Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 3rd Nov 17, 12:05 AM
    • 8,717Posts
    • 48,519Thanks
    Sue-UU
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11
    • 3rd Nov 17, 12:05 AM
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 3rd Nov 17 at 12:05 AM
    Hello again Potters and welcome aboard to any new members, I never thought we would have been running THIS long, but here we are starting off with "SPC "No 11"!!! Where have all the years gone since it first began, apparently very fast for sure! It's very hard to believe that we have now been running for a full decade and are now on the way into our 11th year!!!! We've had 10 amazingly money-saving years, but it's all purely because of the determined saving of you all - many thanks to you amazing folk who have made SPC what it is!!

For all newcomers...yes "Old Timers" too - it's so very important to please read through this entire post to see what the SPC is all about, dates for counting up and our re-opening date etc.. However, please be sure to Join the forum first in order to be able to join the challenge - if you haven't already! For ALL SPC members, please chat away on this SPC 10 thread about your conquests, money-saving ideas etc from Post 4 (below) onward, it gives encouragement to all, including yourselves as it keeps the motivation to save far stronger.

For all newcomers - a really huge heartfelt welcome! We're a terrific bunch who just adore greeting more members to the flock. Please read through this entire post and you'll be aware of why SPC is so special. You all settle in straight away and become part of our saving family!

The idea is to save as much as possible throughout the following year until just before Christmas - which this year will be to open our pots on Thursday the 1st November 2018. We save it in pots that we've pre-sealed to stop us being tempted to open them. Any spare cash can be put away, every day/week/month, whatever is best for you. If you have change left over after you've been shopping - pop it in the pot! After all why not! However small the change...the likelihood is that it won't be missed, and might otherwise have been wasted!

Most of us put in the difference in that we've been saved on special offers etc, it's all saved at the shop so it makes sense to save it in the pot to mount up!

Below are the basics for making your pot and sealing.

Firstly: Get yourself a pot, and remember - it doesn't need to cost much - if anything. If money's tight then use any pot for now, I.e. A sweet tin, coffee jar..extremely MSE!! Next - seal it with sellotape and be sure to make a slit in the lid, big enough for a 50p to go in, that way all coins will fit in. Later on, if you wish, you can always take advantage of finding a cheap pot in the sales after Christmas, or put one you fancy on your Christmas list! You can always buy ready sealed tins from reasonably priced shops! They're usually about a POUND from a store!!

It can also be interesting and challenging to make yourself a Papier Mach! Pig (or any animal) etc by using Frugaldom's recipe by clicking here then going to Post No. 597 of SPC 1 or by going to a totally separate thread papier mach! Animal here. Many thanks to Frugaldom.

After selecting your pot, seal round the lid with sellotape or superglue if necessary. Again, be sure to make a slit in the top that is the right size for a 50p to go in! NB. If you make a Papier Mach! Pot you will need to "operate" on it at the end of each challenge! Still, you can always have the pleasure of making a new one towards the end of the year, or getting the kiddies involved - if you're the daring type! The mind could run riot with what to model!

Terrimundi pots are available in many shops and on-line, they're very attractive and another ready sealed way to save, and though the manufacturers and retailers would have you believe differently, you DO NOT need to smash them to remove your cash!! I've used mine for 10 years...and at the end of each year's (since 2009 when I graduated from a carton!) challenge, hubby and I have a whale of a time, doing things the 'old' way by tilting the pot and using a knife! Though, a few years ago DH bought a 12" steel ruler in from the shed which is thin and broad and perfect for the job. So be assured that, so long as you go carefully, you CAN use them again and again....unless you drop the darned things!! They are costly though, but this is where your Christmas list comes in handy, though always keep a look out in charity shops too!

Regarding the Sealed Cans many of you use, apparently the best way to open the sealed tins is, rather than using a tin opener, squeeze the side of the tin, where the seam meets and you can pop the seal and tip the money out that way.

The term roadkill = any money found on pavements, parks etc; even in car parks or on shop floors etc.

NB. A few notes of interest.

1/ Any money given as a gift (other than Birthdays, Christmas etc) i.e.. Inherited can not be included as savings. Likewise any money put directly into the bank cannot be counted as savings with SPC. Money from small second jobs is ok, such as cleaning for Mrs Bloggs down the road/ taking in ironing, a part-time job or anything similar is ok to be saved. Any savings saved via Christmas Clubs can also be used in your SPC Totals, it's another way of saving for Christmas after all. Money received from cashback sites such as Quidco, topcashback etc can be included in your pots. Likewise, any money made from sales on E-Bay, Facebook or similar can be saved.

Also it is possible to include all other savings from MSE Challenges with your SPC Totals i.e. the 2 Challenge as, apparently they aren't put down on the challenge threads themselves. If you're unsure, please ask on the thread, and remember - there's no so thing as a stupid question!

Second incomes can come in many varied and very lucrative guises and anything such as that would be unfair to other members. Mostly the SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save during the year...mostly it's relatively small amounts which are saved from wages, housekeeping, good budgeting etc. Remunerations via the letting of second homes cannot be included in the SPC.

2/
    Whenever you're in the dilemma of "ooh should I buy that?" If you don't need it, but just want it - leave it there and pot the cash instead, you'll be much more satisfied with the accomplishment, pleased with your self-discipline too. All too often, if I go back a second time I find I didn't even like whatever it was anyway.

3/ You can ask me to put a Target on for you to try to meet (it goes alongside your name and number on the 2nd and 3rd posts below) but it's not necessary. If you do set one, but are unable to meet it, it doesn't matter at all, at least you will have tried! A few people keep account of all they save, but most of us count what we save daily or weekly, then put it on the thread to help encourage others.... Ourselves too, then we pot it and forget about it and.... wait for the surprise at the end of the year!
    If you are hoping for a particular amount by Declaration Day but still want a nice surprise come November, work out what amount you would like, then work out how much you will need to save (pot) on a weekly or monthly basis in order to achieve it. Save that sum regularly as well as potting any spare change after shopping, that way you are bound to come out on top and have a surprise come November!
    4/ Mainly SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save in a year for Christmas 2017. However, over the last 9 years we've had some members who needed theirs at sometime throughout the year for bills, and personally I'd far sooner they take the cash out for that than pay more interest or...miss a due date! You can always start again, even if it's getting later in the year, you can even include what you needed to take out on Declaration Day, after all, you will have saved it!! Whatever you need to do, don't worry about it - be happy and proud you have saved!
    Please don't worry about the amounts others save! We are all individuals with such varying jobs/incomes, each with different expenditures and commitments etc so while some find saving a real struggle for others it's obviously easy. However, it's the pleasure we all receive from our personal potting results - whatever you manage to pot, be happy with it, and be proud!!!!

5/ If you wish to save for something special, a holiday, wedding etc then please do so, just please remember to declare it on November 1st. The most important thing, is that you are saving ...and hopefully not tempted to take it out unnecessarily.
    If anyone has any other queries, then please sing out...though not too loudly.....you might shatter your pot/s!

6/ At the end of the year (or when we've saved for what we wish) count up all your money saved and declare your Total either by waiting until the declaration date - or (if you've needed your cash for other things - by putting your Total on your MSE signature to remind you to include it in your full Total; that particularly applies to those using their money for holidays etc, but PLEASE remember to return to the thread on the 1st November to declare those Totals to me.
    Some members prefer not to keep too much money in the house and count theirs up every now and then to bank it, in which case they always pop the amount banked on their MSE signatures.

7/ KEEP YOUR POT or POTS SAFE!! If you hide it, be sure to remember where you put it as it wouldn't be the first time that members have forgotten where they've hidden it!

8/ "Holding Pots": To anyone concerned about putting money into their pot...then possibly needing it later in the week/month: Why not use an unsealed pot or purse as a "holding pot" and pop the money in there first each day/week/month - then, if it's not needed (for car parking costs, little Johnnie's school trip etc) - put it in your Sealed pot so it stays put. Do that each week and it'll save you taking money from the bank. Discipline yourself to only take what's needed though!

9/ "Where to take bags of cash at the end of the year?": With regards to this all important question, here's vital help from girl at play: "I bank with Bank of Scotland and they accept as many change bags as you have, as long as you take them to the business banking counter." Thank you so much GAP, it's so handy for members to know. This applies to many banks, I suspect most banks/building societies are the same if truth be known. Remember also that most banks have counting machines, so any of you who really don't like counting money, take them in and let the machine do the counting for you; you'll get a receipt which you then take to the counter. PLEASE - DON'T EVER CHANGE IT IN ONE OF THE COINSTAR MACHINES AT THE ENTRANCES OF SUPER MARKETS.... THEY WILL TAKE AROUND 10% OF YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!

10/ Members who do not return by the end of November of any year will sadly now lose their numbers as, many people who sign up to the challenge then don't bother returning! To be fair, I think a lot get swept up in the excitement of it all, but then, for one reason of another, can't or don't wish to keep it up, but that then leaves me with a long list of non savers on the list which makes things very difficult over time. Any saving members won't be at all worried about this - but if those 'defaulting' (bad word, but...!) members remember, then - come on back and ask for another number, you will always be be more than welcome!

On the 2 posts below is a list of members and their numbers, always display your No on your signatures please, that makes life so much easier for me and my DH when counting up all of our Totals. In December or thereabouts I declare the Grand Total of ALL that we members have collected, and what a terrific sight that is! Please declare your savings ASAP on or close to the 1st November please.

Just a quiet word of warning to all those in the Cambridge area - forget ever thinking of looking for roadkill there as jakes-mum will even tackle you the ground to get to it first! Though, how about challenging her!!

Once again, we've just had a fantastic year, let's keep it up and see what we can achieve this year. Good luck everyone and save well!!

PLEASE take note everyone Thursday 1st Nov is the closing date for 2018, the day we declare what we've saved on the thread, kindly declare your monies saved within 2 weeks of the 1st, thank you kindly.

Anyone wishing to join us please post on the thread to ask and I'll give you a number and an official welcome so you can join in the fun......and please do note that...time means any time of year!

It's Never Too Late To Join Us! and You Never Need To Re-join....well, unless you stop visiting us in November! However.......you can always return to the fold and be made very welcome!

Many thanks for reading
    , Sue
    Last edited by Sue-UU; 04-11-2017 at 6:50 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 = 163.95 09 = 315.78 10 = 518.80 11 = 481.87 12 = 694.53 13 = 1200.20! 14 = 881 15 = 839.21 16 = 870.48 17 = 871.52 18 = 800.00 Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = 32.154.32! 2010 = 37.581.47! 2011 = 42.474.34! 2012 = 49.759.46! 2013 = 50.642.78! 2014 = 61.367.88!! 2015 = 52.852.06! 2016 = 52, 002.40!! 2017 = 50.456.23!!!!

Page 68
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 7th Nov 18, 4:25 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 48,519 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    Only Declarations To Be Put On THIS THREAD From Now On PLEASE Folks!

The Link to SPC 12 can be found HERE

Hello Sue

*hangs head in shame*

I lost my way this year and haven't visited for a looooong time.

If you'll still have me i'd like to declare 883.44 for #071 SPC11

I am now officially debt free and broke haha.....

See you on SPC12
    Originally posted by crimson.addict

Hello there Ruth! Don't be daft, put your head up. We're always pleased to see old-timers (in the nicest possible way), though it would be fantastic to see a lot more of you, even if it were only once a month! It's the 7th today, how about coming back on the 7th of each month; you don't need to say a lot, but it does at least keep the thread flowing a little more. It's been so dead here that you wouldn't believe so your presence every so often would be amazing!

Anyway, back on track and excellent saving Ruth!!!! Congratulations on a wonderful sum, for being debt-free too!!!!! For now, see you over on 12.

Hi all As usual rubbish at posting this year -again!
    Thanks to Sue for all your hard work. Congratulations to everyone for some great savings no matter the amount.

# 65 declaring a total this year of 1311.38
    Originally posted by rasp

WOW, they're coming out of the woodwork today!!
    Hello to you also, Rasp , great to see you, though...a little more often would be marvellous as well as keeping SPC flowing far more. We really miss folk like you & Ruth, a monce a month visit would make me ecstatic!!!!

Brilliant saving Rasp!!!!!!! You do yourself so proud, keep it up! Thank you for your kind words and I'll see you over on 12.

Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 = 163.95 09 = 315.78 10 = 518.80 11 = 481.87 12 = 694.53 13 = 1200.20! 14 = 881 15 = 839.21 16 = 870.48 17 = 871.52 18 = 800.00 Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = 32.154.32! 2010 = 37.581.47! 2011 = 42.474.34! 2012 = 49.759.46! 2013 = 50.642.78! 2014 = 61.367.88!! 2015 = 52.852.06! 2016 = 52, 002.40!! 2017 = 50.456.23!!!!

• MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 8th Nov 18, 1:41 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 2,882 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    Quick update after paying my coins in successfully at HSBC, one pound coin got rejected and I didn't have a replacement on me, so 286.50 paid in instead
    Xmas 2018 #8 372 / 365 * (2017 496.53; 2016 424.32) * SPCNo.12 #66 (11 480.95; 10 682.31; 9 442.64)
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 8th Nov 18, 4:20 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 48,519 Thanks
    Sue-UU

Ok thanks MrsShazbat.

• motivated
    • By motivated 8th Nov 18, 7:49 PM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 4,686 Thanks
    motivated
    I'm soooo late to the party sorry Sue and all the potters

I have been potting but not updating. Life just got in the way

# 091 with the grand total of 375.

Wish I was more on the ball this year but at least I made something

Will deffo be more with it next year.

New pot at the ready
    X
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 9th Nov 18, 3:12 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 48,519 Thanks
    Sue-UU

Not to worry, motivated, you're here now (or were) and that's what matters. As a member of the human race (honest!) I do understand how life gets in the way of what we need/want to do, and falling downstairs didn't help me earlier this year either!

Anyway, we're both here now and pressing on.

You've still done brilliantly with your savings, congratulations to you!!!! At least you got something right, me too!!

I'll see you over on SPC 12 and hopefully, you'll be with us a little more this time round.

• findingmyfeet
    • By findingmyfeet 10th Nov 18, 11:57 AM
    • 494 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    findingmyfeet
    hi everyone,

sorry im late im just back from my holidays. iam pleased to declare

tough year so really pleased

thank you sue uu
    sealed pot member no :435 2011- 306.68 2012-304.36 2013- 387.44 2014 - 441.43 482.30
    • findingmyfeet
    • By findingmyfeet 10th Nov 18, 11:58 AM
    • 494 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    findingmyfeet
    sorry forgot my number is 435 and can i go in again for this new year, thank you
    sealed pot member no :435 2011- 306.68 2012-304.36 2013- 387.44 2014 - 441.43 482.30
    • ERPY85
    • By ERPY85 12th Nov 18, 6:29 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    ERPY85
    Hi Sue. I'm popping my 112 on here as per your message following my post on the SPC 12 thread. However I wasn't a SPC member at all last year for SPC 11, I just happened to have pot at home I coincidentally opened around the same time. It wasn't officially an SPC pot :-) You're more than welcome to add it if you want though :-)
    Determined to manage my debts - DRO in progress 2018 - Lets make 2019 a fresh start!
    SPC Challenge 12 (2018/19) No 112
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 12th Nov 18, 7:14 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 48,519 Thanks
    Sue-UU

You've every right to be thrilled to bits, findingmyfeet, that's a fantastic amount saved!!!! Congratulations to you, you should be really proud!!!!!
    Of course you're in for next year, there's no signing up again here! Lovely to see you and if and when you get chance to call into SPC 12 we'd love to see you!

Of course you weren't ERPY85, yet I spoke to you as though you were an old timer. Apologies to you for that awful treatment.

Anyway, congratulations to you on great savings!!!!! Too darn right I'll add it to SPC 11, try stopping me!!

• curly33
    • By curly33 12th Nov 18, 8:59 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    curly33
    No. 048 declaring 260 please. I've been useless on year this here although still saving. Had alot going on in our new house renovations. Sorry I'm late!

Curly
    Xx
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member no. 048
    SPC4 = 392.34
    SPC5= 585
    SP6 = 341
    SP7 = 110.50
    SP8 335.00SP9 = 404.49 SP10 = 417.13 SP11 260
    • klbooth
    • By klbooth 12th Nov 18, 9:26 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    klbooth
    Whoops, for some reason I had the middle of the month in my head, sorry I am late to the party. I have included my various coin saving challenges, end of week reconciliations and Christmas savings scheme and have completely surprised myself. Never done this before and am so chuffed that not only will Christmas be easy and no January dreaded credit card bill that sets me up for failure over the whole year but we are desperate for a new sofa and will be able to organise that as well as take the strain off birthdays in the new year.. So thankful I stumbled upon these challenges here this year.

Number 39 reporting 4115.90 for the year
    1P #13 431.22/667.95;2 #30 66;50p #8 34.50;20p #100 32.60;SPC #39 4115.90;VSPC #15 750.99;PAYDOBX 2018 #118 10014/10014 (100%);GC Jan 483.58/450; Feb 390.32/430; Mar 260.41/410; Apr 396.17/410; May 368.57/400; Jun 448.23/390; Jul 641.90/500; Aug 704.21/500; Sep 181.93/400
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 13th Nov 18, 5:54 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 48,519 Thanks
    Sue-UU

Hi Curly and wonderful to see you again. You've not done too bad, I've just checked and your Target was for 300 so 40 under isn't that bad if you've been shelving out for renovations. So, be proud of yourself. Congratulations on a great amount and I look forward to hopefully seeing you soon over on SPC 12. The closing date for next year is 31st October!!

By heck haven't you done incredibly well, klbooth!!!!!
    Very many congratulations to you on fantastic savings!!!!!! Little wonder you're so chuffed with yourself as having Christmas covered is such a relief!! See you on SPC 12!

• AntoMac
    • By AntoMac 14th Nov 18, 9:16 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    AntoMac
    Skulking in to declare 193.11 which is miles below my target.

To say I lost my way this year is an understatement. I was a long time AWOL. Apologies

Thank you Sue for all your hard work
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 46

27/5/17 Mort 64705 BTs 19040
    17/9/17 Mort 62577 BTs 17602
    31/12/17 Mort 59815 BTs 16737
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 15th Nov 18, 4:44 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 48,519 Thanks
    Sue-UU

A VERY warm welcome back, Antomac!!!! I honestly thought you'd forsaken us! Thrilled to bits you haven't though.

Congratulations on a really good amount saved, though as you say it's nowhere near what you normally save, but be happy with it nonetheless Ant as it's a darned sight better than not having saved at all!

Whether you lost your way or not, you're still potting and that's what matters. Try for a better sum this year, and come on the thread and chat to us, please. Until then, I'm really looking forward to seeing you on SPC 12 Ant.

• charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 16th Nov 18, 3:12 PM
    • 802 Posts
    • 5,688 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Sorry for the late declaration, I've been poorly.

I'll list what i saved and see which ones count.
    Topcashback- 140.63
    Park hamper vouchers- 600
    Money Jar- 35 bagged

TOTAL- 775.63

anything not bagged has gone back in to start off next years.
    LBM in April 17 - 11907/33554 (35.4%) paid.
    2018 PAID OFF TARGET 6283/5000 (125.66% paid)
    Mortgage@1 June 18 = 1134/76350 Total debt @ 1st June 18=102311 100337
    SPC #016
    • rockabillygirl
    • By rockabillygirl 16th Nov 18, 6:24 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    rockabillygirl
    So sorry for declaring late. Total 193.00.
    Off to join the 2019 challenge
    It will all be ok in the end - if it's not ok, then it's not the end!
    Saving for Xmas 2018 #27. :
    Sealed pot challenge #32
    Mortgage paid off.
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 16th Nov 18, 9:40 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 48,519 Thanks
    Sue-UU

There's a simple answer, Charlies tribe, they ALL count!!!! So, altogether that's amazing saving, because whichever way you look at it, they're all savings!! Many congratulations to you!!!!!!
    I hope you're as thrilled with it as I am for you.

So sorry to hear you've been poorly CT, and I hope you'll soon feel much better. I look forward to seeing you over on SPC 12.

Hello again rockabillygirl, it's wonderful to see you back!

Congratulations on a lovely sum of cash very well saved!!!!!
    I'll see you on SPC 12 shortly.

• apricity
    • By apricity 17th Nov 18, 2:23 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    apricity
    I declare

would have been more but work had a bake sale & PJ day so I took some change out thursday & friday. Not bad considering i don't use cash at all too often. Will definatly use cash from now on,
    Last edited by apricity; Yesterday at 2:41 PM.
    SPC #609 - 9.09
    EF - 105
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 18th Nov 18, 12:05 AM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 48,519 Thanks
    Sue-UU

Hi apricity, it's good to see you! Though if you could please declare sooner in future as folk who aren't back after 2 weeks are taken off, as is stated in the first pot.

Anyway, congratulations on what you managed to save!! Better luck next time, and - do seal your pot!! See you over on SPC 12.
    BTW Could you please note that you have a new No which is 016, if you could swap it on your siggy I'd be really pleased.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,217Users online

Martin's Twitter