Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 11,190Posts
    • 60,060Thanks
    edinburgher
    The Edcawber Principle
    • 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    The Edcawber Principle 30th Oct 17 at 5:22 PM
    I think I promised a new and improved positive diary earlier on in the summer

I'll try my best to keep it short and sweet, (unlike my credit card statements). Cutting a long story short, after renovating the house and an accidental car purchase (hey, it could've been a house!) we are probably better candidates for DFW

We're now left with a much more relaxing house (we just finished our bedroom), a new car and 20,000 in credit card debt

The new job goes fairly well, all things considered and our budget is starting to balance on a month-to-month basis. Basically I've said yes to everything, which is lovely, but immature. Mrs E realises the lie of the land and is supporting efforts to get back on an even keel. I'm eb@ying, saving cashback and making overpayments every Monday.

DD and Mrs E are doing fabby, DD is the apple of our eye and remains chatty, affectionate and madcap
Page 37
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 14th Apr 18, 7:15 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 21,357 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I'm guessing your water is a lot softer than ours. If not they are meant to be a good water softener and you could put a combination of white vinegar and soda crystals in to de-frag (technical term, that) your washing machine on the longest, hottest wash. Mind you our washing machine repair man suggested the best clean was a monthly load of white towels on the longest hottest wash, with half the detergent recommended, to get rid of any accumulating soap-scum.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 88.72% after Q9 tiny bit ahead of where I should be
    Save 12k in 2018 #53 - after June 55.17% 5,517.10/10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 1,288.55/3,000 including stores so far 42.95% of my annual budget at the end of June
    My DFD is here
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 14th Apr 18, 10:22 PM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 60,060 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Our water is lovely, no limescale. We've been using our kettle for a decade, not a hint of residue
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 15th Apr 18, 8:33 AM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 60,060 Thanks
    edinburgher
    85.32 to be paid off the CC (Am@zon voucher shuffle to buy DD a new car seat). Please with the price - there was a Flash Deal or similar to buy the same seat at 109. It looked good, but I shopped around, went full circle and found the same thing 25 cheaper

Unfortunately I've come to the realisation that MIL will probably want a new seat too and that really rankles. We paid for 1/2 of a 250 car seat for her last time and she has honestly used it 3 times since DD was born Might try and sell that one and just give her a pro rata refund for what she contributed.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 15th Apr 18, 6:08 PM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 60,060 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Mrs E has reined in my grumps - apparently DD's seat for MIL's car was a compromise choice that should last for a bit longer

Had a stressful but fun day taking DD and 4 of her cousins around Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, running around in the park like maddies and then visiting my parents.

Poor stepdad has his leg in a stookie after an accident and I helped my youngest brother build him a bed on the ground floor of their house. We have a bit of an odd relationship with them. On the one hand, they're very loving and great at keeping in touch, but we're not really the sort of family who helps each other out with practical things all that often. You know - the sort of guy you try and buy a drink for and he flat out refuses to let you (and means it)!

It felt good to be doing something helpful for him after all the teenage/young adult days where he rented vans/helped us fix confusing things or lift heavy !!!!. Not much, but a little something back
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 16th Apr 18, 9:13 AM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 60,060 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Rolled my regular Monday payment to the CCs together with a couple of others that I was unable to make over the weekend as V1rgin were busy updating my account. 282.94 paid off this morning. I also made an OP of 0.76 to the mortgage - so you can't ban me from MFW

No particular Milestones, but the Virgin CC has now ticked under 5,xxx, which means that of my 4 CCs, only 2 are above 5k. Still a lot of hard work ahead, but feeling like it might ever get paid off

Also updated NW spreadsheet (boring as the mortgage payment etc. doesn't go out for a fortnight) and am just about to complete the final set of transfer out forms for a small pension that I am consolidating. Once this is done, I'll only have one DC pension, which will make the admin very simple when I transfer to the Vanguard SIPP (hopefully by the end of the year)
    Last edited by edinburgher; 16-04-2018 at 9:57 AM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 18, 10:39 AM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,450 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Good finances, Ed (and I'm loving the 0.76 OP!) and very sweet about your stepdad. Not experienced it in the family, but I've seen a very bad teenage stepdad/stepdaughter relationship become a truly connected adult relationship. All the more powerful for that.

And I think you're an absolute hero for taking on four of little DD's cousins in one go
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 16th Apr 18, 11:23 AM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 60,060 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Oops - not taking credit for that one KC! There were 5 children and 5 parents, I'm still absolutely knackered

We were out from 10:30-17:00, that's a very long day when it comes to active time spent doing kiddy stuff.

Edit: Then again, at least one sibling was checked out as they followed the football results, so I guess it was 1.25 children per adult (or "nearly 1:1 ratio of staff to guests" (as the fancy cruise brochures boast))
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 18, 1:21 PM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,450 Thanks
    Karmacat

No adult could have done it on their own, actually, thinking about it but I still think it counts as A Jolly Good Thing especially given the timing!
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 18, 4:37 PM
    • 56,272 Posts
    • 227,702 Thanks
    beanielou
    Looking good
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 17th Apr 18, 9:39 AM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 60,060 Thanks
    edinburgher
    1.22 paid off a CC.

DD has decided that she wants to use the toilet after seeing one of her cousins toddling off to the bathroom with Mum - spontaneous toilet training?

I am off to London town tomorrow and am quite excited
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Apr 18, 11:08 AM
    • 56,272 Posts
    • 227,702 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy London Town

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 17th Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 60,060 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Woohoo - employer has offered 3% payrise

Not bad as a minimum, although I think union petitioning government for a better deal. Certainly beats the last decade...
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Apr 18, 9:14 PM
    • 56,272 Posts
    • 227,702 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the payrise.

***Keep plodding***
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 18th Apr 18, 10:49 AM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 60,060 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Making good use of my train journey to update my approach to debt repayment to something a bit more boring

Have calculated that we can repay all debts before 2020 remortgage, but will require a small budget cut and the continued use of CB. From May I will make minimum payments + one monthly repayment for the rest. Dunno what I'll do with the rest of my time

1.85 paid off a CC
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Apr 18, 11:14 AM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,450 Thanks
    Karmacat
    DD has decided that she wants to use the toilet after seeing one of her cousins toddling off to the bathroom with Mum - spontane ontaneous toilet training?
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    The best sort

And congratulations on the payrise

Enjoy London - are you seeing something pretty, like I did yesterday, or something useful for work? Or both
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 18th Apr 18, 8:22 PM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 60,060 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Neither! I'm just sort of pottering about, bit of this, bit of that
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 21st Apr 18, 8:42 AM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 21,357 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Dunno what I'll do with the rest of my time
    Set up a business? Make cheese? do odd-jobs? learn a bit about gardening so it is a bit more pleasurable?
    MFiT T4 #2 update 88.72% after Q9 tiny bit ahead of where I should be
    Save 12k in 2018 #53 - after June 55.17% 5,517.10/10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 1,288.55/3,000 including stores so far 42.95% of my annual budget at the end of June
    My DFD is here
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 21st Apr 18, 9:16 AM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 60,060 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Set up a business? Make cheese? do odd-jobs? learn a bit about gardening so it is a bit more pleasurable?
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Is it sad that the cheese one of those suggestions appeals the most?

I am also going to be spending a bit more time gardening this year, as needs must. On my list so far:
    • Set up a compost bin
    • Paint our new fence
    • Repair and paint our old fence
    • Scarify the front and side lawns
    • Probably sow the front and side lawns again!
    • Remove grass from the rear lawn and replant as a wildflower "meadow"
    • Improve the appearance of the "dead zone" where our conifer hedge was by planting some hydrangeas to act as colour, bee scran and a wind break

We had a chap in repairing brickwork to the walls of the house. He finished yesterday and while he appears to have done a solid job, I can't help but feel he was taking the !!!! as regards the amount of hours he billed for. Still, he was the only person to quote for the job and our front steps were literally at risk of collapsing 450 paid from our home maintenance fund, which is now at -5?

I also bought a scarifying rake and an extendable window cleaning pole yesterday.

74 paid off a CC (Am@zon voucher shuffle and a TT). Also, I owe the CC 11.89 once I can make another payment tomorrow morning.

Feeling a bit skint now.

Ps. Not really related to anything, but I saw a fantastic animated Chinese film called "Big Fish and Begonia" in London town - try and see it if your local cinema is showing it, so many feels
    Last edited by edinburgher; 21-04-2018 at 9:42 AM.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 21st Apr 18, 12:41 PM
    • 4,352 Posts
    • 48,664 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

I also bought a scarifying rake and an extendable window cleaning pole yesterday.

...................Feeling a bit skint now.

But at least you'll not need gym membership for the foreseeable, wielding that lot about!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug' 'Your Vibe attracts your Tribe'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 21st Apr 18, 3:24 PM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,450 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Your gardening is like mine ... it's actually navvying

Bee scran! Not seen those two words together, but that's lovely! No idea if bees actually *like* hydrangea.

If you're still into planting perennials for edibles, have a look at a quince shrub, see if you've got room for the roots round there. I have a very mature one outside my back door (completely by chance, it wasn't me that planted it) and for about 3 weeks, starting from about a week ago, its full of bees. And I often get quince later in the year.
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,124Posts Today

8,726Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin