Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 11,361Posts
    • 60,853Thanks
    edinburgher
    The Edcawber Principle
    • 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    The Edcawber Principle 30th Oct 17 at 5:22 PM
    I think I promised a new and improved positive diary earlier on in the summer

I'll try my best to keep it short and sweet, (unlike my credit card statements). Cutting a long story short, after renovating the house and an accidental car purchase (hey, it could've been a house!) we are probably better candidates for DFW

We're now left with a much more relaxing house (we just finished our bedroom), a new car and £20,000 in credit card debt

The new job goes fairly well, all things considered and our budget is starting to balance on a month-to-month basis. Basically I've said yes to everything, which is lovely, but immature. Mrs E realises the lie of the land and is supporting efforts to get back on an even keel. I'm eb@ying, saving cashback and making overpayments every Monday.

DD and Mrs E are doing fabby, DD is the apple of our eye and remains chatty, affectionate and madcap
Page 61
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 7th Jan 19, 9:05 PM
    • 11,361 Posts
    • 60,853 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Grim day at work - the start of the first full week for most people after Christmas and everybody was in a foul mood. I tried not to let it get me down, but it is difficult.

Mega skint and looking forward to getting paid in a week.

£0.79 paid off a CC.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jan 19, 9:32 PM
    • 60,049 Posts
    • 252,043 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well at least today is done
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 8th Jan 19, 6:03 PM
    • 2,346 Posts
    • 23,781 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    My first day back today. I. am. so. tired. Less than three weeks off and my body clock had uber-shifted away from 0530 getups
    MFiT T4 #2 90.89% after Q11 against target of £60k balance - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #107
    Save £12k in 2019 - #68 target is £7k (Save £12k in 2018 saved 115.95% £13,914.45)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is £3k (2018 spent £2,684.95/£3,000 including stores 89.5%)
    My DFD is here
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 9th Jan 19, 7:34 AM
    • 11,361 Posts
    • 60,853 Thanks
    edinburgher
    My first day back today. I. am. so. tired. Less than three weeks off and my body clock had uber-shifted away from 0530 getups
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    That is tough SL - I forget - do you not work in Suffolk?

My alarm used to be set for 05:45, but 06:00 appears to be working ok (fingers crossed)
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 9th Jan 19, 7:07 PM
    • 2,346 Posts
    • 23,781 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    No, I only live here. I work in London. An hour and a half in and a bit longer out at the end of the day. Would be worse if DH did not take me to the Station in the morning and collect me most evenings. Over £6k season ticket too. No wonder I am retiring!
    MFiT T4 #2 90.89% after Q11 against target of £60k balance - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #107
    Save £12k in 2019 - #68 target is £7k (Save £12k in 2018 saved 115.95% £13,914.45)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is £3k (2018 spent £2,684.95/£3,000 including stores 89.5%)
    My DFD is here
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 12th Jan 19, 8:22 AM
    • 2,346 Posts
    • 23,781 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Not long until pay-day for you, I think. I hope you are OK!. I saw a little clip of a free motor skills thing for children and thought of Miss E here
    My DFD is here
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 12th Jan 19, 1:38 PM
    • 11,361 Posts
    • 60,853 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Not long until pay-day for you, I think. I hope you are OK!. I saw a little clip of a free motor skills thing for children and thought of Miss E here
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Great idea, I love it
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jan 19, 4:37 PM
    • 60,049 Posts
    • 252,043 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a happy weekend

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 12th Jan 19, 9:06 PM
    • 11,361 Posts
    • 60,853 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Have a happy weekend
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Cheers Beanie, going ok so far.

Started some spring gardening this morning, a nice family day, mass and a nice dinner and now relaxing with Mrs E.

Not bad for a skint Saturday.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jan 19, 9:26 PM
    • 60,049 Posts
    • 252,043 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blooming good for a skint Saturday

***Keep plodding***
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 15th Jan 19, 9:59 PM
    • 11,361 Posts
    • 60,853 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Life has been hectic.

Work crazy. £100+ unexpected vet's bill and laptop had to be rebuilt, leading to losing MS Office (a HUP copy from an old job, so could not be restored).

We have enough money to fund all our pots and pay CC minimums for February - please no more surprises!

Pay settlement ballot closes in a fortnight, so hopeful of back pay either mid-February or March...

Ps. What about that Br3xit? Crazy stuff.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Jan 19, 10:05 PM
    • 60,049 Posts
    • 252,043 Thanks
    beanielou
    Crazy indeed.

***Keep plodding***
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 16th Jan 19, 8:15 AM
    • 11,361 Posts
    • 60,853 Thanks
    edinburgher
    £1.92 paid off a CC.

Managed to obtain a working copy of Office 2016 last night for a reasonable price, although still need to obtain a refund for a faulty key that I purchased from a less than reputable site.

On a similar note, has anyone used review checking websites? I got curious last night (was buying a night light from DD, but feedback looked suspect) and it transpired that the reviews were very likely to be fake! Not something I would have thought necessary in the olden days, but it appears there's a lot of cheap Chinese tat being marketed as fantastic innovations on Am@zon et al.
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 16th Jan 19, 10:24 AM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 5,573 Thanks
    teapot2
    Unfortunately the fake reviews are a big problem on Amaz@n certainly and probably other sites. There's been quite a bit on the various forums about this; positive reviews being paid for and poor feedback being removed by 'insiders' working for the company - for a price Not good for customers or honest sellers. Also sometimes its not clear that a seller is based abroad so always worth looking closely at estimated arrival times of goods.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 16th Jan 19, 9:23 PM
    • 11,361 Posts
    • 60,853 Thanks
    edinburgher
    @teapot2 - yes, I can't abide items where the place of dispatch has been masked so that you can't see it's non-UK.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Jan 19, 9:24 PM
    • 60,049 Posts
    • 252,043 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes, this malarky seems to be getting worse.

***Keep plodding***
    • choccielover
    • By choccielover 16th Jan 19, 9:42 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 1,361 Thanks
    choccielover
    @teapot2 - yes, I can't abide items where the place of dispatch has been masked so that you can't see it's non-UK.
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    I bought something from amazon that subsequently broke, the sellers said they’d refund or replace only if I gave their product a 5* rating.....needless to say. I didn’t. To be fair to amazon they refunded me in full and removed the seller.

Bet they appeared under a different name 15 mins later though..
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Jan 19, 9:51 PM
    • 60,049 Posts
    • 252,043 Thanks
    beanielou
    I bought something from amazon that subsequently broke, the sellers said they’d refund or replace only if I gave their product a 5* rating.....needless to say. I didn’t. To be fair to amazon they refunded me in full and removed the seller.

Bet they appeared under a different name 15 mins later though..
    Originally posted by choccielover
    Sadly I would not be surprised.

***Keep plodding***
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 18th Jan 19, 8:57 PM
    • 11,361 Posts
    • 60,853 Thanks
    edinburgher
    £1.29 paid off a CC.

Happy weekend fellow freedom seekers
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Jan 19, 9:11 PM
    • 60,049 Posts
    • 252,043 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a happy weekend

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,382Posts Today

8,061Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin