Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 4th Nov 17, 8:07 AM
    • 620Posts
    • 2,273Thanks
    loopybecs
    This Newly Single Mama Is On A Mission!!
    • 4th Nov 17, 8:07 AM
    This Newly Single Mama Is On A Mission!! 4th Nov 17 at 8:07 AM
    I said that my last diary would be my last. But I was a different person back then...

I had created it 12 months ago. I was a mum, with a partner of 7 years. 2 daughters who were just toddlers. A nice 3-bedroom house. And a fair bit of debt to clear.

Fast-forward to now and I am a single mum to a 4 year old and a 2 year old, and am just about to move into a brand new apartment that I purchased. My ex bought me out of the family home. We used some of the equity to clear the credit card debt. We do however owe my parents a whopping £14.5K that I would like to clear asap!! Plus I am planning on making overpayments on my new mortgage... as I only have me to rely on now I want to be financially secure.

Me and my ex are on good terms but it's been HARD. We split up over 9 months ago, I am in the family home while he is living with a relative until I move out. I bought a new build as I was told it would be ready to move in in June. I didn't get the keys until 18th October! And I've had to get new flooring, new furniture etc that I couldn't sort out prior to getting the keys because the builders kept moving the date out but I'm getting there and hopefully in a week's time I'll be living there and we can both get on with our lives!!

So, the debt!! My new mortgage is £88,000. I did the Help To Buy Scheme which was £27,500. And I owe my parents £14,500 which is a joint debt with my ex.

No other debt thankfully and I would like it to stay that way!

In the past when trying to clear debt I have been too frugal and as such, I have made the debt worse by going crazy and shopping like mad So I am going to try and have a nice balance between clearing debt, saving, and treating myself. I need a life, otherwise what is the point? But I do not need ANOTHER pair of black high heels so its about being sensible Hopefully it works!

I work in Accounts part-time (25 hours a week) and I also have a work from home business. Which has taken a back seat this year due to the stress but hopefully I can pick it up once I am in the flat. I do get tax credits too as I have agreed to pay for DD2s nursery fees (£780 a month!!!).

I will try and keep up this diary as I have enjoyed writing them in the past. I am very easily distracted though so no promises!! xxx
    Last edited by loopybecs; 09-04-2018 at 9:06 AM. Reason: Trying to be more anonymous
    Mortgage: £88,000.00 £86,372.84
    Loan From Parents: £15,300.00 £15,100.00
    Emergency Fund: £200.00/£5,000.00

New Car Fund: £50.00/£6,000.00
    Single mama to 2 little girlies
Page 10
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 20th Aug 18, 8:11 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Well, Britney didnít disappoint She was so good! And we were 4 rows from the front which I wasnít expecting!! So we had great seats Pitbull, the support act, was amazing too. Such a cool dude he is I didnít spend a lot the whole time we were there, only £20 and that included Ubers and food. My friend gave me £25 towards fuel as it was a 300-mile round trip, so that helped!

The Travelodge room was awful lucky we were only there for one night!!! I couldnít have stayed any longer!!! When I got home I had a lovely hot shower, got dressed, & then went to Primark where I bought some clothes for the girls... much needed after last weekís clear out! I didnít get much but itís a start, and Ex will give me half

I received my child benefit today... it wouldíve gone into Septemberís pot, but to make the budget look much better Iím using it this month. You get 13 CB payments a year so Iíve decided to use my double bubble this month Im doing the same with the tax credits in October, as thatís when EasyJet release their flights to Paris so itíll really help with that. And the huge service charge that will be due

Today is my grandadís 82nd birthday. Unfortunately due to having the kids, I canít see him, but Iíll go later in the week. The doctors are giving the scan results tomorrow afternoon Iím dreading it. Iím expecting ďprostate/bladder cancerĒ and ďterminalĒ. My poor mum had a bit of a breakdown yesterday so Iíve booked DD1 in for a day at DD2ís nursery so that she doesnít need to look after her. It costs £41.60 but itís completely worth it. Sheís got her for me tomorrow morning but then Ex is collecting her at midday as heís booked half a day off, and then thatís it for these holidays. Bless her, I very rarely ask her to look after my children and she was so happy to when I asked for some help during the summer holidays, so itís just bad timing with my grandadís fall and hospital stay.

DD1ís behaviour is getting out of control. I honestly think itís down to being off school for so long, I canít wait for her to go back!!!! The holidays are too long in my opinion. Especially when youíre trying to be frugal. Iíve ordered a load of activity books, exercise books, reading books and stationery from The Works. I got it up to £20 for the free delivery, and there was already so much in my basket, but then I found a discount code after I applied it I needed to spend an additional £4.50 to qualify for free delivery so I ordered even more stuff! Such a bargain (and I got £2.04 cashback ). Hopefully having these books and some structure & routine (and decent food... I love my mum but she feeds her so much junk, as well as Ex) will help combat her recent behaviour. Sheís usually the good one!

Things with M arenít great. I feel like we are mostly just friends, but thereís a side to him that Iím really beginning to dislike. The things he says makes it seem like he sees me as a threat at work, and I have no idea why he would think that, unless heís completely insecure and not confident his ability. Iím starting my ACCA soon and he keeps saying he needs to pick up his CIMA again, as he doesnít want me to overtake him and be more qualified. It just feels like heís not being supportive at all. Heís not done any exams in years and Iím his only motivation, but in a negative way. If I took an exam, and passing meant Iíd be more qualified, he would want me to fail! Itís really making me angry. I need to talk to him about it but heís in a bad mood tonight, because his ex has contacted his mum.

I need someone to be my cheerleader and want me to be the best I can be. He is not that person it seems. Not only that but I struggle to agree with a lot of his decisions and actions at work. And he always manages to wiggle himself out of situations. Snakey.

I keep looking at Ticketmaster for more gigs I want to go and see Britney again! Iím seeing Craig David soon so thatíll keep me going

• TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 22nd Aug 18, 8:09 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Sorry about your grandad loopybecs, hope he's feeling more comfortable soon.

About M though Honestly, I would reconsider if I even wanted to be with someone who still hadn't finished his CIMA years later and is only motivated by threat, not progression. Really poor form, I'm sorry he made that comment to you, must have been very uncomfortable. You're wonderful and deserve the best. One thing I've learnt in relationships is to never ignore any of the red flags, even the tiny ones, even the ones you want to explain away. They always turn into bigger ones later on. Good luck
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 22nd Aug 18, 8:37 PM
    • 7,051 Posts
    • 15,256 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I think I would agree with the above. Supportive partners don't see their partners as threats if they go for extra qualifications/new responsibilities. You sound as if you have more get up and go than him which can be difficult in a relationship especially if he is old fashioned about not wanting a woman to be more successful than him.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 23rd Aug 18, 9:41 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Thank you both. We had an argument a couple of days ago Basically none of the bosses were in at work, and he spent most of the time away from his desk & skiving in other departments. Iíve been waiting for months (since my promotion) for him to pass me stuff, but he wanted to wait until all the year end tasks had been done before giving me it all. He kept going on for weeks about how busy he was, but then he was on his mobile phone a lot, and chatting to other colleagues for ages about non-work stuff. I was getting really annoyed and after watching him do very little work on this day, I just exploded. I accused him of purposely holding stuff back from me because he sees me as competition, especially after his comments about how he must always be more qualified than me. I was so angry I very nearly called time on our relationship!

He cried, and strongly denied that he was holding me back. He said the comments about him doing his CIMA again is because he is lazy, and he knows that Iím very disciplined so if I donít want to see him because Iím studying, then he will want to study too. Iím not sure Iím buying it but he sounded convincing. Heís also since given me much more stuff to do at work, most of which I didnít need training on as I just looked at what he usually does & followed the same rules. I think he thought it was going to involve hours of training... Iím not blowing my own trumpet but I think he forgets that I do have a fairly decent brain!! And common sense

I saw him last night & things are ok now, but I do feel like thereís no spark there. I donít feel ready to end things yet, but I also canít see much of a future now

My grandad - as expected, itís terminal The good news is that the cancer is nowhere else, but they are not going to give him much treatment. Only a bit of radiotherapy. He knows whatís happening now and he just wants to go home bless him. I saw him tonight and heís just fed up. I donít blame him, the ward heís on is awful and Iíd be going crazy in there aswell They are getting a care plan in place and making his home safe, so hopefully it wonít be long.

The news forced me to spend money!!! And Iím not returning what Iíve bought I was totally naughty but I donít really care. I bought myself a blazer dress type thing for the Craig David gig next week, and a dress for my mumís birthday outing soon I got £2.92 cashback so I was still a bit of an angel when ordering I also ordered the girls some more clothes, which I still need to collect from the store. Must remember to do that! I got DD2 a gorgeous dress for Christmas. I saw it last year and it was £30, and Iíve now bought it for £8!!

The books from The Works arrived today and Iím so impressed! Iíve chucked out most of their arts & crafts things, cleaned the drawer out with a floor wipe, and put in their new activity books, drawing pads, pens, crayons & glitter glue and now it looks very neat & tidy. Iíve also stuck a Frozen rewards chart on my kitchen wall, mainly for DD1 as she has been CHALLENGING all week!!! She goes to nursery tomorrow... praying it helps!

I wasnít just naughty after I heard my grandadís news, I also put another £100.00 into my emergency fund Slowly building it up! Now to get through the bank holiday weekend on not much money

• efes shareholder
    • By efes shareholder 24th Aug 18, 9:21 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    efes shareholder
    So sorry to hear about your grandad - I hope his course of treatment makes him as comfortable as he can be and keeps the nasty disease from progressing for as long as possible.
    Hopefully he will get his wish of going home soon x
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 27th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Well I don't know what's happening to me but I seem to have fallen off the MSE wagon Saving and paying off debt suddenly doesn't interest me one bit, and I've definitely spent more than I wanted to this weekend. I've been food shopping twice, bought the girls pyjamas and socks which could've waited, socks for myself (3 for £5, definitely required as I threw out loads and autumn is definitely on it's way!), a meal out, coffees out, parking at shopping centres etc I don't know how much I've spent in total, at a guess I'd say £70. I do have a £13 refund that's pending though as I returned some jeans that were too short for the kids (DD1 is a size age 7 now apparently!!). I keep browsing clothing web-sites aswell Need. To. Stop!

I think part of the reason is because whenever I visit my grandad in hospital I always see so many patients who look like they're days from death, and that "life is too short" quote pops up in my head. Plus I've been watching documentaries like 9/11 and the 7/7 bombings

The meal out was a bit of a disaster. I went to Zizzis with M, my first time going and also my last... The food was really disappointing, the service was slow & the staff were rude. I used some Tesco Clubcard vouchers so it only cost £14.80 for 2 courses each & drinks but I begrudged paying for it as it was awful M wasn't impressed either. The food gave me the worst IBS flare afterwards aswell

That aside, I did have a nice day with M. It'd been a while since we had a day like that and I did feel the spark again so maybe it's not quite over yet

DD1's behaviour is a little bit better since I bought all them books from The Works. She was happily doing them on Saturday and I noticed that she was much easier to deal with throughout the day. I normally drop the girls off at Ex's at 5pm on a Saturday, but he looked half-dead when I saw him on Fridsy so I told him I'd have them on Saturday night too so he could have the whole day off. I was a bit worried about having the girls for that long as they tend to fight a lot when they are together all day, but by keeping them as busy as possible they were pretty good DD2 gave me a fright though when I got her ready for bed - her arms & legs were covered in a horrible looking rash. My friend suggested I call 111 so I rang them and the nurse guessed it was hives. It was gone by the next day but it gave me a fright, even though she didn't seem ill or anything!

Me & Ex took the girls out today, and he's now at DD1's swimming lesson with her while I'm at home with DD2. I'm hoping all the exercise they've done today, plus the nice dinner they'll have a bit later (salmon fillet, with baby potatoes and green beans), plus fresh bed sheets will mean they'll sleep well!!

Oh yeh, I almost forgot... my friend had a babyyyy! A little boy, and despite only being a week early he weighed 6lbs 5oz! So small! My friend was induced because she had gestational diabetes and they were expecting a big baby Unfortunately the induction didn't go to plan and my friend had to have an emergency caesarean bless her. She's very sore but she's home now and I'm patiently waiting for her to invite me over to meet the new squishy

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 29th Aug 18, 7:49 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    loopybecs
    I still haven't met the new little squish... his poor mummy is recovering from major surgery so as desperate as I am for a cuddle I completely understand that she probably just wants to rest as much as possible. Plus she will have so much family visiting I remember the early days well... it was hell on earth whilst recovering from a 2nd degree tear and an episiotomy

Unfortunately we've had more bad news regarding my grandad. He can not have radiotherapy after all Doing so would kill a lot of brain cells and so it's impossible. He was offered chemotherapy, which he refused understandably, so now it's a case of speeding up the process of getting his house safe and booking carers in. He will stay at home until he gets too poorly, and then he will no doubt go to the same hospice that my lovely nanny was in So strange, I was at a charity ball for this hospice in June! Didn't think I'd be going back there again but the nurses seem to think he will be going there at some point.

He will have 2 carers seeing him everyday once he is home. Social services are going to assess his house to see what he needs. The hospital are trying to discharge him now which is insane as he would no doubt fall over or something... they really need to wait until everything has been sorted for him. My poor mum is so stressed out about it all. I've not seen her in almost a week because she's been running around everywhere trying to do everything. I've offered her so much help but she's too stubborn to accept. She's going to make herself ill at this rate.

Another stressful situation is my failing attempts at keeping my relationship with M private at work. Last night, Ex told me that a few weeks ago one of our colleagues (let's call him 'A') saw M's car outside my apartment, and told Ex! He didn't know that Ex knew that we were together... imagine the sh** storm that would've followed had Ex not known about it I was so mad. A had no right to do that - to be blunt, who I see is none of Ex's business, and vice versa. Until we introduce the children of course. Ex also told me that he's told another colleague, as it got brought up when he was discussing his depression with her. I'm glad he spoke to someone but I wish he had told me at the time. I would've stopped making so much effort to hide the relationship if I knew that people had already found out. Gossip spreads like wildfire there so no doubt quite a few people know now. I'd be surprised if anyone is that interested!!

Money stuff now and tonight I put 3 items on eBay on a 10-day listing, and one has a bid on already I paid for DD1's breakfast club for next term too...I had budgeted £307.50, but then saw that they had increased their prices by 25p a day. I felt a little disheartened I put in a random discount code, and then at the checkout they had applied ANOTHER discount on top of that, so total cost was £272.31! I know it's only £35.19 from the original budget but it felt like I won the lottery That money will be spent on getting my roots done and a trim this weekend, plus have my clip-in extensions put in for the concert I can't put them in myself, no matter how hard I try

DD1's behaviour is swaying from one end to the other. She's either an angel or VERY challenging I had the day off with her yesterday and she was so good... doing work in her exercise books, being polite, eating nicely at the table etc so in the afternoon I took her out for a hot chocolate & a cake. While we were out, she saw a handbag that she liked, so I said if she gets 5 stickers on her chart by the end of the week then I will buy her it. Once we were home she had turned into the devil, so no sticker, and none today either as she has been extremely difficult for Ex Sigh. 8 days until school starts!!! Ex kindly put all her labels in her new school uniform today and he is sending me half the money for it all on pay day, plus a few other bits I've bought. We were discussing money last night and he was open to the idea of me helping him budget I really hope he lets me, as right now he doesn't think he can afford certain things like cheap holidays and I know he can, he just needs to be more sensible.

I put in the bank holiday damage into my spreadsheet today... and it's not as bad as I thought September has a lot going on, but if I can stop spending then it'll be ok!

• WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 29th Aug 18, 8:27 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 6,566 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    So sorry to read about your grandad. I hope social services get their assessments done ASAP to get him back home x
    Enough is enough...
    £29,603 (22/7/18) £27,572.40
    • monz
    • By monz 30th Aug 18, 8:40 AM
    • 3,337 Posts
    • 11,080 Thanks
    monz
    If you need help with forms PM me I do Welfare Rights so anytime <3 or if you want I can PM you my number <3 xx
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    house pot for bobs after fees : 33
    car PCP - 948.95/11848.25 mum and dad £1,300/£4,000 mortgage - £83,378 o/s currently - paid £934.10 (£19.65 overpayment)
    Christmas - 0/500
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 31st Aug 18, 12:33 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Thank you both. The brain tumour he has is called Glioblastoma, and it's the worst type there is. Without treatment, prognosis is 3 months He might not see Christmas, and even if he does he will be too poorly to enjoy it. Today marks 4 weeks since he was rushed into hospital and he's just so fed up & upset now, all he wants is to go home. We are hoping it will happen next week. Fingers crossed.

In more sad news, a lovely friend of mine is likely to have miscarried. She needed IVF to get pregnant, and after 2 failed rounds she got her positive pregnancy test last month. Her first scan was yesterday, and baby was measuring perfectly, but they couldn't find a heartbeat She is having a 2nd scan today as this particular early pregnancy unit has better equipment, so I'm praying they find a heartbeat. She's been through so much & deserves this happiness.

Sorry for being all doom & gloom, I don't really have a lot of happy positive things to say! Other than I had a lovely evening with M last night. And I'm off work with DD1 today, who has so far been an angel. Fingers crossed it continues... she still has no stickers on her chart it's definitely been one of them weeks! 6 days of no school left

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 3rd Sep 18, 6:36 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    loopybecs
    I had an amazing weekend but it seems like such a long time ago now after an eventful day at work and stroppy kids!!! Theyíve both been to nursery today, where they were apparently angels, yet once they got back to mine they let their inner devil go crazy 3 more days to go until normality! Theyíre both back at nursery tomorrow and then Ex has DD1 on Wednesday whilst DD2 is at nursery. I decided to save my holiday and spend some money on childcare for DD1... good for my sanity, not so good for my purse! I donít mind admitting that I struggle a lot with school holidays, even with just one child, and these summer holidays have been hell at times. My ex and my mum would agree too. Kids need routine & structure and in my opinion these holidays are far too long, and Iím not the best at giving them constant entertainment & keeping their brains stimulated, especially on a budget. I try my best of course, but what with my grandadís illness and stress with my ex & M, itís not been easy this time. 7 weeks of no school is just hellish and Iím glad to see the back of it

Today at work I got asked outright by a salesman if I had a boyfriend I was aware of the rumours circulating regarding me & M so I decided to just be honest and tell him. I find it so awkward talking about it at work but at least itís out in the open now & I'm sure by next week there will be something else for them to gossip over! I also let A know that I was aware that he had seen Mís car outside my flat and it embarrassed him a bit, probably because he knows that he went running to Ex instead of telling me! Iím glad he felt embarrassed, he should be.

My beloved black knee high boots, that I bought with my first full time wage 14 years ago, died on Saturday night They served me well but I was gutted! They were uncomfortable at the Craig David gig because they were so worn...I spent most of the night sat with M in the seating area while my friend was in the standing bit with her sister-in-law! It was still good though, he put on a good show. Rita Ora was good too My friendís sister-in-law knew someone at one of the bars at the venue so was getting us free drink. Unfortunately the drinks were bottle ms of wine and they tasted absolutely disgusting! You couldnít pay me to drink it! Vile. So I stuck to my cans of strawberry daiquiris that I sneaked in

On top of the knee high boots I also had other shoes & clothing die this weekend... including a pair of flip flops (bought 10 years ago), a pair of brown boots (bought 9 years ago) and a pair of jeans (no idea when I bought them). So strange that they all just decided to give up at the same time! I bought some black over-the-knee boots online last night They are from a shop that specialise in tall clothing, so the length should be perfect for my height. Normally, over-the-knee boots in regular shops are not over-the-knee on me

All direct debits went out today, except my phone bill which gets taken out around 23rd. I bought some brown paper in my lunch break for my eBay items, and collected some passport forms for the girls. Next step is to get their photos taken which Iím dreading already! Itís going to be hell on earth I just know it

My food shopping budget is a little on the high side. Probably because I spent a small fortune when I decided to cook a Sunday roast yesterday. Ex joined us for dinner and it was lovely DD1 had an ďepisodeĒ but apart from that it was great! And I ate leftovers for my dinner tonight I have enough in my fridge for at least 3 more days so Iím not doing too badly, I just need to get some cheap ingredients next time.

An update on my friend... she has indeed miscarried So sad. She is going for a procedure tomorrow, yet sheís being so strong & saying she will use her last frozen embryo after Christmas. I honestly donít know how she does it, I think Iíd break. I had 2 early miscarriages before DD1 and they absolutely crushed me. To go through IVF aswell, it doesnít bear thinking about.

I have a friend popping over tonight who Iíve not seen in ages she usually cancels but so far sheís still planning on coming over! Will be nice to catch up, and get the kids in bed

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 4th Sep 18, 7:45 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    loopybecs
    I had a lovely time last night catching up with my friend She was telling me about all her holidays, and that she's going to Disneyland next year! I don't know how she does it... she's constantly skint yet spends so much. She told me she spent £900 on a week in Skegness recently!! How do you even spend that much there?! I do feel jealous sometimes that she's able to eat out regularly and go away, but I also know that she's in so much debt and has CCJs against her, and I'm definitely not jealous of that!

I had more colleagues wanting to know what's happening with me & M today The reaction has been really nice but I still find it so awkward talking about it! Especially because Ex works there too, not that he heard any of the conversations... *that* would be awkward! M isn't in for the rest of the week now but he's left me plenty to do, mainly audit prep. Joy! I'm seeing him tomorrow night which will be nice, I think we are just going to have a movie night at mine

My mortgage is now down to £86,372.84 I put in a claim last month for my hygienist appointment and that's now in, so an extra £59.75 in my account Unfortunately I have had to pay £200.60 to the property management agents for ground rent & buildings insurance I so want to buy a house for this reason! My fixed rate on my mortgage ends on 30/11/2019 and I'm seriously thinking about moving then. I love my flat, but sometimes having it really bugs me. Next month I've got to pay 6 months worth of service charges which will be around £450.00!! I just keep thinking that the extra £100.00 ish a month that I pay just for living in a flat could be spent on a bigger mortgage and living in a house

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 10th Sep 18, 8:20 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Gosh, it feels like an age since I last updated! I'm rubbish at writing on here lately

The biggest update is of course DD1 going back to school! Hurrah!!! It was her 3rd day back today and she's really enjoying it They've now changed their uniform policy slightly & have asked that children wear their PE kit all day on the days that they do PE. Year 1 is on Mondays, which happens to also be when she has her swimming lessons after school, so tonight she was very tired! She is improving loads at swimming. She still needs the floats but she's picking up speed & confidence and she enjoys it which is the main thing.

DD2's nursery have sent me an update on her progress and I'm so proud of her. Her speech not that long ago was really behind, and now she is exceeding their expectations! Her understanding, maths skills, listening and attention are also exceeding She's such a doll. She's now in her final year at nursery, so I'm really keen to get her fully potty trained. We knocked it on the head a couple of weeks ago, but she's been leaking, despite having frequent changes, so we might aswell go for it! I had a chat with her tonight when she was having her bath and explained that if she wants to go to school with DD1 (which she desperately does!) then she needs to wear "big girl knickers" and "use mummy's toilet" (she hates it for some reason). She uses the toilets at nursery so I know she is capable. She just needs to get over her fear of mine

My grandad is going home tomorrow I'm thrilled for him, but also thrilled for my mum. She is so so stressed She broke down yesterday when sorting his house out apparently. I told her I'd help but she wouldn't have it! She kept playing down what needed to be done, and because I was ill she said my brother was going and didn't need any more help. I wish she had asked me. His new hospital bed was delivered today & he will be sleeping in his lounge. Once he is home with his 24/7 care plan, it will be so much easier for my mum. 2 of her 3 siblings are going to help her tomorrow when he goes home.

I suppose I'd better update on my finances

Firstly, 2 of my 3 ebay items sold & I now have £23.66 in my PayPal account

Secondly, I saved money yesterday when my friend cancelled on me. I budgeted £40 as we were meeting at a fancy shopping village. I kinda knew she would cancel though, she always does. I was feeling rough but I still would've gone. Instead I stayed at home, did some cleaning, did some food shopping, and then M came over and looked after me He even insisted that I have a nap, and whilst I was in bed, he packed up my ebay items and cooked us a roast dinner! He also rubbed my feet & was just generally lovely all day It sure made up for the hellish 3 days at work last week when he wasn't in! It was awful because of reasons I can't say on here, but we really could've done with him being in. He wasn't even doing anything! Just chilling at home I'm all for time off, but not when sh*t hits the fan & you have no plans, and you are the most important person in the company bar the directors...

I've forgiven him now We have planned a lovely date in a couple of weeks at a fancy Chinese restaurant, and I'm really looking forward to it! We are also looking at holidays for next year

My over the knee boots are great! If anything though they're a bit long Not something I normally say! I've also treated myself to some work trousers. Very much needed as I only have 1 pair of full length trousers for the office, and autumn is on it's way. What wasn't needed was the 2 pairs of jeans, grey fine knit tunic top, and leopard print slip on trainers that I bought I did get 20% off them when I hunted for a discount code! But still, it's £67.96 that I shouldn't have spent! I don't seem to have much willpower these days. The weekend cancellation, plus my ebay items that have sold, have almost paid for the damage and I'm going to ebay more later this week. I have plenty more to sell!

Despite the crazy spending my spreadsheet is looking ok Everything I have planned is budgeted for and I still have over £100 left to play with, which I'm hoping to not dip into too much. Ex was meant to transfer me some money, but he messed up when buying his new prescription glasses (he couldn't claim back as much as he thought), so as I need to use his credit card next month when booking the flights to Disneyland, I'll just pay him back the difference. I'm tempted to pay it directly to his card though as I don't trust him to do it!

I'm still feeling rubbish with my chesty cough and sore throat so I'm going to wash up, and then get myself to bed

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 11th Sep 18, 7:53 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    loopybecs
    What. A. Day.

And no, it wasn't a good day!!

I felt so so ill, I didn't get a break at work, 2 colleagues annoyed me for being totally lazy whilst I was working my butt off despite being ill, and after work I had a million things to do before I could go home & relax. And even now I can't relax too much as my washing is almost finished

Trying so hard to think of something positive to say!

Oh, it was a NSD no time to spend anything!

• WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 11th Sep 18, 7:57 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 6,566 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Hope you're feeling better soon
    Enough is enough...
    £29,603 (22/7/18) £27,572.40
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 12th Sep 18, 8:40 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    loopybecs
    I am still feeling ill and will be going to bed soon but I have managed to put 5 items on eBay, so I'm feeling pretty smug! I've also offered to eBay some items for Ex as the poor bloke has been scammed and he is skint As you all know he's been through a lot recently and decided to treat himself to some football tickets. Unfortunately, away games are based on loyalty and if you didn't go to many games last season then you are low priority, and quite often he can't get tickets for that reason, so tries to get them 2nd hand. The other day he sent a bank transfer to a stranger on Twitter who was selling 2 tickets for a game this weekend. And boom, he'd been scammed £65 gone just like that! He's feeling very silly & stupid. I'm trying to get the guy's Facebook details but it's proving difficult. What a scumbag! Hopefully after an ebay sesh the loss won't be too huge. I've also told him to set up a Paypal account so that this doesn't happen again.

My grandad is now at home They are predicting that he has 8 weeks left which just seems crazy to me. It's going to take me a while to accept I think. My mum deserves a medal... it's thanks to her that he has the all singing all dancing care package. She had to fight hard bless her, just so that he can have the best end-of-life care you can get. There's a lot of tension between her & her siblings right now as quite frankly they are selfish & let my mum do all the hard work. I get so cross about it I can't wait to take her out for the day on her birthday next week! She deserves a break.

Work is still tough so no change there!! The temp accountant did bring in biscuits though

I've applied for DD2's primary school place can't believe how much she's growing up! She apparently didn't wee at all once nursery changed her & put her in knickers this morning so I'm worried she was holding it all day. Will see if she does it again tomorrow.

In other exciting news I paid my car tax for 6 months it was £66. Could be worse I suppose!

Right...bed!

• loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 14th Sep 18, 6:34 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Iím no better, but I have exciting news regarding DD2ís toilet training!!! Ex picked her up from nursery and they said she went to the toilet 3 times! She came home with loads of stickers We praised her and she got really shy but I could see she was proud of herself, so I asked her if she wanted to sit on my toilet, and she said yes! She has never said yes to that So we went to my bathroom, she sat on the loo, and weed!!!!!! Sorry if this is all TMI but Iím sure most parents will understand my excitement this is a big deal! Iím so proud of her.

In money news, I ordered my mum a free birthday card off Moonpig thanks to having enough credit in my account I have been prepaying £5 in exchange for 25% extra credit for a while now, so itís nice that I could order a nice personalised birthday card at no cost! 5 days until I can surprise her with my plans hopefully I wonít be ill by then.

Work is still crazy busy and probably a big reason why Iím still feeling rotten. Iím going to spend this weekend resting as much as possible. Wonít be easy tomorrow as Iíll have the girls, but Iíll try my best! I need to rest... last night M came over but after an hour I had to send him home so I could go to bed, at 8:15pm Itís taking up all my energy to fight it!

• Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 14th Sep 18, 9:05 PM
    • 1,065 Posts
    • 4,952 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Yes, totally get that joy! Well done to your DD!
    paydbx #93 £804.50/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £2994 in Aug 18
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 15th Sep 18, 10:06 AM
    • 6,306 Posts
    • 23,565 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Hope you're feeling a bit better Becs.

Boo to ex losing the money, I hope he has learnt his lesson from it.

Great news that your Grandad is home, lets hope outlives their expectations (as long he's not in pain mind).

Brilliant news on DD2 too xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 17th Sep 18, 7:39 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Despite feeling rough all weekend I had a fairly nice one I didn't do much on Saturday, just took the kids out to get their passport photos done. DD1's was straight forward, DD2's was a nightmare a combination of her not looking at the camera, blinking loads, and the photos coming out blurry I've risked it anyway and sent the pictures off with the passport forms and birth certificates. Hopefully they accept them and the passports arrive in time for me to book the flights next month We go in 203 days so not long now

I also saw my mum on Saturday who was very much in "mother mode" and came over with a bag full of goodies, including a magazine, some nice wraps for lunch, chocolate, and juice bless her. I can't wait to spoil her on her birthday I told her tonight she needs to dress up for our outing, like she's going to a christening or something and she looked so confused

On Sunday I spent most of the day with M. We did a bit of food shopping as he offered to cook a roast again I had most things already so I just needed the meat (we went for pork) and some Yorkshire puddings We also went to Primark where I bought the girls some clothes and some bits for mum's birthday. And I got some face masks for me and M as we thought it would be fun to try them They were those peel-off masks and it was hilarious putting it on as it was so messy! He could only do half of his face because of his beard

I felt ok this morning, thanks to a fairly chilled weekend, but after a stressful day at work & dealing with an audit I'm feeling awful again. A headache, a sore throat and the annoying cough, plus feeling absolutely exhausted Tonight after I put the girls in bed I will eat my dinner, hang my washing out to dry, wrap my mum's presents, and then go straight to bed. I need another early night

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,559Posts Today

7,983Users online

Martin's Twitter