Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Imelda
    • By Imelda 5th Nov 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,286Posts
    • 1,550Thanks
    Imelda
    John Lewis partnership card
    • 5th Nov 17, 2:23 PM
    John Lewis partnership card 5th Nov 17 at 2:23 PM
    Does anyone know how long John Lewis finance take to decide an application for a partnership card?

I applied online last week (29/10) and when I checked today it still gave the message that they are considering my application.

How long should I leave it before calling them? I have no reason to believe I may be rejected.
    Saving for an early retirement!
Page 1
    • Weybridge78
    • By Weybridge78 5th Nov 17, 5:49 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Weybridge78
    • 5th Nov 17, 5:49 PM
    • 5th Nov 17, 5:49 PM
    I think they have a poor application process online. I applied and called them to check for an update. It hadn't actually been processed as they needed more information from me (but didn't bother telling me). I had to give further information to them over the phone, after which they considered/processed the application and rejected me (which I have sent an appeal for).
    • Missus Hyde
    • By Missus Hyde 5th Nov 17, 6:47 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Missus Hyde
    • 5th Nov 17, 6:47 PM
    • 5th Nov 17, 6:47 PM
    Same here; I applied for a Partnership Card for my husband yesterday and received the same message that they were ďconsideringĒ the application and would let us know if they needed more information.

As itís the weekend, I assume that theyíre taking their time over it; before I applied I did read quite a few bad reviews for their customer services on line, very slow and inefficient etc., so Iím not really surprised. I dare say if I chase them next week and make a fuss, weíll probably get the card sorted; Iím not sure I can be ar$$ed to bother, as we really only want the card as we do quite a lot of our shopping at Waitrose and the extra points and the £20 would be useful.

If theyíre going to be difficult, I shanít bother (I certainly wonít be grovelling for the privilege of one of their cards! )
    It's a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known........Sydney Carton.
    • Imelda
    • By Imelda 5th Nov 17, 7:12 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    Imelda
    • 5th Nov 17, 7:12 PM
    • 5th Nov 17, 7:12 PM
    Thanks - I think I will give them a call tomorrow. Like you, Missus Hyde, I am not overly fussed if I am rejected - it would be nice to have though considering how much I spend with them.
    Saving for an early retirement!
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 5th Nov 17, 7:19 PM
    • 36,003 Posts
    • 46,359 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 5th Nov 17, 7:19 PM
    • 5th Nov 17, 7:19 PM
    What is this card please... a store/credit card ?
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Running On Empty
    • By Running On Empty 5th Nov 17, 7:21 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    Running On Empty
    • 5th Nov 17, 7:21 PM
    • 5th Nov 17, 7:21 PM
    It's a credit card which earns points which you receive in John Lewis Waitrose vouchers.
    • Weybridge78
    • By Weybridge78 5th Nov 17, 7:38 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Weybridge78
    • 5th Nov 17, 7:38 PM
    • 5th Nov 17, 7:38 PM
    Credit card. Underwritten/owned (?) by HSBC.
    • speedyrite
    • By speedyrite 6th Nov 17, 3:35 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    speedyrite
    • 6th Nov 17, 3:35 PM
    • 6th Nov 17, 3:35 PM
    Credit card. Underwritten/owned (?) by HSBC.
    Originally posted by Weybridge78
    Yes it's actually run by HSBC, who presumably use the John Lewis brand name under some sort of financial arrangement. Of late they seem to have been referring to themselves as John Lewis Finance, but still HSBC seems to be involved. I think it was originally operated by HFC Bank, which was acquired by HSBC some years ago (but I may be wrong about that).
    • Jibeddy
    • By Jibeddy 7th Nov 17, 10:06 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Jibeddy
    • 7th Nov 17, 10:06 AM
    • 7th Nov 17, 10:06 AM
    Just got approved for the card, they're really slow to respond. It took around a week with absolutely no updates other than the email to say they'd reached a decision (doesn't actually tell you whether or not you've been approved in the email, you have to go back to the tracking site).
    Last edited by Jibeddy; 07-11-2017 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Typo
    • Missus Hyde
    • By Missus Hyde 9th Nov 17, 10:48 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Missus Hyde
    Just got approved for the card, they're really slow to respond. It took around a week with absolutely no updates other than the email to say they'd reached a decision (doesn't actually tell you whether or not you've been approved in the email, you have to go back to the tracking site).
    Originally posted by Jibeddy
    A little update:

Also approved for the card, without the necessity of chasing them up. It was the same long winded procedure as Jibeddy describes; quite why itís necessary for John Lewis Finance to adopt such a cloak and dagger approach, I canít imagine and they are a bit coy on their website about finding the details for setting up the direct debit, but hopefully Iíve got the thing sorted (including an additional card for me) so fingers crossed it should be plain sailing now.
    It's a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known........Sydney Carton.
    • Weybridge78
    • By Weybridge78 9th Nov 17, 11:39 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Weybridge78
    Still waiting for appeal outcome.

Well done, Jibeddy and Missus Hyde!
    • rabbitlover
    • By rabbitlover 7th Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rabbitlover
    I'm still waiting- applied on line about 10 days ago and am a bit fed up now. No reason I should be rejected - but unfortunately I had just switched bank accounts, from one I'd been with for about 25 years! I don't think I can be bothered with them, really. I have my M & S card so I'll probably just stick with that.

An update
    I chased it up for an update at the w/end. There is no update. They are snowed under, apparently. No indication of when I can expect to hear. I cancelled the application.
    Last edited by rabbitlover; 12-03-2018 at 6:25 PM. Reason: Update 12/3/18
    • Missus Hyde
    • By Missus Hyde 8th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Missus Hyde
    I'm still waiting- applied on line about 10 days ago and am a bit fed up now. No reason I should be rejected - but unfortunately I had just switched bank accounts, from one I'd been with for about 25 years! I don't think I can be bothered with them, really. I have my M & S card so I'll probably just stick with that.
    Originally posted by rabbitlover
    Hi Rabbitlover,

I felt the same as you did when I applied; not sure if I could be bothered to chase them up for the dubious benefit of the card.

However, once the thing was set up and running, I'm really pleased with it. I w.as very sceptical, but everything has run as smooth as silk. The pending transactions come up very quickly, the statements appear on the date they should, the DD takes the full amount with no problem and it hasn't got hacked (so far!) and needed to be cancelled every five minutes like Tesco's!!

Also we've earned £40 worth of vouchers from it, which was the main reason we got it in the first place. Credit where it'sdue (pardon the pun! )
    Last edited by Missus Hyde; 17-04-2018 at 10:13 PM.
    • rabbitlover
    • By rabbitlover 12th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rabbitlover
    Hi Rabbitlover,

I felt the same as you did when I applied; not sure if I could be bothered to chase them up for the dubious benefit of the card.

However, once the thing was set up and running, I!!!8217;m really pleased with it. I w.as very sceptical, but everything has run as smooth as silk. The pending transactions come up very quickly, the statements appear on the date they should, the DD takes the full amount with no problem and it hasn!!!8217;t got hacked (so far!) and needed to be cancelled every five minutes like Tesco!!!8217;s!!

Also we!!!8217;ve earned £40 worth of vouchers from it, which was the main reason we got it in the first place. Credit where it!!!8217;s due (pardon the pun! )
    Originally posted by Missus Hyde
    I've just updated my post - and then I saw your response. I've already cancelled my application. May I ask what those symbols represent in your reply (the !!!8217;s!!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Mar 18, 6:36 PM
    • 16,832 Posts
    • 17,839 Thanks
    zx81
    May I ask what those symbols represent in your reply (the !!!8217;s!!
    It's a satanic thing. It lets other satanists know that there is to be a sacrifice, and everyone should bring a gift to appease the devil. Martin Lewis introduced the system on the site several years ago.

Oh no, hang on - it's a problem with how the site shows apostrophes on Apple devices.

I always get those two muddled up.
    • Missus Hyde
    • By Missus Hyde 12th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Missus Hyde
    I've just updated my post - and then I saw your response. I've already cancelled my application.
    Oh, that is a shame, Rabbitlover; never mind you can always apply again, if you reconsider having the card.

May I ask what those symbols represent in your reply (the !!!8217;s!!
    It's a satanic thing. It lets other satanists know that there is to be a sacrifice, and everyone should bring a gift to appease the devil. Martin Lewis introduced the system on the site several years ago.

Oh no, hang on - it's a problem with how the site shows apostrophes on Apple devices.

I always get those two muddled up.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Haha.....it seems to be a problem with Apple devices and the browsers on this website (Actually the html code for an apostrophe is &8217; I imagine something needs sorting with the software for these forums as this is the only site with which I have had a problem on my iPad.)
    • Chino
    • By Chino 12th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    Chino
    it's a problem with how the site shows apostrophes on Apple devices.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Yes, some discussion about it in these threads:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5786699
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5788856
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd Mar 18, 10:52 AM
    • 15,891 Posts
    • 134,698 Thanks
    JackieO
    Well I have a JL card and I am not happy with the service at all I have been trying to pay my bill online for the past three days and spent 20 minutes trying to talk to a human being on the phone No such luck ,even their fraudulent number is permanantley engaged I am going to Bluewter at the weekend pay it off and bin it At Least M&S respond to complaints and their service is swift
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • bengal-stripe
    • By bengal-stripe 23rd Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 2,085 Thanks
    bengal-stripe
    I have been trying to pay my bill online for the past three days and spent 20 minutes trying to talk to a human being on the phone
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Why do you have to talk to someone just to make a payment to a CC?

Make a Faster Payment from your bank account: you'll find sort code and account number on your CC statement; Reference is your 16-digits card number.......Done!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd Mar 18, 6:34 PM
    • 15,891 Posts
    • 134,698 Thanks
    JackieO
    Why do you have to talk to someone just to make a payment to a CC?

Make a Faster Payment from your bank account: you'll find sort code and account number on your CC statement; Reference is your 16-digits card number.......Done!
    Originally posted by bengal-stripe
    I would love to be able but as I have only an online statement it just won't accept my cash even though it has accepted it five times this month without a problem. I have no problems if I use my M&S online banking system just the John Lewis one . As for trying to contact a human being on the customer services well I might as well talk to the wall its a machine only
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

424Posts Today

5,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin