Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 4th Nov 17, 8:07 AM
    • 662Posts
    • 2,489Thanks
    loopybecs
    This Newly Single Mama Is On A Mission!!
    • 4th Nov 17, 8:07 AM
    This Newly Single Mama Is On A Mission!! 4th Nov 17 at 8:07 AM
    I said that my last diary would be my last. But I was a different person back then...

I had created it 12 months ago. I was a mum, with a partner of 7 years. 2 daughters who were just toddlers. A nice 3-bedroom house. And a fair bit of debt to clear.

Fast-forward to now and I am a single mum to a 4 year old and a 2 year old, and am just about to move into a brand new apartment that I purchased. My ex bought me out of the family home. We used some of the equity to clear the credit card debt. We do however owe my parents a whopping £14.5K that I would like to clear asap!! Plus I am planning on making overpayments on my new mortgage... as I only have me to rely on now I want to be financially secure.

Me and my ex are on good terms but it's been HARD. We split up over 9 months ago, I am in the family home while he is living with a relative until I move out. I bought a new build as I was told it would be ready to move in in June. I didn't get the keys until 18th October! And I've had to get new flooring, new furniture etc that I couldn't sort out prior to getting the keys because the builders kept moving the date out but I'm getting there and hopefully in a week's time I'll be living there and we can both get on with our lives!!

So, the debt!! My new mortgage is £88,000. I did the Help To Buy Scheme which was £27,500. And I owe my parents £14,500 which is a joint debt with my ex.

No other debt thankfully and I would like it to stay that way!

In the past when trying to clear debt I have been too frugal and as such, I have made the debt worse by going crazy and shopping like mad So I am going to try and have a nice balance between clearing debt, saving, and treating myself. I need a life, otherwise what is the point? But I do not need ANOTHER pair of black high heels so its about being sensible Hopefully it works!

I work in Accounts part-time (25 hours a week) and I also have a work from home business. Which has taken a back seat this year due to the stress but hopefully I can pick it up once I am in the flat. I do get tax credits too as I have agreed to pay for DD2s nursery fees (£780 a month!!!).

I will try and keep up this diary as I have enjoyed writing them in the past. I am very easily distracted though so no promises!! xxx
    Last edited by loopybecs; 09-04-2018 at 9:06 AM. Reason: Trying to be more anonymous
    Mortgage: £88,000.00 £86,045.43
    Loan From Parents: £15,300.00 £14,900.00
    Emergency Fund: £450.00/£5,000.00

New Car Fund: £350.00/£6,000.00
    Single mama to 2 little girlies
Page 9
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 7th Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Thank you I do try & put other people before myself. Being selfish doesn't come naturally to me but maybe it wouldn't hurt to put myself first a bit more sometimes.

I'm not going to think about the Ex & M situation too much (this is a total lie, but I'm going to try!!)... if me & M aren't meant to be then we will split, and if me & Ex are meant to be then we'll get back together. I'm going to take each day as it comes and not think too far forward

One thing I have realised though is that I don't enjoy living on my own as much any more. Obviously I have the kids 50% of the time, but they're in bed by 7:30pm when they're here so I have no-one to talk to from then. I miss living with someone and the last 2 days I've found myself looking on Rightmove for houses that I could afford with someone I've done a complete 180 as just a few months ago I was adamant that I'd never live with anyone ever again!

My poor mum had the girls for me today & she looked so shattered when I arrived to pick them up bless her. DD2 has been a little sod all evening and I put her in bed early because of her behaviour. That child does test me sometimes! I've also decided to knock the potty training on the head right now as she's not interested & it's just stressful for everyone. There's no point continuing if she's not ready.

Money wise, not much is happening really, I'm just plodding along making low spends and updating the spreadsheet. It feels like I'm not making much progress, but then I think that I'm not getting myself into more debt, the debt I do have is going down, I have some savings and I'm being more careful when I buy something

2 more days at work and then I'm off Hopefully the weather will cool down soon as today was another scorcher and the office was unbearable!!

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 8th Aug 18, 11:40 AM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    loopybecs
    My £5.00 mortgage overpayment has now hit my account The balance is £86,505.30 so Iíve just paid another £5.30 to make it a nice round number

I got a bit of a buzz when I saw the balance had gone down I could get addicted!!

• mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 8th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,698 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Brilliant news on the mortgage overpayment Becs, I always like to round mine down too!!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 8th Aug 18, 7:53 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Thanks mummytogirls, I think paying little amounts off throughout the month will keep me more motivated than paying one larger amount once a month

Iíve only just got home from work I left over 3 hours ago! I collected DD2 from nursery, and when signing her out one of the staff members asked me to only bring knickers in for her tomorrow and not pull ups. They think that sheís ready to be fully potty trained, but she prefers to wear pull ups, so if they arenít in her bag then she has no choice. Personally I donít agree with it because sheís clearly not ready. I donít want to force her, sheís not even 3.5 yet so I donít know why theyíre so desperate to get her potty trained now. Iíd understand it more if she was 4 and about to start school but Iím confident she will do it before then like DD1 did (she was 3 years and 5 months old, so just ahead of DD2 now).

I dropped DD2 off at Exís and quickly said hello to DD1 who proudly showed me her new glasses They do really suit her, and she was very happy with them. DD2 will probably break them by the weekend

I then went to my friendís house as itís her birthday today. The traffic was horrendous (rush hour) and so I couldnít stay long as she had dinner plans with her boyfriend, but we had a quick catch up & she loved her personalised card and maternity pillow She said she was going to buy herself one so seemed really chuffed! Sheís 24 weeks tomorrow so I explained what viability day is and that made her even more excited Iím so looking forward to meeting her little baby boy when heís here! I need to somehow get her mumís or sistersí numbers to discuss a possible surprise baby shower for her

From there I went to Tesco with my shopping list that I had written out on my lunch break. I needed to spend £60 to get the 10p off a litre of fuel voucher, so I actually had to meal plan which Iím awful at doing I took advantage of the 3 for 2s and buy 1 get 1 frees and now Iím the proud owner of 16 toilet rolls, 4 boxes of kids cereal, 3 bottles of bubble bath and plenty more that will probably see me through the next 2-3 months I had to calculate the costs as I was walking round to make sure I had spent enough! I was thankful for my flat being a ground floor flat when I was unloading it all

Iím now going to have a shower, eat something, and chill. Iím meant to be doing housework too but shark week started today & the cramps are just delightful Realllly donít fancy vacuuming and scrubbing the floors while my uterus kicks my a**e!

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 10th Aug 18, 7:40 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    loopybecs
    It's Friday and the girls are in bed so I'm celebrating by eating chocolate any excuse! My weekend started last night as I had a day off today. No spends and my mum's beautician gave me a pedicure as my mum wanted to treat me bless her! So my toe nails are a Barbie pink with white nail art on them. The beautician complimented my feet (a rarity as they are size 9s ) and was surprised at how soft they were, seeing as it's flip flop weather which usually makes the skin go dry & hard. Whenever M comes round he always massages my feet with foot lotion which explains why they're so soft, bless him.

I had a nice catch up with a friend this morning before the pedicure, who knows Ex as he used to work with us. In fact, M was his replacement 8 years ago but we kept in touch and meet up around 4 times a year. We were talking about life and I ended up telling him how I'm feeling about M and Ex, just because he always gives good advice. He's a bit biased though as he has only met M once (8 years ago, on his last day with our company) and loves Ex to bits, so he said he would love nothing more than for us to reconcile. I'm still completely torn on the whole situation but trying not to let it effect how I am with M when I see him. We haven't worked together since 2nd August which has helped, but I saw him last night when he came over and it was a nice evening.

I'm trying to plan his birthday at the moment - it's in 10 weeks so I've got plenty of time but to stop me from overspending I want to start organising it now. It's so difficult though! I was toying with the idea of taking him to the Harry Potter studios in Watford as he's a huge HP fan, but tickets are £41 each and I absolutely can't stand it, which he knows, so it seems a lot of money when I won't enjoy it at all. I know it's for his birthday but he's been before (he did say that he'd go again) & I thought it would be nice to do something fun for both of us. Me walking around a studio bored probably wouldn't be that enjoyable for him.

A couple of comedians who we like are doing tours but tickets are so expensive so I'm stalking ebay for cheaper ones. Groupon have a couple of options like cocktail making & tasting so I'm keeping them in mind, plus I can normally get good cashback if I buy from them.

M did a fantastic job for my birthday... he took me to London for the day, which is my favourite place ever (except maybe Vegas!), and we went to the National History Museum (I'd been wanting to go for ages), Wagamamas for lunch (as I'm obsessed with their chicken katsu curry!), a nice walk through Hyde Park and then we were going to go ice-skating (another hobby of mine) but my feet felt like they were going to fall off, so we gave it a miss. It was lovely and he was very thoughtful so I want to do the same, and I love making people feel special on their birthdays. It was a massive difference between me & Ex as he never cared about birthdays, including his own.

DD2 got a sticker at nursery today for using the toilet she was very proud!! She still refuses to use mine though

My grandad is still in hospital and he had a brain scan yesterday - my mum is there now to find out if they found anything concerning so I'm anxiously waiting for an update. He's still so confused bless him - he was talking to one of his sons the other day but thought he was talking to the other son. It's been a week since he got rushed in and he's fuming as he just wants to go home. I do feel for him but the hospital is the best place for him right now.

My washing has just finished so I'm now going to hang it all up... so rock & roll here

• Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 10th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 2,253 Thanks
    Kitten868
    Hello lovely,

With your ex and your reasons why you split: you wouldn't have given it up unless it was the only solution left. In order for you two to work he would need to have a half brain transplant to keep the good points but also gain the ability to be spontaneous and want to do things for you etc. It's not that he's a bad person, he just isn't the one. You really put it across well. He's a lovely person and father but not the person you should be with. Do not worry about us judging you for not trying more or thinking you should put up with it. We don't. We also don't judge you if you do get back with him. It's your life and you know what you need.
    Maybe you just don't think things are working with M and that's why you should go back to ex. This is not the case. If things aren't working with M then that's that. There will be someone else out there better for you.
    I think when it's just boringly ticking along it gets hard to feel like its right but it means your nailing your debt busting. You have hit the groove. It's good. Keep going.

And sorry about your grandad. It's just horrible for every body. X
    Loan 1 £5500/£8000
    Loan 2 £3500/£5800
    Total £9000/£13800 35% PAID

And CC £1550/1900
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 11th Aug 18, 12:03 PM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,698 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Morning Becs,

Wow I can see why you want to make M's birthday special, he really did a great job on your birthday didn't he! Does he enjoy spa's or anything like that? You could have a night away in a nice hotel. Are you anywhere near Liverpool as I can recommend a really nice place there which always has good offers on and sometimes you can just pay a £25 deposit until a couple of weeks before.

Poor Grandad hope he's ok xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 11th Aug 18, 3:20 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Thank you Kitten You're right, I don't think he is the one, despite all his qualities. If he was a cheat or a bad person then in a way all this would be easier! I've been thinking more about it and I'm pretty sure that if we did get back together then it wouldn't work. He's a wonderful dad and a VERY good friend, but that's where it ends I think. It's a shame for him & the girls and I do carry a lot of guilt

Hi mummytogirls, I'm not sure if he's into spas to be honest. I think staying overnight somewhere with a hot tub & relaxing would appeal to him but not necessarily the treatments. Whereas I'd be having facials and full body massages all day!! We live nowhere near Liverpool unfortunately but I know he loves it there so it's a possibility! I did find a comedy gig in Milton Keynes (about 30 miles away) on the night of his birthday and tickets are only £12 each, so I've messaged the organisers (their booking system isn't working) and if they have tickets left then I'll book It doesn't start until 9pm so I'm going to try & find a really nice restaurant nearby so that I can treat him to a lovely meal before hand. Then I need to find a gift for him. He bought me some Black Opium perfume for my birthday He enjoys reading, cars, and of course Harry Potter

He's coming over later and I'm looking forward to it as I do miss him, and I'm feeling a bit down about my grandad. The staff at the hospital told my mum that they need to do another brain scan on him, this time with a needle(?). I don't know what they saw when they did the first scan but it's not looking good. Hopefully an evening with M will cheer me up

Today me & Ex took the girls to a big park about 15 miles away which had a beach theme going on. There was a sand pit, a couple of paddling pools, a helter skelter, an ice-cream stall and various other things including including a Prosecco van, which I avoided I spent the grand total of £2 while we were there which I'm pleased with. Unfortunately DD2 was being a typical 3 year old at times, and at one point she smacked Ex round the face She fell asleep on the way home so I think she was just tired. She's now laying on the sofa with DD1 watching a film

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 11th Aug 18, 5:26 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 7,698 Thanks
    MeandO
    Hi Becs,

I wholeheartedly agree with what kitten said above regarding your ex. I have been in an extremely similar situation to yourself - my ex husband and I split extremely amicably around 5 years ago and, basically, supported each other through our break up and were the very best of friends. We both did see new people in the months after our break up and, every time things werenít right with the guy I was seeing or I split up with someone these feelings of Ďdo I still have feelings about ex hubby and maybe we should just get back togetherí crept in.
    I think itís quite normal and almost a self-preservation reaction, especially when, like me, youíre not going at being by yourself. BUT as Kitten said, you went through the whole process of moving out, buying your new home, getting your girls adjusted to the new way of life and telling everyone you had separated which you would not have gone through without good reason. I donít know you or your ex and he sounds like a lovely bloke and Dad - my ex husband is too - but I really think you should accept that those feelings youíre having are just normal reactions in a long term relationship breakdown.

Also, I think you are being pulled in all directions as you feel so responsible for your exís happiness and you feel like you still need to look after him. You donít. And he will never move on or try harder if you are still picking up the pieces for him. Iím not wanting to sound harsh, I am only saying it because I have been there myself and I did so much for my ex, through guilt of the whole marriage not working and people feeling sad and lonely. Neither of us were of any fault for our marriage breaking down but the guilt of the whole situation does still eat away at you. You have to take a step back from the ex for both his sake and yours, my lovely, otherwise neither of you will ever be happy.

Although M may be lovely too, I think you know deep down that he is not right for you either and that is what is bringing all these feelings to the surface. Donít go down the same route again and settle for less than happiness Becs, youíve been there before and you donít want to go through it all again. Although it may not feel like it right now, I think a bit of time on your own will be a great idea. I know itís daunting sometimes, but it does clear your head a bit.

It does get easier. I promise. As does spending time on your own. Keep busy and give yourself things to look forward to. Challenge yourself to make every month better than the last and if you need a moan, a cry or anything weíre always here! PM anytime if you want a chat.

Much love lovely xx
    House repairs: £4320 £2336.62 (£1983.38 saved)
    Mortgage Feb 2015: £102,000 Mortgage now: £74,734.55 2018 mortgage OP's: £1636.81/£1800 Emergency Fund: £300
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 12th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Thanks MeandO, you hit the nail on the head there - I do feel responsible for my ex's happiness and I have thought recently that perhaps me caring so much is actually doing more harm than good. I think if he had more friends and opened up to more people then I'd be more comfortable with backing off, but he doesn't really have any friends, just colleagues & his family, and so I worry that if I don't talk to him about how he's feeling, then he won't talk to anyone and while he has depression I feel that it's a dangerous move. Especially when he's spoken about suicide Now that his medication has kicked in though I might try & wean myself off so that he can learn to cope without me. It feels weird though, letting him go

The strange thing is, I do think that M is right for me... sure there are things that need tweaking but he's more compatible with me than anyone I've ever met, including my ex. I have been holding back recently and he's picked up on it (which I felt terrible about) so I told myself to stop being so silly and we had a really lovely day today. It was probably the first time that we had a day like that since Ex found out. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, I do think we can work, we've just had a few challenges to face but hopefully it'll die down soon

It's a good job we told the MD a couple of weeks ago about us as while we were out today we saw his son, who used to work with us! I'm 99% sure he saw us but he didn't say anything to us, just walked passed with his girlfriend. I was never a big fan of him to be honest, but according to M I just froze when I saw him I don't know why I reacted like that as the MD knows, and Ex, so if this guy tells anyone then it doesn't really matter. I'd like to keep it under wraps for now if possible though, at least until we are in a really good place, consistently.

I got some birthday present ideas for M while we were out. We went to a shopping centre and he spent a long time in Schuh, eyeing up the Vans and a couple of other brands. Neither of us bought anything but it was nice to browse and hold hands in public We ate at Five Guys which was the first time either of us ate there and oh my godddd... I can now see why it's so expensive!!! It tastes AMAZING!!! So fattening though M was kind enough to pay, which I was secretly thankful for as a burger each, some fries to share and 2 milkshakes cost £30!!!!

I must admit, looking at all the girls shoes in Next makes me want to be rich so badly they're sooooo cute! But cost twice the amount that I spend on my own

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 13th Aug 18, 8:33 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    loopybecs
    My grandad has brain cancer

I suspected that is what they would say, not sure why, but despite being prepared for it I feel so upset. I am absolutely gutted in fact. Both my maternal grandparents diagnosed with the big C. My poor nanny was 64 when it took her life in 2005. What age is that?

