Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 11,148Posts
    • 59,854Thanks
    edinburgher
    The Edcawber Principle
    • 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    The Edcawber Principle 30th Oct 17 at 5:22 PM
    I think I promised a new and improved positive diary earlier on in the summer

I'll try my best to keep it short and sweet, (unlike my credit card statements). Cutting a long story short, after renovating the house and an accidental car purchase (hey, it could've been a house!) we are probably better candidates for DFW

We're now left with a much more relaxing house (we just finished our bedroom), a new car and 20,000 in credit card debt

The new job goes fairly well, all things considered and our budget is starting to balance on a month-to-month basis. Basically I've said yes to everything, which is lovely, but immature. Mrs E realises the lie of the land and is supporting efforts to get back on an even keel. I'm eb@ying, saving cashback and making overpayments every Monday.

DD and Mrs E are doing fabby, DD is the apple of our eye and remains chatty, affectionate and madcap
Page 9
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 5th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Yay - weekend!

I am about to explode after I took DD into town to have a lovely Greek lunch with Mrs E. The poor wee soul is a bit clingy at the moment and told me she was 'too sad for Mummy' (bless). Bread, olives, houmous, tzatziki, fried courgettes and vegetarian moussaka

Unfortunately our guests for this evening cancelled at the last minute due to illness, so I have 2 roast chickens, 2.5kg of roasties and a mountain of veg to find a home for

Feeling a bit skint, but payday arrives a week on Tuesday. I have been doing some research into reducing the amount of plastic that we use (both depression at the state of our recycling bin and the documentary that everyone saw). It looks a lot easier to get rid of plastics in the bathroom than other rooms of the house, although Mrs E seems less convinced....

0.31 paid off CC (cashback).
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,867 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Poor DD, poor guests! I know you'll find a home for all that food, though

I've been pondering the plastic too ... from using everything to the max (no half filled rubbish bags!) to the food - have you noticed that tomato sauce is often cheaper in plastic bottles than it is in glass bottles? Grrr. And olive oil never used to be sold in plastic bottles. I only buy for me, but it will add up ...
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 5th Jan 18, 8:02 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,867 Thanks
    ZTD
    I have been doing some research into reducing the amount of plastic that we use (both depression at the state of our recycling bin and the documentary that everyone saw). It looks a lot easier to get rid of plastics in the bathroom
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    That's assuming they fit down the toilet.

than other rooms of the house, although Mrs E seems less convinced....
    Perhaps she thinks it'll block the pipes..?

I've been pondering the plastic too ... from using everything to the max (no half filled rubbish bags!) to the food - have you noticed that tomato sauce is often cheaper in plastic bottles than it is in glass bottles?
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Because plastic bottles use far less energy. Although people (usually politicians) think that because you can't see them, electricity and time are free - they're not. Which is why recycling of most everything (except glass and metals) involves compulsion and subsidy.

Grrr. And olive oil never used to be sold in plastic bottles. I only buy for me, but it will add up ...
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I have bad news for you both - you will make zero difference.

https://news.sky.com/story/just-10-rivers-carry-90-of-plastic-polluting-the-oceans-11167581

But on the bright side, a TV producer is now strutting around going "I'm an influencer." to anyone who will listen.

I didn't see the documentary. Did it involve the "research" of fish eating plastic? https://retractionwatch.com/2017/12/07/author-controversial-science-fish-microplastics-paper-committed-intentional-misconduct-says-uppsala/

There are ways of getting rid of plastic, but since they don't involve feeling "involved", they're not sexy and not mentioned.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_roads

What irritates me, is that since they stopped the free supermarket bags, I've had to buy bin liners to put in a bin for the first time in my life.

Yes, actually buying stuff whose single-use is to throw away...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 5th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 6,085 Posts
    • 32,227 Thanks
    AlexLK
    I haven't seen it (well, there's a surprise ). Also haven't bought olive oil in plastic bottles either?

I'm sure your finances will pick up.

Greek lunch sound fantastic.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    Mortgage Overpayments 1,750
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 5th Jan 18, 11:10 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    No ZTD, it didn't specifically mention that research, but I was aware of the link you posted. Thanks for popping in, you always know how to cheer me up
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 6th Jan 18, 10:03 AM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 21,300 Thanks
    Watty1
    I remain unconvinced by the whole plastics thing. Plastic must be so cheap to produce ... but partially it could be resolved by effort on the producers of the stuff rather than bemoaning the man in the streets efforts. I shopped recently in a huge private supermarket that gave me free but very robust paper carrier bags. I've never understood why shops don't give out paperbags.... oh yes...cost that was it yes! to them. And manufacturers put stuff in plastic because it is cheaper and the yes...surprise surprise....its not recyclable.
    (climbs of soap box of moaning)
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: 132,995 Aug 2015 0
    Overpaid next mortgage. 79,491 down to 27152
    Changing focus for now
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 6th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Yes Watty, plastic is cheap to produce and that's one of the reasons suppliers use it. The problem for me is that you talk about "bemoaning the man in the street's efforts". Surely those efforts must include realising that we are all part of the problem and that unpopular things such as changing our habits, writing to the companies that our pensions likely invest in and being prepared to pay slightly more for goods if planet friendly packaging costs more are all part of the deal? Why would companies take the lead if a) it would reduce their profits and b) their customers are apathetic?

Climbs off his own soapbox! I am learning about all these things, but am not happy to accept the naysayers who claim that everything is China's fault, there's no point as the planet is !!!!ed anyway and that something something smartarse reason as to why we should do nothing and basically ignore the fact that we're drowning in our own junk This is a journey for us and while I've been happy with some things we've achieved (solar panels, greatly reduced electricity and gas usage, mebbe 80% recycling of waste), I don't think we're doing enough.
    Last edited by edinburgher; 06-01-2018 at 1:51 PM.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 6th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Back to better habits for the New Year!

I got a lovely lie in this morning and didn't roll downstairs until 09:30

Went to the gym, updated the spreadsheets (0.86 paid off CC) and am waiting for DD to get up from her nap so that we can go for a family trip to the park.

Managed to pick up some ridiculous bargains at Morrison's last night, 0.25 all in for 4 packets of square sausage and some Cumberland sausages. The square sausage looks to be a bit shitty in the quality stakes, but will make a passable stew gussied up with some onions and gravy

I have reset my seller details with Am@zon so that I can list a dozen or so CDs and DVDs, time for a bit of a clear out. I also need to replace our letterbox as it's so rattly I'm starting to suspect that we have a ghost

Have a lovely weekend everyone.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Jan 18, 2:17 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,867 Thanks
    ZTD
    No ZTD, it didn't specifically mention that research, but I was aware of the link you posted. Thanks for popping in, you always know how to cheer me up
    Cheery spirit should always arise from avoiding wasting time, money, and effort on nonsense...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,867 Thanks
    ZTD
    I shopped recently in a huge private supermarket that gave me free but very robust paper carrier bags. I've never understood why shops don't give out paperbags.... oh yes...cost that was it yes! to them.
    Originally posted by Watty1
    It's because paper bags aren't as good. Try this experiment:
    1. Load up a paper bag with tins
    2. Get it wet
    3. Pick it up

And manufacturers put stuff in plastic because it is cheaper and the yes...surprise surprise....its not recyclable.
    (climbs of soap box of moaning)
    Originally posted by Watty1
    Actually it is recyclable. Plastic bags can be easily recycled into fire, and onwards to electricity which can be used all over the house.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,867 Thanks
    ZTD
    The square sausage looks to be a bit shitty in the quality stakes,
    Found a cat collar in there?

I also need to replace our letterbox as it's so rattly I'm starting to suspect that we have a ghost
    Why is it rattly - has the spring gone?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 6th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 1,951 Posts
    • 20,899 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    On the plastics subject, we were wondering why there is no enzyme to convert it back to whence it came (i.e. oil) yet. We felt sure somebody clever must be working on it but you never hear anything. I might get DH to look into this (he was an industrial plastics engineer in automotive design for a number of years) as it is a chemical process to produce it so there should be an opposite reaction possible too
    MFiT T4 #2 update 88.72% after Q9 tiny bit ahead of where I should be
    Save 12k in 2018 #53 - after May 45.81% 4,581.38/10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 1,021.80/3,000 including stores so far 34.06% of my annual budget at the end of May
    My DFD is here
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 6th Jan 18, 5:01 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Actually it is recyclable. Plastic bags can be easily recycled into fire, and onwards to electricity which can be used all over the house.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Oh I do love the smell of a nice open fire as the carrier bags melt. Said nobody ever.

Hey ho, it wouldn't be the internet if there wasn't a disagreement.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,867 Thanks
    ZTD
    Oh I do love the smell of a nice open fire as the carrier bags melt. Said nobody ever.
    You generate electricity from your open fire?

Cool!
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 6th Jan 18, 5:58 PM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 30,150 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    ZTD same here about carrier bags as binliners.
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 6th Jan 18, 6:03 PM
    • 16,606 Posts
    • 109,662 Thanks
    gallygirl

Managed to pick up some ridiculous bargains at Morrison's last night, 0.25 all in for 4 packets of square sausage and some Cumberland sausages. The square sausage looks to be a bit shitty in the quality stakes, but will make a passable stew gussied up with some onions and gravy
    We introduced Mr GG's son to square sausage last month, washed down with Scotland's national drink .

I thought you were a culinary expert Ed? How can you consider doing anything with square sausage except dish up up for brekkie or for lunch in a well-fired Scotch roll (with brown sauce obviously)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,867 Thanks
    ZTD
    ZTD same here about carrier bags as binliners.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Well in a masterstroke of poor timing, someone developed bins specifically designed to use carrier bage just before the announcement.

They're still around, but at 5p per shot, I won't be partaking.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/271979308378

I wonder if the "Charity bag" holder is coming next?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 6th Jan 18, 6:14 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    We introduced Mr GG's son to square sausage last month, washed down with Scotland's national drink .

I thought you were a culinary expert Ed? How can you consider doing anything with square sausage except dish up up for brekkie or for lunch in a well-fired Scotch roll (with brown sauce obviously)
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    I'm a maverick

Can go one further with the roll. It has to be a Morton's roll! It should also be eaten with Iron Bru, preferably with a stinking hangover

But that wouldn't be cheap crap, you'd have prepared with something nice, a good steak slice like We Hae Meat

Edit: mebbe some ketchup.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Jan 18, 7:35 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,867 Thanks
    ZTD
    On the plastics subject, we were wondering why there is no enzyme to convert it back to whence it came (i.e. oil) yet.
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Although the initial feedstock is crude oil, that oil is broken down into gasses (via "cat cracking"), and it's these gasses which are used for the industrial production of plastics.

The plastics (polymers) are made by joining together the monomers in long chains, so starting with ethene, you end up with what should be called polyethene, but is polythene, as well as propene, you end up with polypropene - there's loads of others, but you see how that goes.

If you were to invent a enzyme to break them back up at some sort of rational temperature (you can break them up right now by setting fire to them), the easy severing of a carbon-carbon bond would lead to all sorts of problems. The carbon-carbon bond holding plastics together, is the same one which holds carbohydrates together, which holds fats together, which holds lignin together and which holds protein/flesh together.

Such an enzyme would dissolve all carbon-based life into goo.

That's not good (IMHO).
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Jan 18, 8:14 PM
    • 6,085 Posts
    • 32,227 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Whilst I suffer no guilt re. environment, I think people are far too quick to throw things away, sometimes due to (perceived) efficiency / environmental issues. Personally, I think materials ending up on landfill sites prematurely is worse than running something slightly less efficient for longer.

Anyhow, what's a square sausage?
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    Mortgage Overpayments 1,750
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,309Posts Today

6,884Users online

Martin's Twitter