
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 0
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 71
    TV Licence.............................. 14
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 150
    Clothing................................ 0
    Petrol/diesel........................... 50
    Road tax................................ 15
    Car Insurance........................... 19
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 20
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 86
    Childcare/nursery....................... 100
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 8.6
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 19
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 8.78
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 20
    Haircuts................................ 15
    Entertainment........................... 0
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    kids swimming........................... 14.5
    kids dancin............................. 16.67
    kids saving............................. 50
    national trust.......................... 9.55
    joint account........................... 400
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1087.1

Assets
    Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 1500
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 1500

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    next...........................117.......6........ .29.9
    aa.............................860.......25....... .19
    barclays.......................4812......110...... .19
    sainsburys.....................425.......10....... .18
    virgin.........................4130......41.8..... .18
    Total unsecured debts..........10344.....192.8.....-

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total monthly income.................... 1,659
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,087.1
    Available for debt repayments........... 571.9
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 192.8
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 379.1

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 1,500
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -10,344
    Net Assets.............................. -8,844

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

I really want to figure out the best way of paying off the credit card debts , the AA is 0% until 13 December 2017 , The Sainsburys is 0 % until 20 Februrary 2018 and the Barclays is 0% until 1 April 2019

Next- £117
    AA- £860
    Sainsburys £425
    Barclays £4800
    Virgin £4138

total £10340
    Atm I am paying £280 towards the credit card debts

I need help with either snowballing or high interest first , when the credit cards revert to interest charged they wil be about 22.5 %

any help , advice or encouragement will be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by MeenaM; 25-11-2017 at 4:02 PM. Reason: adding information
Page 8
    • debtfreeby2020
    • By debtfreeby2020 3rd Mar 18, 8:33 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    debtfreeby2020
    Woohooo! Well done on the payments. Are these overpayments or minimums? I hope you enjoyed the pizza.
    Emergency Fund: £300.01/£1000 (30%) March NST: 2/18 NSDs
    Tesco Loan: £3,877/£5000 Barclaycard: £3149.99/£3169.79
    • Poppy1984
    • By Poppy1984 3rd Mar 18, 10:13 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Poppy1984
    Hi just read your diary from start to finish. Wow well done you are making such a lot of progress!!!!
    It must be difficult with hubby not on board. Did you close your next acc after you paid it off? Next is my lowest and I'm desperately trying to get it paid as quick as poss so I can close it. It takes so much longer to pay things off than to spend it doesn't it. It's like weight quick to put on long to lose!
    Good luck on your journey you are doing great! X
    19-02-18 Total Debt £4,015 Next £815 Very £1600 Tesco Credit Card £1600
    PAID Next £815/£815 now closed Very £900/ 1600 Tesco £160/ £1600
    Emergency Fund £280/£300
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 3rd Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    MeenaM
    Woohooo! Well done on the payments. Are these overpayments or minimums? I hope you enjoyed the pizza.
    Originally posted by debtfreeby2020
    over payments
    Sealed Pot 11. #199Next£1170Barclays Credit Card £4891.20/687.95- 0% ends April 2019 virgin 0% ends july 2020 £4138 3929.89AA Credit Card £860 0- 0% ends Dec 2017 Sainsburys Credit Card £521.27-0 0% ends Feb 2018 STARTED Nov 17AIM TO BE DEBT FREE JULY 2019Emergency Fund £614/£1000
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 3rd Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    MeenaM
    Hi just read your diary from start to finish. Wow well done you are making such a lot of progress!!!!
    It must be difficult with hubby not on board. Did you close your next acc after you paid it off? Next is my lowest and I'm desperately trying to get it paid as quick as poss so I can close it. It takes so much longer to pay things off than to spend it doesn't it. It's like weight quick to put on long to lose!
    Good luck on your journey you are doing great! X
    Originally posted by Poppy1984
    I haven't used it( next card) since but not closed it so yes i need to do that pronto! I will do that today thanks for the reminder

and thanks for your kind words and reading ,

I have now got my "debt free " chart on the fridge door , serves as a reminder of what I have achieved so far and daughter had fun colouring it in too
    Sealed Pot 11. #199Next£1170Barclays Credit Card £4891.20/687.95- 0% ends April 2019 virgin 0% ends july 2020 £4138 3929.89AA Credit Card £860 0- 0% ends Dec 2017 Sainsburys Credit Card £521.27-0 0% ends Feb 2018 STARTED Nov 17AIM TO BE DEBT FREE JULY 2019Emergency Fund £614/£1000
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 3rd Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 6,385 Posts
    • 13,114 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    You are doing really well on clearing the cards.

For anyone whose DH is not on board with clearing debt here is what worked for me and DH over the years. He got fed up with me pestering where he was spending money on and we had arguments about him using the food budget to pay for other bits and pieces in the supermarket for his hobbies or expensive magazines, beers etc. Constant source of friction.

We eventually decided on one joint account for us, three savings accounts and one joint credit card. Two individual bank accounts. At the beginning of the month we agreed on how much to leave in the current account to go towards bills, leave as buffer for annual bills, presents etc and we split the remaining money between emergency savings account, house and car savings account, holiday savings account. We upped pension payments for long term savings and I did a stocks and shares isa as my pension was smaller. We agreed a personal expenditure figure monthly according to income and the same amount went into each of our personal current accounts. I no longer felt the need to quiz him on what he did with his personal money so we both felt more relaxed about finances. We agreed only to use the credit card for food and fuel and it was paid off in full each month. If the bill was high the following month we got less personal money. It concentrated DHs mind on keeping the grocery spends lower as it impacted on his fun money so he was no longer so free and easy with the supermarket spends.

It is incredibly frustrating when you are the only one making sacrifices but you have to work within limitations. Luckily my DH was anti debt too so was not running up credit card bills but not having him dip constantly into the joint current account made me so much happier and he had his money which he could spend without me nagging him.

If you cannot get your DH onboard then separating finances and just concentrating on yours may be the way forward so long as you are not linked by a joint current account or mortgage, credit card or loan.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 3rd Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    MeenaM
    You are doing really well on clearing the cards.

For anyone whose DH is not on board with clearing debt here is what worked for me and DH over the years. He got fed up with me pestering where he was spending money on and we had arguments about him using the food budget to pay for other bits and pieces in the supermarket for his hobbies or expensive magazines, beers etc. Constant source of friction.

We eventually decided on one joint account for us, three savings accounts and one joint credit card. Two individual bank accounts. At the beginning of the month we agreed on how much to leave in the current account to go towards bills, leave as buffer for annual bills, presents etc and we split the remaining money between emergency savings account, house and car savings account, holiday savings account. We upped pension payments for long term savings and I did a stocks and shares isa as my pension was smaller. We agreed a personal expenditure figure monthly according to income and the same amount went into each of our personal current accounts. I no longer felt the need to quiz him on what he did with his personal money so we both felt more relaxed about finances. We agreed only to use the credit card for food and fuel and it was paid off in full each month. If the bill was high the following month we got less personal money. It concentrated DHs mind on keeping the grocery spends lower as it impacted on his fun money so he was no longer so free and easy with the supermarket spends.

It is incredibly frustrating when you are the only one making sacrifices but you have to work within limitations. Luckily my DH was anti debt too so was not running up credit card bills but not having him dip constantly into the joint current account made me so much happier and he had his money which he could spend without me nagging him.

If you cannot get your DH onboard then separating finances and just concentrating on yours may be the way forward so long as you are not linked by a joint current account or mortgage, credit card or loan.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    thanks !

we have a joint account which we both put money into and out of that is paid the mortgage , council tax , joint life , water , heating, and appliance insurances. we then both have our own separate bank accounts, the problem has been with his separate bank account he has always been OD , the last time £4000 which when it all came to the light bulb moment for me, we moved it to an interest free credit card , that is the Virgin one i am paying down. Now we have only one CC in my name that we can potentially use,, the others i have his cards and he can't use. I have full access now to his bank account so i can see everything . I will try not to go on at him too much

our plan is to cut up all the CC and close them once paid off
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 3rd Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    • 6,385 Posts
    • 13,114 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    thanks !

