The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• Our thinking of toddler going into an English Queen size or double when he leaves his sleeping prison is, if we have guests, he can get shifted onto a blow up in our room and guests can have his bed. But then we only have a two bed house at the moment.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The 4' bed for our DS also meant Mummy fitted in the bed with him if he woke up, rather than both of us missing out because he was in our bed.

DS hated the blow-up bed. Ours is a 5' wide so he used to sleep between us with his head at our feet when we had parties and too many visitors. Somehow, after a party, he did not keep us awake... squiffy? Moi?
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Hope you dont have any snow ed.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 March 2018 at 12:18PM
    A double bed for a toddler?! You are mad, Ed!

Think about it from another POV PB, if I buy her a double bed now I don't need to buy her a single that she will grow out of by the time she hits 10 and has a growth spurt ;)
    beanielou wrote: »
    Hope you dont have any snow ed.

We had a wee bit of snow Beanie, but not enough to stop play :)
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 March 2018 at 12:17PM
    Another Monday morning rolls around... I think DD needs to be sleep trained again - she rocked up beside our bed at 23:30 last night, not a single cry or complaint, just fancied sleeping with us :(

£218.33 paid off a CC (my regular Monday payment and some money from a recycled Am@zon voucher). No fun facts, big milestones, or dei ex machina to report (although there's a small milestone coming next week) :) That said, I am pleased to see that each Monday payment reduces the required size of the following one by £1-1.50.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Her routine's been really disturbed by an illness of that length, I bet you're right about the sleep training.

The reduction of the subsequent Monday payment by £1 - £1.50 **is** a fun fact :):):) hurray!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    £1-£1.50 is quite a good amount to reduce by, I remember when my mortgage was on the £10 a day interest I was delighted every time it went down by 5p ... seamed to take forever (but it wasnt) every wee bit is a step closer ... and helps the leaps appear sooner
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Think about it from another POV PB, if I buy her a double bed now I don't need to buy her a single that she will grow out of by the time she hits 10 and has a growth spurt ;)

Is she a tall lass for her age? We bought our DD a double just last year - she's 20. Ok, we'd been trying to persuade her for a couple of years to move to a double (she was in the same single we'd bought for her when she was 2 (but had had a mattress change in that time)) - she eventually agreed to it when she started bringing her boyfriend back from uni.....:p
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    greent wrote: »
    Is she a tall lass for her age? We bought our DD a double just last year - she's 20. Ok, we'd been trying to persuade her for a couple of years to move to a double (she was in the same single we'd bought for her when she was 2 (but had had a mattress change in that time)) - she eventually agreed to it when she started bringing her boyfriend back from uni.....:p

I remember the days of DS & his GF being all squished in a single bed:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Think about it from another POV PB, if I buy her a double bed now I don't need to buy her a single that she will grow out of by the time she hits 10 and has a growth spurt ;)

How big are your ten year olds up there in Scotland Ed? :eek: Single and double beds are both 6'3" long. A single is 3' wide, a double 4'6". I'd say either should be big enough for most adults if they're not sharing the space with anyone else!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback