Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gemstars
    • By gemstars 31st Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    • 508Posts
    • 175Thanks
    gemstars
    Window replacement quotes before completion
    • 31st Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    Window replacement quotes before completion 31st Oct 17 at 9:44 AM
    Hi,

Does anyone know of a company who will quote for replacement windows and doors before completion?

This is for a vacant property I am looking to buy, which would need complete renovation. I'd start with the windows, but having never replaced any before I have absolutely no clue how much it would cost.

Alternatively, are there any tools out there I could use to estimate the price?
Page 1
    • magn8p
    • By magn8p 31st Oct 17, 11:13 AM
    • 242 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    magn8p
    • 31st Oct 17, 11:13 AM
    • 31st Oct 17, 11:13 AM
    I always find the whatprice website very handy when it comes to comparing the quotes I get from handymen/builders. As you know, the location also plays a crucial role in the cost. Give this a try and of course other resources you get by googling.

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/costs/replacement-window-calculator.php
    • 166million
    • By 166million 7th Jan 18, 12:02 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 5,061 Thanks
    166million
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:02 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:02 PM
    Is there a similar quote website for doors?
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 No. 90: Emergency fund 637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
    • missprice
    • By missprice 7th Jan 18, 1:46 PM
    • 3,347 Posts
    • 107,669 Thanks
    missprice
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:46 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:46 PM
    Is there a similar quote website for doors?
    Originally posted by 166million
    Internal or external?
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 !!!128549;
    • Corporal Perkins
    • By Corporal Perkins 7th Jan 18, 2:26 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Corporal Perkins
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:26 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:26 PM
    I always find the whatprice website very handy when it comes to comparing the quotes I get from handymen/builders. As you know, the location also plays a crucial role in the cost. Give this a try and of course other resources you get by googling.

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/costs/replacement-window-calculator.php
    Originally posted by magn8p
    Anyone using these types of online calculators should do so with the caveat that the softwood and hardwood windows will be mass produced windows which are fine anything made to the clients exact requirement (sizes,mouldings,numerous glazing options) will cost substantially more.

Mass produced windows tend to be constructed with poor grades of timber and low build quality. Basically more often than not you get what you pay for and bespoke Joinery will have far more options than mass produced Joinery.Mass produced Joinery has its place and will do the job but don't tend to last as long or look as good as purpose made bespoke Joinery.

Companies such as Jeld-Wen, Magnet,Premdor etc are low quality products but if budgets are tight will do the job adequately.
    Last edited by Corporal Perkins; 07-01-2018 at 2:30 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,901Posts Today

6,709Users online

Martin's Twitter