My mum was looking after DD1 today for me while me & Ex were working. DD2 was in nursery. My mum contacted me at lunchtime to say the doctors wanted an urgent meeting before 4pm and I knew it was bad news. I left work at 2pm and Mum went straight to the hospital after I collected DD1. She was so sure it would be Alzheimers. I was more convinced it would be a tumour, and sadly I was right. Its currently the size of a coin and surrounded by fluid. His body is protecting it

My mum & my auntie have decided not to tell him at the moment, if ever. Tomorrow the doctors will do a full body scan to see if its primary and if its spread. They were honest though and said they dont believe that a man of his age would develop brain cancer, meaning they think the primary is somewhere else. My guess is prostate or bladder. He has had trouble there for years, but would he get checked out?! No!!

The position of the tumour is good. What I mean is, they could remove it, but his blood pressure is too high to stand an operation

Sorry for saying all this on here, I realise this is nothing to do with money but I treat this as my life diary too. To make it more MSE related I will say that its taking all my strength to not have some retail therapy right now! I have ordered my grandad a birthday card off Moonpig to satisfy the urge I have included 3 photos - one of me & him, one of him & DD1, and one of him & DD2. I hope he likes it. I have cancelled my date with M in a couple of days so I can go & see him. Unfortunately the girls are not allowed to go as they are under 12.

I am worried about my mum. She is the strong one and everyone leans on her its not fair. I will support her as much as I can but I feel helpless to be honest. Its such a rubbish situation
    Last edited by loopybecs; 16-08-2018 at 12:27 PM.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 13th Aug 18, 10:50 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 7,698 Thanks
    MeandO
    Oh Becs, Iím so, so sorry to hear the bad news. Sending hugs and lots of love and strength to you all. Keep posting and pour your heart out as needed xx
    House repairs: £4320 £2336.62 (£1983.38 saved)
    Mortgage Feb 2015: £102,000 Mortgage now: £74,734.55 2018 mortgage OP's: £1636.81/£1800 Emergency Fund: £300
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 13th Aug 18, 11:24 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 5,325 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    So sorry to read about your Grandad. Thinking of you...
    paydbx #93 £899.50/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £2994 in Aug 18
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 14th Aug 18, 7:10 AM
    • 202 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Rachel24
    So sorry to hear your sad news becs :-( thinking of you all x
    • monz
    • By monz 14th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    • 3,377 Posts
    • 11,224 Thanks
    monz
    aw I am so sorry for your news! I lost my last remaining granda to the big C due to asbestos exposure.

If you ever wanna talk mail me. i can even send you my mobile number <3
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    car PCP - £1,108.94/£11,848.25 mum and dad £1,650/£4,000 mortgage - £83,055 o/s currently - paid £1,400.36 (£35.90 overpayment)
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 14th Aug 18, 3:37 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate your comments. I didnít sleep too great but Iíve somehow managed to clean my whole flat, including scrubbing the skirting boards. I also caught up on my washing, which coupled with the cleaning really helps my mental state

I did a little top up shop after I finished cleaning. It wouldíve been cheaper had I not put ice lollies, chocolates and other treats in my basket but Iím not going to beat myself up over it! Some of the treats are for tonight when one of my friends comes round

No update on my grandad yet but my mum is there now, so will see what she says later. She seemed ok when I saw her briefly before I did my food shopping, but thatís just her all over...if life gets sh*t she will remain strong. She told me that Ex was texting her last night with some lovely messages, bless him. I forget sometimes just how caring he is (which then messes with my head ).

I saw the hygienist earlier for a scale & polish. Absolutely HATE going, but itís worth it and she gave me some toothpaste to use at night which will help reduce the inflammation. Apparently it tastes vile and Iím not allowed to rinse!!! But itíll work hopefully. I felt bad as at one point, when she was polishing my teeth, I accidentally bit her finger!!! Whooops!!! The total cost was £59.75, which is insane but luckily I can claim it back through the work health scheme

• mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 14th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,698 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Absolutely gutted for you reading about your Grandad Becs , glad you're keeping busy though, best way xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 14th Aug 18, 7:58 PM
    • 7,182 Posts
    • 15,609 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Sorry about your grandad and am sure you will be a great support to your mum. I am sure he will love the card.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 16th Aug 18, 12:56 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    loopybecs
    No further update on my grandadís health unfortunately. Heís had so many scans now and I think heís a bit fed up with them. He doesnít really know why heís having them as they havenít told him about the tumour, and he needs to keep a cannula in his hand so that the doctors can colour his blood, which is obviously uncomfortable. I went to see him last night and he was saying how much he misses being at home and drinking nice tea and seeing his friends at the local club, all those simple things that most of us take for granted.

His arm is clearing up nicely which is good and heís walking about a bit more My mum & my brother were there too and we took him to the garden outside the ward, where he had a cheeky cigarette I think seeing us all lifted his mood. I can definitely see why he doesnít want to be there any more as heís still on the dementia ward, and apart from the man who is next to him, all the patients are in a really bad way. It was so upsetting & it must really get my grandad down. Most were sleeping with their mouths wide open when I was there, and their skin colour was yellow. My mum said that some of them have had no visitors Itís heartbreaking.

My auntie & her husband are causing problems and if they do one more thing wrong they are going to get a shock when I visit them Especially the husband. Heís treating my mum with total disrespect and Iím not having it. He needs to wind his neck in!

Tonight Iím going on a much needed date night with M. Weíve gone halfís on a groupon voucher, which means we get 2 courses each for a total of £19.99 £5 a course! Itíll be a much needed distraction and I do love this particular restaurant

Iíve ordered most of DD1ís school uniform for next month and have asked Ex if I can take all of the clothes he has there for both of them so I can have a big sort out. Iím planning to eBay the clothes that no longer fit and use the proceeds to buy new clothes. We go 50% on their clothes so I think itís only fair that I use the profit to buy new ones. Iíll probably try & do some of it tomorrow as I have the day off We have a play date planned in the morning and then I need to do some food shopping, but I should have a couple of hours after that to go through their wardrobe I really need to invest in some storage but Iím trying to see how far I can go without it. They have a built-in wardrobe with shelves but they could do with some drawers. I might see if any are going cheap on FB or eBay

Lunchtime is over so time I go back to work

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 17th Aug 18, 8:36 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Iím patiently waiting for an update on my grandad from my mum, so Iíve come on here for a distraction. Otherwise Iíll just stare at my phone!!

The date with M last night was lovely, even though I ate way too much My sister is home for the weekend so we went to my mumís house to see her afterwards. It was the first time M met her they got on great!! My brother was pretty sociable aswell shockingly While we were there, my mum said that the doctors had decided to tell my grandad that he has cancer I canít even imagine what it would be like to hear those words.

I had the day off today and went to a local play area with some friends. It was nice to catch up with them while our kids played One of them brought a friend with her who I got on well with. Sheís also a single mum, and has been to Disneyland Paris so was giving me some tips, including money saving ones When I got home I sorted out all the kids clothes, so now their wardrobe looks much better but I definitely need to go shopping next month and I need to do a big eBay sesh!!!

Anglian Water have sent me a bill for £73 a month!!! I was straight on the phone to them, and they promptly reduced it back down to £31. There is absolutely no way Iím using that amount of water! I work full-time for a start so Iím hardly here during the week! Then thereís the fact that my girls are only with me 50% of the time. I e-mailed the developer again with a picture of the bill and told him to apply pressure on whoever is holding everything up as itís doing my head in! This leak needs to go

My train compensation from the big delay a couple of weeks ago is now in my pending transactions So is my child benefit, and my MSE Energy cashback from when I switched to Bulb So apart from the large water bill that almost gave me a heart attack, today has been a very good money day! I even saved 10p off a litre of petrol when I filled my car up, as I had a voucher

I go to Manchester tomorrow for the Britney Spears concert Iím not looking forward to the drive, especially as my friend has pregnancy bladder, but Iím sure itíll be worth it! I went food shopping today and I have enough food for the next 4 days so I wonít need to rush to the supermarket on Sunday. Hopefully Iíll have time to see my grandad too

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

3,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How much of your income do you spend on holidays each year? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/LZ3YIGra1p

• RT @FinanceJames: @MartinSLewis Absolutely do. I've been shouldered out of the way by cyclists - while on a bike myself - because I'd stopp?

• I no longer have a car. I mostly walk (& occasionally cycle). I don't need lecturing on bad drivers, I lost my moth? https://t.co/tsBYUEhRjt

• Follow Martin