Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 4th Nov 17, 8:07 AM
    • 665Posts
    • 2,514Thanks
    loopybecs
    This Newly Single Mama Is On A Mission!!
    • 4th Nov 17, 8:07 AM
    This Newly Single Mama Is On A Mission!! 4th Nov 17 at 8:07 AM
    I said that my last diary would be my last. But I was a different person back then...

I had created it 12 months ago. I was a mum, with a partner of 7 years. 2 daughters who were just toddlers. A nice 3-bedroom house. And a fair bit of debt to clear.

Fast-forward to now and I am a single mum to a 4 year old and a 2 year old, and am just about to move into a brand new apartment that I purchased. My ex bought me out of the family home. We used some of the equity to clear the credit card debt. We do however owe my parents a whopping £14.5K that I would like to clear asap!! Plus I am planning on making overpayments on my new mortgage... as I only have me to rely on now I want to be financially secure.

Me and my ex are on good terms but it's been HARD. We split up over 9 months ago, I am in the family home while he is living with a relative until I move out. I bought a new build as I was told it would be ready to move in in June. I didn't get the keys until 18th October! And I've had to get new flooring, new furniture etc that I couldn't sort out prior to getting the keys because the builders kept moving the date out but I'm getting there and hopefully in a week's time I'll be living there and we can both get on with our lives!!

So, the debt!! My new mortgage is £88,000. I did the Help To Buy Scheme which was £27,500. And I owe my parents £14,500 which is a joint debt with my ex.

No other debt thankfully and I would like it to stay that way!

In the past when trying to clear debt I have been too frugal and as such, I have made the debt worse by going crazy and shopping like mad So I am going to try and have a nice balance between clearing debt, saving, and treating myself. I need a life, otherwise what is the point? But I do not need ANOTHER pair of black high heels so its about being sensible Hopefully it works!

I work in Accounts part-time (25 hours a week) and I also have a work from home business. Which has taken a back seat this year due to the stress but hopefully I can pick it up once I am in the flat. I do get tax credits too as I have agreed to pay for DD2s nursery fees (£780 a month!!!).

I will try and keep up this diary as I have enjoyed writing them in the past. I am very easily distracted though so no promises!! xxx
    Last edited by loopybecs; 09-04-2018 at 9:06 AM. Reason: Trying to be more anonymous
    Mortgage: £88,000.00 £86,045.43
    Loan From Parents: £15,300.00 £14,800.00
    Emergency Fund: £450.00/£5,000.00

New Car Fund: £350.00/£6,000.00
    Single mama to 2 little girlies
Page 13
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 9th Oct 18, 8:57 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 6,851 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    How frightening!
    Hope there is an innocent explanation, but definitely get the locks changed ASAP.

ETA: would it be worth logging a call with the police? Not that I would expect them to do anything at this stage, but if you did notice anything out of place etc at a later date at least there would be a report of it?
    Last edited by WelshKitty85; 09-10-2018 at 9:00 PM.
    Enough is enough...
    £29,603 (22/7/18) £23,121.27
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 10th Oct 18, 9:07 AM
    • 263 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    Starmummy
    I might do that afterwards in town, and treat myself to some cheap cleaning products from Home Bargains
    Originally posted by loopybecs
    You are so rock and roll

I hope you're feeling better today lovely.
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £12,267.85/£12,618.12 (Total debt at LBM c..£19k)
    EF savings £650.02 House Deposit (LISA) £136.25/£12,000 1.14%
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 10th Oct 18, 9:11 AM
    • 263 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Just read your last post that's horribly unsettling. Good shout on getting the locks changed.
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £12,267.85/£12,618.12 (Total debt at LBM c..£19k)
    EF savings £650.02 House Deposit (LISA) £136.25/£12,000 1.14%
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 10th Oct 18, 6:17 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    loopybecs
    I took pictures of the kitchen floor before I cleaned it last night, so if something else happens later at least Iíll have them saved, plus my e-mails and texts to the developer and his decorator who did my snag list recently. Iíve been worried all day about my flat, but everything looks ok! Hopefully Iíll sleep better tonight as I kept waking up last night thinking someone was sneaking around the living room!!!

Today has been a disaster... the universe clearly hates me as everything that could go wrong, did! I wonít bore you with it all, but the top 3 were spilling food down me, leaving my keys at the Post Office when collecting Mís presents, and taking 2 contraceptive pills by accident I suppose you can never be too careful

I did some food shopping at Aldi today! First time in 3 years - my local one has a very small car park so itís a bit of a nuisance, but today it wasnít busy so I went in and got a basket full of food, cleaning stuff, and bedtime pull ups for DD2 for £13.09 Very pleased with that! And proud that I remembered to bring my bag for life which I always forget Iím going to try and go there more often as I can definitely improve the amount I spend on food.

Unfortunately I wasnít a complete saint today as I also had a Subway lunch £3.70. Naughty Loopy! I did get 2 free cookies though

I need to jump in the shower now as M will be here soon. Heís feeling a bit down I think, so hopefully Iíll be able to cheer him up.

Oh yeh, I nearly forgot, I rang the doctors today but they were closed for a training day! Fingers crossed for tomorrow...

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 11th Oct 18, 7:08 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    loopybecs
    I managed to see a paramedic nurse at the doctors today! Who basically said that my throat didnít look sore, and I need to gargle salt water, and drink lemon & honey water. I donít know how my throat looks well, it certainly doesnít feel it! Iím going to do what she said and if no better in 2 weeks then I need to see my GP. Fingers crossed it works!!

M is feeling down again today. Iíve invited him round but he said he just wants to chill at home, which is fair enough, so Iíve had a nice shower using my lovely smelling products and Iím going to do a big eBay sesh If I get time and can be bothered Iím going to do some cleaning aswell. My mirrored furniture needs dusting Ex has got the girls tonight but I get them back tomorrow

I finally met my friendís new baby earlier! Heís 7 weeks old but only just 9lbs so still teeny He is absolutely adorable. And my friend looks so well considering she is recovering from the caesarean and knackered from the sleepless nights! Her little one has colic and silent reflux, and doesnít sleep well bless him. He had to have his tongue tie snipped today too Poor poppet. As lovely as it was having snugs with him, it still didnít make me want another one

Today was a NSD. I have £3.04 on its way from TCB, which will cover most of yesterdayís Subway

Right, time to eBay all these clothes in front of me

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 12th Oct 18, 6:32 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Another NSD today, so thatís 4 this week!!! Iím hoping to avoid spending money tomorrow with the girls but Iím not promising as they might need a run around at soft play. Theyíre both in their pyjamas now and watching Peppa Pig DD1 got 100% in her spelling & maths tests today! And DD2 has had a hard day of eating and eating and eating According to her key worker at nursery, she ate 3 portions of lunch and 3 portions of dinner! Maybe sheís having a growth spurt...

Iíve also eaten well today. For dinner I had leftover Thai green chicken curry - I cooked it last night and was really pleasantly surprised! I bought the kit for £1.40 at Aldi, & then I just needed the chicken & some veg. I already had rice here as I bought loads last month when they were on offer. So delicious!

Ex told me today that he asked someone out on a date yesterday Iím not sure who it is as he wouldnít tell me, but going by what he said, Iím guessing itís someone from DD2ís nursery. Either a worker or another Mum. Unfortunately she turned him down, but the fact he had the courage to ask shows that his mental health has come a long way!! I was pleased when he told me. Hopefully he finds someone lovely soon.

M is in a better place now too. I didnít see him at work as he had the day off, but his messages are more positive. Iím seeing him on Sunday but the weather is set to be miserable, so it might just have to be a film, sofa and yummy food day!! Itíll keep the pennies down too After last weekend in London Iím looking forward to a more chilled one. Especially as next weekend is his birthday weekend and will be busy!

The weather is scary at the moment so hope everyone stays safe!!

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 13th Oct 18, 6:04 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    loopybecs
    I didnít make NSD number 5

This morning while the girls were eating their breakfast I decided to do a stock take. I saw pasta & bolognese sauce, so I decided to go out and buy some meatballs to go with them Together they will make 2 evening meals next week. Tonightís dinner was already sorted which Iíll come to later. Also in my kitchen cupboard was a tub of Green & Blacks hot chocolate powder and marshmallows begging for some whipped cream! So I also bought that, as well as some milk and chocolate mini rolls (DD1 wanted them and I can never say no to chocolate ). £6.02 for all 4 items from Iceland and I wonít need to buy anything else for 4 days.

M is cooking for us both tomorrow He will be doing a chilli in my slow cooker. Iím providing the chilli powder and rice, and he bought the rest of the ingredients today from Lidl. I then have my 2 portions of pasta bolognese for Monday & Tuesday. Iíll do a small top up shop on Wednesday for 2 days, and then Friday is Mís birthday take-away-with-the-family night Followed by the expensive meal at the trendy steakhouse that Iíve booked for Saturday evening. So the groceries budget is looking fab, unlike the entertainment one!!

Tonightís dinner was a big jacket potato with melted cheese and beans. And because Iím a piglet I decided to heat up 5 chicken dippers aswell Yum!! The girls had some cod fishcakes with baby potatoes, and they shared the tin of baked beans with me. DD2 is still eating for England, so Iím convinced sheís having a growth spurt. I wonder if growth spurts make you grumpy? Sheís been a moody mare today!!

While I was in town shopping in Iceland I decided to pop into Wilkinsons for some cleaning products. I figured I might aswell, seeing as Iíd already spent money! I got £9 worth of products for £5.90 I then took the girls to see my mum, who was filling me in on all the family drama this week. Iím so glad Iím not involved Her neighbourís son is having a party tonight at his house for his 21st and Iíve been invited. I used to babysit him when I was a teen Iíve decided not to go though as I donít really know the family that well any more and I feel exhausted. I didnít sleep well last night & today has been quite tiring. I just want to get into my pyjamas, drink hot chocolate, and watch Strictly whilst applying a face mask to my tired dull skin

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 14th Oct 18, 8:27 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    loopybecs
    NSD number 5 of the week was today! Partly thanks to the weather as it has been awful all day, so apart from dropping the girls off at Ex's house this morning, I've stayed in. M came over and put the chilli in the slow cooker (there was so much food! I have a portion in my fridge to have tomorrow, which means one less meal to buy for next week ), and then we spent the day watching films and looking at holidays for next summer Nothing booked yet, but there is a hotel that we really like the look of so we may go for that one.

Tomorrow I'll need to get petrol (exactly 2 weeks since I last filled up which is amazing for me!!) and possibly some bread. Nothing else should be needed!

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 15th Oct 18, 1:40 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Itís a miserable Monday today So Iím at my desk eating tomato soup, because what else do you have when itís cold, dark & raining?! I have bread too

It cost me £46.47 to fill my car up with petrol this morning, so about £4 cheaper than last time. My tank wasnít as empty which is part of the reason, but the other reason is I checked online to see which petrol station was the cheapest before I left the house Something I always forget to do! Today it was Sainsburyís, and my local one is on my route to work, so very convenient!

Iíve been looking at travel costs for this weekend (Mís birthday meal at the laa-de-daa steakhouse), and I think Iím going to drive the 130-mile round trip instead of getting the train and spending £32 on tickets for us. Itíll use about £15 worth of petrol, & then Iíll only need to pay for parking (which may be expensive as weíll be in a major city centre, but there are some car parks that charge only 50p per hour, so it all depends on whatís available when we get there). The nearest train station to us without having to change at another station completely out the way is 13 miles away, & Iíd need to park my car there which would cost £6.60. In a nutshell, the total costs for going by train is £42 ish, whereas driving is £20 ish. No brainer! We wonít have to rush back then aswell. If I feel tired I can always have a coffee

My mum has kindly offered to collect DD1 from school today AND take her swimming. Angel! She also asked me if I wanted anything from Tesco as she was about to go food shopping, so I asked if she would pick up some bread, milk (didnít realise how low I was until this morning) and 2 jacket potatoes (1 to have with my leftover chilli later, the other to have with cheese & beans later in the week) for me. Will pay her later but itís saved me a job & sitting in town traffic after work! I still need to get fruit and some cleaning products but theyíre not urgent & can wait.

Feeling very blessed today, for having 2 healthy gorgeous girls. Sure, they drive me crackers sometimes but they give the most amazing cuddles and affection, and I honestly donít know what Iíd do without them. Today is Wave Of Light day, when at 7pm local time, everyone in the world who has been affected by the death of a (unborn) baby or child will light a candle & leave it burning for at least 1 hour. Iíll be lighting mine for my baby girl who died in my tummy in January 2014. I canít remember if Iíve spoken about her in this diary. She was very poorly, and sadly had to be born when I was halfway through my pregnancy. She was absolutely beautiful, like her sisters, and I know sheís watching over them

• Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 15th Oct 18, 6:10 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 5,373 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Sorry for your loss Loopy. What a lovely act of remembrance.
    paydbx #93 £899.50/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £2994 in Aug 18
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 15th Oct 18, 7:56 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Thank you Honeysucklelou2. Iím sat on my sofa with a candle burning in front of me by the TV. Very happy that my girls are with me tonight. Iím feeling emotional and I snuggled them until they were sick of it Theyíre in bed now, although not yet asleep as I can hear them whispering

Facebook & Instagram are looking very pretty with all the pictures of candles burning. They say that babyloss happens to 1 in 4... which is absolutely crazy, but believable as I unfortunately know too many who have experienced it. So much heartache. When I tell the story about my angel baby, I forget that itís me it happened to. Which helps me not to get upset.

Anywayyyyyyy I have a small update with regards to the water leak situ (WHEN WILL IT END?!). Anglian Water for some bizarre reason left a voicemail on my mumís phone about it... I have no idea why they called her or why they even had her number on my account! But anyway, I called them back & they said they would contact the developer and the landlord to try & speed things up. I gave them all the details they needed, so fingers crossed!

Whilst feeling a bit earlier I decided I would transfer the money I was going to put into savings at the end of the month, today. I felt like I needed a boost, and the middle of the month is so boring. I transferred £100 too much though Iíve left it there, but I may need to transfer it back later! Thereís now £450 in my emergency fund, and £350 in my new car fund. I canít believe that I have £800 in savings! Me!! Having savings!!

It might be back down to £700 soon though

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 16th Oct 18, 8:19 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Tuesday is almost over YAYYYYY! Today has reminded me why I hate Tuesdays

Firstly, the weather forecast said it was going to be sunny and 20 degrees today, so I let DD1 go to school without a coat. It was cloudy & miserable and when I collected her from the childminder’s she said she was cold at playtime Bad mummy! I felt terrible.

Secondly, I feel poorly today but I can’t explain why. I just feel off, like I’m going to get ill. I really hope I don’t, not this week!!! Too busy!!!

Thirdly, work was rubbish and I ended up having a massive rant to M in a meeting room, mainly about certain staff and their laziness and lack of “team playing”. I’m working my socks off while they’re doing very little, and some of my work isn’t even my job! Plus, the new guy comes into work 20 minutes late EVERY DAY. M ended up speaking to him and said it’s not good enough, but apparently he just said that he reduces his lunch break so it should be ok? Errrr, no! He’s still in his probation so it’s pretty stupid of him. I’m not sure he wants to stay anyway, he’s hinted before that he’s not happy.

And finally, Ex hasn’t come over this evening, and he didn’t yesterday either. He normally comes round after work when I have the girls as he wants to see them - this is the first time he hasn’t. I’m fine with it, but I’m just wondering if he’s ok, & it’s making me worry a bit. It’s very out of character.

The positive stuff now!! Anglian Water rang me again today to say they’ve spoken to the developer, the landlord and the management agents about the water leak and given them 2 weeks to sort it out. The woman was very nice & she sounds like she doesn’t take any messing around I’ll be getting a very nice refund when this is all done!

I updated my spreadsheet after the savings boost yesterday, and the verdict is I won’t have to transfer anything back IF I AM REALLY CAREFUL!!! I can feel a massive meal plan for a big Aldi shop happening I’ve put all my plans for the next 6 weeks into the budget including social events (such as the meal this weekend & a girls night out next month), nails & hair appointments, eyebrow tint & wax, Halloween costumes for the girls (as it’s only for one day I’ve asked my friends if any of them have spare outfits from their kids that we could borrow) and a baby shower present. I usually spend about £200 a month in Tesco on food, toiletries and cleaning products. I’m hoping that by going to Aldi more then I can cut this right back. I have £7.64 to spend on my Boots advantage card too which will be handy for the toiletries!

I’m not doing ANY Christmas shopping until 30th November as the budget is so tight. I don’t mind, as I hate storing presents It’ll be difficult as I love going to shopping centres in November and walking around with a Christmassy drink from Costa & feeling all festive!!

I’m meant to be wrapping up M’s presents tonight but I really can’t be bothered. There are 5 gifts to wrap and I’m cr*p at wrapping! Does that make me a bad girlfriend? Probably!

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 17th Oct 18, 12:24 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Just paid £100.00 to my parents I was due to pay them it on pay day in 2 weeks time, but it was sitting in my account and I thought why not?! That means Iíve paid a total of £500.00 to them so far, which is 3.27% (or 6.21% of my portion of the debt). Such low figures and I probably wonít be able to pay them anything else until 27th December, unless I take it from my budgeted mortgage overpayments and savings. Itís hard getting the balance right!

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 18th Oct 18, 1:44 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    loopybecs
    I may have found some extra monies in the shape of an old iPhone!!! I had a 6S just chilling in my drawer, and Music Magpie have quoted £102.60 for it Unfortunately I am having trouble logging on as some random Apple ID is set up on it No idea whoís it is because Iíve been the only owner!! A colleague has sent me a link on how to bypass it but I need a laptop, so Iím going to borrow Exís tonight. If successful I can send it off once I know everything has been wiped

In other news, my service charge invoice has arrived and is only £3.70 over budget Still £450 though! I will pay it next month before the due date.

Halloween costumes have been bought for the girls on eBay & Amazon - a total of £14.89 spent including delivery. Ex will give me half They will both be going as witches this year! Mum had already got them broomsticks I wonder if she will let them borrow her black cat

I wrapped Mís presents last night & then he came over. We went for a 2.5-mile walk which I needed as I was feeling a little down. My mum had called me with an update on her friend & apparently the cancer has spread to her brain. Sheís been given a 20% chance of survival now She wants to fight so hopefully theyíll offer treatment for her. I just canít imagine how sheís feeling Bless her.

Speaking of the dreadful disease, today is Wear It Pink day and we have already raised loads of money at work for Breast Cancer Iíve had some yummy cupcakes & have guessed the number of sweets in a jar (I usually win that one ). I love that everyone is in pink Itís my favourite colour & has brightened my mood! I played some Xmas songs on my way to work this morning which also lifted me We should be doing a quiz later for more money raising

And finally, today marks a whole year since I got the keys to my flat!! The relief was incredible

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 19th Oct 18, 12:43 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Having the most stressful day at work everrrrrrr BUT 4 hours until home time! And we have plenty of sugary supplies here to keep me going

Honestly, this week at work has been so rubbish. I wish I could offload properly, but I worry that someone I know will read it and work out itís me! Anyway, I am hoping this afternoon is a bit calmer

Today is Mís birthday and tonight I meet ALL his family. Mum, Dad, Nan, Sister (and her husband, and their baby twins) and Uncle. At least it gets it out the way Iím not feeling nervous yet but I probably will be when I arrive. I think the plan is to have a chinese take-away round his sisterís house, as she will be putting the twins to bed. I wonít have to give him his card & pressies as he came round mine last night and wanted them then. I think he liked them

I donít have much to report money-wise. My tax credits went in today so my bank account is looking much healthier! Itís all allocated though at the moment, so no transferring to savings or clearing debt As for the iPhone, I couldnít get it to work last night so the next time Iím near an Apple Store I will take it in with my proof of purchase & see if they can fix it. I really hope they can as itís not my fault that thereís a random personís Apple ID on there!

I need to go back to work now. Iím not sure how much Iíll be on over the weekend. Fingers crossed I donít go over budget!!!!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,435Posts Today

7,037Users online

Martin's Twitter