the problem has been with his separate bank account he has always been OD , the last time £4000 which when it all came to the light bulb moment for me, we moved it to an interest free credit card , that is the Virgin one i am paying down. Now we have only one CC in my name that we can potentially use,, the others i have his cards and he can't use. I have full access now to his bank account so i can see everything . I will try not to go on at him too much

our plan is to cut up all the CC and close them once paid off
    Originally posted by MeenaM
    Is there a reason you took his overdraft on as your problem? I think I would be tempted to leave him to sort it out. I don't check my DHs bank account. As far as I know he does not go overdrawn although it gets low from time to time but I figure what I don't know doesn't hurt me and any charges, interest he pays have to come from his personal money. At some point if your DH is not on board you will need to leave him to deal with overdraft charges, bad credit ratings himself.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 3rd Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    MeenaM
    Is there a reason you took his overdraft on as your problem? I think I would be tempted to leave him to sort it out. I don't check my DHs bank account. As far as I know he does not go overdrawn although it gets low from time to time but I figure what I don't know doesn't hurt me and any charges, interest he pays have to come from his personal money. At some point if your DH is not on board you will need to leave him to deal with overdraft charges, bad credit ratings himself.
    I took it on as if I hadn't have done he would have been paying over draft charges for ever and a day and it would be less money for the family as a whole, being married i see us as one unit even though we have separate accounts plus a joint one , I also see his debt as my debt and visa versa , as we are married i see us as in it together , if that makes sense?
    • debtfreeby2020
    • By debtfreeby2020 3rd Mar 18, 3:58 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    debtfreeby2020
    over payments
    Thatís amazing hun. Great job. You will be out of the woods in no time!
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 3rd Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 6,385 Posts
    • 13,114 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I took it on as if I hadn't have done he would have been paying over draft charges for ever and a day and it would be less money for the family as a whole, being married i see us as one unit even though we have separate accounts plus a joint one , I also see his debt as my debt and visa versa , as we are married i see us as in it together , if that makes sense?
    It does to a degree so long as he sees it the same way. If he sabotages your efforts then no. Having also seen many people being left high and dry by taking on their partners debts and then the other half leaving them to deal with it there has to be a degree of give and take and responsibility on both sides I think. A partnership only works if both in it together. Not a comment on your marriage by the way just an observation of the pitfalls of only one of the partners being on board with debt clearing and budgeting. Only you will know if this is the case with your OH.

• MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 4th Mar 18, 8:31 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    MeenaM
    It does to a degree so long as he sees it the same way. If he sabotages your efforts then no. Having also seen many people being left high and dry by taking on their partners debts and then the other half leaving them to deal with it there has to be a degree of give and take and responsibility on both sides I think. A partnership only works if both in it together. Not a comment on your marriage by the way just an observation of the pitfalls of only one of the partners being on board with debt clearing and budgeting. Only you will know if this is the case with your OH.
    I totally agree
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 4th Mar 18, 8:34 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    MeenaM
    Morning to all, today will be a test , we are going out for bowling and a macdonalds for my daughter's 8th birthday treat with some of her friends, it is in the budget however it will take some will power not to over spend especially as they will be wanting drinks at the bowling , she had a sleep over last night with her best friend and it was manic , they and I have had little sleep ! but all good fun especially the impromptu "talent" contest we had to judge , the dressing up box she's had for years has had a lot of play lol
    • debtfreeby2020
    • By debtfreeby2020 4th Mar 18, 8:46 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    debtfreeby2020
    Awwww. Happy Birthday to your wee girl! It sounds like you have a fun day ahead. Could the kids share a drink. One between two? Give them a straw each?
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 4th Mar 18, 9:34 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    MeenaM
    Awwww. Happy Birthday to your wee girl! It sounds like you have a fun day ahead. Could the kids share a drink. One between two? Give them a straw each?
    thanks ! that's worth a try
    • debtfreeby2020
    • By debtfreeby2020 4th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    debtfreeby2020
    thanks ! that's worth a try
    That's what my mum made me and my friends do on birthdays
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 5th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    MeenaM
    That's what my mum made me and my friends do on birthdays
    it worked! phew but they wanted extra macdonalds

anyway managed to stay within budget

unfortunately spent £92 instead of £85 at Aldi this morning but can re adjust other figures in the budget to allow for it and still hopefully have enough to buy food the rest of the month until payday

have stuck on the fridge the debt free cards , one for debt free the other the credit cards , looking like a long way to go .. but still motivated to see what has been paid so far

made a lasagne for the slow cooker today

have a good day all its fairly barmy weather here at 8 degrees
    • debtfreeby2020
    • By debtfreeby2020 5th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    debtfreeby2020
    Woohoo! Congrats on staying in budget. I could go a McDonalds right now. Double cheeseburgers are my secret shame haha.

You!!!8217;re not too far over on the Aldi spend. Maybe reduce the amount next week? Do you do your shopping weekly or monthly?

Slow cooker lasagne sounds so good. Do you have a recipe?
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 5th Mar 18, 4:08 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    MeenaM
    Woohoo! Congrats on staying in budget. I could go a McDonalds right now. Double cheeseburgers are my secret shame haha.

You!!!8217;re not too far over on the Aldi spend. Maybe reduce the amount next week? Do you do your shopping weekly or monthly?

Slow cooker lasagne sounds so good. Do you have a recipe?
    i go weekly

here is the recipe it really is delish

Ingredients
    1/2 pound mince beef
    pack of bacon bits or chopped back pack
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 large onion , chopped*
    1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    2 tablespoons parsley
    2 teaspoons garlic crushed
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    3-4 tablespoons tomato puree
    29 oz. can tomato sauce/passatta
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    8 oz. pkg regular lasagna sheetss , uncooked
    4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Instructions

In a large frying pan over medium heat brown the ground beef, bacon and onion.

Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, parsley, garlic , Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar, and water. Stir and simmer 15-20 minutes. (You could make the sauce in advance!)

Spread a fourth of the meat sauce into the bottom of your slow cooker. Arrange a third of the lasagna sheets over the sauce (break the sheets to fit, if necessary).

Combine the mozzarella, cottage cheese and parmesan cheese; spoon a third of the mixture over sheetss. Repeat layers twice.

Top with remaining meat sauce and sprinkle with extra mozzarella cheese, if desired.

Cover and cook on low for about 4-5 hours or until tender.
    • Poppy1984
    • By Poppy1984 5th Mar 18, 4:58 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Poppy1984
    i go weekly

here is the recipe it really is delish

Ingredients
    1/2 pound mince beef
    pack of bacon bits or chopped back pack
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 large onion , chopped*
    1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    2 tablespoons parsley
    2 teaspoons garlic crushed
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    3-4 tablespoons tomato puree
    29 oz. can tomato sauce/passatta
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    8 oz. pkg regular lasagna sheetss , uncooked
    4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Instructions

In a large frying pan over medium heat brown the ground beef, bacon and onion.

Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, parsley, garlic , Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar, and water. Stir and simmer 15-20 minutes. (You could make the sauce in advance!)

Spread a fourth of the meat sauce into the bottom of your slow cooker. Arrange a third of the lasagna sheets over the sauce (break the sheets to fit, if necessary).

Combine the mozzarella, cottage cheese and parmesan cheese; spoon a third of the mixture over sheetss. Repeat layers twice.

Top with remaining meat sauce and sprinkle with extra mozzarella cheese, if desired.

Cover and cook on low for about 4-5 hours or until tender.
    Yum!!!! That sounds goegoues! Thanks for sharing. Ps did you close that next account? x
    19-02-18 Total Debt £4,015 Next £815 Very £1600 Tesco Credit Card £1600
    PAID Next £815/£815 now closed Very £900/ 1600 Tesco £160/ £1600
    Emergency Fund £280/£300
    • debtfreeby2020
    • By debtfreeby2020 5th Mar 18, 7:06 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    debtfreeby2020
    Oh wow! Mmmmm. Thanks for sharing. I will give that a go :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin