Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 9th Oct 07, 3:43 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    The Great ‘Blagging hints and tips’ Hunt
    • 9th Oct 07, 3:43 PM
    0 WOW
    The Great ‘Blagging hints and tips’ Hunt 9th Oct 07 at 3:43 PM
    With a bit of creative thinking, it’s possible to tap companies for anything and everything, from complimentary concert tickets to cash for a holiday.

To blag (in this context) is defined as
    • slang:
      To scrounge something; to get it for nothing.
      • Example: blagged his way into the club
    As an example, one MoneySaving blagger asked a paragliding firm to cough up for equipment' as a group of adventure sporters were taking a paragliding trip through India; so they wrote in said they were on a paragliding expedition and were given free equipment.

After all an expedition is a "an excursion, journey, or voyage made for some specific purpose;" there was no lie; and no argument it was for science or charity... the company were happy to pass the equipment across.

How far should a blag go?

Conning people and misleading info isn't part of blaggin; but persuading is fine. If you say you're going to run a party with lots of people and ask a drinks company for free booze as you think its the right clientelle to introduce to their drinks; this is a good blag; and there are no lies.

And just for inspiration... here's a picture of history's best blagger...

Please click reply to add your best legal blags.

Note: If you were one of the few people who, got the weekly email with the ski-ing example in it; sorry about that it was put in in error and was an inappropiate example

Last edited by MSE Archna; 25-10-2007 at 10:52 AM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
  • MagicFreebiesUK
    • 12th Oct 07, 12:20 PM
    • 12th Oct 07, 12:20 PM
    Prolly loads of T-shirts, coasters, umbrellas and loads of other promo things from alcohol companies that they sent me for throwing a party. Got a box of Kettle Chips a few years back for saying I liked their products as well.

HTH
    MagicFreebies UK
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 16th Oct 07, 10:54 PM
    • 8,111 Posts
    • 42,248 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 16th Oct 07, 10:54 PM
    • 16th Oct 07, 10:54 PM
    NB. Some posts in this thread have been deleted. The original description of blagging was by a member of my team (they pre-write some of the smaller notes for me, then I come through and rewrite and tweak - it enables us to get the email out on time); who'd put the wrong example (a slightly dodgy and inappropriate one). As that confused the discussion I've deleted all to restart.

Martin
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 16-10-2007 at 11:06 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • Tiger_greeneyes
    • By Tiger_greeneyes 17th Oct 07, 12:11 PM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    Tiger_greeneyes
    • 17th Oct 07, 12:11 PM
    • 17th Oct 07, 12:11 PM
    A few years ago I contacted Lush to enquire about one of their ingredients. I had a lengthy conversation with the lady and I blagged my way into being one of their human testers. I regularly get all kinds of products to test and report back on. It's saved me a fortune and I get to try all their new suff free

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 23-10-2007 at 7:10 PM.
    Wedding date 31 October 2008 - MSE style of course
    Mis-sold endowment mortgage - compensation - Ł1,523.97
    26.01.09 - I'm finally mortgage & debt free
    2009 wins: box of L'Oreal goodies: Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish: USB wireless modem: iPod Shuffle
    • Greenfox
    • By Greenfox 17th Oct 07, 1:16 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Greenfox
    • 17th Oct 07, 1:16 PM
    Free Goods
    • 17th Oct 07, 1:16 PM
    If you find a product that you like, then write a letter of praise to the manufacturer. It's suprising what response you'll get. Most people write to complain, but for the cost of a postage stamp and a few minutes of your time writing a letter, free goods or vouchers are often received.
    Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 19-10-2007 at 12:33 PM.
  • michaelbailey
    • 17th Oct 07, 3:22 PM
    • 17th Oct 07, 3:22 PM
    When you arrive at any hotel start by politely asking if a free room upgrade is available. Occasionally they'll shrug their shoulders and say no but more often than not they'll do something for you. Worked successfully for us on several occasions often getting a sea view for free and occasionally a suite or penthouse. Usually works better if you ask before they've started checking you in on the computer as the only person who can reverse stuff on computers will be on a coffee break for 2 hours.

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 23-10-2007 at 7:11 PM.
  • Mike Knott
    • 17th Oct 07, 6:14 PM
    • 17th Oct 07, 6:14 PM
    If you find a product that you like, then write a letter of praise to the manufacturer. It's suprising what response you'll get. Most people write to complain, but for the cost of a postage stamp and a few minutes of your time writing a letter, free goods or vouchers are often received.
    Originally posted by Greenfox
    This maybe great, but please don't ever ring up to compliment on a supermarkets own brand product. As the supermarkets charge their supplier as if it's a complaint, as the companies that gather the complaint stats can't distinguish between a complaint and a compliment! Which is scandalous so it's better not to do anything even if you do love the product.
  • siren13577
    • 17th Oct 07, 8:32 PM
    • 17th Oct 07, 8:32 PM
    Great post, I don't know whether I'm brave enough, although I did email Warbutons and ask for some vouchers before my son's birthday, they sent me five vouchers for 50p off a toastie loaf. The best bread IMHO but not very money saving at over £1 a loaf.

Bit confused though, why is Face (Dirk Benedict) a blagger? I'm trying to remember the A-Team but can't quite put my finger on it.

Thanks
    :

Siren

Keep Smiling

Eight words ye Wiccan Rede fulfill - An’ it harm none, Do what ye will.

• freebee
    • 17th Oct 07, 9:39 PM
    • 17th Oct 07, 9:39 PM
    Face man was the biggest blagger on tv, what ever the A-team needed face blagged it.

I loved the A-team. Check it out on UK Gold
  • siren13577
    cool thanks, I thought it must have been something like that. I used to watch on Saturday mornings, must catch up and relive my lost youth. Thanks Freebee.
    :

Siren

Keep Smiling

Eight words ye Wiccan Rede fulfill - An’ it harm none, Do what ye will.

• Mosh
    • By Mosh 17th Oct 07, 11:01 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Mosh
    Never ask for anything too huge (although it never hurts...) if you're just after a feebie for the sake of it. I just came back from a 1000-mile charity walk and managed to get freebies from a couple of companies who - by policy - don't help charities other than those they select at the start of the year.

Be polite, don't expect anything and ask for something specific. The Elestoplast people gave me a nice package with suncream, lip salve, plasters (I needed them!) and so on. DFDS knocked 20% off my ferry fare for the one part I couldn't walk. Dymocks (Australia's answer to Waterstones) gave me a free European road atlas. Kudos in Cardiff gave me a brand new rucksack at cost price, and some other equipment in for free.

Also, be persistent. DFDS ignored my first email and letter so I rang them up!

P.S. If you liked this post, please consider going to www.bdcf.org and dropping them a quid. They're the nice people I was raising money for on my walk!
    • sanjaymaz
    • By sanjaymaz 18th Oct 07, 9:43 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    sanjaymaz
    Eat out for free
    My sister-in-law and her fiancee went to a wedding show a few months ago. They signed up with all the catering and restaurant firms at the show and they've eaten out at "free tasting" for several months courtesy of this trip. Their Ł15 ticket saved them many Ł100's in meals out - my wife and I will try this next year !!
    • sjpsam
    • By sjpsam 18th Oct 07, 9:47 AM
    • 321 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    sjpsam
    I sent an email to stabilo asking them if they had any product information or samples for left handed pens as my son is left handed and there were so many brands on the market,

They sent me a free pen and 10 refills for it and a load of info for us and to pass onto his school.

If you like what I say please say thanks
  • black-saturn
    So has anyone got any tips as to what I could blag for my wedding? Anything in the way of drinks, food or table decorations?
  • Governor
    Has anyone got any good ideas for getting sponsorship for schools? Don't want to rip anyone off, but it would be good to establish mutually beneficial relationships with companies (national and local) near to the school where I'm a governor. Funding sources would also be much appreciated!
  • kerrydrobertson
    ive ben sending letters and emails to companies for years and have always had something back whether it be vouchers or samples.
    • rmg1
    • By rmg1 19th Oct 07, 3:44 PM
    • 2,950 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    rmg1
    Just blgged a 2GB (yes Gigabyte) datastick from a company. It came with Lotus Notes on it as it's supposed to be used instead of laptops where possible. I asked for a testing sample as we may be looking to purchase quite a few and they sent me one.
    Never got past our buyer but i didn't tell them that.
    Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse?

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
  • persontypething
    Oh my goodness- that is one of the sneakiest things I have ever heard !!!

I have been burgled though and I just couldn't cope with the fact that I was profiting from someone else's misery...not everyone has insurance....living in an area badly affected by June's floods, it has become clear just how many people don't have contents insurance...

I hope people don't go trying this one out!
  • michaelbailey
    This involves a little expense to begin with - you need to buy one of those marker pens whose writing can only be read under infra-red light. You then spend every Saturday touring Dixons, Comet etc. and write your postcode and house number on all the electrical appliances, stereos, TVs, fridges etc. that you can manage.

After a year or so, you should begin to receive weekly calls from the police asking you to come and collect 'your' property from the latest batch of swag they have recovered.

All you need then is an eBay account and there you go! Riches beyond the dreams of avarice!
    Originally posted by Rudolph Hucker
    Sounds like something from Viz
  • Cazzdevil
    My brother walked Hadrians Wall last month for charity and rather than paying full whack for his new hiking boots, he contacted Scarpa direct, explained what it was for and blagged them for cost price, PLUS got a free pair of walking poles worth Ł50!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,852Posts Today

7,367Users online

Martin's Twitter