Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 30th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 11,456Posts
    • 61,266Thanks
    edinburgher
    The Edcawber Principle
    • 30th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    The Edcawber Principle 30th Oct 17 at 4:22 PM
    I think I promised a new and improved positive diary earlier on in the summer

I'll try my best to keep it short and sweet, (unlike my credit card statements). Cutting a long story short, after renovating the house and an accidental car purchase (hey, it could've been a house!) we are probably better candidates for DFW

We're now left with a much more relaxing house (we just finished our bedroom), a new car and 20,000 in credit card debt

The new job goes fairly well, all things considered and our budget is starting to balance on a month-to-month basis. Basically I've said yes to everything, which is lovely, but immature. Mrs E realises the lie of the land and is supporting efforts to get back on an even keel. I'm eb@ying, saving cashback and making overpayments every Monday.

DD and Mrs E are doing fabby, DD is the apple of our eye and remains chatty, affectionate and madcap
Page 70
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 3rd Apr 19, 3:59 PM
    • 11,456 Posts
    • 61,266 Thanks
    edinburgher
    NW?

Glad that you had a good break in the Burgh
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Net worth...
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 8th Apr 19, 4:40 PM
    • 11,456 Posts
    • 61,266 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Back from a very enjoyable day at the Brewd0g AGM It's rare to have a day off and I'm sure that my batteries will feel recharged tomorrow

Four hours on public transport with a hangover has made me decide that I am now too old for hangovers and that I will be changing my habits to stick to NHS guidelines from now on

I'm not one of those people who promises to cut back drinking every time they feel a bit rough the next day, I just don't think it's worth it any more.

76.39 paid off a CC (1/19th of the money Mrs E BTed for me). This month will see 400+ getting paid off and the debt will fall under 15k.

Fingers crossed my backdated pay et. al should be resolved tomorrow.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Apr 19, 7:15 PM
    • 62,695 Posts
    • 272,705 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on the debt being under 15k this month
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 8th Apr 19, 8:48 PM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 7,654 Thanks
    teapot2
    Hope its positive re backdated pay etc and great to be sub 15k - well done
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 8th Apr 19, 9:54 PM
    • 2,698 Posts
    • 26,071 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Back from a very enjoyable day at the Brewd0g AGM It's rare to have a day off and I'm sure that my batteries will feel recharged tomorrow

Four hours on public transport with a hangover has made me decide that I am now too old for hangovers and that I will be changing my habits to stick to NHS guidelines from now on

I'm not one of those people who promises to cut back drinking every time they feel a bit rough the next day, I just don't think it's worth it any more.

76.39 paid off a CC (1/19th of the money Mrs E BTed for me). This month will see 400+ getting paid off and the debt will fall under 15k.

Fingers crossed my backdated pay et. al should be resolved tomorrow.
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    My epiphany was when we had been to a works do and I could not remember large bits of the evening. Hearing reports of myself and what I talked about with people really shocked me. I am naturally quite chatty but I could have been inappropriately indiscreet so that was it. I still have a little drink now and again but never really drunk. As a grown up (well, I aspire to be one!) I have to be a bit more responsible for my own behaviour plus health and wellbeing. Ooh I sound grown up!

I was up your way at the weekend, enroute from my Mum's in Ayrshire to the Highlands, DH and I stayed near the airport.
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 26,242.80 after Mar
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 3,669.04 after Mar
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is 3k - 27.62% spent so far, after April
    My DFD is here
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 9th Apr 19, 8:18 AM
    • 11,456 Posts
    • 61,266 Thanks
    edinburgher
    My epiphany was when we had been to a works do and I could not remember large bits of the evening...

I was up your way at the weekend, enroute from my Mum's in Ayrshire to the Highlands, DH and I stayed near the airport.
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    My example is a little more prosaic - I couldn't remember finding a coach or the entire coach trip from the conference centre to the hotel. It's only perhaps 25 minutes, but unless I was abducted by aliens, that's just unacceptable.

I hope you waved?

Backdated pay is fairly hearty, about 600 or so more than usual. There was also an extra paid off my student loan and a larger than usual pension payment. Sehr gut!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Apr 19, 2:43 PM
    • 62,695 Posts
    • 272,705 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on the extra pennies.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 11th Apr 19, 11:01 AM
    • 2,698 Posts
    • 26,071 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    My example is a little more prosaic - I couldn't remember finding a coach or the entire coach trip from the conference centre to the hotel. It's only perhaps 25 minutes, but unless I was abducted by aliens, that's just unacceptable.

I hope you waved?

Backdated pay is fairly hearty, about 600 or so more than usual. There was also an extra paid off my student loan and a larger than usual pension payment. Sehr gut!
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    Of course I waved

At least you finally have that back pay. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, as we say, or
    na ja, das ist das Leben
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 26,242.80 after Mar
    My DFD is here
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 13th Apr 19, 8:44 AM
    • 11,456 Posts
    • 61,266 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Happy weekend all

I am a wee bit zonked. Trying to get back into better habits a la less booze post and have been watching what I eat for the last week. I have also signed up for a few sessions with a personal trainer focused around weightlifting and that is going great guns. It's hard work, but so much more rewarding than jogging (not a chafed nipple in sight)!

Too early for progress, but it feels good The sessions were covered by a Father's Day present from Mrs E, so only ended up costing me a fiver

Not much financial news to report. Spreadsheets updated, all pots funded and I actually made an OP. That 1.64 will take years off.
    • Lois_E
    • By Lois_E 13th Apr 19, 8:26 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 15,087 Thanks
    Lois_E
    Hello again Edinburgher
    I'm back on MFW after a 4+ year gap, and you're one of the ones I recognise. I hope all is going well for you and Mrs E. It certainly sounds like you're going great guns with getting rid of the CCs.
    Serious respect for doing weightlifting with a personal trainer! I know I ought to do something about getting fitter, but at present there are too many other things in my life that are higher priorities.
    Starting again 13/4/19
    Home loan 1: 21,102.50 Home loan 2: 7,698.99
    Total owed: 28,801.49
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 14th Apr 19, 2:42 PM
    • 11,456 Posts
    • 61,266 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Hello again Edinburgher
    I'm back on MFW after a 4+ year gap, and you're one of the ones I recognise. I hope all is going well for you and Mrs E. It certainly sounds like you're going great guns with getting rid of the CCs.
    Serious respect for doing weightlifting with a personal trainer! I know I ought to do something about getting fitter, but at present there are too many other things in my life that are higher priorities.
    Originally posted by Lois_E
    Nice to see you again Lois_E - MFW is like the !!!!! - we try and get out and they pull us back in

1.23 paid off a CC.

A fairly quiet day for us. DD had a birthday party, I went to the gym and then I took DD out for a walk to the park after some housework. Nice and boring and down to earth
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 15th Apr 19, 7:30 AM
    • 11,456 Posts
    • 61,266 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Back to work

4.95 OPed

The universe is balanced
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 16th Apr 19, 7:16 AM
    • 11,456 Posts
    • 61,266 Thanks
    edinburgher
    1.57 OPed.

I have a gym nemesis! Chap rushed in just before me and then spent over half an hour at the squat rack, completing a grand total of 3 sets, none of which were squats

Right - head down - I didn't get enough done at work yesterday.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 17th Apr 19, 7:14 AM
    • 11,456 Posts
    • 61,266 Thanks
    edinburgher
    0.60 OPed - super disappointed as I'd expected it to be a fiver today What was that statement from the mortgage paperwork? Something about each pound paid off saving three?

I am absolutely exhausted. DD has been having disturbed sleep for the last month or so - not enough to wake her up - but enough to make us check on her 5-6 times a night. We'll need to try something new to break the pattern during the Easter break

Two days left in the office 'til the long weekend
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 17th Apr 19, 2:13 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    Zola.
    Hi Edinburgher, just curious where these micro payments come from and to?
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 18th Apr 19, 9:36 AM
    • 11,456 Posts
    • 61,266 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Hey Zola -

Tilly tidies, savings interest, cashback etc. to mortgage.
    Last edited by edinburgher; 18-04-2019 at 9:39 AM.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 18th Apr 19, 10:28 AM
    • 2,698 Posts
    • 26,071 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    again as headed back south. Back home now. Those TTs do add up - I have just a smidge under 300 in my holding account (online instant saver - it just got its' annual interest - over 70) - they are bound for the mortgage too.
    My DFD is here
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 21st Apr 19, 7:27 AM
    • 11,456 Posts
    • 61,266 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Happy Easter to those who celebrate it and happy Sunday to those who don't

We had a lovely day in the sun yesterday (early gym session for me, quick trip to the shops for hot cross buns etc. and sun tent/picnic blanket out in the back garden). The day before that was Culzean castle, we avoided paying 40+ for entry by being really cool and joinng the Naional Trust for Scotland. The logic behind that was the fact that we would have spent 4x the monthly membership cost with one day out, so it seemed like a decent idea. Now to explore what else they have to offer

I've updated spreadsheets with a few small OPs made recently and have made a CC repayment of 391.48 this morning That takes care of my minimum repayment and roughly the CB money as well. I feel that we have crossed the Rubicon somewhat, as this drops us down to under 15,000. I appreciate that's still a lot of money, but it's less than 5 months of our wages. A reverse emergency fund, if you will

Still behaving myself with food and alcohol, today will see my take on a high street coffee chain inspired non-alcoholic cocktail (cold brew coffee and tonic water over ice)

I also bought a pair of weighlifting shoes that I have been patiently waiting for to go on offer (6 weeks or so now). 43 delivered and just the thing for my squats and deadlifts

*Edit: and 3.17 OPed.
    Last edited by edinburgher; 21-04-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Apr 19, 7:16 PM
    • 62,695 Posts
    • 272,705 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on being below 15k

***Keep plodding***
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 22nd Apr 19, 7:38 AM
    • 2,698 Posts
    • 26,071 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Have a lovely day (assumes today is a B Hol in Scotland) - it has been warmer where you are that Suffolk until the last couple of days. I am back to navvying (KC's expression) in my garden today - so busy! - well done on the 15k milestone, it really does work like a magic snowball, I promise.

Who knew there were separate shoes for weightlifting? I mean tennis shoes, yes, for playing on clay and grass (the surfaces I grew up playing on, in Dunlop Green-Flash or white-flash (!) - I felt so fashionable getting my first training shoes as opposed to the plimsoles I grew up with!! - it explains the shin splints I suffered with when I went to College and ran around playing netball and basketball on the unsprung floors of the main Sports Hall. Oh how technology and our understanding of physiology have changed!
    My DFD is here
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,114Posts Today

7,233Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin